PDA

View Full Version : Mike and Mike in the Morning

kazzy4080
11-24-2008, 04:06 PM
Alright i was watching mike and mike in the morning and mike ditka was on. He said the craziest statement ever. I literally freaked out when i heard it called people in my phone and just started yelling bout his statement.

Basically Ditka said that soon ESPN shows will start talking bout the idea of Matt Cassell replacing Tom Brady.

Matt Cassell is my boy but Tom Brady is just in a league of his own.

So what do you guys think? Could the pats replace Brady with Cassell?

BeAn 5 ToWnE
11-24-2008, 04:15 PM
No, Brady still has good years in him.

BTownTeamsRKing
11-24-2008, 04:44 PM
lol at anyone even contemplating replacing Brady

Cassel is doin great, better than i thought he would, but no way do u replace tom brady. i hope we can work a deal with Cassel to stay at least next yr.

BRADY4MVP
11-24-2008, 04:56 PM
yea people are starting to mention this...i mean, with cassel's play, i can understand it, but you DO NOT and CANNOT relpace one of the best QBs ever in the league with cassel. Brady's track-record is proven, you have to give me the edge....

side note: i love it when profootballtalk.com calls them "man-girl and meatball" in the morning

The Intimidator
11-24-2008, 04:57 PM
NO WAY. That's laughable. Cassel has been fantastic thus far, but there is only one Tom Brady. He will be back next season, so we'll have to bid Cassel adieu.

ERLynx
11-24-2008, 06:02 PM
NO WAY. That's laughable. Cassel has been fantastic thus far, but there is only one Tom Brady. He will be back next season, so we'll have to bid Cassel adieu.

also, i dont know if i'd say he's been fantastic thus far. he has been fantastic for the past two games. there were games earlier in the season when many of us were ready to write him off. now, replacing tom brady? get real.

we all know he wants a chance to play more. he is showing now, over the past 2 weeks, that he is capable of playing and deserves a shot somewhere. but it won't be here.

it is fun watching him run the ball in, though. every time i see tom tuck the ball i scream for him to get out of bounds. cassels mobility is awesome.

all i can say, guys, is to enjoy the success he is having, and be ready to root for him next year when he's playing for the 49ers.

rev
11-24-2008, 07:00 PM
so just a question then, i know this has a lot of what ifs in it but at least consider it. What if cassel continues to play this well with 300-400 passing yards a game with like 3 TDs either passing or running it himself and finally if he gets you guys far into the playoffs possibly to the superbowl.

what would you guys do? still stick with cassel or maybe think about trading brady in some big block buster trade that will give your team lots of picks and good young players?

kazzy4080
11-24-2008, 07:35 PM
so just a question then, i know this has a lot of what ifs in it but at least consider it. What if cassel continues to play this well with 300-400 passing yards a game with like 3 TDs either passing or running it himself and finally if he gets you guys far into the playoffs possibly to the superbowl.

what would you guys do? still stick with cassel or maybe think about trading brady in some big block buster trade that will give your team lots of picks and good young players?

i would break down and start crying in joy and sadness at the same time. i would be so excited that my boy cassel is dominating but how could we give up TB the man whose lead this team ever since bledsoe got knocked by the jets.

i really would not know what to do if i was BB nor do i know what i would want to happen. if i knew brady would come back and be his same old self i would take brady but theres just doubt in my mind he wont be the same.

bagwell368
11-24-2008, 08:08 PM
If we were in a time warp, and it was the end of 2010, and Brady has had two injury plagued years, and Cassell was doing this in 2010, then it would make a lot of sense, but it just isn't going to happen - not now.

rarmando8
11-24-2008, 08:10 PM
I'm a huge pats fan and believe me i love Tom Brady as the Pats QB but if Matt Cassel were to get us to the Superbowl or even the AFC Champ. game i would really consider trading Tom Brady..
1) Cassel is younger
2) we could get ALOT for Brady

