PDA

View Full Version : Acting is Part of Game

LA_cabals
11-24-2008, 08:46 PM
“Anytime anybody goes to a hoop, they yell or scream,” said Bernie Fryer, who has seen it all, and now heard it all, as a former N.B.A. player and referee who now oversees league officiating. “You hear it all the time. It’s kind of like a tennis player who grunts every time he hits the ball.”

Players will sometimes cry out when they are taking jump shots far from the basket, but the sound effects are more prevalent when they drive to the rim. Many of the game’s biggest stars — including LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade — shout as they near the basket, even if the little bit of physical contact they draw from an opponent hardly merits such a response.

“I guess once word got out that more often than not, you make a noise going to the basket, you’ll get a foul call, it just became second nature for a lot of guys,” said the Knicks’ Malik Rose, a veteran forward in his 13th year, who cited Bryant, Vince Carter and Allen Iverson as trendsetters.

“I think a lot of times guys are just trying to draw a little bit more of an awareness to the contact,” Houston said. “But the bottom line is, if you’re going to get hit, most of the time, it’s going to get called. The referees are human, but they’re good. They’re going to see if you get hit. I don’t think that yell is going to make that much of a difference.”

Fryer said he agreed.

“You pay no attention to it,” Fryer said, speaking on behalf of his referees. “So many players are doing it now.”

“It’s almost like a flop,” he added, in reference to an old tactic in which players fall flat on their backs in a bid to get a foul called on the player they were guarding. “The officials have gotten so used to it that it has no effect on what they’re going to call.”

But plenty of players seem to believe that the screams work. For them, it is an N.B.A. axiom: yelling is the result of contact, and contact results in a foul call.

READ MORE: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/sports/basketball/19shout.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/sports/basketball/19shout.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print)

Thoughts?

LA_cabals
11-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Personally I don't like it when they yell and scream EVERY time they drive to the basket. You just lose creditibility with the refs when you really are fouled.

Sport
11-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Basketball has really gotten too girly.

MoBASS
11-24-2008, 09:50 PM
Kobe and Iverson are definitely the guiltiest parties in the NBA when it comes to yelling and screaming when they're in the lane.

I think both of them need to shut up and play ball.

p.s. seventy-two!

Frrrrank!!!
11-25-2008, 12:36 AM
I cant really put any player down for doing this because they all do it. I would do it too. I dont know if it is just me but the refs do seem to fall for it a lot of the time. But since everyone does it, it equals out.

Mallpha
11-25-2008, 02:58 AM
You cant blame players they do what ever works for them if refs were ignoring that it simply wouldnt happend and now we got refs complaining about players abusing what they allowed in the first pleace.

As soon as it started ref should had send a clear message that it wont force a foul, they didnt so they are the ones to blame.

Hellcrooner
11-25-2008, 04:23 AM
Yeah acting can even get you a title.

Pierce deserves an oscar

stawka
11-25-2008, 05:14 AM
Pierce, Carter, Kobe and Iverson are THE WORST when it comes to this - more so Carter and Pierce for some reason

Tblaze
11-25-2008, 10:17 AM
I think it might work on the short term, but in the long term you'll get a reputation and when word goes around the league it might work against you. Same with Kobe (there's alot more who do that but this is the first one that comes to mind) yelling at the referee after every call they get against them. At first the ref might react, but if you keep questioning every call (even the correct ones) refs will get fed up with it and might not react to it at all anymore.

But the stars are protected, so they're less vulnerable.

DJ CHACH
11-25-2008, 11:01 AM
WINCE FARTER, jefferson, DEVIN HARRIS, Pierce, Kobe, TMAC, ai...how did everyone forgget devin harris? he averges 15 ft a game, and he a f.kin point guard...i hate the nets..i have a theory, if they shoot a combined ft's that under 30 attempts, they lose..look at their season, except for one game, which jermaine was injured for and could block that lob to vc...someone just look at thier ft stats when they win or lose..iv been saying it for years..the wimpiness of thier coach tries to make them foul out every player on the other team so that they cant play...