PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think Cleveland has a good chance to win it all this year?

JordansBulls
11-29-2008, 12:19 AM
Anyone think Cleveland has a good chance to win it all this year?

Seeing them play and seeing how they are just blowing teams out as well, I really wasn't expecting them to be this good.

Hustla23
11-29-2008, 12:21 AM
Definitely.

Cleveland is the second best team in the east, and not second by much.

I think on a good day Cleveland can take out Boston easily.

Seeing them thrash the knicks the other day showed how well all the players clicked.

I wish Sasha would get some burn though, miss watching him play :(

Kiss Ma Grits
11-29-2008, 12:35 AM
It depends

But they have the depth and talent to do it.

Ryan328
11-29-2008, 12:43 AM
They got a great chance

unwantedplayer
11-29-2008, 12:50 AM
They surprised me a lot this year. The pickup of Mo Williams was great. They definatly got a chance, but they got a long road ahead of them....

rosesbulls
11-29-2008, 01:11 AM
Its going to be a great eastern conference finals this year

Cleveland vs Boston

Cleveland has a great chance

hdxstunts1
11-29-2008, 01:19 AM
They have a chance to, but they wont win it!

oshea225
11-29-2008, 02:07 AM
they're absolutely looking like legitimate contenders so far. they definitely have a "good chance," but will they win it all? i hope so (assuming miami doesn't explode haha), but i'm not sure.

Hellcrooner
11-29-2008, 02:50 AM
Only if they can turn that wally expiring of 18 milions in either 2 solid players or 1nto 1 star.

barreleffact
11-29-2008, 03:39 AM
Boston will beat them, and LA has too good of a bench and front court for them to compete with for an entire series

Chronz
11-29-2008, 04:07 AM
Im with you on this on JB, I definitely didnt expect the Cavs to be THIS good, mostly given the question marks on their frontline with Joe Smith's departure but LeBron playing the 4 may have been the best thing for the team, which reminds me, wasnt there a thread regarding this awhile ago??

gangis2169
11-29-2008, 04:29 AM

Seeing them play and seeing how they are just blowing teams out as well, I really wasn't expecting them to be this good.

Im not so sure yet because they are beating all below .500 teams and have lost to the to big teams in the east. They really havent done much but beat really bad teams. So i guess we will see when they start playing some tuff teams

sp1derm00
11-29-2008, 04:40 AM
Im not so sure yet because they are beating all below .500 teams and have lost to the to big teams in the east. They really havent done much but beat really bad teams. So i guess we will see when they start playing some tuff teams

I agree, they lost to the Celtics, Pistons, and Hornets. The ONLY two notable wins they have are against the Jazz without Dwill and the Nuggets.

Wade_County
11-29-2008, 04:48 AM
I think Cleveland has a great chance to get to the finals but the Lakers are by far the best team in the NBA, and i hate the lakers but just being honest.

DenButsu
11-29-2008, 04:53 AM
I think they still don't have as good of a chance as L.A. or Boston, but they're looking like they have a better chance than just about the whole rest of the league, so sure, I'd call that a good chance.

TickTickBoom
11-29-2008, 06:42 AM
No. The Celtics will win it again because they are still a step above everybody else but, next year the Cavs will probably win it all because they are good and, they are good defensively and teams that play great defense can smash the Lakers to pieces like the Pistons and Celtics did. So Boston for one more year then Cleveland. The East is getting tougher.

SteveNash
11-29-2008, 08:19 AM
They lost all three games to championship level teams. The only time they beat a good team was Utah and everyone knows how injuries have hit their team this year.

Not impressed by beating them beating up on teams like the Bulls x2, Bucks, Nets, Knicks, Thunder, Warriors. The only other teams over 500 at the time were the Nuggets who didn't have the greatest chemistry since Billups arrived and the Hawks without Josh Smith.

