PDA

View Full Version : Valverde/Wigginton to Indians Rumor?

native_astro
11-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Did anyone hear the the rumor on 790 the Sports Animal yesterday about Valverde/Wigginton to the Indians for Andy Marte and two prospects? They were talking about how these prospects would be packaged with Hunter Pence to the Padres for Jake Peavy.

Did anyone else hear this? I think it was just another trade idea from one of the on air guys rather than an actual rumor.

Depending on the prospects that we got back from the Indians, I would do that in a heart beat if they were Aaron Laffey and Adam Miller. I wouldn't mind if the Astros held onto these two guys rather than flip them.

Rumors....I hate them! They drive me nuts and very rarely have any truth to them especially the ones from a radio show. Unless this was reported by Taggs.

mark1125
11-26-2008, 07:03 PM
I haven't heard anything about it. If it did happen the way layed out, it would be a good deal for ths Astros. Not sure who would be included as prospects. I would think Miller would be one. I think all have given up un Marte in Cleveland.

UnWantedTheory
11-26-2008, 07:17 PM
ugh...

richardle9
11-26-2008, 08:23 PM
i really dont want to trade pence though

lilboytwister99
11-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Well I havent heard this yet, although I listen to 790 the Sports Animal everyday. I havent listened to 790 lately due to being busy at work. Hell I wouldnt mind this trade if it landed us Peavy. I think this is the only way we can get Peavy, depending on who we get in return for Valverde and Wigginton.

But then we'd have a hole in RF and closer. Im sure RF shouldnt be hard to figure out, but closer?

We'll see what happens. I still think the Astros might end up getting Peavy since everybody else has withdrawn from the Peavy sweepstakes.

astrosmaniac
11-28-2008, 12:32 AM
i would be fine with this even if we werent flipping them for peavy

rhino17
11-28-2008, 01:10 AM
i would be fine with this even if we werent flipping them for peavy

how?

astro4life
11-28-2008, 01:30 PM
Trade Valverde and Wigginton (edit)for Marte, Miller, and Laffey. I would love to keep Laffey but I would think it would have to be Pence, Miller, Marte, and Laffey to get Peavy.

As for holes in RF and closer. Put Bogusevic in RF. However, the closer issue is why I dont see this happening. That and Pence's status as a "fan favorite". The two best free agent closer options are probably Kerry Wood (but he is a Type A) and Kyle Farnsworth.

Hermie13
11-28-2008, 01:48 PM
no way do the Padres want Marte. They already have too many 3Bs and are trying to trade one, they aren't gonna want another. They have Headley and Kouzmanoff.

As for your hole in RF, the Tribe could throw in Ben Francisco. Not an ideal guy but could handle it well til someone else is ready to step up.

astrosmaniac
11-28-2008, 02:10 PM
how?

because we get prospects to help rebuild our system

Blackcar09
12-02-2008, 01:56 AM
We need to trade Wigginton while hes hot... hes been average to say the least until the last part of this season.

We've gotta bunch of guys on the bench to fill the spot.

TheRedMarauder
12-02-2008, 11:03 AM
I wouldn't mid these trade at all. Valverde is overrated, as most closers are, and if we can get somerthing good for him then it's a good deal.

Jermster
12-02-2008, 12:57 PM
I wouldn't mid these trade at all. Valverde is overrated, as most closers are, and if we can get somerthing good for him then it's a good deal.

The Free agent market is full with closers and it would be best if the Astros waited until the July deadline to trade him.

Hermie13
12-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Trade Valverde for Marte, Miller, and Laffey.

yeah.....never happening. That's WAY too much just for Valverde.

ABTY7
12-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Trade Valverde for Marte, Miller, and Laffey. I would love to keep Laffey but I would think it would have to be Pence, Miller, Marte, and Laffey to get Peavy.

As for holes in RF and closer. Put Bogusevic in RF. However, the closer issue is why I dont see this happening. That and Pence's status as a "fan favorite". The two best free agent closer options are probably Kerry Wood (but he is a Type A) and Kyle Farnsworth.

LOL... that is an absolutely crazy offer that the Indians would laugh out loud over. In any market that deal is nuts, however even moreso when the Indians could just sign any number of FA closers and not deal their top specs...

astrotown
12-03-2008, 12:59 AM
I would trade Valverde/Wigginton for Marte and two other indians prospects in a heartbeat. I really wouldnt want Adam Miller though and its very doubtful one of the prospects would be Laffey, more than likely probably Sowers.

Hermie13
12-03-2008, 01:53 PM
I would trade Valverde/Wigginton for Marte and two other indians prospects in a heartbeat. I really wouldnt want Adam Miller though and its very doubtful one of the prospects would be Laffey, more than likely probably Sowers.

Who would you want then? I think giving up Miller is too much for the Indians but that's me. He was ranked the 4th best prospect in our system by BA and just ranked the 41st best prospect in all of baseball by MiLB.com.

And I'm sure the indians would give up Sowers over Laffey.....but don't think the Astros would bite on that. sowers has really struggled the last 2 years.

native_astro
12-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Who would you want then? I think giving up Miller is too much for the Indians but that's me. He was ranked the 4th best prospect in our system by BA and just ranked the 41st best prospect in all of baseball by MiLB.com.

And I'm sure the indians would give up Sowers over Laffey.....but don't think the Astros would bite on that. sowers has really struggled the last 2 years.

Sowers and Marte isn't going to get the Astros attention. Miller is a guy that has high potential but has alot of problems staying healthy. Who knows what the Astros are looking for if this deal takes place.

Knowing the Astros they would probably swing for the fences and ask for Carlos Santana(C) or Matt La Porta. Then when the Indians reject their bogus request(and they will) the Astros will counter by asking for Adam Miller, Aaron Laffey, and player tbd or cash.

I doubt that Valverde gets traded with all the closer options on the market. If anyone gets traded to the Indians it will probably be Ty Wigginton, but the Indians are going to be looking for a veteran closer at the winter meetings. Unless the Indians or any or team blow the Astros away with an offer I doubt he gets traded.

RelaxedFan
12-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Not an Indians idea but I keep reading about a deal of Dye and Jenks to the Mets for F. Martinez.

I've read mixed reports on the skill level of Martinez but he is currently an OF who is projected to be a 1B farther down the line.

Granted Ty Wiggington is not Dye but Valverde and Jenks are a wash.

If teams could work something out, would you rather work something out with the Mets or Cleveland?

Lastly, how would everyone feel if the 'Stros traded away both Ty and Valverde and DIDN'T flip the prospects for Peavy?

Hermie13
12-04-2008, 01:24 PM
I don' think Valverde and Jenks are a wash. I'd take Jenks over him even if his K rate has dropped.

Not soure what would be better for you guys....but the Tribe has the better farm system than the Mets.....

nygiants242
12-04-2008, 01:28 PM
I doubt this happens.. its just a rumor

Wizard of O's
12-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Lastly, how would everyone feel if the 'Stros traded away both Ty and Valverde and DIDN'T flip the prospects for Peavy?

If they were great prospects that could help our team now or in a few years then it would be a great trade.

If we can free up alot of money, build a farm system and win then we're in great shape to sign Peavy in 3 years when he's a free agent.

I think that is what McClain and Wade have in mind and are building for a big final run at the end of Oswalt, Berkman and Lee's contracts.

I think Saccomono needs to be a starter this year and experiment with Paulino and Chia-Jen as closer.

astro4life
12-04-2008, 06:17 PM
yeah.....never happening. That's WAY too much just for Valverde.

My bad. I meant to add Wigginton to that deal.