PDA

View Full Version : Is the New Jersey Nets backcourt of Vince Carter and Devin Harris the best in the NBA

JordansBulls
12-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Is the Nets backcourt the best in the league?

Devin Harris
25.3 ppg / 6.4 apg / 3.7 rpg / 1.3 spg / 49% FG / 28.3 PER

Vince Carter
23.8 ppg / 4.9 apg / 4.3 rpg / 1.1 spg / 48% FG / 23.9 PER

If they aren't who is better and don't be bias.

superkegger
12-01-2008, 11:41 AM
It's good, and Devin Harris is making the Mavs look like fools. But the best, I don't know. I voted no, simply because while they're playing great, its only a month in...

BIGLOUSTUD
12-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Are you joking? There numbers are solid but like he said its only a monet and your playing in a weak diions in the weak east. Ill give props to devie but its only a matter of time before vince carter gets hurt or wines or starts with his b.s. Hes a drama queen and with all that talent he has no one ever puts him in the top 5 convo because of who he is.

still1ballin
12-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Mark Cuban:pity:

Wilson
12-01-2008, 12:00 PM
You can say that it's the back court with the most individual talent in it. I've not watched the Nets play this year, but it would appear, from those stats, that both players each take turns being the focal point on offense. They're both guys that like to get into the lane.

I always prefer to have one guy who takes care of the ball handling, and one guy who can stretch the defense. I really loved how well Billups and Rip Hamilton worked together in Detroit, and how the Spurs have Parker control the ball and Finley stretch the D, how the Lakers have Kobe control the ball and Fisher stretch the D, etc.

So yeah, you can say that the Nets have an extremely talented back court, but I don't think it quite fits into a championship team. I've never been a fan of having two ball handlers starting in the back court.

theuuord
12-01-2008, 12:01 PM
I think there is an argument to be made, but there are certainly other combinations that could be argued.

I think before you automatically dismiss them (as most teams do), it would be a good idea to name other teams that have that much quality at both guard positions, and remember that the Nets are 8-6 with a very young (but deep) bench with two injuries to rotation players (Najera, CDR), a rookie center, a developing power forward, and an absolute no-name at small forward... meaning basically the backcourt is the reason they have won most of their games in the first place.

The knee-jerk reaction is "no," but the way Carter and especially Harris have been playing it is definitely possible...

theuuord
12-01-2008, 12:02 PM
So yeah, you can say that the Nets have an extremely talented back court, but I don't think it quite fits into a championship team. I've never been a fan of having two ball handlers starting in the back court.

Well, you need a dominant big man presence to win a championship unless you've got Michael Jordan, and the Nets are working on getting that as we speak. So the Nets aren't getting any rings for at least a couple years, but to have a backcourt already set is a nice feeling.

codes238
12-01-2008, 12:03 PM
theybe been playing really good no doubt about it, but i still take san antonio's parker/ginobli at this point...

theuuord
12-01-2008, 12:05 PM
theybe been playing really good no doubt about it, but i still take san antonio's parker/ginobli at this point...

That was the first one that came to my mind, but honestly I'd take Harris over Parker at this stage in their careers, and Carter over Ginobili too.

superkegger
12-01-2008, 12:10 PM
That was the first one that came to my mind, but honestly I'd take Harris over Parker at this stage in their careers, and Carter over Ginobili too.

at this stage in their careers I'll take the Finals MVP and complete stud Tony Parker over Devin Harris. Don't get me wrong, I love Devin Harris, gotta have love for a Badger. But Devin's had a great month...Parker's done it on the biggest stage in basketball, I'll take him over pretty much anyone but Paul or Deron right now.

codes238
12-01-2008, 12:15 PM
at this stage in their careers I'll take the Finals MVP and complete stud Tony Parker over Devin Harris. Don't get me wrong, I love Devin Harris, gotta have love for a Badger. But Devin's had a great month...Parker's done it on the biggest stage in basketball, I'll take him over pretty much anyone but Paul or Deron right now.

agreed, plus people forget how young parker still is, he hasnt even entered his prime yet in my opinion... by the way if im trying to win i take manu over vince any day!

theuuord
12-01-2008, 12:17 PM

Well yeah, he's "done" it, but so has Shaq... doesn't mean I'm taking Shaq over Devin Harris.

