PDA

View Full Version : The P Word

KingJamsI
12-01-2008, 12:10 AM
Although the Jets lost, this team seems to have a very narrow road to the playoffs. Winning the division would require the pats to win out, and the jets to drop 2 with Miami Buffalo Seattle and San Fran to go- seems fairly unlikely. In the wild card fight the Pats would need Indy to drop 2/4 while they won out. They last spot is likely to go to the loser of the battle for the AFC North, with Pitt now holding a head to head advantage, and Baltimore holding the conference tie-breaker (if they have the same record.)

SO to wrap that up, the Patriots can only make the playoffs if they win out, AND either the Jets, Colts, or Ravens drop 2/4 or the Steelers drop 3/4.

Personally I see the pats losing one more, either a fluke from the west coast roadtrip, or to the high powered Zona offense. I think the pats are a 10-6 team at the end of the season who miss the wildcard as the 7th or eight team. I'm not trying to be negative or trying to hate, just being realistic. What does every1 think?

BTownTeamsRKing
12-01-2008, 12:19 AM
i agree completely. this was the playoffs and we lost.

Mass Murderer
12-01-2008, 01:42 AM
That's exactly what I tried telling TheShowzOver while he was saying the Jets suck and we're going to win the division. He don't realize that we lose the tiebreakers with every team because all 5 of our losses are conference losses. The Dolphins, and Colts both have easier remaining schedules than us. The Ravens have a pretty tough schedule but, they're a good team. They could beat the Redskins, Steelers, and Cowboys. Are only shot is to probably win all 4 remaining games and, pray the Jets lose 2 of their remaining 4.

Crickr
12-01-2008, 11:00 AM
I agree that it is going to be next to impossible to win the devision let alone a wildcard spot without a lot of good things happening to the Pats........

NCBoSoxfan21
12-01-2008, 11:16 AM
It's happened before, look at what the Giants did last year.

The Intimidator
12-01-2008, 11:22 AM
I think that the Pats CAN win out, but I don't think that they WILL win out. We'll go 10-6, and even though that's an admirable effort, we may very well fall short of the playoffs. IMO Bill Belichick deserves consideration for coach of the year for getting this team into the playoff race amidst all these injuries. Hey, if we make the playoffs, that's great. But if we don't, we move on to the offseason and the draft, where we will undoubtedly look to improve our defense. We absolutely need to find depth in the secondary, and it won't hurt to upgrade the offensive line either. But hey, I'm still holding out hope that we can pull off the miracle and get back to the playoffs.

uvill203
12-01-2008, 11:50 AM
The Pats playoff chances are slim....but if the Jets lose to Buffalo or Miami while we win out....we will own the tie-breaker over them. (We split during the year, our division record would be the same). The next tie-breaker after that goes to common games and we beat Denver and Oakland (assuming) while they lost. Therefore, we would take the tie-breaker for the division.
This is also assuming Miami loses 1 more game as well....

Red_Sox_89
12-01-2008, 03:59 PM
:(

BTownTeamsRKing
12-01-2008, 04:33 PM
ive sold my stock in this year going anywhere. im just looken to the draft and next year where the Legend returns and our defense gets healthy and gets some CBs.

the positives of this year:

Welker is getting even better
Moss is still amazing
Cassel did well and BB proved us all wrong mostly, but we will lose him soon.
Mayo is a superstar in the making
the D-line is solid
Adalius looked much better this year until he got hurt
Guyton is a big surprise
BB proved he can win no matter how bad the injuries and situation
Meriweather is progressing and Hobbs too.
the Rushing game held its own despite being hurt.
Last: o'neal wont be here.

really im just looken toward our return to domination next year and anyone who thinks Brady is going to be bad now bc of the injury obviously has learned nothing about the guy.

Red_Sox_89
12-01-2008, 04:50 PM
It's all right. With all the injuries we have endured this season, I'm happy with where we are and what we've done. Can't wait to get Brady back!

griff141
12-01-2008, 05:03 PM
If somebody told me in August that Tom Brady was not going to play the season and Cassel would be leading the offense and we were going to suffer many major injuries and we would still be in the playoff hunt, I would have told them they were crazy! Great job by our boys! I'm so proud to be a Pats fan after this season because it shows how much fight we have!

