PDA

View Full Version : Blues trade Stempniak to Leafs

redbird89
11-24-2008, 04:29 PM
The Blues traded winger Lee Stempniak to the Toronto Maple Leafs today for defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo and center Alex Steen.

Steen, 24, has two goals and two assists in 20 games this season. He scored 15, 15 and 18 goals the past three seasons. Steen is signed through the 2009-10 season.

The trade "came out of the blue," Steen told reporters in Toronto. "It's tough because this organization has been very good to me. But at the same time it is exciting. Chapter 2 has started and I hope I have a better second, third and fourth quarter than the first."

Colaiacovo, 25, had one assist and a minus-2 rating in 10 games. He played 48 games in 2006-07, but only 28 last season when he was hampered by a groin injury.

"My first reaction was that I was in shock," Colaiacovo told Toronto reporters. "The first thing that went through my head was how great I have had it here in Toronto. I am looking forward to the opportunity and playing with one of my best friends, Brad Boyes.

"It has not sunk in yet. I love Toronto. I would consider coming back again one day."

Stempniak, 25, had three goals and 10 assists for 13 points, tied for fourth-highest total on the Blues.

"We looked at our club and we're trying to improve it a step at a time here. Lee was good for us, without question, but we're in a position to add what we think will be upside for us," Blues President John Davidson said. "We also looked at what we had with our organization now, particularly T.J. Oshie.

"With Steen, he's a forward who has upside. He can play center or wing. He's young. We're trying to develop our center ice position. There's just a lot there. It's really hard to say, 'Is he a fourth liner, third liner, second liner?' I don't know. He's got upside. He wasn't used a lot recently in Toronto for whatever reason, and we think a change of scenery will help his scenario.

"And with Colaiacova to help us back there, he's a big body. He's got a good shot from the point. He has had some injuries, but we're banking on him being healthy, and when he's healthy, he's a good player."

Asked if the trade was a result of being thin at center with Andy McDonald, Patrik Berglund and Oshie out, Davidson replied:

"No, we're looking at the big picture here, because we know Andy will be back, Berglund will be back. We'd love to have a deep center ice position taken care of for the future, too. So it's all part of the package here."

In four seasons with the Blues, Stempniak scored 57 goals with 73 assists in 233 games. Nine of his 57 goals were game-winners, including Friday night at home against Anaheim.

He scored 27 goals in 2006-07, but slumped to 13 goals in 80 games last season.

"Lee Stempniak was a quality person and a quality player," Davidson said. "We have to look at our organization now, and the one player that really jumped up for us was TJ (Oshie).

"TJ is going to get a lot of time when he comes back from his injury. We'll see as it marches along here, but (Oshie) certainly as the ability to."

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/blues/story/9496D6C018432B378625750B00659515?OpenDocument

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=17751

redbird89
11-25-2008, 02:25 AM
Post-trade Interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-ilgYnbbAg

bpmd2k
11-25-2008, 10:38 PM
I am not sure on this... I really like stempniaks game, but hopefully these guys turn out to be decent.