Parker has been an ultimately consistent player since he got into the league, which is nice, but he's made little growth - he's basically played at the same level since he was 22. He got a Finals MVP in there which was nice, but outside of that he's been about the same...
Harris on the other hand has been getting steadily better every year and is exploding this year.

theuuord
12-01-2008, 12:18 PM
agreed, plus people forget how young parker still is, he hasnt even entered his prime yet in my opinion... by the way if im trying to win i take manu over vince any day!

Manu and Vince is a tossup, but I'd personally take Vince. Either side could be argued though, so that's understandable... I mean obviously this year it's no contest, since Manu's only played in 4 games, but for the rest of the season we'll have to see how he plays.

Wilson
12-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Well, you need a dominant big man presence to win a championship unless you've got Michael Jordan, and the Nets are working on getting that as we speak. So the Nets aren't getting any rings for at least a couple years, but to have a backcourt already set is a nice feeling.

But when a dominant player emerges for them, then the lane could start to become crowded, since Harris and Carter both like to get into the lane. I just think that if you replace half the backcourt with someone who is just a sharp shooter, it sets you up better for the future. The spectacular stats would decrease, but the Ws would increase, IMO.

theuuord
12-01-2008, 12:22 PM
But when a dominant player emerges for them, then the lane could start to become crowded, since Harris and Carter both like to get into the lane. I just think that if you replace half the backcourt with someone who is just a sharp shooter, it sets you up better for the future. The spectacular stats would decrease, but the Ws would increase, IMO.

I mean, Kobe loved to get into the lane, and Shaq was always there. It seemed to work out for them a few times. Same with Duncan and Parker/Ginobili... Drexler and Olajuwon if you want to go back a little bit...

Wilson
12-01-2008, 12:26 PM
I mean, Kobe loved to get into the lane, and Shaq was always there. It seemed to work out for them a few times. Same with Duncan and Parker/Ginobili... Drexler and Olajuwon if you want to go back a little bit...

There was always someone to kick it out to though. If all your guys are in the paint, then the defense can just collapse into the paint and force turnovers, since there will be no room to operate...

superkegger
12-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Well yeah, he's "done" it, but so has Shaq... doesn't mean I'm taking Shaq over Devin Harris.

Parker has been an ultimately consistent player since he got into the league, which is nice, but he's made little growth - he's basically played at the same level since he was 22. He got a Finals MVP in there which was nice, but outside of that he's been about the same...
Harris on the other hand has been getting steadily better every year and is exploding this year.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Tony Parker has been playing incredible basketball for the past 4 or 5 years. He's been playing on a very high level. And don't kid yourself, he's only gotten better over that period of time. He's been on a level Harris only one day hopes to. Like I said, Devin had a great month, but until he sustains this play for an entire year, he's not in Parker's leage. Sustained greatness is what parker has done, Devin had a great month.

theuuord
12-01-2008, 12:41 PM
I don't understand what you're trying to say. Tony Parker has been playing incredible basketball for the past 4 or 5 years. He's been playing on a very high level. And don't kid yourself, he's only gotten better over that period of time. He's been on a level Harris only one day hopes to. Like I said, Devin had a great month, but until he sustains this play for an entire year, he's not in Parker's leage. Sustained greatness is what parker has done, Devin had a great month.

Actually last year was the worst of Parker's career if you discount his rookie season.
If you really think that Devin has only been talked about because he's had a great month, and not because he's been successful and getting steadily better over the last four years, then forgive me for not understanding you.

Parker has done very well in his career (and had a great start to this season as well before his injury), and if last year proves to be a blip on his radar, and Devin basically hits a wall three months into the season and becomes Jason Kapono, this argument will take a different turn. But as of now...

theuuord
12-01-2008, 12:41 PM
There was always someone to kick it out to though. If all your guys are in the paint, then the defense can just collapse into the paint and force turnovers, since there will be no room to operate...