I'm not saying to Trade Brady now but i would deff. consider under the right Constance

rarmando8
11-24-2008, 08:20 PM
I'm a huge pats fan and believe me i love Tom Brady as the Pats QB but if Matt Cassel were to get us to the Superbowl or even the AFC Champ. game i would really consider trading Tom Brady..
1) Cassel is younger
2) we could get ALOT for Brady

I'm not saying to Trade Brady now but i would deff. consider under the right Constance

Super.
11-24-2008, 08:26 PM
no way in hell that happens, we'll keep brady and cassel will get HUGE paycheck for some other team

CheeseOnMyHead
11-24-2008, 09:42 PM
No. I'm not even gonna give supporting evidence since my answer is for obvious reasons.

ARMIN12NBA
11-25-2008, 12:26 AM
Tom Brady is arguably the greatest QB of all time. He is only 30 years old. Unless the Pats have serious concerns about his health then there is no reason to replace him with Cassel.

shepnat86
11-25-2008, 12:42 AM
I don't care how good Cassell does, the team and the fans should stay loyal to Brady. This is Brady's team and he has earned the right to finish his career here. He brought the pats 3 championships, there is no way you can show this guy the door. If fans want players to be loyal to them and the team, then the fans and the team should be loyal to the players. Plus, you have to remember that Brady could have gotten Manning money, but took less to stay in New England.

D-PHINSfan4life
11-25-2008, 01:15 AM
For a fan of a team like the dolphins it seems a shame to let a very good QB in Cassell go but Brady is the man and still will be for years to come.

Patsfan56
11-25-2008, 07:06 AM
sent post twice for some reason

Patsfan56
11-25-2008, 07:06 AM
Brady is the man. He has my loyalty as a fan, and he's earned it. For me it comes down to that one simple truth.

It is a shame that Cassel will go and get big bucks as an UFA, and the team won't get anything for him. But I look at that as Cassel padding his resume, and good for him. He is seizing his opportunity to land a big contract with a team like SF or detroit. But no one replaces Brady with a few good games.

It was a good explosive talking point for M&M, but that's all it is. Besides, Greenburg's probably drooling over the idea of getting either Cassel or, even worse, TB on the Jets, like that is going to happen.

cre0530
11-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Well as usual there are more than a few idiots that call themselves Pat fans. Cassell has had more than a few below average games compared to 2 decent games against suspect defenses. If your ready to replace Brady one of the true elite quarterbacks to ever play the game with a career backup then you should be Bengal fans...

The Intimidator
11-25-2008, 12:27 PM
But no one replaces Brady with a few good games.

Bulls eye. Look at the body of work in this situation. Brady has 7 years of strong play, while Cassel hasn't played a full season yet. You keep the guy with the longer track record of success.

NCBoSoxfan21
11-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Oh shite. I didn't see this.

Well disregard my other topic then.

I think Cassel should stay and Brady should be traded for picks.

Young2Kinsler
11-25-2008, 01:20 PM
With Brady's continued injury complications, and aging body, you better lock up a backup QB, wether or not its Cassell. I'm betting he goes somewhere that will allow him to start next season... Philly? SF? Minn? Det?

TickTickBoom
11-25-2008, 02:39 PM
no way in hell that happens, we'll keep brady and cassel will get HUGE paycheck for some other team

Yeah, let's see what Cassel does against a team with a insane good defense like Pittsburgh has because we've all seen Tom Brady destroy that Steelers defense time and time again. So far Matt Cassel has had 2 good games vs. 2 alright teams. Let's see what he does vs. arguably the best team in the AFC this weekend.

kazzy4080
11-25-2008, 03:23 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/081125

heres an article from page 2 talking bout how the system is making cassel good

shepnat86
11-25-2008, 05:48 PM
I agree with the article that the system is a help for the Pats QB success, but I think it has more to do with Bill Belichicks eye for talent. He picked up Cassel and Brady in the late rounds of the draft and in no time had them both as backups. Bledsoe did allright before Belichick, that means he should have been MVP with the Pats system. There is no way that two late round draft picks who did not start in college could make it that high in the depth chart if Belichick didn't see their greatness. You can't tell me that Joey Harrington could run this offense.. No way in hell. There is no way Cassel, who was a nobody, could stick around this long without being good. Belichick is the ultimate when it comes to finding the diamond in the rough.