JJ81
11-29-2008, 08:33 AM
At making the finals? Yes. Any winning the championship? No.

nygiants242
11-29-2008, 09:05 AM
yeah idk if they can beat the top Western Conference team... however they can make it out of the East IMO

JayW_1023
11-29-2008, 09:43 AM
I did not expect Cleveland to be significantly better but so far I'm proven wrong. They have a shot as long as LeBron James keeps performing the way he has.

oshea225
11-29-2008, 10:15 AM
i gotta agree wwith every one saying that its going to be tough for cleveland to beat the west's top team, but i'm just saying, i wouldn't want to be ANY team in the finals that has to play against lebron after he's already been swept once there (yes, that includes kobe and the lakers). if he makes it to the finals again, he will do absolutely everything humanly possible to make sure he walks away with a ring.

todu82
11-29-2008, 11:18 AM
I think they do. If they do look for Lebron James to sign a long-term deal with the Cavs next summer.

innovator
11-29-2008, 11:21 AM
CLEVELAND will win the east definitely and may win it all

jimbobjarree
11-29-2008, 11:53 AM
If its not Boston, a Western team will win it

Kiss Ma Grits
11-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Note to all of the posters still not impressed with the Cavs: They lost to 3 contenders ON THE ROAD. They led by double digits at the half in all three games. It's safe to say that when they played Boston and New Orleans that they Mo Williams was still trying to fit in and when they lost to Detroit they were on the back end of a back to back. I know I can't WAIT to play Boston and Detroit in Cleveland! The ONLY thing we need to focus on is getting homefield throughout the Playoffs cause there's no way Boston is winning a series against Cleveland if Cleveland has the homecourt. So the only thing Cleveland needs to focus on his getting as much rest as possible and staying paced with Boston for homecourt advantage.

DenButsu
11-29-2008, 12:39 PM
KMG, I think everybody is impressed. (If they're not, they're watching with blinders on). But to me the question is more... are we convinced? The longer the Cavs pursue their current course, the more compelling their case will become. But since Boston and L.A. have already proven the elite stature of their teams, it will take some time and, for many, more evidence. But right now, they do look like they'll be able to present a solid case.

Kiss Ma Grits
11-29-2008, 12:58 PM
KMG, I think everybody is impressed. (If they're not, they're watching with blinders on). But to me the question is more... are we convinced? The longer the Cavs pursue their current course, the more compelling their case will become. But since Boston and L.A. have already proven the elite stature of their teams, it will take some time and, for many, more evidence. But right now, they do look like they'll be able to present a solid case.

the question wasn't are we convinced or not, it was if Cleveland has a good chance. L.A. has done nothing to me to prove that they are ELITE. Are they good? Mos definitely, but the West has definitely gotten weaker this year just check the head to head record. And Boston was NEVER threatened by the Lakers in the finals so outside of their regular season start, they have not done ANYTHING for me to put them at ELITE status based off of everyone's definition of ELITE. Personally I think Cleveland could win the whole thing and people are still gonna find reason not to call them ELITE and that's fine because I don't see reasoning in most of their opinions anyway.

Cavs_Fan24
11-29-2008, 01:15 PM
I dont want to seem like a homer here, but i think they do have a good chance. They have great team chemistry, and have had solid play from all their players, not just LeBron.

DrDEADalready
11-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Need to change the Poll. cause any team "has" a good chance to win it all. need to change it to will they win it all. that way its more accurate.

SensandRaps
11-29-2008, 01:18 PM
they have a good chance

mariotubes
11-29-2008, 04:54 PM
theyve got no shot at beating boston in a 7 game series, and even if they did pull off that miracle they wont be beating kobe in the finals

IversonIsKrazy
11-29-2008, 05:41 PM
i dont c them topping the lakers or spurs from the west. they can defeat the east though, i think if they wurr to have a playoff series w/ boston, they would win, but, if pistons, they would lose. i think the east is more like a chain this year.