The Nets have one of the best three point shooting teams in the league, so I'm not sure where the problem is there.

Wilson
12-01-2008, 12:48 PM
The Nets have one of the best three point shooting teams in the league, so I'm not sure where the problem is there.

Simmons, Yi and Carter actually are shooting a high percentage from 3 this year.

superkegger
12-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Actually last year was the worst of Parker's career if you discount his rookie season.
If you really think that Devin has only been talked about because he's had a great month, and not because he's been successful and getting steadily better over the last four years, then forgive me for not understanding you.

Parker has done very well in his career (and had a great start to this season as well before his injury), and if last year proves to be a blip on his radar, and Devin basically hits a wall three months into the season and becomes Jason Kapono, this argument will take a different turn. But as of now...

I understand Devin has been steadily getting better, but the reason this comes up now is because of the start to this season. He's been phenomenal this year. He's been getting better yes, and this past month has been a culmination of his progression. But here's what I'm saying, Devin Harris is a great talent and he's showing he can be one of the best PG's in the NBA. But, steady progress over 4 years and a great start this year doesn't cement his place as an elite pg. It takes sustained greatness, like Tony Parker has had, to cement your place as an elite PG. I'm not saying he (harris) can't or won't, I'm just saying let's not get over zealous here.

(as far as paker goes, last year was not his worst year, it was his 2nd highest scoring, 2nd highest apg, 3rd highest fg%, and tied for his lowest topg.)

theuuord
12-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Simmons, Yi and Carter actually are shooting a high percentage from 3 this year.

Yeah. So is Ryan Anderson. And Harris for what it's worth. I think the Nets have five guys shooting over 40% from beyond that qualify, I can't remember for sure though.

JordansBulls
12-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Are you joking? There numbers are solid but like he said its only a monet and your playing in a weak diions in the weak east. Ill give props to devie but its only a matter of time before vince carter gets hurt or wines or starts with his b.s. Hes a drama queen and with all that talent he has no one ever puts him in the top 5 convo because of who he is.

You need to get out of the past. The East isn't weak. A conference that is weak shouldn't produce a champion.

theuuord
12-01-2008, 12:56 PM
We're clearly not going to come to a consensus on Parker-Harris so I'll vote to agree to disagree here. We'll find out by the end of the year - and then the next five. Either way should be fun to watch.

(as far as paker goes, last year was not his worst year, it was his 2nd highest scoring, 2nd highest apg, 3rd highest fg%, and tied for his lowest topg.)

Worst year of his career might have been a stretch, I should have rephrased. Compared to where his career trajectory should have gone, this was his biggest "off year," especially for someone who is supposed to be the model of consistency. He did score more, but he did it at a much less efficient rate - basically all of his shooting percentages fell from the previous two great years. He thought he could shoot threes again - shooting almost as many as the last two seasons combined - and shot a paltry 26%. That combined with his lower shooting percentage from 2 - after two years over 50% he fell back under - and being unable to sustain his increased free throw ability made for a bad shooting year.

If the Spurs could cut down how many shots he has to take he could be an extremely efficient player. Now that Ginobili is back he might be able to go down a bit, but only time will tell.

SeoulBeatz
12-01-2008, 01:06 PM
its almost a tie between the nets and spurs

but the way carter and harris have been playing i gotta give the nod to the nets

superkegger
12-01-2008, 01:06 PM
We're clearly not going to come to a consensus on Parker-Harris so I'll vote to agree to disagree here. We'll find out by the end of the year - and then the next five. Either way should be fun to watch.

Worst year of his career might have been a stretch, I should have rephrased. Compared to where his career trajectory should have gone, this was his biggest "off year," especially for someone who is supposed to be the model of consistency. He did score more, but he did it at a much less efficient rate - basically all of his shooting percentages fell from the previous two great years. He thought he could shoot threes again - shooting almost as many as the last two seasons combined - and shot a paltry 26%. That combined with his lower shooting percentage from 2 - after two years over 50% he fell back under - and being unable to sustain his increased free throw ability made for a bad shooting year.

