PDA

View Full Version : YOU for Stephon? or are you FOR the KNICKS? why?

WeaponXXX
11-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Even though he is:
-a public figure
-binding contract to PLAY
-in a basketball team and should be playing

I fully agree with what Steph is doing right now. I didn't follow the entire story but I may be wrong.... but I think this is D'Antoni's fault. He publicly out right said that he didn't want him to play for the knicks(aka disrespecting him). Knicks now are in need for bodies, and in need of Steph to increase his trade value and can't get it because steph is ticked off.

GO STEPH

innovator
11-27-2008, 10:23 AM
im for steph

marbury >>>>> duhon

GrkGawdofWalkz
11-27-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm for Steph to Israel, Greece, Italy or anywhere outside of NY, he's a crap talking, ego having, no ball sharing me first only player. I bet his astrological sign is Cancer.

Ak_47
11-27-2008, 10:54 AM
**** D'antoni.. its his fault

jimmyjames
11-27-2008, 11:04 AM
marbury signed a contract to play basketball. If he fails to honor that by playing. the Knicks should look for a way to void his contract.

why would any team want to sign/trade for a player who refuses to play? he just cut off his nose to spite his face. marbury is now known as the guy who refused to play. he will never play in the nba again.

disrespect him? at 20 million dollars you can disrespect me all you want. grow up with all this nonsense.

marbury is a very silly man. he needs to put his ego in check. he is set for life with the money he is getting but he will never play again.

Kaptain Kanada
11-27-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm for Steph.... good for him for refusing to play a couple games after they refused to play him all year. Eff the Knicks.

unwantedplayer
11-27-2008, 11:17 AM
all d'antoni's fault. he made a fool out of stephon

BALLER71
11-27-2008, 11:49 AM
People seem to forget how good this guy was... he has alooot of talent.
Buy him out and let him go to a team where he can use his talent. Stupid Knicks organization.

Buda24
11-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Oh poor Steph! The selfish baby has to sit with 21mil as a paycheck. He is a terrible 2 guard but could be very good as a point but is a stinky butt child who will never get it!
Get his toxic butt as far away as they can, maybe the Knicks can sell his contract to syberia!!

cwilson21
11-27-2008, 12:13 PM
This is the same idiot who could've won championships with Garnett but demanded a trade because he wanted to be the big star on the team he played. **** Marbury.

lakerboy
11-27-2008, 12:15 PM
The stupid Knicks management were stupid enough to sign stupid Stephon Marbury.

yboord028
11-27-2008, 12:16 PM
The stupid Knicks management were stupid enough to sign stupid Stephon Marbury.

Not the current Knicks management...

Statik1
11-27-2008, 12:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3730245

Dont need to say anything else after that article......

Steph is ***** made.......

Not even willing to play................

If any nba team picks him up they have to be smoking crack

innovator
11-27-2008, 12:26 PM
marbury refused to play cuz knicks refused to play him first. cant believe dantoni would rather give playing time to duhon than marbury.. i can name like 10 starting PGs that sucks more than marbury RIGHT NOW

(not in particular order)
dee brown (was)
earl watson (okl)
alston
conley
chalmers
telfair
DUHON
fisher
ridnour
nelson

uchiha
11-27-2008, 12:32 PM
both parties are morons

that was easy..

Frank Costanza
11-27-2008, 12:39 PM
im for the knicks, *** steph

ink
11-27-2008, 12:56 PM
How could anyone take Marbury's side in this? He was a ******* with the previous management and he's still a *******. It's not D'Antoni's fault. Marbury is getting paid to play and prepare himself to play. There are no excuses for a player who refuses to do what's in his contract. Too bad the Knicks can't just say he forfeited his contract by refusing to play. Whoever said it in this thread is right: any other team that would want him has to be brain dead.

rrude
11-27-2008, 01:07 PM
All I can say to Steph supporters is,

I hope he winds up on your favorite team so you can learn the hard lesson. He only does one thing really well on the court (go to the hole) and he's the worst sort of teammate off. It's clear he's more interested in playing mind games than playing basketball.

sjbirds
11-27-2008, 01:09 PM
marbury may be better then duhon but befor the trades the knicks had a .500record. a team cant win with marbury as its point guard. he has never won and never wiill.

THE_FLASH_21
11-27-2008, 01:14 PM
*uck D'antoni.. its his fault

AGREE........... 100000000000000000% He asked for all of this.....

THE_FLASH_21
11-27-2008, 01:19 PM
all u people here dissing Marbury are dumb... Whatever.. U guys don't know what he's gone thru...He grew up there... He was suppose to be the team savior.. I know he can be a pain... But lets put it from our point of views...

Would you guys work for a boss after he tells u he doesn't need u?? He gets desperate
so.... he tells u i need u know??? What if he gets hurt??? Marbury is smart....he's filty rich... and the Knicks front office is stupid...... WAY TO GO STARBURY!!!

WeaponXXX
11-27-2008, 01:39 PM
If he is willing to be back up to Jose Calderon(even though he is better than him) and at times(Probably many times) be placed as a SG through games I'll welcome him to join the raptors. We desperately need a back up and a person who can take it to the hole.

Steph:
Can score with the best of them
Above average court sense, vision, passing.

Dude, this guy is an all-star. Nobody can question this. I mean, you guys all have valid arguments that he messed you guys up in NY but you guys messed yourself up in bringing Isiah Thomas as a GM. He made a proud franchise and disgrace. If Isiah built a winning environment, the Starbury issue would not be as big as it is now.

D'antoni had his chance. He's an a-s--ole for putting marbury on the spot. If you were being called out by your boss like that you will obviously be pissed and probably lash out. But he didn't, he understood it but with a grudge. WIth all the interviews and media coverage, I haven't seen something said bad from him about the Org and about D'antoni. He sat on the sideline like a PRO. I say GOOD for him.

D'antoni CAST him off like a bum and now he comes begging for some help. :clap:
D'antoni closed the doors for himself and the Knicks (SERIOUS side note: Great coach btw.... lol)

Steph has to be laughing now. GOOOOOOOOOOOOO STEPH

MrBloop
11-27-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm for permanently removing that giant Milk Dud from our Knick roster once and for all.

king4day
11-27-2008, 01:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3730245

Dont need to say anything else after that article......

Steph is ***** made.......

Not even willing to play................

If any nba team picks him up they have to be smoking crack

I was gonna post this if it wasn't here already.
This is why Steph is wrong. Nevermind the coaches, he's disrespecting his 'family'.
If he doesn't suit up, then fine him. He's willing to sit and let one of his teammates play hurt? He's mental. Now, not only is it akward with the coaches, it's akward with the players.

king4day
11-27-2008, 01:57 PM
If he is willing to be back up to Jose Calderon(even though he is better than him) and at times(Probably many times) be placed as a SG through games I'll welcome him to join the raptors. We desperately need a back up and a person who can take it to the hole.

Steph:

Dude, this guy is an all-star. Nobody can question this. I mean, you guys all have valid arguments that he messed you guys up in NY but you guys messed yourself up in bringing Isiah Thomas as a GM. He made a proud franchise and disgrace. If Isiah built a winning environment, the Starbury issue would not be as big as it is now.

D'antoni had his chance. He's an a-s--ole for putting marbury on the spot. If you were being called out by your boss that you will obviously be pissed and probably lash out. But he didn't, he understood it but with a grudge. WIth all the interviews and media coverage, I haven't seen something said bad from him about the Org and about D'antoni. He sat on the sideline like a PRO. I say GOOD for him.

D'antoni closed the doors for himself and the Knicks (SERIOUS side note: Great coach btw.... lol)

Was

When was the last time he 'scored with the best of them'? He's had plenty of time in NY and isn't in the 'best of them's' league.

... and I'm pretty sure if anyone at their jobs just said, "I feel disrespected, I'm not coming to work", that they'd be unemployeed pretty quickly.

To Marbury... Cry me a river, play ball and grow up.

WeaponXXX
11-27-2008, 01:59 PM
You wouldn't know if he isn't, he's not playing

Lakerfan32
11-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Steph is getting paid to play and not play when the team says. If he refuses than, all whiny chick stuff aside, he should not be paid. Plain and simple. The coach determines when you play and when you don't. Steph is a cancer and deserves all of this. Dock his pay

FOBolous
11-27-2008, 02:04 PM
marbury have been a cocky arrogant self-fish player all his life. D'atoni isn't the first coach he clashed with. He thinks just because he's a good player everyone should cater to him. he thinks the team should cater to him. he thinks the coach should cater to him. new flashs marbury, basketball is a TEAM sport. props to D'atoni for not taking it and for putting the TEAM above ONE player.

king4day
11-27-2008, 02:07 PM
You wouldn't know if he isn't, he's not playing

If that's the case then the entire league should be knocking on the Knicks door to deal them.
But clearly there's not a GM in the league that believes that.

FOBolous
11-27-2008, 02:10 PM

Steph:

D'antoni had his chance. He's an a-s--ole for putting marbury on the spot. If you were being called out by your boss that you will obviously be pissed and probably lash out. But he didn't, he understood it but with a grudge. WIth all the interviews and media coverage, I haven't seen something said bad from him about the Org and about D'antoni. He sat on the sideline like a PRO. I say GOOD for him.

in real life...if your boss called you out and you lashed out, you will be fired. That happened to one of my co worker...he didn't like some of the decision the company made and he decided to express his anger directly to the directors and managers. a few days later...he was fired. If Marbury wasn't playing basketball but he's working at a regular company...he would've been without a job a LOOOOOOOOONG time ago.

and he's not lashing out? he's lashing out by not playing.

and he sat out on the sideline like a PRO? are you serious? do you know what being professional means? you know what? don't take this from me and the other people who supports d'antoni...take it from his TEAMMATES. His TEAMMATES support the coach and not him...that says something about his "professionalism."

MiamiHeat
11-27-2008, 02:18 PM
I'm for Stephon

MrBloop
11-27-2008, 02:20 PM
I think Steph has some serious communication issues. I'm from New York City, and he fits the description of a super gassed up Brooklyn herb who can play ball.

Its always about him and frankly, I don't think he's ever been about the team concept

WeaponXXX
11-27-2008, 02:21 PM
If that's the case then the entire league should be knocking on the Knicks door to deal them.
But clearly there's not a GM in the league that believes that.

We all know there a three reasons why he can't moved and if the top two of these reasons weren't facts, he'd be moved in a heartbeat.

1) His contract is big 21 million dollars? Everyone in the league is at the CAP or over the CAP. If they CAN acquire him, they would all have to pay luxory tax. If they do some how develop a trade, there will be so many players involved as salary fillers(You know, its almost impossible). This limits a lot of options.

2) With the fact that D'antoni called Marbury out saying that he will not be played, This severly diminishes Marbury's value. So basically, i'm pretty sure Knicks did not recieve any fair offers because everyone is low balling. I heard the Heat trade with Marion for Steph rumor.... but we all know the golden rule, you never trade a big for a small.

The only trade that I could think up is if they trade Keith Van Horn(If he wasnt bought out alread) for Marbury... but where is the benefit for that? Knicks aren't just gonna take bodies.

3) His attitude.

GM's, coaches will be calling steph the minute he gets bought out.

FOBolous
11-27-2008, 02:21 PM

yea marbury's laughing now but we'll see who's laughing when he's without a job because no teams want to sign him and the Knicks are playing better without him than they did with him...actually the Knicks are already playing better right now than they did with him before

MrBloop
11-27-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm for Stephon

Trust me kid, you don't want him on the heat.

Iodine
11-27-2008, 02:37 PM
im in support of him seeking therapy

WeaponXXX
11-27-2008, 02:38 PM
in real life...if your boss called you out and you lashed out, you will be fired. That happened to one of my co worker...he didn't like some of the decision the company made and he decided to express his anger directly to the directors and managers. a few days later...he was fired. If Marbury wasn't playing basketball but he's working at a regular company...he would've been without a job a LOOOOOOOOONG time ago.

and he's not lashing out? he's lashing out by not playing.

and he sat out on the sideline like a PRO? are you serious? do you know what being professional means? you know what? don't take this from me and the other people who supports d'antoni...take it from his TEAMMATES. His TEAMMATES support the coach and not him...that says something about his "professionalism."

I'll agree, that he is lashing out by not playing. And yeah, I'll agree that in real life if that happened to me and I lashed out I'll be fired... but the fact of the matter is, If Steph had a job at a company and he lashed(AND KNOWING THE FACT THAT HE HAD XXX Million dollars to fall back on) he'd mess the company over and then quit before they fired him. And this is what you see.
The only reason why he isn't quitting, is because no one in there right minds will throw away his 21 million dollars. I can see him getting fined for not playing... but if thats the case he's gonna asked to be play and just play like crap..............

Steph isn't a doll or a puppet, you can't pull a string and make him do something... This isn't NBA 2k9... He's shown signs of respect by heading to camp and has suprised Mike.... Marbury talent alone commands respect... no respect has been shown to him (From publicly announcing to the world that the Knicks are moving forward with out him and that he will not play a single minute) and he has shown non back....

theuuord
11-27-2008, 02:52 PM
He's not getting paid to play. He was getting paid to sit. The Knicks wanted to buy out of the contract that THEY signed, and Marbury wants every dollar, which is entirely within his rights.

The Knicks had absolutely no problem throwing him to the fire. Then, legally they needed to suit up eight players, and then all of a sudden they want to play him?
Please. They couldn't be more transparent.

The Knicks have completely disrespected Marbury as a player and honestly if I was in his position I wouldn't want to play either.

AKA TheMamba
11-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Be proud of the fact that Q lashed out at Marbury. There should be a fine thrown on him for dressing and refusing to play. I just don't see any team taking a chance on a cancer like this. Talent yes Stupidity YES = Marbury

Giaps
11-27-2008, 03:11 PM
How can you feel bad for a guy making $21 million that can't be a professional? So he was benched, so what? D'Antoni said that the team was going in a new direction (which I am all for) and that he would play if we had injuries.

Well we have a ton of injuries now and his team needs him. He's leaving them out to dry and it's the same old selfish Marbury. Always thinking about himself and not the team.

