PDA

View Full Version : Half of NBA GM's use NBA Live video game as scouting tool

JordansBulls
11-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Source: LATimes (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-media28-2008nov28,0,5602549.story)

Teams plug in to video game to evaluate talent in NBA

The EA Sports game is used by about half the franchises to check out what the competition is up to and plan accordingly.
Diane Pucin
November 28, 2008

Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey doesn't play video games for fun or fantasy.

Morey uses the EA Sports NBA game for professional reasons. He uses it to help evaluate talent. Morey says he is a statistical junky, an admirer of Oakland Athletics General Manager Billy Beane and a mathematical nerd. "I've always loved numbers," Morey said. "I don't play EA Sports as a game. I use it as a tool."

"Say if you're thinking about acquiring Ron Artest," Morey said from Hawaii, where he was evaluating talent in person at the Maui Classic college tournament.

"On the game, you can see how adding Artest can change the dynamic of your team. You can program it to run offensive sets with Artest and any combination of your players."

Morey said that even this early in the season, there are enough statistics available to evaluate rookies such as Minnesota's Kevin Love (from UCLA) and Memphis' O.J. Mayo (from USC)

"For example, you can tell how often, if Love throws an outlet pass, how often his team scores on the possession," Morey said. "You can tell how often Mayo goes right versus left, how effective the team is with Mayo pulling up and shooting versus when he pulls up and passes instead."

According to the NBA, about half the teams are using the video game as part of personnel evaluation. In the quiet of his office, Morey said he can see how often a player posts up and gets shots on cuts to the basket as well as about defensive and offensive tendencies.

:mad:

chaugh970
11-29-2008, 05:16 PM
You have to be kidding me? Live is not very realistic. And the player ratings can be pretty ridiculous.

DerekRE_3
11-29-2008, 05:16 PM
And the other half are using NBA 2K9?

And I'd be shocked if Geoff Petrie did this. Shocked.

Hellcrooner
11-29-2008, 05:20 PM
That can explain a LOT of gms crazy deeds.

See, nba live 09 , Haddadi was supposed by ea to be a 70 something and Marc Gasol a 60 something.......

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHHAHAHAHAHA

SensandRaps
11-29-2008, 05:21 PM
lmao this is f***in hilarious

torontosports10
11-29-2008, 05:26 PM
ahhh so this is why the clippers have sucked for so long...

Chronz
11-29-2008, 07:21 PM
You guys arent getting it, hes using the synergy option that is supposably available in Live, I dont know I havent played it yet but if you think hes looking up player ratings from a video game then just hang yourself already.

sacgiants1213
11-29-2008, 07:26 PM
that's really surprising. i wonder if this is also true with mlb gm's if they use 2k or the show as scouting tools.

NotVeryOriginal
11-29-2008, 07:40 PM
This means one thing and one thing only, 2k is outselling EA and their crappy games. So they pull some strings for free advertisements.

dre1990
11-29-2008, 07:41 PM
who cares if it workes

lakers4sho
11-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Holy crap, seriously?

I mean, when I play, Mike James always scores 100 on Superstar difficulty. Does that mean he's the greatest of all time??

_Sn1P3r_
11-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Lmao, wow. I'd love to know those teams.

NYMetros
11-29-2008, 08:18 PM
My guess is most of the bad teams use this method of scouting.

MGB
11-29-2008, 08:24 PM
Holy crap, seriously?

I mean, when I play, Mike James always scores 100 on Superstar difficulty. Does that mean he's the greatest of all time??

You know the answer to that. Of course MJ (Mike James) is the GOAT. In related news, Joey Graham is the most versitile player ever and Damon Jones is the greatest shooter ever.

jimbobjarree
11-29-2008, 09:12 PM
lol...idiots

Chronz
11-29-2008, 09:33 PM
Lmao, wow. I'd love to know those teams.

Toronto

jimbobjarree
11-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Toronto

hahaha...totally

Chronz
11-29-2008, 09:42 PM
hahaha...totally

Bet you the Jazz do too

oldenpolynice
11-29-2008, 09:44 PM
If Morey is so big on synergy, why did he think Artest and McGrady would play well together?

Players aren't machines. You can't track how well they're going to do by watching them in a video game. Human emotions get involved and guys don't pass to other guys because they aren't getting along in the locker room or whatever.

I'll bet if you punched "Kevin Martin, Mike Bibby and Ron Artest" into NBA Live, the result would be pretty good. But on the court together in '06 and '07 they were horrible. Personality disputes got in the way.

Chronz
11-29-2008, 09:49 PM
If Morey is so big on synergy, why did he think Artest and McGrady would play well together?
What are you talking about, Artest was braught in for a variety of reasons.

Players aren't machines. You can't track how well they're going to do by watching them in a video game. Human emotions get involved and guys don't pass to other guys because they aren't getting along in the locker room or whatever.

Tell that to Hubie Brown, hes been tracking these stats for 30 years now. I dont know why you think they are machines but players do have tendencies. Knowing what your opponent and teammates are good at is essential to knowing how to defend and play with them.

I'll bet if you punched "Kevin Martin, Mike Bibby and Ron Artest" into NBA Live, the result would be pretty good. But on the court together in '06 and '07 they were horrible. Personality disputes got in the way.

What do you mean punch in, what exactly do you think hes doing? Simming his Rockets in franchise mode? As for the Kings remark there were mixed results but they were basically what everyone shouldve expected.

PS I dont have NBA live can anyone inform me as to what hes talking about? The last time I used synergy was before their free trials ended.

greg_ory_2005
11-29-2008, 09:54 PM
:laugh2: at these GM's.

