PDA

View Full Version : Do a couple of mins of rest a game really make a difference?

lynchgagne
11-26-2008, 11:21 AM
i still dont get this when people say players will be fresher at the end of the season cuz they(kobe for example avg 32min a game down from 39 last year) play 7 plus mins less then usual.. i just dont get that rational.. when they practice all day and play the game later on at night they travel around the country for 6 months how is 7 mins a night or a total of 500 plus mins season or 9 hours total of extra rest for the seaon.. whats that actually gonna dofor a player to make him fresher?

just a thought i had discuss

DrDEADalready
11-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Yes it does for the fact that the brain is a powerful thing. if you think your going to be fresher and play better by getting rest during the season. then you will play like you are.

Gibby23
11-26-2008, 11:30 AM
i still dont get this when people say players will be fresher at the end of the season cuz they(kobe for example avg 32min a game down from 39 last year) play 7 plus mins less then usual.. i just dont get that rational.. when they practice all day and play the game later on at night they travel around the country for 6 months how is 7 mins a night or a total of 500 plus mins season or 9 hours total of extra rest for the seaon.. whats that actually gonna dofor a player to make him fresher?

just a thought i had discuss
They don't pracice on game day's, they do a shoot around. Kobe doesn't practice that much during the season. Phil rests Key players and they usually practice for half the time or don't practice at all and get treatment.

Gibby23
11-26-2008, 11:35 AM
If you do the math on Kobe this year, if he averages 32 min a game for the whole season compared to 39 from last season he would play 574 less minutes in 82 games and that equals 12 (11.9) full 48 min games that he is resting.

lynchgagne
11-26-2008, 11:41 AM
i still dont get it maybe its different in basketball but when i played baseball and or football i was equally tired during weeks we had games and weeks we didnt or days we didnt have games i was still equally tired even though i got rest during the season at seasons end i was still the same no fresher i was still equally tired from all the practice during the week and season

JordansBulls
11-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Yes. Someone once did a study showing that NBA players start to deteriote at 30,000 minutes in their career. Kobe is at that threshold now and you can already see in him that he is not as quick and is a lot slower than he used to be. I do think that playing a lot of minutes early on doesn't matter, but come March playing less minutes helps for the playoffs.

Gibby23
11-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Yes. Someone once did a study showing that NBA players start to deteriote at 30,000 minutes in their career. Kobe is at that threshold now and you can already see in him that he is not as quick and is a lot slower than he used to be. I do think that playing a lot of minutes early on doesn't matter, but come March playing less minutes helps for the playoffs.

Really I didn't notice. He is just scoring less because he doesn't really need to score, but he can still score 30 plus a game if he needed to. Do you have an example of a game where you noticed this?

lynchgagne
11-26-2008, 11:48 AM
can this not turn into a kobe thread i just used him as a example...thx

Kiss Ma Grits
11-26-2008, 11:58 AM
Rest is the reason why Lebron has cleveland off to a superb start. I think it's also why Cleveland will be a tough oust in the playoffs. I pity those who have to face a well rested Lebron.

lynchgagne
11-26-2008, 12:04 PM
if this reasoning is true.. then why not cut out some extra mins during practice instead of games?

Gibby23
11-26-2008, 12:10 PM
if this reasoning is true.. then why not cut out some extra mins during practice instead of games?

I don't think teams go hard in practice during the season unless they have like 3 days off. They usuall put in a game plan for the team they are playing and work on things they need to get better at. I know on the Lakers it is usually only the bench players and Bynum and Vlad that take part in scrimmages.

style-206
11-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Next time you are dead tired, run lines at full-speed for an extra seven minutes and tell me how you feel in the morning. Do it again three times a week for the next six months and tell me if you have troubles getting out of bed in the morning come June.

For a 23 year old, it's not that big of a deal. But as you get closer to 30 and beyond, seven minutes a night, chilling on the bench, with your knees iced up while the bench finishes off your opponent is champagne and caviar.

DreamShaker
11-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Never played in the NBA dunno...

king4day
11-26-2008, 12:19 PM
When u pushing urself as hard as u can to perform, adding another 7-10 minutes make u wear out more. Could lead to injury, tightness, fouls and bad shots. Body can only take so much and certain players at certain ages can only handle so much.

Shaq is a prime example. When he's playing 3 games in 4 nights or something to that extent, during the latter games, he's not able to keep up as much and fouls when he's beat. When he gets to rest more, he plays with more energy.