Boston: Can defeat Pistons, but not Cavs
Detroit: Can defeat Cavs, but not Celtics
Cleveland: Can defeat Celtics, but not Pistons

MiamiHeat
11-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Yes they have a chance

I bet more than half of the people that voted no were Knicks fans :p

NYMetros
11-29-2008, 05:46 PM
This is the same team that took the Celtics to 7 games last year. With LeBron James, anything is possible. He has the capability to single-handedly win you a game.

blacknell
11-29-2008, 06:04 PM
kinda hope so

Zefflin
11-29-2008, 06:07 PM
I voted yes because they could definitly make it to the Finals, but they won't beat LA in 7. Not a chance.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-29-2008, 06:13 PM
I think they're overrated.

Lakersfan2483
11-29-2008, 07:28 PM

I had them picked early to upset Boston in the playoffs, if they can stay healthy them may be able to make it to the finals. All of that said, I am still not convinced that any of the teams out east can score enough to beat Boston. Cleveland plays good defense, but I don't know if they have the firepower to beat Boston. Also, Cleveland has had a favorable schedule thus far, I want to see them tested on the road and against some quality opponents.

*Boston has also had a fairly easy schedule thus far.

Ethix11
11-29-2008, 07:31 PM
If your talking about the ECF. Yes. Thats it.

Giantwarrior
11-29-2008, 07:51 PM
They definately have a chance, but I do not see them winning it all. They have a high powered offense, but their team defense isn't all that great. I would like to see them play the lakers and see how they will match up.

DenButsu
11-29-2008, 07:54 PM
the question wasn't are we convinced or not, it was if Cleveland has a good chance. L.A. has done nothing to me to prove that they are ELITE. Are they good? Mos definitely, but the West has definitely gotten weaker this year just check the head to head record. And Boston was NEVER threatened by the Lakers in the finals so outside of their regular season start, they have not done ANYTHING for me to put them at ELITE status based off of everyone's definition of ELITE. Personally I think Cleveland could win the whole thing and people are still gonna find reason not to call them ELITE and that's fine because I don't see reasoning in most of their opinions anyway.

Oh come on, now you're just splitting hairs. :laugh2: People are going to answer that question based on whether they believe in the Cavs - or not - which is to say, based on whether or not they're convinced, and not based on whether they're impressed with them right now. That was my point - and it's right. Nobody is questioning that they look great right now - at least nobody who's actually watching them - but some people are questioning whether they can really not only maintain that level of play but take it to an even higher level in the postseason to beat Celtics/Lakers caliber teams in 7-game series.

AMC31
11-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Obviously i think so, but if you watch an entire Cavs game it seems their defense never gets weak, especially at home, and I see a Cavs-Lakers Finals this year or Cavs-Hornets.

dudeonthemoon
11-29-2008, 08:10 PM
Who have they beat that's a contender ?

marques724
11-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Yes, they have a shot but I think they need one more scorer to compete with Boston and LA

Sox Appeal
11-29-2008, 10:32 PM

The Lakers have done everything possible to prove they are an elite team. After the Gasol trade last season they went 25-5, and they stormed through the playoffs until the Finals where they ended up losing to Boston in 6 games. (The Lakers where also missing Andrew Bynum who was starting to really emerge as a dominate post threat, so if he plays in the series against Boston, there could have been a different outcome) This season, the Lakers have started out with an incredible 13-1 record, and it looks to me like they have the pieces in place to make a run at 72-10.

cmstophe
11-30-2008, 12:45 AM
I think they're overrated.

Me too.

Signed,
Gilbert Arenas and the Washington Wizards

Seriously, though, they have a good chance I think. They will probably be in the Final Four, the ECF...against Boston. From there, who knows?

Who have they beat that's a contender ?

Who have the Celtics beat that's a contender? Detroit?

I mean, what do you consider a "contender"? I really only consider about 5-6 teams to be true, real contenders.