McPeak92
11-29-2008, 10:15 PM
i hope he gets execute of the year

JermanJaysFan
11-29-2008, 10:38 PM
You know the answer to that. Of course MJ (Mike James) is the GOAT. In related news, Joey Graham is the most versitile player ever and Damon Jones is the greatest shooter ever.

"I'll play the one if I have to, I'll play the five. It doesn't matter. I'm the most versatile player, I think, in the league."
- Joey Graham

kswissdaf
11-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Im sure they dont use it that much

lakers4sho
11-29-2008, 11:29 PM
Im sure they dont use it that much

Oh yes they did. And I think that one guy Chris Wallace used it as well right after he got it for Christmas last year. Perfect Christmas gift for him.

LeBrowns
11-29-2008, 11:32 PM
Live is not a good tool, especially since I disagree with a lot of ratings on that game. This is a game, not a realistic tool. Essentially, this guy is saying EA programmers can identify talents better than GMs.

Chronz
11-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Live is not a good tool, especially since I disagree with a lot of ratings on that game. This is a game, not a realistic tool. Essentially, this guy is saying EA programmers can identify talents better than GMs.

cmon man do you really think thats what theyre doing? What ratings are you talking about, if they arent possession counts then you have no idea what your talking about. And Morey is one of the best at finding talent late in the draft, hes been a great GM thus far.

chicagowhitesox
11-29-2008, 11:58 PM
roflol what a dumbass

Knowledge
11-30-2008, 12:01 AM
They can't be playing it, I think they are just using Ea's scouting data, which is done by a company separate of EA.

The brain behind the game is powered by Synergy Sports Technology , the premier analytics provider using NBA data for over 20 NBA teams, which evaluates Player DNA that breaks down how a player scores, Team DNA that rates how the players on the floor play as a unit and Tendencies that refer to the percentage a player drives left, right or shoots from each spot on the floor.

Garrick Barr, CEO & Founder, is a former member of the Phoenix Suns coaching staff. Mr. Barr has led the integration of sports and technology for the past 15 years.

Nils Lahr is one of the world's foremost new media authorities. Mr. Lahr helped develop the VXtreme streaming media solutions which was later purchased by Microsoft and became the founding technologies for Windows Media and MPEG4

You don't have to play the game to view the data, you can look at a player's real life tendencies such as:
How good they are in on direction vs the other
Their percentages of FGs made on spot up jumpshots
If they make good/any cuts to the basket
ect..

This strategy might sound dumb, but the scouting is so real its crazy. As i watch Sixers games I always try to look where our players like to shoot and the game id dead on. I noticed Elton brand loves to shoot his mid range jump shot on the left side of the court, whil eon the right side he barely makes them.

unwantedplayer
11-30-2008, 12:15 AM
Seriously, nice life.

Hellcrooner
11-30-2008, 12:24 AM
Look how good Ea is.

I just played a dinasty mode in live 08, and within three seasons my Starting line up was Hill, S Jackson, Kobe, Duncan,Oden.

Kicked out in first round :p

Knowledge
11-30-2008, 12:35 AM
Each player (and subsequently team) will have their own “DNA”. That is based on the following categories: isolation, pick and roll-ball handler, pick and roll -roll man, post up, spot up, off-ball screen, and cuts.

In addition to the “Hot Spots” that you can display while playing (this year being outlined sections instead of solid colored) will be tendency indicators. When pulled up you’ll see the ball handlers tendency from the spot on the floor they are in. The percentage they’ll drive right, drive left, or shoot

This is Paul Pierce and Ray Allens reports, though if you could actually see the game
Using players from the Boston Celtics as examples; Paul Pierce mostly runs the Pick & Roll with the ball, Spots Up, or runs Isolation plays. For someone like Ray Allen, he also likes to run Pick & Roll, Spots Up, but runs off a lot more screens so that he can catch and shoot compared to Paul Pierce who likes to run a little more isolation.

Also here is a vid that breaks down how pau Gasol was used in Memphis vs LA. ( at :50 for Pau)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD4QLajyLZU&feature=related

astrosmaniac
11-30-2008, 01:10 AM
Also here is a vid that breaks down how pau Gasol was used in Memphis vs LA. ( at :50 for Pau)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD4QLajyLZU&feature=related

thank you someone who understands what he is talking about. morey is one of the best GMs in the league, so he obviously knows what he is doing

superkegger
11-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Why not use all the tools at your disposal? They're not playing a dynasty mode with their team and thinking thats going to work. It's just one part of what they use to evaluate players and teams. They don't make moves based on NBA Live. It's just one more tool.

hugefan
11-30-2008, 06:30 PM
thats pretty funny..and cool..if it works

Frrrrank!!!
11-30-2008, 11:50 PM
so basicaly my little brother, from his bedroom, could do part of a gm's job...wow:rolleyes:

superkegger
12-01-2008, 11:38 AM
so basicaly my little brother, from his bedroom, could do part of a gm's job...wow:rolleyes:

Way to completely not understand.

Frrrrank!!!
12-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Way to completely not understand.

What is there to understand. NBA gm's are making real life decisions based on a game.

superkegger
12-01-2008, 11:56 AM
What is there to understand. NBA gm's are making real life decisions based on a game.

Thanks for making my point for me.

Frrrrank!!!
12-01-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks for making my point for me.

wow, gosh darn!!!...I can't believe I never saw it your way. Every post of yours just takes my breath away because it is so informitive. Thank you so much:rolleyes: