PDA

View Full Version : Dominant Players are Great, but Balance is The Foundation of Consistency

DenButsu
11-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Last season the Denver Nuggets were anything but balanced. Two players - Carmelo Anthony and Allen Iverson - combined for 52.1 of the teams 110.7 points per game, a whopping 47% of the team's scoring. And for Melo and/or AI to get 30+ points was a very regular occurence. They finished with 50 wins, at .610. This season, though, with five players in double digit scoring (Carmelo Anthony 20.5, Chauncey Billups 17.5, Nene Hilario 15.5, Kenyon Martin 14.1, J.R. Smith 10.9), they are 10-5, at a .666 win %.

The stat the drove home the significance of all this for me was this: Last night when Melo scored 30 points against the Clippers, it was the first time this season that any Nuggets player scored 30 or more.

So in a league where the LBJs and Wades and Kobes etc. get all the love, I just wanted to give props to all the supporting casts out there. For Denver, that nod would go to K-Mart and Nene for doing an admirable job of holding a frontcourt down that so many people thought would be devastated by the loss of Camby.

Who is it for your team?

JordansBulls
11-27-2008, 11:02 PM
For the Bulls it is all about Rose. It starts with him and it ends with him. The only other consistent guys are Gordon and Nocioni.

daleja424
11-27-2008, 11:07 PM
For the Bulls it is all about Rose. It starts with him and it ends with him. The only other consistent guys are Gordon and Nocioni.

which is why the bulls are .500...same with wade being the only guy in miami

lakers4sho
11-27-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm pretty sure everyone would agree that this year's Lakers are balanced. Long gone were the days were Kobe has to score 30 points for them to salvage a win.

As for the Nuggets, I think the next thing in their agenda is to get a deeper bench. They have J.R. Smith, but that's all they have. They should have him start IMO. Smith off the bench is fine, but (no offense to Nuggets fans) Anthony Carter is a PIECE OF ****.

If the Nuggz can get a couple of serviceable pieces here and there, they'd be a major force in the West. I think their starting 5 is fine as it is. They need to work on their depth.

Wilson
11-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Well for the Lakers, a lot of credit goes to Bynum, Fisher and the bench. Fisher was a great role player for us last year, Bynum has been a solid 3rd option so far, and appears to be getting back up to speed now. The bench, last season and so far this season, have been great in providing a change of pace which makes it harder for other teams to keep up with us. Those factors take a lot of pressure off Kobe and Pau.

astrosmaniac
11-27-2008, 11:33 PM
for the rockets its shane battier, aaron brooks, carl landry, and luis scola

DenButsu
11-27-2008, 11:38 PM
Smith off the bench is fine, but (no offense to Nuggets fans) Anthony Carter is a PIECE OF ****.

Offense? We're usually the ones saying it! :laugh2:

MrBloop
11-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Last season the Denver Nuggets were anything but balanced. Two players - Carmelo Anthony and Allen Iverson - combined for 52.1 of the teams 110.7 points per game, a whopping 47% of the team's scoring. And for Melo and/or AI to get 30+ points was a very regular occurence. They finished with 50 wins, at .610. This season, though, with five players in double digit scoring (Carmelo Anthony 20.5, Chauncey Billups 17.5, Nene Hilario 15.5, Kenyon Martin 14.1, J.R. Smith 10.9), they are 10-5, at a .666 win %.

The stat the drove home the significance of all this for me was this: Last night when Melo scored 30 points against the Clippers, it was the first time this season that any Nuggets player scored 30 or more.

So in a league where the LBJs and Wades and Kobes etc. get all the love, I just wanted to give props to all the supporting casts out there. For Denver, that nod would go to K-Mart and Nene for doing an admirable job of holding a frontcourt down that so many people thought would be devastated by the loss of Camby.

Who is it for your team?

How much more props do you need to give the perrenial first round exit darlings the Denver Nuggets?

Wilson
11-28-2008, 12:19 AM
How much more props do you need to give the perrenial first round exit darlings the Denver Nuggets?

It's pretty clear that this Denver team is very different from the 'first round exit darlings', for exactly the reasons DenButsu said.

SAVAGE CLAW
11-28-2008, 12:56 AM
For the Knicks its.....Crap we have 15 role players!!! :(

LAKERS 24/7
11-28-2008, 03:12 AM
Don't really know where to start for the Lakers when it comes to depth. Kobe was 5/17 for 12 points a couple nights ago. You'd think we'd be screwed, but we scored 120 points and beat NJ by 27 points.

rosesbulls
11-28-2008, 03:22 AM
For the bulls its probably Gooden and Nocioni.

DenButsu
11-28-2008, 06:41 AM

I just wanted to give props to all the supporting casts out there....

Who is it for your team?

I'm asking about other teams, and using the example of the Nuggets to set the stage and illustrate the kind of answer I'm looking for.

Who peed in your cheerios?

LakerzDQ
11-28-2008, 08:17 AM
For the Lakers, the props go to: Lamar Odom, Trevor Ariza, Jordan Farmar for doing great off the bench. And I give props to the supporting casts in Andrew Bynum, Derek Fisher, and Vlade Radmanovic.

Hustla23
11-28-2008, 12:14 PM
I like the Nuggets trade. Helped them out greatly. Billups is doing a solid job. Just proves how important a real point guard is.

For the knicks, we have **** players supporting less **** players. :)
But we're somehow 6-7? :sigh:

NYMetros
11-28-2008, 12:44 PM
which is why the bulls are .500...same with wade being the only guy in miami

What about Beasley, Marion, and Udonis Haslem? Those guys aren't garbage.

b_rad23
11-28-2008, 12:55 PM
What about Beasley, Marion, and Udonis Haslem? Those guys aren't garbage.

I don't know if it's bad coaching, youth, or what but when Wade is not in the game we fall into double-digit deficits and then Wade has to do his spectacular come backs. Whenever Beasley is hot, we seem to avoid passing to him. Haslem is nice, but he's pretty much just midrange and the occasional dunk or layup. Marion, on the other hand, is not garbage and definitely deserves mention.

Wilson
11-28-2008, 03:03 PM
I don't know if it's bad coaching, youth, or what but when Wade is not in the game we fall into double-digit deficits and then Wade has to do his spectacular come backs. Whenever Beasley is hot, we seem to avoid passing to him. Haslem is nice, but he's pretty much just midrange and the occasional dunk or layup. Marion, on the other hand, is not garbage and definitely deserves mention.

Haslem is playing out of position at C as well. He's very good as a role player at PF, unfortunatly teams are going to ask for him if you try to trade for a C. It also creates a question as to what to do with Beasley and Marion.