PDA

View Full Version : Jabar Gaffney

Wilson
11-24-2008, 06:47 PM
What are your thoughts/feelings on this guy?

I remember watching the Patriots the season before you got Moss, Welker and Stallworth and thinking (like quite a few people) that Gaffney was turning into a very good receiver. He didn't get on the field so much last season because there was too much talent there, but has had some opportunities this season. He had a bad drop against Indy though, and then another one when he was wide open in the 1st quarter against Miami yesterday.

You guys will have seen much more of him than me, so would you say that he could still become a really good receiver? Have drops been a big problem, or have I just seen him at the wrong times?

kazzy4080
11-24-2008, 06:51 PM
i like jabar gaffney, yeah he was developing nicely before moss and company came. however his drops are starting to annoy me cause they usually come in big situations but hes a really good receiver to have as ur number 3/4

The Intimidator
11-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Nothing wrong with Gaff, IMO. He is an extremely solid 3rd receiver, and drops have really not been an issue with him. He has 4, maybe 5 at the most this season. I'm very confident in his ability to make big plays, and Cassel is developing some chemistry with him as well.

CheeseOnMyHead
11-24-2008, 09:45 PM
I think he'd see a lot less snaps if he were on another team, but he's been successful with the Pats because of their ability to judge talent and it's a good system for him.

He drops some passes, but most of his drops seem to be from pretty inaccurate throws. Good quickness on short routes and he seems to make good decisions as to getting open.

bosox1899
11-24-2008, 10:32 PM
I think he'd see a lot less snaps if he were on another team, but he's been successful with the Pats because of their ability to judge talent and it's a good system for him.

He drops some passes, but most of his drops seem to be from pretty inaccurate throws. Good quickness on short routes and he seems to make good decisions as to getting open.

i wouldn't say they are inaccurate, the one in indy was right in his hands a perfect pass, then miami was right to his chest, I'm not sure about his other drops but the ones ive seen were pretty accurate

CheeseOnMyHead
11-24-2008, 10:55 PM
i wouldn't say they are inaccurate, the one in indy was right in his hands a perfect pass, then miami was right to his chest, I'm not sure about his other drops but the ones ive seen were pretty accurate

Those were pretty accurate, but for most passes in his direction, it seems like people often blame him for letting passes out of his hands that he has to dive for.

BRADY4MVP
11-25-2008, 10:10 AM
however his drops are starting to annoy me cause they usually come in big situations but hes a really good receiver to have as ur number 3/4

100% agree

He drops some passes, but most of his drops seem to be from pretty inaccurate throws. INDY??? the balls are hitting him in the hands (that's what she said!)

Nothing wrong with Gaff, IMO. He is an extremely solid 3rd receiver, and drops have really not been an issue with him.
really?? Indy would have been a win, and he easily could have ran after the catch for a TD in miami, which could have given us the early momentum...instead, it the score does not prove how tight that game really was....

I know it is easy to sit here and nit-pick a guy, but some of these drops are
RIDICULOUS

bagwell368
11-25-2008, 10:22 AM
He's OK. 10 years from now you'll have trouble remembering his name, and he won't get his number retired. JAG - just another guy

kbjohnson26
11-25-2008, 11:52 AM
We are sitting here knit-picking on a #3 WR. C'mon now, how many other #3's have been as solid as he has.

The Intimidator
11-25-2008, 12:24 PM
really?? Indy would have been a win, and he easily could have ran after the catch for a TD in miami, which could have given us the early momentum...instead, it the score does not prove how tight that game really was....

The Indy game also could have been a win if David Thomas hadn't gotten that dumb **** penalty, so that argument really doesn't hold. Gaff's drop in that game was one of about 100 plays that do a small part in determining the outcome of a game. As for his drop against Miami, it's not like we didn't score on that drive anyway, so does it really matter?

