PDA

View Full Version : Stoudemire: 'I want to be that guy'

phlp_bj
11-28-2008, 09:20 PM
PHOENIX -- The scene was the home locker room, minutes after the Suns had emphatically illustrated they are not who we're used to seeing and certainly are not where they want to be. Amare Stoudemire stood at his locker with his head bowed, looking distant amid a crowd of familiar faces, resembling a sad puppy who had lost his way.

The Phoenix Suns had not only been beaten by the Los Angeles Lakers over the course of 48 excruciating minutes in last week's 105-92 loss, they had been beaten down. L.A.'s precision had been in full effect, its togetherness undeniable, as had been the Lakers' depth and confidence. And so, indeed, had been the good time they were having at the Suns' expense.

"They did look really good out there," Stoudemire said, deadpan. "They were fluid, flowing. Just doing what they do. I remember when we looked like that."

Stoudemire stopped right there.

He knew he didn't need to say another word.

The Suns, at 11-5, still sit near the top of the Western Conference standings. They still have Stoudemire and Steve Nash. Add the usual bandits like Raja Bell, Boris Diaw and Grant Hill, and one would think Phoenix is still the same potent team it's been in recent memory.

Except that is simply not true.

For one thing, the Suns don't have departed coach Mike D'Antoni, who averaged 58 wins the past four seasons. In his place is new coach Terry Porter, whose mandate is to tweak the offense and cater more to Shaquille O'Neal (acquired from Miami halfway into last season) -- but more so to fix a defense that surrendered 105 points per game (24th in the league) and 45.6 percent shooting from the field (18th) last season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=smith_stephen&page=Stoudemire-081128

unwantedplayer
11-28-2008, 09:37 PM
I think here comes the downfall of a great team. Elite teams dont stay that great forever.

NYMetros
11-28-2008, 09:39 PM
The Suns trading Marion = terrible. It just killed their uptempo style of play.

ink
11-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Stephen A. Smith is the worst NBA writer on the planet. And that includes a lot of scrubs. Come on, it's easy to take shots at Kerr, Porter and the things the Suns are trying to do this year. It's not easy to change the way a team plays. The other way just wasn't working, so this was inevitable. Stat can say "that used to be us" all he likes, but the team did not win a championship. Change happens. Stoudemire can affect whether the change is successful or not.

rosesbulls
11-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Then Knicks should cross him off there list because

If they get Wade or Lebron he wont ever be "the guy"

If they dont then there not competitive so he wont want to be there.

NYMetros
11-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Stephen A. Smith is the worst NBA writer on the planet. And that includes a lot of scrubs. Come on, it's easy to take shots at Kerr, Porter and the things the Suns are trying to do this year. It's not easy to change the way a team plays. The other way just wasn't working, so this was inevitable. Stat can say "that used to be us" all he likes, but the team did not win a championship. Change happens. Stoudemire can affect whether the change is successful or not.

Well, this way is not working either. It's obvious that the slowed down, half-court style offense has not been a success in it's short tenure with the Suns. Whether it will eventually will work or not remains to be seen, but the "old" Suns team was guaranteed a top playoff spot every year. Can't say the same for this "new" team. A lot left to be played though, so who knows.

njnets
11-28-2008, 11:00 PM
these aren't porter's guys. they don't fit his system. i think this team is completely done in 2 years, and will slowly deteriorate until nash and shaq get to 38 years old so i don't see this happening smoothly for much longer.

Lost Art
11-28-2008, 11:02 PM
They should have just kept Marion.....as soon as they brought in Shaq, this team was doomed.

ink
11-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Well, this way is not working either. It's obvious that the slowed down, half-court style offense has not been a success in it's short tenure with the Suns. Whether it will eventually will work or not remains to be seen, but the "old" Suns team was guaranteed a top playoff spot every year. Can't say the same for this "new" team. A lot left to be played though, so who knows.

I'm not sure we'll ever see that team again. Fact is, they were all getting older and their window was closing. Believe me, I loved the uptempo Suns. :D I was lucky enough to see Nash play high school basketball in Vancouver and he played exactly the same way. It was unbelievable. But it wasn't going to last forever. How many teams can pull off that run-and-gun style? When will we see it again? Who knows.

Blue Tiger
11-28-2008, 11:30 PM
I feel a little sorry for Amare Stoudemire being on the Suns team watching his team slowly deprive from being an elite team of the west, well he can come join the Bulls with Dwayne Wade for an new adventure to win a championship and shut down the Knicks that's expecting to have LeBron James and Chris Bosh.

ink
11-28-2008, 11:35 PM
I feel a little sorry for Amare Stoudemire being on the Suns team watching his team slowly deprive from being an elite team of the west, well he can come join the Bulls with Dwayne Wade for an new adventure to win a championship and shut down the Knicks that's expecting to have LeBron James and Chris Bosh.

Keep dreaming. lol.

