PDA

View Full Version : David Lee's alley-oop to himself

MoBASS
11-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Yeah it was fun to watch and all but was that legal?

Who else tried that back in the day?

G-Funk
11-30-2008, 06:47 PM
T-mac and Vince

G-Funk
11-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Kobe did too but didnt dunk it he only split the Jazz defense.

G-Funk
11-30-2008, 06:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZmc1uocKC0

actually he did dunk....

DerekRE_3
11-30-2008, 06:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZmc1uocKC0

actually he did dunk....

That's sick but was it legal? I thought you couldn't rebound your own airball. Pretty sure the backboard doesn't count as hitting rim.

YOURPAPI420
11-30-2008, 07:03 PM
That's sick but was it legal? I thought you couldn't rebound your own airball. Pretty sure the backboard doesn't count as hitting rim.

woooooooooooooooow do u play basketball?????????

the backboard counts as a shot just doesnt reset the shotclock... u can rebound ur shot as long is it touches something (player, backboard, rim) cmon man any player/ fan should know this snatch

acohn1230
11-30-2008, 07:05 PM

true, but hitting air means hitting nothing...he still hit the backboard

jimbobjarree
11-30-2008, 07:07 PM
I remember the Kobe one...how that series ended was sickening.

ohhhh welll

COLH
11-30-2008, 07:32 PM
David Lee's alleyoop to himself is different to VC Tmac or Kobe's (and Jamal Crawford did aswell) because these guys made it hit the board while David Lee didnt. It looks dodgy but apparently its legal.

NBA players did what David Lee's done before:

AI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37qYv-DdYoo
again AI (check it at 1:05)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r_Ig9_jLm8
and also I think Scottie Pippen but I cant find it

jimbobjarree
11-30-2008, 07:36 PM
watching that its a shame Kobe and Garnett have never played together

NYKnickFanatic
11-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Yes, it was illegal.
I was shocked when they didnt call it.

And Allen Iverson once did it.
But it was just a layup.
If I find the clip Ill post it.

stevefrancis
11-30-2008, 08:32 PM
its legal as long as he caught the ball in the air after he threw it up. if he just threw it up caught it on the ground and then went up thats a violation. steve francis bounced the ball on the floor and dunked it when he was good.

JJ81
11-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Kobe did too but didnt dunk it he only split the Jazz defense.

No, Kobe threw it off the backboard, so it counted as a shot and a rebound.

JJ81
11-30-2008, 09:37 PM

Of course it was legal, he didn't travel in between.

JJ81
11-30-2008, 09:37 PM
No, Kobe threw it off the backboard, so it counted as a shot and a rebound.

And he's done it twice (lay up first time, dunk second time).

Hellcrooner
11-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Bleh, it should be legal AS LONG as it is not some stupid cheat to try to make a TRIPLE DOUBLE or something? isnt it Ricky Davis???????? ;)

Nets fan 93
11-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Yes, it was illegal.
I was shocked when they didnt call it.

And Allen Iverson once did it.
But it was just a layup.
If I find the clip Ill post it.
I thought you couldnt pass it to yourself?

LakerzDQ
12-01-2008, 04:22 AM
it's legal.

it's illegal if David Lee threw it up in the air, took 3 steps, caught it and dunked, but he threw it up right before he jumped, so he didn't take any extra steps.

COLH
12-01-2008, 04:42 AM
hey guys I know this is completely off topic but for NBA 2k9 I cant get those after the quarter highlights? do I need to change something on the settings etc. (xbox 360)

pauljames
12-01-2008, 04:52 AM
it wasnt a travel because he caught the ball while he was elevated. If he caught it while he was on the ground, it would have been travel.

FlawlessKB24
12-01-2008, 04:53 AM
lol
David Lee freakin owns
he does have moves though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78J091slHmQ

COLH
12-01-2008, 04:57 AM
hey guys how do I post my own forum? pls help me out! Im a newbie...

cahawk
12-01-2008, 05:34 AM
Forget the rim/backboard discussion, how about watching the feet.
I have seen 'much more blatant examples' by kobe but this example gives you an idea.
kobe traveled, this has become a habit that the refs are not calling.

Going up and coming back down before passing or shooting, if a foot touches the floor it is traveling. When the ball is still in the players hands, that is traveling.
The NBA would have more credibility if it didn't allow it's stars to get away with stuff.
It makes the appearance of awesome hang time. Hang time is great, but not if the NBA is allowing the players to come back down. I have noticed this on many occasions
This was another example of kobe coming down before shooting or passing.
I remember the shot at the time and played in back in slow mo and he came down.