Wake's Fastball
12-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Curious as to what the tiebreaker would be if we won out, and the Jets lost to Buffalo or Miami. Would leave us both with the same divisional, home/away, conference and head-to-head record.

I'm That Dude
12-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Curious as to what the tiebreaker would be if we won out, and the Jets lost to Buffalo or Miami. Would leave us both with the same divisional, home/away, conference and head-to-head record.

Don't do it man. Don't put yourself through it. There's to many ifs in that sentence.

KingJamsI
12-01-2008, 10:17 PM
if we won out our head 2 head would be better.

torrance
12-02-2008, 12:39 AM
I think it's more likely the Ravens lose 2 than the Jets. Baltimore plays Washington, Pittsburgh, Dallas and Jacksonville, while the Jets play the 49'ers, Buffalo, Seattle and Miami.

Even so, as much of a Patriot fan that I am (as is everyone here), I'm trying to be realistic and not allow myself to get too hyped if we make the playoffs. At least, that's what my emotional-therapist suggests.

If we do get eliminated, there's not much to cheer for...except season ending injuries to Favre, Eli Manning, Romo, Terrell Owens, and Plaxico Burress. Whoops, the dark side came through there.

BTownTeamsRKing
12-02-2008, 01:52 AM
see everyone calls us spoiled for "demanding" constant winning. we have been very blessed to have many highly competitive teams, but this proves we dont need a title every year to be happy. Im also proud of my Patriots team and it isnt over just yet. u never know in this game.

besides, we still got the Defending Champion Celtics, the Rejuvenated Bruins, A gutsy BC Eagles football team going to the ACC title game! the Red Sox went to game 7 of the ALCS despite many issues. and yes the Patriots will bounce back next year. the run isnt over by any stretch.

so all i can say is Go Boston/New England!!!! Im a biased Bos/NE fan and proud of it ha

Patsfan56
12-02-2008, 09:42 AM
If somebody told me in August that Tom Brady was not going to play the season and Cassel would be leading the offense and we were going to suffer many major injuries and we would still be in the playoff hunt, I would have told them they were crazy! Great job by our boys! I'm so proud to be a Pats fan after this season because it shows how much fight we have!

:clap:

well said

The Intimidator
12-02-2008, 11:22 AM
This season does put things in perspective. I mean, there are some teams that would KILL to be 7-5 right now, and to us it isn't good enough. That says a lot about how spoiled we have been the past 8 seasons under Kraft Family/Belichick/Pioli.

Patsfan56
12-02-2008, 02:18 PM
For me it goes a little deeper than just the playoff picture. I loathe the Jets almost as much as I love the Pats, so I also layer in how the Pats are doing compatred to the Jets. If the Pats don't win the division, at least let it be the Bills, or even the Dolphins. Anybody but the Jets.

Ahh the dark underbelly of rivalries. Just like Red Sox Yankees. I can't help but love my team, and despise the other.

I will say though this season Jets fans have been on the whole making great posts and have kept the discussions respectful, which has been much appreciated. So this is NOT a mark against them, for the record.

KingJamsI
12-14-2008, 05:30 PM
After today's early games the path to a division crown is extremely clear, and unlikely. Tiebreakers would go to both the Jets and Phins--- The pats must win remaining 3 games, while either (or both) NYJ or MIA falls to their week 16 opponent which are Seattle and KC respectively, very unlikely. If one of the teams were to loose, but not the other, than the winning team would then have to beat the team that lost in 16, in their week 17 showdown.

Sportfan
12-14-2008, 06:34 PM
can someone tell me why the jets and fins have tiebreakers over the pats? They split in the head to head.

The Intimidator
12-14-2008, 07:14 PM
can someone tell me why the jets and fins have tiebreakers over the pats? They split in the head to head.

Division record and conference record.