PDA

View Full Version : Why do star players leave teams via free agency when they are already on a contender?

JordansBulls
11-29-2008, 03:40 PM
Why do star players leave teams via free agency when they are already on a contender?

I can understand if that star player has already won a title, but if they haven't and they are on a contender in the league then why leave?

For instance, in the summer of 1997 Shaq left the Orlando Magic a team who had been to the finals and then ECF and had won 57 games and 60 games respectively to go to the Lakers. He hadn't won a title yet, so why would he leave?

The same issue could be facing Carlos Boozer this summer. Leaving the Utah Jazz a team that is well coached and has a solid PG and is a legit contender IMO wouldn't make much sense.

lakers4sho
11-29-2008, 03:43 PM
IDK, because they want to? :shrug:

There are several reason, one of which being money.

NYMetros
11-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Probably for money. It doesn't make sense though when a guy has a chance to win a ring and he throws it away for more money.

nygiants242
11-29-2008, 03:52 PM
$$$$$ Its all about the money haha.

JordansBulls dude you make a SHITLOAD of threads

pete_one
11-29-2008, 04:01 PM
because they cant support their families with the millions of dollars they're making already

_Sn1P3r_
11-29-2008, 04:02 PM
I don't know, maybe the cash. $$

SensandRaps
11-29-2008, 04:17 PM
$$$$$ Its all about the money haha.

JordansBulls dude you make a SHITLOAD of threads

someone needs to keep the nba section going and most of the credit goes to JordansBulls. Also atleast his threads make sense some of the ppl make stupid threads (its not u just saying)

ShaunRiching9
11-29-2008, 04:19 PM
more money, better chance of winning it, play close to their hometown idk ther is lots of reasons

Lizard King
11-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Issues with coaches/management.

jimbobjarree
11-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Boozer's move would be down to Salt Lake City. The guy doesnt even live there, he lives in Miami, and Utah is a small market team, and many players have rejected us in the past due to the city not being as flashy as others

It must be hard though if your family lives in another city the majority of the year

lakers4sho
11-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Boozer's move would be down to Salt Lake City. The guy doesnt even live there, he lives in Miami, and Utah is a small market team, and many players have rejected us in the past due to the city not being as flashy as others

It must be hard though if your family lives in another city the majority of the year

So is he really signing with another team after this season?

Markg
11-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Not so much about a city being "flashy" or not. Players want to play in bigger markets (ny la chi) because they have a better chance of being stars.
That is, they have a better chance of getting marketing deals, and making connections in a big market for when they retire.

What I don't understand is why a player like LeBron who comes into the nba as a guarranteed hof er doesn't demand to be picked by a different team in the draft.

It happens all the time in football (e manning, elway). The closest thing in NBA I remember like that is Yi and Yao wanting to play only a city with a high percentage of Asians.

Theanswer76
11-29-2008, 05:04 PM
My friend its called money.

JJ81
11-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Cash

blackjack_119
11-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Not so much about a city being "flashy" or not. Players want to play in bigger markets (ny la chi) because they have a better chance of being stars.
That is, they have a better chance of getting marketing deals, and making connections in a big market for when they retire.

What I don't understand is why a player like LeBron who comes into the nba as a guarranteed hof er doesn't demand to be picked by a different team in the draft.

It happens all the time in football (e manning, elway). The closest thing in NBA I remember like that is Yi and Yao wanting to play only a city with a high percentage of Asians.

And we all saw how well it worked for Yi... Milwaukee is the first city I think of when I think of cities with large asian populations. Players can't demand to go to a certain team because they don't have the power top negotiate their own contract.

Hellcrooner
11-29-2008, 05:31 PM
Tan tan tun tan tu tu tu tu tu tan tun tin tan tun tun tun ti ti ti it i ti ti ti ti ti

Moneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyy get baaaaaaack!!!!

pcone78
11-29-2008, 06:06 PM

I hate when players act like that. It is the worst, be happy your playing and go where you get drafted at. Demand??? Demand what? If I owned a team and someone demanded that I trade him, he would sit on my bench and go by the way side until he is good and ready to play. The commisioner should not allow players to come into the league and run the organization. I would have made T.O. shut his mouth by fining him everyday, and not comment on trade discussions. The Eagles should have refused to discuss anything about a trade or release.

Mallpha
11-29-2008, 06:31 PM
I dont belive its always for money. They spend like 15-17 years with barley any free time living plaing having your all life going aorund one pleace + plane if he doesnt like that pleace even if its a contender why on earth should he stay there.

We tend to look at profesional athlets thinking they should be loyal and respectfull to the teams that drafted in witch they made some quality value for their names but all in all even a profesional athlet is only a human he might simply feel bad in some pleace or just want to live soem where else for a while and not liek he got better chocie than change pleace where he works.

marques724
11-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Shaq wanted to be in Hollywood. Joe Johnson left a title contender to go to Hawks because he wanted to be the man

Cavs_Fan24
11-29-2008, 07:06 PM
In my opinion, it's because times have changed, a lot. Before it was about winning the champiobship, now it's about the money. There's not a whole lot of guys that are in it to win it all, most just wanna make their money, and be famous.