PDA

View Full Version : Pats, Bucs to play in London in '09

Celts22
12-01-2008, 02:56 PM
LONDON -- The New England Patriots will play the Tampa Bay Buccaneers next season at Wembley Stadium, the third straight year the NFL will stage a regular-season game in the British capital.

The game will be played Oct. 25. The Bucs will be listed as the home team, giving up a game in Tampa.

"Over the past two years, we have seen first-hand the excitement that exists for our sport in the UK," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Monday in a statement. "The games have helped us to deepen our connection with our UK fans as well as create new ones. We are looking forward to another outstanding game in 2009."

Five weeks ago, the New Orleans Saints beat the San Diego Chargers 37-32 before 83,000 fans at Wembley. Last season, the New York Giants defeated the Miami Dolphins 13-10. Both games were sold out.

The NFL is also expected to play a regular-season game in London in 2010.

The Buccaneers are owned by the Glazer family, the same group that runs defending Premier League champion Manchester United.

"The Tampa Bay Buccaneers organization is extremely excited and honored to be chosen to participate in the NFL international series," Buccaneers executive vice president Joel Glazer said. "We look forward to being part of the NFL's global outreach and playing our great game in front of Buccaneers fans overseas."

The Patriots and Buccaneers have combined to win four of the past seven Super Bowls, although New England lost to the Giants in last season's title game. The Patriots won the Super Bowl following the 2001, '03 and '04 seasons, while the Bucs won the championship after the '02 season.

"We have had a lot of memorable moments in recent years," Patriots chairman Robert Kraft said. "I think it is fitting that New England's first game to be played outside of North America will be in England. I know that the UK is home to some of our most passionate Patriots fans and we look forward to the experience."

espn.com

BRADY4MVP
12-01-2008, 04:17 PM
glad we dont have to give up the home game

BTownTeamsRKing
12-01-2008, 04:25 PM
i hate the nfl going global. this isnt helping anyone

if they wanna do this, then do it right.

they should add another game to every teams schedule in which they go outside the country if they really wanna get this thing goin into something that will payoff. btw not my idea, heard this idea some where else.

The Intimidator
12-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Let me go get my tea and crumpets...:rolleyes:

Red_Sox_89
12-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Let me go get my tea and crumpets...:rolleyes:

Haha, can you imagine if they did that. Instead of a guy asking "Coors or Bud Light?", they'll be asking "Regular of decaffeinated?" Haha

The Intimidator
12-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Haha, can you imagine if they did that. Instead of a guy asking "Coors or Bud Light?", they'll be asking "Regular of decaffeinated?" Haha

They drink their beer warm over in England. My Uncle lives over there.

Red_Sox_89
12-01-2008, 06:12 PM
They drink their beer warm over in England. My Uncle lives over there.

**** that. I need my beer to be cold. Mountains gotta be blue!

The Intimidator
12-01-2008, 08:33 PM
**** that. I need my beer to be cold. Mountains gotta be blue!

:cheers:

CheeseOnMyHead
12-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Unlike most, I actually like the NFL trying to globalize itself. The only problem is it would only work in somewhat well-off countries like Britain because many countries are too poor for organized football, unless they did a Dominican Republic sort of thing like baseball did.

JWalk126
12-02-2008, 12:47 AM
Whiskey anyone?

Patsfan56
12-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Does this tie in with either team's bye week? Do we have the 2009 schedules yet?

WTF??? I hate this idea.

Didn't we through that friggin' tea in the harbor for a reason?? Decaf, regular, how about extra salty?:)

Crickr
12-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Looks like the Britts are going to pay us back for the tea party by bring the Pats over there

nygiants242
12-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Brady should be back so

The Intimidator
12-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Brady should be back so

Care to complete your thought? :D

TheIntimidator3
12-03-2008, 02:35 AM
intimidator stop bullying people

kazzy4080
12-03-2008, 11:31 PM
intimidator stop bullying people

i cant wait for TheIntimidator2 to come in here and tell u to stop telling intimidator what to do.

Anyway, im just happy the bucs will be the "home" team and not the pats

kazzy4080
12-03-2008, 11:31 PM
oh and im sure the britts are gonna love a team named "the patriots" a reference to the american revolution

kazzy4080
12-03-2008, 11:32 PM
and also a team named the bucs a reference to pirates who raided tons of british ships.

sorry for posting 3 times in a row

TheKid
12-04-2008, 09:30 AM
This should be... umm interesting.... i'm hoping that we have a bye either right before or right after this tho, same with the bucs, cuz that's a looong flight.

lol @ kazz, you could have just edited your first post :P

Patsfan56
12-05-2008, 09:54 AM
i cant wait for TheIntimidator2 to come in here and tell u to stop telling intimidator what to do.

Anyway, im just happy the bucs will be the "home" team and not the pats

What the hell is going on with the intimidator multiplicity??? Which one is "developmentally challenged"?