Elite teams have dominating home records and .500 or better road records. The Cavs have lost all 3 of their games to elite teams (well depends on what you consider Detroit to be- however, Rasheed Wallace will *NOT* rain 3s in any other game this season) and on the road.

All 3 were close until the bitter end.

SportsFan9
11-30-2008, 12:51 AM
I knew that Cleveland would be good this year, but not this good. They are really surprising me, and I don't think they are that far behind Boston on being the best team in the East. If every thing goes smoothly for the Cavs then yes, I think they do have a good shot at winning it all this year.

cmstophe
11-30-2008, 12:56 AM
I dont think (unless they work magic with Wally's expiring at the deadline) the Cavs will be a "BETTER" team overall this season than Boston.

But their team dynamic makes them very dangerous in a 7 game playoff series, even against Boston, so I would love to see an ECF of boston vs cleveland

G-Funk
11-30-2008, 02:27 AM
They need to pulloff a nice trade like the Clippers(Zach)or Lakers did last year. I feel like they are one player away from being elite.

gangis2169
11-30-2008, 03:13 AM

Wow, Either you are a HUGE Lebron James fan or you really just have no idea what your talking about. Cleveland has been blessed with a great schedule till mid January. They very well could be the best team in the league up till that point. But! And I do mean But! There schedule will take a nasty turn and that is where the evaluation of this team would be justified. As for now do I think they are better than last year Im not sure but I do know that they are taking care of business with the crap teams of the league which they have not done in the past. So yes they are better and if they keep taking care of business against the bad teams they can put there team in a great position to get home field advantage and against the WEAK WEAK WEAK eastern conf. It could be a cake walk to the Boston series. So as long as there in the East and do there job they will have a chance every year. But lets face it this team would be a 7th or 8th seed if they were in the west when its all said and done.

LeBrowns
11-30-2008, 04:34 AM
We're one low post scoring bigman away from being the favorites in my opinion

LeBrowns
11-30-2008, 04:37 AM
theyve got no shot at beating boston in a 7 game series, and even if they did pull off that miracle they wont be beating kobe in the finals

LeBron basically took Boston to the final minutes of game 7 by himself, none the less this years team is much improved from last years, especially if the cavs aquire another bigman.

LeBrowns
11-30-2008, 04:38 AM
i dont c them topping the lakers or spurs from the west. they can defeat the east though, i think if they wurr to have a playoff series w/ boston, they would win, but, if pistons, they would lose. i think the east is more like a chain this year.

Boston: Can defeat Pistons, but not Cavs
Detroit: Can defeat Cavs, but not Celtics
Cleveland: Can defeat Celtics, but not Pistons

What is your reasoning why the Cavs can't beat the Pistons. The Pistons are essentially a 2 year older version of the team the Cavs beat in the 07 playoffs with the replacement of AI instead of Billups. Yes,Iverson improves the Pistons, but they are not immune against the Cavs. I would be pretty happy to see this series though, it's turning into a decent rivalry.

G-Funk
11-30-2008, 05:44 AM
We're one low post scoring bigman away from being the favorites in my opinion

Possibly...

kimchi'sworld
11-30-2008, 10:16 AM
They need to pulloff a nice trade like the Clippers(Zach)or Lakers did last year. I feel like they are one player away from being elite.

I agree. They need a backup power forward or even a player better then Ben Wallace that can score consistently and play defense.

I see them being good enough to compete with Detroit and Boston and they could challenge La, Houston, New Orlean or San Antonio in the finals

cmstophe
11-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Cavs would beat the Pistons in a 7 game. Boston will be their real problem. I watched the Detroit-Cleveland game this season at the Palace, and I will tell you that the only reason the Pistons won that game is because Sheed- yes, THAT Sheed- was raining 3s in crunch time.

If you think that would happen in a 7 game playoff series you're sadly mistaken.