If the Spurs could cut down how many shots he has to take he could be an extremely efficient player. Now that Ginobili is back he might be able to go down a bit, but only time will tell.

Yeah, it was a bit off. And the three point shots was the main reason. Why he shot as many as he did (though still less than one a game I think) is beyond me. Had he not taken as many his fg% probably would have been higher, but even so, at 49% for a guard, that's very good. But I see what you're saying, and his fg%'s did dip, but that sometimes happens.

As far as Parker and Harris go, I'm not saying Harris isn't better, what I'm saying is I'm not going to make a judgement yet. He's phenomenal, and I love his game. He's showing what he can do when he's given the chance to operate with the ball more, which he didn't get to do enough in Dallas for various reasons. And he's had a coming out party this year, and he's showing he can be on that elite level. and i don't doubt his ability to stay at that level.

JayW_1023
12-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Harris has been impressive but it takes more than a few games to make him better than Tony Parker. Harris is the talk of the town now...but don't forget Tony exploded for 55 before he got injured. We're talking about a finals MVP here.

Manu and Parker are rusty now...but their best is still better than Carter and Harris as a tandem.

CELTICS4LYFE
12-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Rondo n allen!!!! Duh!!! Lol :D

Hellcrooner
12-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Numbers mean jack, specially since they have to do that kind of numbers because the rest of the team sucks!!!

better backcourts talent wise.

Rondo,Allen.

Miller, Igoudala.

Bibby,Johnson.

Iverson,Rip.

Fisher,Kobe.

Parker,Manu.

theuuord
12-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Numbers mean jack, specially since they have to do that kind of numbers because the rest of the team sucks!!!

Rondo,Allen.

Miller, Igoudala.

Bibby,Johnson.

Iverson,Rip.

Fisher,Kobe.

Parker,Manu.

what do you think statistics are representative of? They're not just made out of thin air.

carter15
12-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Harris has been impressive but it takes more than a few games to make him better than Tony Parker. Harris is the talk of the town now...but don't forget Tony exploded for 55 before he got injured. We're talking about a finals MVP here.

Manu and Parker are rusty now...but their best is still better than Carter and Harris as a tandem.
actually carter and harris right now are better then ginobli and parkers best...i dont believe, not 100%sure tho, that they've ever had numbers this good...there a great tandem...but harris and carter right now are playing better then they can.

Rondo,Allen.

Miller, Igoudala.

Bibby,Johnson.

Iverson,Rip.

Fisher,Kobe.

Parker,Manu.
are those 2 jokes?..the others are debatable...but rondo is worse then harris and allen is worse then carter...thats not even close
and harris owns miller..not even debatable...iguodala and vc are close..but iguodala is not playing very well right now and has never done better then what vince is doing this year
wut are u:smoking:

jimbobjarree
12-01-2008, 03:19 PM
not the best I'm sure, but its pretty sexilicious

Second City
12-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Harris will eventually cool down...

JayW_1023
12-01-2008, 03:42 PM
actually carter and harris right now are better then ginobli and parkers best...i dont believe, not 100%sure tho, that they've ever had numbers this good...there a great tandem...but harris and carter right now are playing better then they can.

Harris and Carter don't have to share the ball with a guy of Tim Duncans caliber...so they get more shots to pimp up their averages.

xxepo
12-01-2008, 03:49 PM
mark kuban made the trade based on nba2k

Lakers4ItAll
12-01-2008, 03:58 PM
No.

carter15
12-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Harris and Carter don't have to share the ball with a guy of Tim Duncans caliber...so they get more shots to pimp up their averages.

for manus case yes, parkers no..tony parker this year has taken 17.1 shots per gm and just under 6 ft's...thats almost identical to vince carter who takes 17.6 shots per game and 6.4 free throws
devin harris on the other hand takes only 15.3 shots per game and 12 free throws...so parkers shots per game are up there with vince's and harris's
ginoblis shots per game tho are about 4 less per game..so ill give u that...
and just so u no last year parker was at 15.1 shots per game :p

theuuord
12-01-2008, 04:51 PM

Carter and Harris use roughly 56% of the Nets offensive possessions. Manu and Parker use roughly 59%.