I don't care who the player is, we don't need this.
In future when you see a close play like this, rewind, slow mo &/or stop action and see for yourself if this is not happening. One time or close calls are not as important as whether the refs are looking the other way on this type of call.

I remember Shaq in his early years didn't do this but he would travel by taking an extra bunny hop and the refs just weren't calling it so it just started happening more.

FlawlessKB24
12-01-2008, 05:37 AM
hey guys how do I post my own forum? pls help me out! Im a newbie...

if you mean your own discussion page, then its called a thread
click "New Thread" and post away
dont spam though my friend.

NYKnickFanatic
12-01-2008, 10:04 AM
I thought you couldnt pass it to yourself?

You cant.
Thats why I said its illegal.

Aapox
12-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Luther Head did a self alley-oop off of the backboard in a high school level game from the 3 point line!

Wilson
12-01-2008, 03:52 PM
There was a guy (can't remember who), who threw it off the backboard to himself on a fast break, which gave him 10 boards for a triple double, but it got called back, it was called a travel.

Ballah0liC1
12-01-2008, 03:54 PM
tmacs done it like 5 times, twice in regular season gms
and steve francis throw off ground alley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJIoDdxByoY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CovXZ9mgq4Y

Ballah0liC1
12-01-2008, 03:55 PM
There was a guy (can't remember who), who threw it off the backboard to himself on a fast break, which gave him 10 boards for a triple double, but it got called back, it was called a travel.

ricky davis

Wilson
12-01-2008, 04:08 PM
ricky davis

Thanks.

I've just noticed that Hellcrooner beat me to that post too :o

chicagowhitesox
12-01-2008, 04:16 PM
i gotta try that in a game

carter15
12-01-2008, 04:17 PM
woooooooooooooooow do u play basketball?????????

the backboard counts as a shot just doesnt reset the shotclock... u can rebound ur shot as long is it touches something (player, backboard, rim) cmon man any player/ fan should know this snatch

true, but hitting air means hitting nothing...he still hit the backboard

u cannot rebound ur shot if it hits the backboard only UNLESS you catch it in the air...hence y tmac kobe and vince all did alleyoops (for style also.but if they didnt it wud be a self pass..and thats illegal)...im not sure about the ball hitting a player but i no that if it only hits backboard u cant rebound ur own shot on the ground ....:confused: now ive confused myself..can someone confirm if thats the rule?

yanks08
12-01-2008, 04:29 PM
u cannot rebound ur shot if it hits the backboard only UNLESS you catch it in the air...hence y tmac kobe and vince all did alleyoops (for style also.but if they didnt it wud be a self pass..and thats illegal)...im not sure about the ball hitting a player but i no that if it only hits backboard u cant rebound ur own shot on the ground ....:confused: now ive confused myself..can someone confirm if thats the rule?

you can rebound the ball if it hits the backboard. it does not matter if you on ground or not.

wHAT YOU CANT DO IS HAVE A SELF pass to yourself while on ground. You can self pass the ball on air, that wont be a illegal.

yanks08
12-01-2008, 04:38 PM

its not an air ball if it hits the backbored.
An air ball is the ball not touching anything!!!

Do any of you remember the player who shot at his own teams backbored so he can get the rebound so he can get the triple double?

yanks08
12-01-2008, 04:40 PM
its not an air ball if it hits the backbored.
An air ball is the ball not touching anything!!!

Do any of you remember the player who shot at his own teams backbored so he can get the rebound so he can get the triple double?

nOW I REMEMBER, IT WAS RICKY DAVIS WHO SHOT AT HIS BACKBORED TO GET THE FINAL REBOUND TO GIVE HIMSELF A TRIPLE DOUBLE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MezCclCSjNw

colinskik
12-01-2008, 05:19 PM
I love that Ricky Davis play. Gotta hand it to the guy for thinking outside the box and trying to get the trip dubs in any way possible. Too bad they took it away from him though. He's never going to get anywhere near a triple double at this stage in his career.

Wilson
12-01-2008, 05:32 PM
nOW I REMEMBER, IT WAS RICKY DAVIS WHO SHOT AT HIS BACKBORED TO GET THE FINAL REBOUND TO GIVE HIMSELF A TRIPLE DOUBLE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MezCclCSjNw

:laugh: Nice song on the vid...