BRADY4MVP
11-25-2008, 12:58 PM
The Indy game also could have been a win if David Thomas hadn't gotten that dumb **** penalty, so that argument really doesn't hold. Gaff's drop in that game was one of about 100 plays that do a small part in determining the outcome of a game. As for his drop against Miami, it's not like we didn't score on that drive anyway, so does it really matter?

a small part? automatic 7 isnt that "small" to me....like I said, it is all nit-picking, but these drops all seem to be happening on crucial, big plays, which is NOT a good habit

The Intimidator
11-26-2008, 11:20 AM
a small part? automatic 7 isnt that "small" to me....like I said, it is all nit-picking, but these drops all seem to be happening on crucial, big plays, which is NOT a good habit

The Miami drop was not that big of a play, seeing that the Pats moved down the field and scored anyway. So, in reality, he's only had one drop in a big situation, and that was against Indy. But like I said, there were plenty of other factors that determine a game, and Gaff's drop is NOT the reason that we lost that game.

ERLynx
11-26-2008, 12:59 PM
am i the only one who remembers a spectacular game winning catch against Baltimore last season?

CheeseOnMyHead
11-26-2008, 01:09 PM
INDY??? the balls are hitting him in the hands (that's what she said!)

He's had a couple major drops that he should have caught, but it just seems to me that when a pass goes off his fingertips, people automatically blame it on him while with Moss, the blame always falls on Cassel.

Wilson
11-26-2008, 01:23 PM
am i the only one who remembers a spectacular game winning catch against Baltimore last season?

He had a real nice catch against Indy in that AFC Championship game as well, along the back of the endzone. That's the thing though, he was making these great catches a few years ago, but has had some drops this season. I just wanted to get a better idea about him from the Pats' fans. So far, it seems there are mixed feelings about him.

The Intimidator
11-26-2008, 02:44 PM
He had a real nice catch against Indy in that AFC Championship game as well, along the back of the endzone. That's the thing though, he was making these great catches a few years ago, but has had some drops this season. I just wanted to get a better idea about him from the Pats' fans. So far, it seems there are mixed feelings about him.

The people with mixed feelings are only able to pinpoint one major drop though, which is the one against Indy. The drop against Miami last Sunday wasn't that big at all, because like I said, the Pats ended up scoring on that drive anyway.

kazzy4080
11-26-2008, 03:34 PM
The people with mixed feelings are only able to pinpoint one major drop though, which is the one against Indy. The drop against Miami last Sunday wasn't that big at all, because like I said, the Pats ended up scoring on that drive anyway.

its still a big drop, just cause the pats overcame it doesnt mean it wasnt a big situation.

The Intimidator
11-27-2008, 12:13 PM
its still a big drop, just cause the pats overcame it doesnt mean it wasnt a big situation.

If it was late in the fourth quarter, then maybe I would consider it a big situation. But it was very early in the second half, which means that because the Pats picked up a first down a few plays later, it wasn't that big of a drop at all.

BRADY4MVP
12-02-2008, 04:57 PM
If it was late in the fourth quarter, then maybe I would consider it a big situation. But it was very early in the second half, which means that because the Pats picked up a first down a few plays later, it wasn't that big of a drop at all.

another week, another drop for gaffney :pity:

The Intimidator
12-02-2008, 05:34 PM
another week, another drop for gaffney :pity:

To be fair, nobody could hold onto the ball in that game, Cassel and Slater included.

Wilson
12-02-2008, 05:58 PM
To be fair, nobody could hold onto the ball in that game, Cassel and Slater included.

Moss dropped a few easy ones too, and Holmes had a bad one for us. I don't think they were to do with the rain, since they were right on the players' chests. It was just a weird game for drops.

BRADY4MVP
12-03-2008, 11:38 AM

Hines Ward did a decent job at holding onto the ball........ and MOSS,...ugh.........killing my fantasy team........honestly, what the HELL WAS THAT

Red_Sox_89
12-03-2008, 02:38 PM
I love Gaffney. I pick him up in fantasy leagues... I only started him once this year, because the rest of my receivers were on bye weeks, and he did great that week. He doesn't have back to back explosive weeks, but he is a big play maker, and one of the best #3 receivers in football.