AKA TheMamba
11-27-2008, 03:14 PM
He's not getting paid to play. He was getting paid to sit. The Knicks wanted to buy out of the contract that THEY signed, and Marbury wants every dollar, which is entirely within his rights.

The Knicks had absolutely no problem throwing him to the fire. Then, legally they needed to suit up eight players, and then all of a sudden they want to play him?
Please. They couldn't be more transparent.

The Knicks have completely disrespected Marbury as a player and honestly if I was in his position I wouldn't want to play either.

No Player in the NBA gets paid to sit. Don't put yourself in the same category as stephon marbury. Its a business you can't have emotional feelings involved and if marbury felt disrespected, then thats just unprofessional. Then why even dress, if he was going to spit in the face of the coach and team mates he was around with the whole game. Making Quentin Richardson (injured) play the rest of the game with a bruised forearm. League officials need to look into the situation and address it accordingly.

theuuord
11-27-2008, 03:17 PM
No Player in the NBA gets paid to sit. Don't put yourself in the same category as stephon marbury. Its a business you can't have emotional feelings involved and if marbury felt disrespected, then thats just unprofessional. Then why even dress, if he was going to spit in the face of the coach and team mates he was around with the whole game. Making Quentin Richardson (injured) play the rest of the game with a bruised forearm. League officials need to look into the situation and address it accordingly.

LOL yes he was. They told him at the beginning of the season that they had no intention of playing him, and wanted to negotiate a buyout of his contract. He refused, as is his right, and they refused to play him. They were paying him not to play.

Of course you can have emotions when it comes to the NBA. We are human beings. It is in our nature to have emotion. Sometimes it may not be the best business practice, but Marbury is certainly allowed to be a human being. How is it unprofessional to feel disrespected when your boss is clearly disrespecting you?

He dressed because the Knicks legally needed him to dress to play the game. That is the only reason. He has not dressed before because the Knicks don't care about him. Only when they absolutely needed a face on the bench was he even considered to be suited up.

jimbobjarree
11-27-2008, 03:22 PM
i find the whole situation hilarious

UofA
11-27-2008, 03:37 PM
They both are to blame

WeaponXXX
11-27-2008, 03:39 PM
LOL yes he was. They told him at the beginning of the season that they had no intention of playing him, and wanted to negotiate a buyout of his contract. He refused, as is his right, and they refused to play him. They were paying him not to play.

Of course you can have emotions when it comes to the NBA. We are human beings. It is in our nature to have emotion. Sometimes it may not be the best business practice, but Marbury is certainly allowed to be a human being. How is it unprofessional to feel disrespected when your boss is clearly disrespecting you?

He dressed because the Knicks legally needed him to dress to play the game. That is the only reason. He has not dressed before because the Knicks don't care about him. Only when they absolutely needed a face on the bench was he even considered to be suited up.

I may of taken my point too far but you hit it on the head.

stevefrancis
11-27-2008, 03:46 PM
you cant throw a player to the gutters and then when you trade your entire team for a bunch of scrubs and expect marbury to play. they said they don't want marbury in the beginning of the season, so he's just doing what they told him. the same with jamal tinsley, i don't see the pacers askin him to play even though its still messed up. whats richardson complaining about hes on a bad team which is going to drop him in a year or 2 anyways so they can get more money. why not just release every player and sign a bunch of d-league scrubs for the league minimal

ink
11-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Marbury has not been mistreated. Let's get that one straight for starters.

theuuord
11-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Marbury has not been mistreated. Let's get that one straight for starters.

Define mistreatment.

He's making millions more than most of us have seen in our lifetimes, so economically, he's fine (if only because the Knicks are legally bound to pay him). But in terms of basketball, and even business-wise otherwise, the Knicks have completely mishandled his situation.

ink
11-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Define mistreatment.

He's making millions more than most of us have seen in our lifetimes, so economically, he's fine (if only because the Knicks are legally bound to pay him). But in terms of basketball, and even business-wise otherwise, the Knicks have completely mishandled his situation.

Weren't you the guy defending Vince Carter too?? How about Steve Francis, Ron Artest, Rafer Alston and Dennis Rodman? I bet they were all "victims" right? ;)

azkarraga
11-27-2008, 04:30 PM
Know what? Steph is an idiot. Just imagine he played and made the match of his life... that'd be a nice smile to have, aint it? they've given him the chance of a lifetime but no, he just rather sit there... being big is not just a matter of size.

theuuord
11-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Weren't you the guy defending Vince Carter too?? How about Steve Francis, Ron Artest, Rafer Alston and Dennis Rodman? I bet they were all "victims" right? ;)

Oh.

So you didn't define mistreatment.

You just tried to (pretty immaturely) assail my character.

Okay.

FOBolous
11-27-2008, 05:13 PM
you cant throw a player to the gutters and then when you trade your entire team for a bunch of scrubs and expect marbury to play. they said they don't want marbury in the beginning of the season, so he's just doing what they told him. the same with jamal tinsley, i don't see the pacers askin him to play even though its still messed up. whats richardson complaining about hes on a bad team which is going to drop him in a year or 2 anyways so they can get more money. why not just release every player and sign a bunch of d-league scrubs for the league minimal

imagine if all the stars in the league decided not to play and sit out because they don't like the direction their team is going.

Hellcrooner
11-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Part One, Dantoni should have never called him out, and he shuld have given him a chance to play , a fresh start, same that he did for Randolph for example, im sure he would have playd ok at least and so given him and his expiring some trade values.

But of course Marbury is acting like a Mofo, if i was in his situation i woudl be Dying to go out on the court and play like a demon to prove Dantoni to be an idiot!!!.

Plus he is payed to play, if eh refuses to do so, Knicks shoudl be allowed to Waive him for free and then as his slayry cap still counts and he is damaging the franchises image, they should take a civil ACTION AGAINST HIM.

thaboss318
11-27-2008, 05:17 PM
i think steph is doing the right thing..this can really go both ways but look at it for what it is...he was unhappy with the previous management..but when the new coach and walsh came in the summer..he caused no distractions..he was ready for a fresh start with the knicks and made it known that he was ready to contribute to the knicks..then u see the team signing point guards in FA..and his role on the team is questioned...then ur told FLAT OUT by the coach that u are not in the team's plans for the future and that he isn't going to "disrespect" him with garbage minutes..but then when some players get traded and u dont have enough players..u come back to him and say there are some minutes out there for him if he wants them?? that makes no sense..so lets say he plays in that game...carries the team to wins..once the other players come in..does he go back to the bench??? u dont tell someone that they have no role on the team..and then expect them to jump up and play for u on ur command..thats poor coaching..if ur boss tells u that ur role in the company is no longer needed..but u have to show up..and sit there for hours..doing nothing at all...wouldnt u want to go to another job where ur skills are appreciated??? wouldnt u have a bad taste in ur mouth for the way u was treated...say what u want to say about the players who talked bad about him in the espn article..but when all of this was unfolding..how many of them said how wrong he was being treated?? u want to complain after he "leaves u out to dry"...but as teammates..didnt u turn ur back on him first..u didnt go to the media to defend him..to lobby for him to play..maybe he feels like u left him out to dry a long time ago..

theuuord
11-27-2008, 05:37 PM
imagine if all the stars in the league decided not to play and sit out because they don't like the direction their team is going.

