PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst Case Scenario for the Astros?

native_astro
11-27-2008, 04:38 PM
This off-season has got off to a really slow start and it got me thinking. What happens if Astros fail to resign Wolf and Brocail? What happens if Ben Sheets, Lowe, Garland, etc choose a different team?

What happens if the Astros trade Valverde and Wigginton? Is it possible that the Astros could get themselves in a far worst situation by trying to save money?

Personally there is not a FA out there outside of C.C Sabathia that really blows me away. Guys like Sheets, Penny,Burnett, and Wolf have all battled injuries. Lowe is getting up there on age a 3-4 year deal is quite a gamble.

On the flip side, maybe the Astros go out and trade Jose Valverde and Ty Wigginton for prospects then flip these prospects to the Padres for Jake Peavy. Then maybe they fill their closer role and RF vacancy with Kerry Wood and maybe someone like Adam Dunn or a Milton Bradley type. Who knows!

What do you guys think the best and worste case scenarios are for the Astros this off season?

lilboytwister99
11-27-2008, 10:26 PM
I think the best case scenario for the Astros is trading away Valverde and Wigginton and in the end (after flipping prospects) landing up with Jake Peavy. That is the best case scenario pitching wise.

Worst case scenario, which I think is most likely, is that Randy Wolf signs elsewhere, along with Brocail. We trade Valverde and Wigginton and land some prospects which wont be enough for Peavy, and then we're stuck with some serious holes. Blum is not an everyday 3B, and we wont be signing any FA closer (sorry Kerry Wood).

I think the Astros are dumping salary now and if things dont work their way this season, they will make room for 2010 and sign at least another ace for their pitching staff. I mean Oswalt cant do all the work himself.

However, think back just a bit. In 2005, look at the team we had. They were young. Offensively we were inexperienced, but defensively we had speed, and overall a pretty decent defense. Even though, we did also have one of the top pitching staffs in the majors that year as well. My point being that we have to give some youngsters some playing time because it might just pay off. We have some decent veterans, but they aren't gettin any younger.

I have a bit of faith in Ed Wade. He surprised me last offseason, and I cant see him being "quiet" with the needs this team has. He's bound to pull something off.

Agstro
11-28-2008, 03:54 AM
I think the best case scenario for the Astros is trading away Valverde and Wigginton and in the end (after flipping prospects) landing up with Jake Peavy. That is the best case scenario pitching wise.

Worst case scenario, which I think is most likely, is that Randy Wolf signs elsewhere, along with Brocail. We trade Valverde and Wigginton and land some prospects which wont be enough for Peavy, and then we're stuck with some serious holes. Blum is not an everyday 3B, and we wont be signing any FA closer (sorry Kerry Wood).

I think the Astros are dumping salary now and if things dont work their way this season, they will make room for 2010 and sign at least another ace for their pitching staff. I mean Oswalt cant do all the work himself.

However, think back just a bit. In 2005, look at the team we had. They were young. Offensively we were inexperienced, but defensively we had speed, and overall a pretty decent defense. Even though, we did also have one of the top pitching staffs in the majors that year as well. My point being that we have to give some youngsters some playing time because it might just pay off. We have some decent veterans, but they aren't gettin any younger.

I have a bit of faith in Ed Wade. He surprised me last offseason, and I cant see him being "quiet" with the needs this team has. He's bound to pull something off.

I agree with, but the problem is who? I figure we will see a couple of the pitchers from the minors this year. Newhan forced Wade's hand a bit by refusing the assignment to AAA, but if the sent him down it sounds like he wasn't in the plans as a backup. I figure we might see Manzella but only as a defensive replacement because his bat is horrible.

Sutton is a possiblity, but he is also a defensive liablity. Saccamano is not a prospect at 25+, but he might be a decent bench bat.

Bogusevic is the one prospect that intrigues me, but I see him making a mid season appearance if he has continued success. It also depends on how Bourn does because if he is doing well then why rush Brian.

Other than that the cupboard is bare. So while I like the youth movement idea we kinda lack the pieces to do it.

Agstro
11-28-2008, 04:07 AM
This off-season has got off to a really slow start and it got me thinking. What happens if Astros fail to resign Wolf and Brocail? What happens if Ben Sheets, Lowe, Garland, etc choose a different team?

What happens if the Astros trade Valverde and Wigginton? Is it possible that the Astros could get themselves in a far worst situation by trying to save money?

Personally there is not a FA out there outside of C.C Sabathia that really blows me away. Guys like Sheets, Penny,Burnett, and Wolf have all battled injuries. Lowe is getting up there on age a 3-4 year deal is quite a gamble.

On the flip side, maybe the Astros go out and trade Jose Valverde and Ty Wigginton for prospects then flip these prospects to the Padres for Jake Peavy. Then maybe they fill their closer role and RF vacancy with Kerry Wood and maybe someone like Adam Dunn or a Milton Bradley type. Who knows!

What do you guys think the best and worste case scenarios are for the Astros this off season?

My worst case scenario is that we resign Wolf and Brocial and lose the draft picks. More so Brocail than Wolf because bullpen arms are easier to replace than starters and Brocial is worth more draft pick wise.

Hampton I believe will perform as well as Wolf, and Hampton only wants a one year deal to prove he can be health and productive. I alsways read on this board about people want low risk high reward, well I believe this is the best chance of that for the Astros.

Jermster
11-28-2008, 08:19 PM

The Worst would be if they did NOTHING.

tripleplay2007
11-29-2008, 12:56 AM
The Worst would be if they did NOTHING.

Which wouldn't be a big suprise... lol.