Chronz
12-01-2008, 04:51 PM

Theyre doing it this year man, its just been awhile since youve heard from TP but he was on fire before he went down. And Manu has had several seasons greater than Vince's people just dont want to believe it because Manu never plays more than 30MPG.

But if your talking about FULL seasons then this is how what Vince and Devin are doing now stacks up against Manu and TP's best, just know that you shouldnt look at raw stats, rebounds per game, ppg, etc. As they are, stats can be skewed in any favor so you when using them atleast make sure you have the most accurate information available to you;

Usg% (This accounts for the difference in minutes and pace to give an incredibly accurate measure of how many possessions that player accounts for personally while hes on the court.)

Offensive Rating: (Essentially this combines all offensive stats and shows the total PTS a player scores per 100 possessions, these 2 stats strongly correlate with the influence a player has on his teams offensive rating)

OFFENSIVE COMPARISON
------- USG%(OFF.RTG)
Devin -- 28.4 (129)
Vince -- 27.5 (120)
-------- 2007 Championship Season
Tony P- 27.4 (112)
Emanuel 27.1 (117)

Few problems to acknowledge here, Vince is playing at a level he hasnt EVER in terms of efficiency that is almost certain to fall, atleast somewhat considering players like Vince rarely play their best ball after entering their 30's. Im not saying its impossible but rarely do players that take it to the rim less, and shoot more jumpers get more accurate with their possessions. Right now this is nothing more than an impressive start more than it being a true descriptor of how good these 2 are.

Devin is entering his prime but this is so far beyond busting out that you should expect a dip as well though not very severe. Thats why I wouldnt be expecting too much out of the Nets this year unless their defense improves drastically, theyre a .500 team but thats been with career efforts from Vince and Devin, as they come down to earth your going to need someone else to pick up the slack.

To give you an idea of how limited a small sample size is, look at TP's and Manu start this year:

TP 36.9% (117)
Manu 31.5% (117)

I highly doubt TP keeps this up and I think Manu can improve but that will be offset with the increase in minutes and decrease in touches.

All that said, yes they are definitely up there if they keep this up, especially when you consider that its their offense thats elite and its because of these 2 but typically people want to see playoff dominance, so they have to replicate these performances in the playoffs to really make a name for themselves, sadly I doubt the Nets have enough defenders to take them that far.

Such is the problem with trying to prove a players worth with raw per game averages. They really arent hogging the ball all that much and offensively the Nets are elite so any credit gos to those responsible and these 2 are pretty much it. (Small shoutout to Ryan Anderson)

MiamiHeat
12-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Wade and Chalmers

they'll steal the ball from you
score on you
blow up on you

:D

Chronz
12-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Carter and Harris use roughly 56% of the Nets offensive possessions. Manu and Parker use roughly 59%.

Bowen and Oberto NEVER look to score on their own

theuuord
12-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Bowen and Oberto NEVER look to score on their own

....That's nice?

hyphy king 88
12-01-2008, 05:13 PM
I think they are 2nd behind healthy Parker and Ginobli.

AFlagRules
12-01-2008, 05:49 PM
No, but they might be.

stevefrancis
12-01-2008, 07:02 PM
devin harris is ballin. its probably because that white boy crossed him you all seen that youtube video. what's gonna slow him down if there aren't any other good players on his team other than vc. all the good pgs are in the west anyways. all i got to say is this. the best player in nba history drafted the worse player in nba history. guess who.

McPeak92
12-01-2008, 07:25 PM
Kobe+anyone is best

Mile High Champ
12-01-2008, 07:27 PM
wow another thread about devin harris. When will the madness end already!!!:mad: There are more players out there than just Devin Harris.