Imagine if every team in the league told their star players that they had no intention of playing them and wanted to buy them out for a price lower than they agreed on paying in a legal binding contract.

THEN, imagine if said team got itself in such a bind that they legally had to put the player on the team's bench or forfeit a game, after previously making it very clear in public and in private they wanted nothing to do with their star player, and pay him less than they agreed upon.

Imagine that.

THE_FLASH_21
11-27-2008, 07:19 PM

Steph:

D'antoni had his chance. He's an a-s--ole for putting marbury on the spot. If you were being called out by your boss like that you will obviously be pissed and probably lash out. But he didn't, he understood it but with a grudge. WIth all the interviews and media coverage, I haven't seen something said bad from him about the Org and about D'antoni. He sat on the sideline like a PRO. I say GOOD for him.

I'm with u too... Starbury played it right..

THE_FLASH_21
11-27-2008, 07:20 PM
yea marbury's laughing now but we'll see who's laughing when he's without a job because no teams want to sign him and the Knicks are playing better without him than they did with him...actually the Knicks are already playing better right now than they did with him before

Oh sorry but Marbury has the last laugh... Easy!! And he will get work easy!!!

Ansy
11-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Both are at fault.

Marbury isn't going to get any sympathy from anyone. Yes his boss was mean to him and his job sucks right now. There are days when I don't like my job, but I still do it and for much less than $21-freaking-million.

The Knicks put Marbury into way too tough a position. If he was going to get called up for playing time then he should have been practicing with the team, at the very least. Asking a guy who hasn't even practiced all season to jump in and play 30 minutes is unfair.

ink
11-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Oh.

So you didn't define mistreatment.

You just tried to (pretty immaturely) assail my character.

Okay.

What?! :confused: I said nothing about you. If I were you I'd watch the personal remarks when you can't convince someone of your point.

I don't need to define anything for you. The word "mistreatment" is clear. Marbury is no more a victim than any of the other players I listed. They're all responsible for their own actions, and they all screwed up. Playing in the NBA is a privilege, and he wasted that privilege. The Suns were lucky to get rid of him, and now the Knicks are stuck with him -- at least for now.

Kobe<3Gasol
11-27-2008, 08:23 PM
knicks could have made the playoffs... if they kept randolph.. they deserve to lose now...

theuuord
11-27-2008, 08:34 PM
What?! :confused: I said nothing about you. If I were you I'd watch the personal remarks when you can't convince someone of your point.

I don't need to define anything for you. The word "mistreatment" is clear. Marbury is no more a victim than any of the other players I listed. They're all responsible for their own actions, and they all screwed up. Playing in the NBA is a privilege, and he wasted that privilege. The Suns were lucky to get rid of him, and now the Knicks are stuck with him -- at least for now.

Acting as if it's an absurd notion to defend a player's entirely rational actions is very clearly assailing my character. If I were you, I'd watch the personal remarks when you can't convince someone of your point.

And you have yet to make one point as to why you believe Marbury is not a victim. You've said a few bland things regarding it - responsibility, privilege, etc. etc. - but there's no concrete reasoning.

I refer you to any post I've made in this thread as concrete examples of the mismanagement and mistreatment of Marbury and this situation by the Knicks.

ink
11-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Acting as if it's an absurd notion to defend a player's entirely rational actions is very clearly assailing my character.

This is getting ridiculous. Nothing is "assailing your character". Just stop.

theuuord
11-27-2008, 08:51 PM
This is getting ridiculous. Nothing is "assailing your character". Just stop.

And you have yet to make one point as to why you believe Marbury is not a victim. You've said a few bland things regarding it - responsibility, privilege, etc. etc. - but there's no concrete reasoning.

I refer you to any post I've made in this thread as concrete examples of the mismanagement and mistreatment of Marbury and this situation by the Knicks.

ink
11-27-2008, 08:55 PM

I don't consider them persuasive points. Sorry. We'll have to agree to disagree. He signed a contract. There's good reason why he's been traded away from several teams. Buyer beware.

And I don't have to engage with your rhetoric to make my points. I don't have to define anything or disprove anything. Marbury's sad history speaks for itself.

ink
11-27-2008, 08:58 PM
No Player in the NBA gets paid to sit.

That sums it up.

Durant is hype
11-27-2008, 09:00 PM
marbury refused to play cuz knicks refused to play him first. cant believe dantoni would rather give playing time to duhon than marbury.. i can name like 10 starting PGs that sucks more than marbury RIGHT NOW

(not in particular order)
dee brown (was)
earl watson (okl)
alston
conley
chalmers
telfair
DUHON
fisher
ridnour
nelson

Talent wise of course,but Stephon is just to much of a cancer on the court.

theuuord
11-27-2008, 09:13 PM
That sums it up.

Seriously man? You are bringing nothing new to this conversation, so I'll re-hash what I've already said:

They told him at the beginning of the season that they had no intention of playing him, and wanted to negotiate a buyout of his contract. He refused, as is his right, and they refused to play him. They were paying him not to play.

I don't consider them persuasive points. Sorry. We'll have to agree to disagree. He signed a contract. There's good reason why he's been traded away from several teams. Buyer beware.

And I don't have to engage with your rhetoric to make my points. I don't have to define anything or disprove anything. Marbury's sad history speaks for itself.

...So you're not adding anything to the conversation, so... why are you posting?
Honest question.

SAVAGE CLAW
11-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Stephon should already retire, he is not going to fit anywhere else in the Nba with that attitude, and Europe.... I wonder how many minutes he would last in the first training session when coach told him he is a PG and he has to pass, and that the objective is that all the starters score 10-15 points and that the ball has ALWAYS to go to the open man no matter who he is.....

ink
11-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Seriously man? You are bringing nothing new to this conversation, so I'll re-hash what I've already said:

They told him at the beginning of the season that they had no intention of playing him, and wanted to negotiate a buyout of his contract. He refused, as is his right, and they refused to play him. They were paying him not to play.

Fine. He signed a contract. The Knicks are his employer and he should earn his salary when called upon to do so. Period. There are no extenuating circumstances. I'm sure there's no language in his contract that says the contract is conditional on any of the points you've made above. He should honour his contract. The point is that when he plays he's not a team player anyway so he's not much of an asset. On top of that he's a disciplinary nightmare. The Knicks are in a no-win situation with him.

...So you're not adding anything to the conversation, so... why are you posting?
Honest question.