Hustla23
11-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Well, if he wants to go back to the old style of play that he so adores, I heard there's a team that's trying to do that way out on the east coast.

I think he might see a familiar face there :)

rosesbulls
11-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Well, if he wants to go back to the old style of play that he so adores, I heard there's a team that's trying to do that way out on the east coast.

I think he might see a familiar face there :)

You really think just because D'antonis the coach he will want to go there?

It might affect his decision but in the end he wants to be the guy on a championship team if the knicks get Lebron then he isnt the guy if they dont there not a championship team.

NYMetros
11-29-2008, 12:11 AM

:laugh2:

rosesbulls
11-29-2008, 12:13 AM
Keep dreaming. lol.

Why cant we dream its no different then the Knicks saying there getting Lebron.

We have 35m in commited salaries and that can go down fast if the bulls trade Hinrich or Noc for a big man.

Knick fans say because Lebron loves Ny and its a big market he'll want to go there.

Wade loves Chicago and its a big market + all his family is here...:D

Hustla23
11-29-2008, 12:18 AM
You really think just because D'antonis the coach he will want to go there?

It might affect his decision but in the end he wants to be the guy on a championship team if the knicks get Lebron then he isnt the guy if they dont there not a championship team.

lol In his interview you can tell he's pining for the old system where he got as many touches as he wanted and wasn't restricted down low by some fat lummox like Shaq.

He wants to be the main "big", not main player. Otherwise he wouldn't want Nash or Marion on his team. He's not an idiot, you can't build a championship team with just Amare.

Us getting Lebron will want to make him come even more to New York, where he'll be the main big man in the paint with Lebron throwing him sweet passes.

Of course knowing you, you're going to respond with some **** like "Ooomg just because it's New York, you knick fans think you can have everything , blah blah Chicago has just as much chance signing everybody because they're a big market too, we have Derrick Rose to entice free agents, blah blah blah New Yorkers are stupid blah blah" :rolleyes:

Wow I saved you alot of typing there :)

rosesbulls
11-29-2008, 12:33 AM
lol In his interview you can tell he's pining for the old system where he got as many touches as he wanted and wasn't restricted down low by some fat lummox like Shaq.

He wants to be the main "big", not main player. Otherwise he wouldn't want Nash or Marion on his team. He's not an idiot, you can't build a championship team with just Amare.

Us getting Lebron will want to make him come even more to New York, where he'll be the main big man in the paint with Lebron throwing him sweet passes.

Of course knowing you, you're going to respond with some **** like "Ooomg just because it's New York, you knick fans think you can have everything , blah blah Chicago has just as much chance signing everybody because they're a big market too, we have Derrick Rose to entice free agents, blah blah blah New Yorkers are stupid blah blah" :rolleyes:

Wow I saved you alot of typing there :)

1.) Lebron isnt a pg he's a sf with decent passing skills...

2.) He was the main offensive player with Nash and Marion on the team...

3.) Yes you cant build a championship team with just amar'e but you can build 1 with him being the main offensive player. And thanks for trying to save me the typing of having D Rose on are team to entice FA but I'll still elaborate what that implies

4.) A. a real pg not a sf running the point.

B. a guy who with D Rose being 22and Amare 28 when it comes around they'll both be young enough to start a longer version of the Amar'e Nash 1

C. Amar'e has always had a true pg to help magnify his game i doubt he'll want to change that

5.) I bet your response to this will be that you guys will be able to pick up Nash and that Amar'e would love it to be like the good old days... Nash will be 38 probably way over the hill ( if he's still even in the NBA) we've seen a huge drop off in his play and Amar'e will see that to. I decided to try and save you a little typing as well ;)

And he won't get as many touches if they have Lebron.

If you wish to further this discussion please bring it to the Official 201 knicks thread.

JordansBulls
11-29-2008, 12:35 AM
They should have just kept Marion.....as soon as they brought in Shaq, this team was doomed.

The Suns would never have won a title with Marion on the team. They didn't have enough size.

ink
11-29-2008, 12:46 AM
Why cant we dream its no different then the Knicks saying there getting Lebron.

We have 35m in commited salaries and that can go down fast if the bulls trade Hinrich or Noc for a big man.

Knick fans say because Lebron loves Ny and its a big market he'll want to go there.

Wade loves Chicago and its a big market + all his family is here...:D

You guys are all dreaming.

rosesbulls
11-29-2008, 01:05 AM
You guys are all dreaming.

I dont think Wade is coming here I was simply pointing out that if Lebron to NY is a possibility then so is Wade to Chicago

hdxstunts1
11-29-2008, 01:20 AM
The suns, spurs, and mavericks are on their steady paceto rebuilding!

DieselPowered32
11-29-2008, 01:57 AM
Is this the same Amare who only had 3 freakin Rebounds against the Timberwolves the other day?

Is this the same Amare who has 4 double Doubles so far this season to a 36 yr old Shaq's 7 double doubles?

Is this the Same Amare who whined about having to play center an not being able to play PF before Shaq came to town?