About the topic in question. I still take Parker and Manu. They have won the titles, been to the big games and always give it their best every night. Carter is a liability on defense, he quits in games when his team is behind. Manu does the complete opposite of both those things. Also Parker is a much better player than Harris. Until Harris wins a finals MVP, we can start talking again.

ADZ124
12-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Devin Harris is overrrrrrated i mean he is puting up points but its on a bad team... and he has only one other scoring option ... i have to say kobe and.... is the best

SportsFan9
12-01-2008, 08:00 PM
They are good, but not the best. I think they have to play well for numerous seasons to be called the best backcourt in the NBA. Like I mentioned in a differen't thread, who knows if Harris will keep up this great play for the whole season. Parker and Manu have proven to be an amazing backcourt by winning nba titles and more.

SportsFan9
12-01-2008, 08:04 PM

Just curious, but where did you get these percentages from?

Hawkeye15
12-01-2008, 09:25 PM
wow another thread about devin harris. When will the madness end already!!!:mad: There are more players out there than just Devin Harris.

About the topic in question. I still take Parker and Manu. They have won the titles, been to the big games and always give it their best every night. Carter is a liability on defense, he quits in games when his team is behind. Manu does the complete opposite of both those things. Also Parker is a much better player than Harris. Until Harris wins a finals MVP, we can start talking again.

:clap:

innovator
12-01-2008, 09:34 PM
chris paul with ANYONE is the best backcourt or kobe with ANYONE

MagicBucsSox
12-01-2008, 09:42 PM
this is a joke new jersey fans are so happy this guy score 47 points, best tandem is kobe and whoever is at point

agnine
12-02-2008, 04:53 PM
As they are playing right now, they are the best backcourt in the NBA. Splitting them up to get a sharpshooter, makes no sense. Getting into the lane and creating havok with the D is what you want, and if you have 2 players that can do that, you're in good shape. Plus , Carter has been an assassin from beyond the arc for years, he is a sharpshooter.

Nets fan 93
12-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Yes. They are the best scoring Duo... they get team mates involved and both carry the load. we are over .500...

NYMetros
12-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Rip Hamilton and Allen Iverson are in consideration too.

madiaz3
12-02-2008, 10:12 PM
You need to get out of the past. The East isn't weak. A conference that is weak shouldn't produce a champion.

I don't think people would argue that the East was stronger a few years back up until a year before the Celtics because the Pistons won.

fairandbalanced
12-02-2008, 10:28 PM
How can they be the best back court? most selfish back court, yes......but not best.

Nets fan 93
12-02-2008, 10:38 PM
How can they be the best back court? most selfish back court, yes......but not best.
LOL selfish? what are they supposed to do? pass it to people that can't score?
I'm not sure if you get this but we cant win w/o Harris or Carter

PhxOakFan3220
12-02-2008, 10:52 PM
nash and bell/barbosa

njnets
12-02-2008, 10:55 PM

lol you HATE these types of threads with a passion. don't worry man it will cool off.

i want to say yes. gionobli and parker have been injured this year, idk how you say they are better. past years, yes of course. but gionobli comes off the BENCH and plays against second squad players. while he is on the court at the end of the game, he is playing against backups. AI and rip have not been together long enough and to be honest i have not been following their stats. all i know is that the nets beat the pistons :D. im biased, going with the nets backcourt, but pistons and spurs right behind it.

Ph1lly Diehard
12-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Man, Devin Harris is making This Guy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysv3v7uXblw) look better and better

JOSETHEALLSTAR
12-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Devin Harris is beasting

Mr.Grizzly
12-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Hell No!

Cano24
12-03-2008, 02:06 AM

I think someone is mad because he is a Knicks fan...**** OFF Carter has done nothing but produce his entire NBA Career so quit saying he is going to start whinning or quit he has missed like 17 games in his almost 5 year nets career...and learn how to spell a little bit man

Ansy
12-03-2008, 02:11 AM
So far it has been.

I keep waiting for Harris to come back down to earth but he hasn't. If he's this good all season then the future in Jersey is bright.