The same reason that everyone is posting in this thread. We all have an opinion. You have no right to decide who is and who isn't adding anything to the conversation.

codes238
11-27-2008, 09:26 PM
marbury's an idiot! still the knicks shouldve just cut him at the start of the year, such a pointless distraction for the team... i honestly dont get why everyones overrating this guy either, he has been a cancer in every situation he's been put in and his teams have always sucked!

ridere46
11-27-2008, 09:29 PM
I hope Steph gets help soon. The guy has tons of talent and tons of money, yet he's in this predicament. His whole career has been about himself. If I was in his position, even though I was benched and told I'm not in the future plans but called on to play, I would play. Nevermind D'Antoni's stupidity. Steph is under contract (he is getting paid to play or sit on the bench). Not only is he breaching his contract, his word, but turning his back on his teamates. Had he any class, sense of team, he would have played despite everything that has happened since. Had he played, D'Antoni would have looked even more stupid. Now, Marbury isolated himself even more. Then again it has always been about himself.

jetsfan89
11-27-2008, 10:38 PM
I applaud D'Antoni. i dont understand you supporters.

This guy thinks of himself and nobody else. He signed a contract that allows the coaches to start or not start him and to be ready when he starts. Disrespect? What did you call saying "i got stuff on Isiah". thats disrespect. D'Antoni is doing the right thing and all knicks fans should agree with him.

MrThrowBack23
11-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Marbury is not to blame in this situation when he heard d antoni would be bringing his fast paced offensive system to NY Marbury worked his butt of to get in proabbly the best shape of his life he wasnt a distraction wats so ever during the offseason he comes in he hes told he is not needed that thye will try to buy him out then he is not allowed to practice with the team and doesnt get to play now the team is in need of an player becasue of injuries and trades and asks does he want to play that thye have 25 to 30 minutes for him MArbury doesnt know the offense he would look like a scrub out there diminishing his value for future teams

dantoni is an ******* he has a personal grudge with marbury. he told marbury that marbury is not in future plans with the knicks well dats obvious this is the present and hes your best player his contract runs out at yrs end he wasnt a distraction during the offseason why do u expect that to change during the season marbury wanted to to past hisotry wit dantoni in the past but dantoni didnt want that and tried to make marbury look like a fool btw marbury could have chose not to dress n the knicks forfeit but he dressed so the fans get to watch that ugly game

innovator
11-28-2008, 01:58 AM
Its the knicks fault. D'antoni refused to play him first so marbury is just letting dantoni get a taste of his own medicine by refusing to play. Marbury haters dont think before they hate they should first look at the reasons why marbury is like this. For gods sake mike d'antoni refused to play him!!!!!!! But now with all the injuries he just decides to play marbury!!!!!?!?!?!?! Thats just ********. D'antoni makes marbury look bad and he is just making marbury a cover up because of the injuries. Marbury is not a dleague player or on reserve list player that you just decide to play when somebody is injured but not play him when everyone is healthy

hdxstunts1
11-28-2008, 02:32 AM
I'm on the fence with it. I see were both sides are coming from.

Stephon is good and plays good but they didnt give him a shot until it was a last resort option i probably would've said screw you to Mike also!

Although he did abandon his team and you never want to do that.

I dont know what exactly to think theres good points on both sides!

Vinny642
11-28-2008, 02:48 AM
Im for Marbury on this one, Isiah sucked and benched him and IDK y but D'Antoni wasn't playing him until like yesterday when he refused to play.

mlisica19
11-28-2008, 03:07 AM
Everyone including Starbury knows the knicks wanna get rid of him but at the right price. Knowing so Starbury will not be made a fool of. Knicks should not rely on Stephon to play any games, They dont want him so why should starbury play for a team that wants him.

Truth though is that, Not playingis hurting his chances of moving. Which is what he should do, leave the area go some place where your needed and wanted. As of now not many cities do want your attitude, maybe a team like memphis can use you.

But Of course im for the knicks. The coach was put in this tragedy of having a talented one man show player that is one of the highest paid players. He doesnt want him, but they cant SIMPLY get rid of him. Hell leave and do his thing else where. But the coach as the coach is doing the right thing, there winning games and playing good bball. STill untalented but their making the rights moves. They shouldnt rely but should hope for starburys help, it wont come but one thing not to be thankful for. and that is Coach isah thomas

talk.sick
11-28-2008, 03:28 AM
The Knicks management is to blame for this. They keep talking about 2010. They should focus on what's happening now. Sure, they're trying to clear cap space for those free agents in 2010. But what's important is to keep this team intact for 2 years. D'Antoni should let Marbury play even for less minutes. He says he wants to develop Duhon as his point guard for the future. But I think its even better to let him play along side Marbury while Marbury is still around. It should help in his development. Getting acclimated to D'Antoni's system won't cut it for him. He still need to play along side a veteran point guard like Marbury while he's learning. D'Antoni's just giving Stephon the All-Star treatment by saying he doesn't want to play Marbury for garbage minutes. The guy already told the media he is willing to play. And the Knicks owner also complains about paying the guy while the coach chooses to bench and ultimately puts him on the inactive list. I believe deep down Stephon is willing to rebuild his reputation and he is just tired of arguing with the media, the Knicks management, and all that has to do with the Knicks. Because they are keeping him on a short leash and not even letting him have the chances to clean up the mess made that is not totally his fault. I'm still a fan of Stephon and I am amazed at how he is able to control his emotions at this point. When I see him on interviews, he looks like he is ready to blow anytime and is ready to strangle anyone who asks him about the Knicks but he controls that emotion no matter how hard it is for him. The Knicks should look more on that rather than listening to the media who are only trying to get the next rumor to spread from the Knicks' never-ending drama series. I don't care what other people says about Stephon but he is a role model to me. He's just the victim of all this.

innovator
11-28-2008, 03:56 AM
i'm on the fence with it. I see were both sides are coming from.

stephon is good and plays good but they didnt give him a shot until it was a last resort option i probably would've said screw you to mike also!

although he did abandon his team and you never want to do that.

I dont know what exactly to think theres good points on both sides!

thats my point why im for marbury

king4day
11-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Imagine if every team in the league told their star players that they had no intention of playing them and wanted to buy them out for a price lower than they agreed on paying in a legal binding contract.

THEN, imagine if said team got itself in such a bind that they legally had to put the player on the team's bench or forfeit a game, after previously making it very clear in public and in private they wanted nothing to do with their star player, and pay him less than they agreed upon.

Imagine that.

Imagine 7 of your friends are gettig their butt kicked by 12 people. You don't jump in to help out because one of those friends was a di*k to you. So your other 6 friends pay for it cuz u can't put ur differences aside for that one person.

king4day
11-28-2008, 11:52 AM

Honest question.

I might be wrong but I don't think they sent him home lke the Pacers did for Tinsley. Marbury is still around the team so it's not like they banished him.
U hang with the guys, then u back them up if they need u.
If he was sent home and then got a call saying, come in, then it might make more sense. But even then, u listen to ur boss. He's being asked to come in and he didn't.

king4day
11-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Stephon Marbury has been suspended for one game by the New York Knicks, who are alleging he refused to play Wednesday night against the Detroit Pistons.

Marbury was docked one game's pay and his salary will be reduced an additional 1/110th, the team said Friday. That works out to $189,460 of his $20.84 million salary for this season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3731403

So with that, he should now NOT play again when he's asked to because he's 'disrespected'. If he does, then clearly he cares more about the money than his teammates.

innovator
11-28-2008, 12:00 PM
why would he care about his teamates? his teamates suck and also doesnt care about marbury. when marbury was refused to be played by the knicks, what did his teamates do to help marbury? NOTHING. so now why would he do something to help his teamates

theuuord
11-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Imagine 7 of your friends are gettig their butt kicked by 12 people. You don't jump in to help out because one of those friends was a di*k to you. So your other 6 friends pay for it cuz u can't put ur differences aside for that one person.