Is this the same Amare who had a dig at Dantoni by saying "I love Terry Porter," Stoudemire says to the camera. "His method. His way of coaching is going to be great for us. You know, he's extremely focused on the defensive end, something that we haven't practiced at all in the previous three years, and now we're definitely practicing and improving on the defensive end." And now he suddenly misses him!

Amare will never be the man like LBJ,Dwight,WADE or Duncan are in their teams because they don't say anything they just play and show everybody how great they are...oh and they play D aswell

Chronz
11-29-2008, 02:24 AM
What happened to Amare benefiting from Shaqs presence?

JJ81
11-29-2008, 08:38 AM
The Suns trading Marion = terrible. It just killed their uptempo style of play.

Exactly.

JPHX
11-29-2008, 06:01 PM
What happened to Amare benefiting from Shaqs presence?

He WAS benefiting until Porter brought in his system. They need to find a middle ground and agree on a system that compliments the strengths of this team, which is running. Im sorry to say that it seems like he is putting the cuffs on this team.

jimbobjarree
11-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Stephen A Smith is a ****ing legend

Hustla23
11-29-2008, 09:47 PM
1.) Lebron isnt a pg he's a sf with decent passing skills...

2.) He was the main offensive player with Nash and Marion on the team...

3.) Yes you cant build a championship team with just amar'e but you can build 1 with him being the main offensive player. And thanks for trying to save me the typing of having D Rose on are team to entice FA but I'll still elaborate what that implies

4.) A. a real pg not a sf running the point.

B. a guy who with D Rose being 22and Amare 28 when it comes around they'll both be young enough to start a longer version of the Amar'e Nash 1

C. Amar'e has always had a true pg to help magnify his game i doubt he'll want to change that

5.) I bet your response to this will be that you guys will be able to pick up Nash and that Amar'e would love it to be like the good old days... Nash will be 38 probably way over the hill ( if he's still even in the NBA) we've seen a huge drop off in his play and Amar'e will see that to. I decided to try and save you a little typing as well ;)

And he won't get as many touches if they have Lebron.

If you wish to further this discussion please bring it to the Official 201 knicks thread.

Lebron is classified as a POINT Forward. He's the one whose controlling the ball most of the time. He does everything but bring the ball up.

I don't know what Amare wants but he's got alot of things going for him in New York.

1.) His old system that made him a star.
2.) His old coach
3.) (If Lebron joins or makes a verbal commitment to join if Amare joins), a legit chance to win a championship.

And if Nash comes, then we're just adding gravy to the turkey.

:)

gcoll
11-30-2008, 02:30 AM
As a Suns fan, I really hate the media.

The past what? 4 years...all I've heard:

Suns can't win with that up tempo style....
They'll never win a title playing that style....
Suns can't win with their style...

we change our style, and the reaction is:

That was stupid. Your strength was your up tempo style of play....

and then you got last year. Where for much of the year, we were the #1 record in the west. And we were just constantly dogged.

And then this year....we've had all this negative news and whatnot...and you look up, and we're tied with a few other teams for the 2nd best record in the West. While transitioning coaches, and styles of play. We're still a work in progress at 17 games into the season, and every time they talk about the Suns, it's negative.

Matrix3132
11-30-2008, 02:50 AM
As a Suns fan, I really hate the media.

The past what? 4 years...all I've heard:

Suns can't win with that up tempo style....
They'll never win a title playing that style....
Suns can't win with their style...

we change our style, and the reaction is:

That was stupid. Your strength was your up tempo style of play....

and then you got last year. Where for much of the year, we were the #1 record in the west. And we were just constantly dogged.

And then this year....we've had all this negative news and whatnot...and you look up, and we're tied with a few other teams for the 2nd best record in the West. While transitioning coaches, and styles of play. We're still a work in progress at 17 games into the season, and every time they talk about the Suns, it's negative.

Yes, everyone knew the suns had to change their style of play but it was assumed that Amare, not Shaq, would be "that guy." So far this season, it is clear that Porter really wants to feed Shaq and his awkward/sometimes infrequent minutes makes the shot distribution unbalanced at times and leaves Amare going long stretches without even touching the ball.

G-Funk
11-30-2008, 02:53 AM
selfish

gcoll
11-30-2008, 02:59 AM
Yes, everyone knew the suns had to change their style of play but it was assumed that Amare, not Shaq, would be "that guy." So far this season, it is clear that Porter really wants to feed Shaq and his awkward/sometimes infrequent minutes makes the shot distribution unbalanced at times and leaves Amare going long stretches without even touching the ball.

That's true.

He's also gone away from the pick and roll, and tried to get Amare the ball in the post, which is silly.

That being said, about our offensive problems. We're still leading the league in field goal percentage. The main thing wrong with the Suns, is the turnovers. Which would allude to the types of problems you are talking about. Guys out of position/not knowing where to be on the court. Not knowing where team mates are gonna be...that type of thing.