EDIT: Oh, and that was the 2nd night of a back to back for the Cavs, too.

philab
11-30-2008, 08:01 PM
Cavs would beat the Pistons in a 7 game. Boston will be their real problem. I watched the Detroit-Cleveland game this season at the Palace, and I will tell you that the only reason the Pistons won that game is because Sheed- yes, THAT Sheed- was raining 3s in crunch time.

If you think that would happen in a 7 game playoff series you're sadly mistaken.

EDIT: Oh, and that was the 2nd night of a back to back for the Cavs, too.

Second night of a ROAD back-to-back.

That game was ridiculous, too. Sheed was quiet the whole game and then started dropping 30-footers with like three minutes left. I don't know if the Cavaliers were tired, lazy, or what, but in the playoffs they better get out there on him.

hotpotato1092
11-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Any other year I'd say yes, but they'd have to topple to giants to do it, and I don't see anybody beating the Lakers juggernaut.

Lebron23
11-30-2008, 08:55 PM

Cavs need to acquire Gerald Wallace. I can see that guy flourishing under the Cavaliers System.

LeBrowns
11-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Cavs need to acquire Gerald Wallace. I can see that guy flourishing under the Cavaliers System.

Brad Miller or preferably Chris Kaman would be far more ideal to this team.

Mr.Grizzly
11-30-2008, 09:19 PM
They will never win it all with Lebron!

LA_Raiders
11-30-2008, 09:45 PM
lol...no

cmstophe
12-01-2008, 01:24 AM
lol...no

lololololololololololololololololololol

good reasoning

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
12-01-2008, 02:53 AM
This is the best start the franchise has ever had at 14-3 so its looking good as of now.

codes238
12-01-2008, 12:44 PM
what happens if milwaukee decides to rebuild and cleveland turns wally's expiring contract, eric snow's expiring contract, jj hickson and a first rounder into michael redd and dan gadzuric's atrocious contract... i think that could happen easily, in fact the bukcs would be crazy not to do that deal at the deadline...

cleveland has a perfect guard platoon to complement lebron in mo williams, redd, delonte west and boobie gibson... they have the best small forward and player in the NBA... and then they have a platoon of 3 bangers at pf and center in wallace, big Z and verejau... how is that team not the favorite to win the championship!?

JordansBulls
12-01-2008, 12:51 PM
what happens if milwaukee decides to rebuild and cleveland turns wally's expiring contract, eric snow's expiring contract, jj hickson and a first rounder into michael redd and dan gadzuric's atrocious contract... i think that could happen easily, in fact the bukcs would be crazy not to do that deal at the deadline...

cleveland has a perfect guard platoon to complement lebron in mo williams, redd, delonte west and boobie gibson... they have the best small forward and player in the NBA... and then they have a platoon of 3 bangers at pf and center in wallace, big Z and verejau... how is that team not the favorite to win the championship!?

Yeah if Cleveland could trade Wally for Redd and have a lineup of

Mo Williams
Redd
Lebron
Big Ben
Big Z

That lineup is scary good. You have the size down low for defense, rebounding, blocking shots and a little scoring from Big Z. Then you have outside shooting from Redd and penetration from Mo Williams and Lebron.

Lebron23
12-01-2008, 12:56 PM
If the Cavaliers pull that trade Danny Ferry will win the NBA General Manager of the Year.

NYKnickFanatic
12-01-2008, 01:49 PM
I honestly see them winning it all this year.
LeBron is going to show why he is the best, and the Cavs will be the Champs.

cmstophe
12-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Um, I'm not sure if getting Redd is good for them. Didn't the Mo/Redd backcourt already fail? I know Cleveland runs different schemes but Redd is also not a great defender and their defense is already faltering a little in favor of offense this season. I'm not sure if that is a great move for the Cavs.

downsos
12-01-2008, 02:07 PM
As long as they have Lebron they have a chance.

BIGLOUSTUD
12-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Nope its
Lakers
Boston

then everyone else