Um, these aren't seven of his friends. They're seven people that play the same sport he does, that happen to get paid by the same guy.

The Knicks don't care about him and, in turn, he doesn't care about the Knicks. Your logic is completely based in fallacy.

theuuord
11-28-2008, 12:46 PM
I might be wrong but I don't think they sent him home lke the Pacers did for Tinsley. Marbury is still around the team so it's not like they banished him.
U hang with the guys, then u back them up if they need u.
If he was sent home and then got a call saying, come in, then it might make more sense. But even then, u listen to ur boss. He's being asked to come in and he didn't.

First of all, they have.
Secondly, they didn't send him home at first, but they made their intention of NOT playing him very clear. Their ONLY reason for suiting him up was so they legally did not have to forfeit the game, which would have been a huge black mark on the franchise.
After doing nothing but disrespecting him, trying to weasel out of the contract they signed, and telling him they didn't want to play him, they all of a sudden need him and he's supposed to jump up in salute and honor of these people?
What a joke.

grkmaster
11-28-2008, 12:52 PM
why would he care about his teamates? his teamates suck and also doesnt care about marbury. when marbury was refused to be played by the knicks, what did his teamates do to help marbury? NOTHING. so now why would he do something to help his teamates

why the hell would teamates care for him after his crap especially last year, threatening isiah when finding out he was going to be coming off the bench and went back to ny leaving his teammates. total bs... he should care about his teammates because its a freaking team game for god's sake. Remember there is no damn I in team. So you suck it up show what you got and help your ****ing cause by showing other teams that want you that you can still play. Now he is just causing more problems with media and chances of someone signing him. Obviously alot of people would have done the same thing, but it just makes his image that must worse, which already was horrible

grkmaster
11-28-2008, 12:53 PM
First of all, they have.
Secondly, they didn't send him home at first, but they made their intention of NOT playing him very clear. Their ONLY reason for suiting him up was so they legally did not have to forfeit the game, which would have been a huge black mark on the franchise.
After doing nothing but disrespecting him, trying to weasel out of the contract they signed, and telling him they didn't want to play him, they all of a sudden need him and he's supposed to jump up in salute and honor of these people?
What a joke.

To be exact, the Knicks were not the idiots to give him his contract, but stupid enough to take it on

theuuord
11-28-2008, 01:01 PM
To be exact, the Knicks were not the idiots to give him his contract, but stupid enough to take it on

Regardless of how they got it, they still agreed to it. They legally are obligated to pay him $21.9 million dollars, and should be structuring their finances around that and all other contracts they legally agreed to. They should not be trying to weasel out it; that's just poor business.

ink
11-28-2008, 01:30 PM
why the hell would teamates care for him after his crap especially last year, threatening isiah when finding out he was going to be coming off the bench and went back to ny leaving his teammates. total bs... he should care about his teammates because its a freaking team game for god's sake. Remember there is no damn I in team. So you suck it up show what you got and help your ****ing cause by showing other teams that want you that you can still play. Now he is just causing more problems with media and chances of someone signing him. Obviously alot of people would have done the same thing, but it just makes his image that must worse, which already was horrible

That's the point that seems to be lost on his supporters in here. Marbury already had a horrible image when he started with NY. All the way back to the TWolves when he didn't want to share the spotlight with KG and demanded a trade. Interesting how KG and Marbury's paths have gone in completely opposite directions since the trade demand out of Minnesota. One became a consummate team player and now owns a ring, and the other remained the worst me-first athlete in the league and is fighting just his latest fight against management and getting nowhere. Here's an article from 2006 (http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=990CE2DD1430F935A15750C0A9609C8B 63) talking about the same old same old from Marbury.

(from the article) "One thing I realize, when you don't have anything to play for, you find out a lot about character,'' (then coach, Larry) Brown said.

None of this is new for him. He started to whine in the second year of his career! I'm not sure what parallel universe exists for Starbury fans but the guy has only cemented his reputation as the worst the NBA has to offer in terms of character. He's selfish on and off the court, and he's been that way long before this particular conflict with management. The problem is he knows he can be the world's biggest jerk and still get his money. Criticizing management that is only dealing with the END result of years of Marbury's crap is completely missing the point.

yanks08
11-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Even though he is:
-a public figure
-binding contract to PLAY
-in a basketball team and should be playing

I fully agree with what Steph is doing right now. I didn't follow the entire story but I may be wrong.... but I think this is D'Antoni's fault. He publicly out right said that he didn't want him to play for the knicks(aka disrespecting him). Knicks now are in need for bodies, and in need of Steph to increase his trade value and can't get it because steph is ticked off.

GO STEPH

THE GUY DID NOT SHOULD HAVE PLAYED FOR HIS TEAMATES!!!!

Dantoni did not play him because he bailed on him ON THE SUNS and had like a million coaches leave because of him!!! tHE BEST point GUARD IN THE LEAGUE???? COULDN'T EVEN WIN GAMES FOR US!!!! bump!!!!

yanks08
11-28-2008, 02:08 PM
im for steph

marbury >>>>> duhon

WOOOOW REALLY???????

talent is not the question, its right and wrong!!!!
so you might also think AI is right for skipping practices become he is more talented than any other guy on the team!!!!!!

Knowledge
11-28-2008, 02:09 PM

umm stars do sit out for various reasons all the time in the nba.

Allen Iverson
Vince Carter
Kobe Bryant- wanted to leave LA before the start of last season.
Shaq in Miami
McGrady wanted out of Orlando

and the list goes on and on. . .

Oh year and Im for Steph on this one. He has done a lot of stupid things that I don't agree with but D'Antonio and the Knicks lied to him. They promised him the opportunity to play- He came in early for training camp- had a good preseason- then they benched him. Don't waiver on and off, make a desicion to pay him, cut him, or trade him.

ink
11-28-2008, 02:15 PM
umm stars do sit out for various reasons all the time in the nba.

Allen Iverson
Vince Carter
Kobe Bryant- wanted to leave LA before the start of last season.
Shaq in Miami
McGrady wanted out of Orlando

and the list goes on and on. . .

Oh year and Im for Steph on this one. He has done a lot of stupid things that I don't agree with but D'Antonio and the Knicks lied to him. They promised him the opportunity to play- He came in early for training camp- had a good preseason- then they benched him. Don't waiver on and off, make a desicion to pay him, cut him, or trade him.

You just posted some of the biggest headcases in the league. Some of them have gone on to redeem themselves (Kobe, and to some degree, Shaq), but most haven't.

HansumJay
11-28-2008, 02:23 PM
I am with Steph the way they treated him is ridiculous and the coach is a weasel. Clean Slate? Bold face liar.

HansumJay
11-28-2008, 02:41 PM
And the whole "teammates" argument......when Lee and Nate where rookies ask them who took them out and bought them suits to wear on the road. Anything the papers tells you is a fact huh? I think a man who donates millions of dollars to families affected by 9/11, makes affordable clothing for the people who can't afford the expensive stuff they are trying to ram down our throats, and pays barbers to give children and adults trying to find work free haircuts is a better man than most. Q should shut the eff up. He's stealing money, the coach he loves so much traded him away too and if you had nothing to say when they sat me; don't say crap when I sit.

I love the way he's supposed to be the pawn. I thought the coach would tell me to play not ask......... Seems funny that he gets offered the chance. Kinda like the coach knows he made some kind of firm assertion that Steph would never play and now he needs Steph to save him from himself.

WeaponXXX
11-28-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm sure Marbury will benefit any team be it start or not.... or pg or sg..... I hope he leaves Knicks soon.... Knicks are a career killing team.

Giantwarrior
11-28-2008, 06:01 PM
He's trash... im for the Knicks. he has great talent , but never made his team any better. what ever happened to being a PROFESSIONAL? he just looks like another pro athlete showing up to collect a pay check.

ink
11-28-2008, 06:12 PM
I'm sure Marbury will benefit any team be it start or not.... or pg or sg..... I hope he leaves Knicks soon.... Knicks are a career killing team.

What team has he helped so far?

MIN, 1996-1999 - 40, 45, 25 W, lost in first round every year, Wolves doubled their win total to 50 W the year after they got rid of him, made it to WC finals 3 years after they dumped him.

NJ, 1999-2001 - 31, 26 W, traded to PHO for JKidd, Nets' win total doubled the next year.

PHO, 2001-2004 - 36, 44, 29 W, one playoff appearance, Suns lose in the first round with Marbury at PG, traded to NYK, Suns pick up Nash at PG and the next season their winning total more than doubles to 62 W and the team makes it to the WCF.

NYK, 2003-2008 - 39, 33, 23,33, 23 W, first round exit in 2003-04, nothing since.

Every time he leaves a team it improves.

Knowledge
11-28-2008, 06:55 PM
You just posted some of the biggest headcases in the league. Some of them have gone on to redeem themselves (Kobe, and to some degree, Shaq), but most haven't.

Headcases?

Jason Kid
Baron Davis: Although he didn't ask for a trade, he did get healthy again once he left Charlotte(New Orleans) for Golden state
Kevin Garnet wanted out of Minnesota and refused to go to Boston at first
their were reports Paul Pierce wanted out of Boston unless FO tried to get him help

and i didnt even mention the guys that are/were headaches like:

Rasheed before Detroit
Ron Artest
Zach Randolph
ect. . .

Point is that players in the nba, for the most part, all leave a situation if they arent happy for one reason or another. The only ones that stay, for the most part, are the ones that get paid and are winning.Doesn't make it right, but it happens. In Marbury's case he tried to play for them by coming in early and putting in the work. They said yes we will allow you to play and then benched him after promising him a chance to compete. I don't feel sorry for the 21mil dollar player, his millionaire teammates, or his billionaire owner, but I do agree with Marbury this time.

ink
11-28-2008, 07:09 PM
^ The only one I'd disagree with is KG. He stuck it out with the Wolves, then he made sure he went to the right team. His and Marbury's careers are polar opposites because KG sucked it up. Marbury ruined every situation he's ever been in and now he's a league pariah. And the clincher is that his teams don't win.

ziglur
11-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Steph must be a hell of a player, to have half the world jealous of him!!

Knowledge
11-28-2008, 09:28 PM
^ The only one I'd disagree with is KG. He stuck it out with the Wolves, then he made sure he went to the right team. His and Marbury's careers are polar opposites because KG sucked it up. Marbury ruined every situation he's ever been in and now he's a league pariah. And the clincher is that his teams don't win.

You're right. Some of those guys can't be compared to Marbury because their better players/people and win, but the point was that every player leaves a team that they are dissatisfied with no matter how much they make or how good a person they are. Believe me, I don't like everything Marbury has done, but this particular incident I can't blame him for. At the end of the day, Marbury may very well be "another spoiled athlete", but don't let these organizations play the victim either. They are just as spoiled and have no problem breaking promises.

ink
11-28-2008, 09:36 PM
You're right. Some of those guys can't be compared to Marbury because their better players/people and win, but the point was that every player leaves a team that they are dissatisfied with no matter how much they make or how good a person they are. Believe me, I don't like everything Marbury has done, but this particular incident I can't blame him for. At the end of the day, Marbury may very well be "another spoiled athlete", but don't let these organizations play the victim either. They are just as spoiled and have no problem breaking promises.

You can see how the Knicks had no options right? I mean, they're stuck with a guy who's not a winner. He's got a massive contract and he doesn't earn it even when he's playing because he can't help his team win. All he can do is pile on the stats. He's pretty much uncoachable. I don't blame the Knicks for a second for wanting nothing to do with a player after the crap he pulled last season, and virtually every season he's been in the league. Did you see the stats I posted about how teams consistently doubled their win totals in the year after they were able to get rid of him? Measuring the Knicks when they're in an impossible situation with a notoriously impossible player isn't fair. No team would be able to deal with this mess. And in the end, this has to be conducted like a business. Nobody deserves crap employees like this. If any of us was as much of a **** up as Marbury we'd be gone long ago.

Missing56&33
11-28-2008, 09:55 PM
Im for neither. Its a lose- lose situation. I place the initial blame on the knicks but steph not playing doesn't make him right. It was just a bad situation from the start and he should have been released before training camp. We still need a SG

Knowledge
11-28-2008, 09:58 PM
You can see how the Knicks had no options right? I mean, they're stuck with a guy who's not a winner. He's got a massive contract and he doesn't earn it even when he's playing because he can't help his team win. All he can do is pile on the stats. He's pretty much uncoachable. I don't blame the Knicks for a second for wanting nothing to do with a player after the crap he pulled last season, and virtually every season he's been in the league. Did you see the stats I posted about how teams consistently doubled their win totals in the year after they were able to get rid of him? Measuring the Knicks when they're in an impossible situation with a notoriously impossible player isn't fair. No team would be able to deal with this mess. And in the end, this has to be conducted like a business. Nobody deserves crap employees like this. If any of us was as much of a **** up as Marbury we'd be gone long ago.

If any business put a product out like the Knick's team the past few years, they would be bankrupt. Better yet, I bet we have all gone to a place with bad customer service and wondered, " Why is this guy even allowed to work here?", yet that guy is there everyday at {insert time/place} still working.

Look is Marbury a selfish player? Yes. But that doesn't change the fact the teams decide to take that chance when they acquire him. They could've not traded for him, the teams before him didn't have to acquire him. They made that choice. If any team decides to take a risk like Marbury that is their burden and if they decide to exile one of their players they shouldn't be surprised when the player isn'y loyal to them.

Knowledge
11-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Im for neither. Its a lose- lose situation. I place the initial blame on the knicks but steph not playing doesn't make him right. It was just a bad situation from the start and he should have been released before training camp. We still need a SG

Very true

ink
11-28-2008, 10:07 PM
If any business put a product out like the Knick's team the past few years, they would be bankrupt. Better yet, I bet we have all gone to a place with bad customer service and wondered, " Why is this guy even allowed to work here?", yet that guy is there everyday at {insert time/place} still working.

Look is Marbury a selfish player? Yes. But that doesn't change the fact the teams decide to take that chance when they acquire him. They could've not traded for him, the teams before him didn't have to acquire him. They made that choice. If any team decides to take a risk like Marbury that is their burden and if they decide to exile one of their players they shouldn't be surprised when the player isn'y loyal to them.

But in fairness you have to acknowledge that it was not this management team that acquired Marbury. They inherited a fiasco. Marbury was central to that fiasco. Donnie Walsh was not. I have no sympathy for anything remotely attached to that previous Knicks administration. I have all the sympathy in the world for the team that's trying to dump the toxic waste they were stuck with -- and that goes well beyond Starbury. They have a completely unenviable task and deserve the benefit of the doubt until they've cleaned up the organization. There's no way to do it perfectly. It's kinda like succeeding George W. Bush. Not a task you'd wish on anyone. ;)

Knowledge
11-28-2008, 10:20 PM
But in fairness you have to acknowledge that it was not this management team that acquired Marbury. They inherited a fiasco. Marbury was central to that fiasco. Donnie Walsh was not. I have no sympathy for anything remotely attached to that previous Knicks administration. I have all the sympathy in the world for the team that's trying to dump the toxic waste they were stuck with -- and that goes well beyond Starbury. They have a completely unenviable task and deserve the benefit of the doubt until they've cleaned up the organization. There's no way to do it perfectly. It's kinda like succeeding George W. Bush. Not a task you'd wish on anyone. ;)

George W. Bush makes Isiah Thomas look like creditable. :pity:

Its not Walsh fault and I understand the team is trying to move, but they should pay him and let him go instead of holding on to him for no reason. They won't let him compete, though they said they would, and they wont let him go. They need to make up their mind. I won't want Marbury on my team and I won't defend how he acts. Marbury put himself in this situation, but I look at it as similar situation to Chris Webber, minus the drama. The Sixers owed C-Web 20+mil and couldn't trade him, so they cut him and paid him. They took the 20+mil hit and had to deal with it. Knicks should do the same and move on.

ink
11-28-2008, 10:27 PM
George W. Bush makes Isiah Thomas look like creditable. :pity:

Its not Walsh fault and I understand the team is trying to move, but they should pay him and let him go instead of holding on to him for no reason. They won't let him compete, though they said they would, and they wont let him go. They need to make up their mind. I won't want Marbury on my team and I won't defend how he acts. Marbury put himself in this situation, but I look at it as similar situation to Chris Webber, minus the drama. The Sixers owed C-Web 20+mil and couldn't trade him, so they cut him and paid him. They took the 20+mil hit and had to deal with it. Knicks should do the same and move on.

I think the drama figures big in all this. CWebb was never such a disruptive force and never pulled a number like Marbury did last year. They just don't want to reward the Starbury bull ****.

Fribbles
11-28-2008, 10:32 PM
marbury signed a contract to play basketball. If he fails to honor that by playing. the Knicks should look for a way to void his contract.

why would any team want to sign/trade for a player who refuses to play? he just cut off his nose to spite his face. marbury is now known as the guy who refused to play. he will never play in the nba again.

disrespect him? at 20 million dollars you can disrespect me all you want. grow up with all this nonsense.

marbury is a very silly man. he needs to put his ego in check. he is set for life with the money he is getting but he will never play again.

First off, we don't know everything that has been said or done on the Knicks or Marbury's part, so to side with anyone without hearing EVERYTHING is being ignorant IMO. Im sure the media and both parties haven't told us all. But if your going to pay me 20 million dollars, one it proves to me that u need me, two it proves (seeing as he has been in the NBA for a few years now) that im worth it. So if ur gonna pay me that much and not play me, yes I would tell u to F off that one time u want me to play, and ur degrading me but making me keep a players seat warm that I could school anyday of the week.

ink
11-28-2008, 10:35 PM
First off, we don't know everything that has been said or done on the Knicks or Marbury's part, so to side with anyone without hearing EVERYTHING is being ignorant IMO. Im sure the media and both parties haven't told us all. But if your going to pay me 20 million dollars, one it proves to me that u need me, two it proves (seeing as he has been in the NBA for a few years now) that im worth it. So if ur gonna pay me that much and not play me, yes I would tell u to F off that one time u want me to play, and ur degrading me but making me keep a players seat warm that I could school anyday of the week.

This is the NBA. Solo acts don't win. That's exactly the point that Marbury will never get.

Knowledge
11-28-2008, 10:38 PM
I think the drama figures big in all this. CWebb was never such a disruptive force and never pulled a number like Marbury did last year. They just don't want to reward the Starbury bull ****.

Your probably right. I don't know what all Marbury has done since I am a outsider to the New York sports scene, but what do you want them/him to do?

Do want him to play? Do want them to pay him and let him go? Or did you just him to play for that one night? I mean, I think we both agree he shouldn't be apart of their team and neither of us think he helps a team win(at least with him as a key piece without other leadership). I am just not sure what your argument is regarding Marbury.

ink
11-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Your probably right. I don't know what all Marbury has done since I am a outsider to the New York sports scene, but what do you want them/him to do?

Do want him to play? Do want them to pay him and let him go? Or did you just him to play for that one night? I mean, I think we both agree he shouldn't be apart of their team and neither of us think he helps a team win(at least with him as a key piece without other leadership). I am just not sure what your argument is regarding Marbury.

Let him rot, basically. Pay him and do what they want with him. I have no pity for a jerk like that. He represents the worst of the NBA and that type of player gives the league a bad name. It plays into every cliche there is about the league and the sport. Some players learn to be better team players, some don't. I wrote this in a PM to another poster:

Kobe learned the hard way, but even he parked his ego in order to win with his teammates. It separated him from the jerks of the league. He did it the hard way and he's won a lot of fans over because of it. This is always going to be an issue in the NBA because so many fans buy into the cult of the personality. It's one of the rare sports where individual players can make a large enough impact in the game that they forget they're playing a team sport. Some of them get lost in that thinking and pay the price by pissing away their careers. Marbury is the poster boy for pissed away careers, and he has nobody else to blame but himself.

Knowledge
11-29-2008, 01:10 AM
^If they want him to rot, i can agree with that. My thing is for them to make up their mind and stick to whatever they decide to do. Don't waiver back and forth because it helps nobody move on, including their own team.

WeaponXXX
12-01-2008, 01:42 PM
common buyout! Play for Toronto!

Hellcrooner
12-01-2008, 01:47 PM
If i went and said to my boss, im not working today! they would just fire me, and since its MY FAULT and im GUILTY of not wanting to do the thing they are paying me for they would fire me for FREE.

League should allow to void contracts when the player refuses to play.

Hawkeye15
12-01-2008, 02:02 PM
The Knicks took him on their team. Everyone knew Marbury was out for himself. It is both their faults. That being said, Walsh makes a ton of money. Why was he not gone this summer? He should never even have been to training camp day 1.