kazzy4080
11-25-2008, 06:12 PM
I agree with the article that the system is a help for the Pats QB success, but I think it has more to do with Bill Belichicks eye for talent. He picked up Cassel and Brady in the late rounds of the draft and in no time had them both as backups. Bledsoe did allright before Belichick, that means he should have been MVP with the Pats system. There is no way that two late round draft picks who did not start in college could make it that high in the depth chart if Belichick didn't see their greatness. You can't tell me that Joey Harrington could run this offense.. No way in hell. There is no way Cassel, who was a nobody, could stick around this long without being good. Belichick is the ultimate when it comes to finding the diamond in the rough.

brady played in college and played well. winning two bowl games (citrus and orange) he was 20-5 and helped lead michagen to a share of big ten conference title

chomaru
11-25-2008, 06:43 PM
this really reminds me of the Joe and Steve Young problem the niners had...

shepnat86
11-25-2008, 07:16 PM
well your right about that. The point I was getting at was that both of them were late rounders who no one really thought too highly of, except Belichick. I just feel that they are good legitimate QB's and its not just the system allowing them to thrive.

Cowboy4lyfe
11-25-2008, 07:57 PM
I would be SHOCKED if the front office even kind of contemplated this. Tom Brady is rediculously good..and cassel...is well matt cassel!!..He's gunna get paid next year and no way are the pats gunna pay him 6-7 mil to sit on the bench.

americaspasttim
11-25-2008, 08:57 PM
this really reminds me of the Joe and Steve Young problem the niners had...

Cassell has been doing pretty well, and its awesome to see. But Brady is one of the best of all time. To even think about replacing him in his prime would be laughable. I think its ridiculous that Dirt Dogs and Boston.n tossing this idea around, its crazy talk. Let's at least see how he does against the Steelers next week lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see him meshing with the team and performing at a high level, but he is no Tom Brady...

The Intimidator
11-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Oh shite. I didn't see this.

Well disregard my other topic then.

I think Cassel should stay and Brady should be traded for picks.

Then you're an idiot.

No Fun League
11-26-2008, 12:18 PM
is brady even going to be healthy? 2 ligaments torn and had infections...it is said you can't lose your job cause of injury, but in all seriousness can tom be the same tom in 07/08?

ERLynx
11-26-2008, 12:57 PM
is brady even going to be healthy? 2 ligaments torn and had infections...it is said you can't lose your job cause of injury, but in all seriousness can tom be the same tom in 07/08?

i kind of agree with this. That's a significant injury. Career ending, even. Look at McNabb. Never the same after that injury. I dont have stats on every player who has endured that same injury and rehab to return to the NFL, but to be honest with you guys, I am worried that he wont be the same.

And that would suck.

The Intimidator
11-26-2008, 02:47 PM
i kind of agree with this. That's a significant injury. Career ending, even. Look at McNabb. Never the same after that injury. I dont have stats on every player who has endured that same injury and rehab to return to the NFL, but to be honest with you guys, I am worried that he wont be the same.

And that would suck.

Lynx, you already jinxed the injury situation once, do you really want to do it again? :D

No, in all seriousness, Brady is already rehabing in Foxboro, and his recovery time is said to not have been affected by that much by the infection. He'll be fine by next season, IMO. Just be confident.

shepnat86
11-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Brady will be fine. You can't compare him to Mcnabb, because McNabb is a whole other story. The guy didn't even know that games can end in ties. I don't think that the injury will really effect his play, because he doesn't rely on his legs to make plays. He may be a little rusty at first, but he will be ok.

NCBoSoxfan21
11-26-2008, 03:59 PM
A pats staffer said he wasn't even sure if Brady would be ready by next year and that was before the infection was in danger of ruining the ligament tissue. Point is the chances of him coming back to his old self are 50-50 and not to mention him being ready for opening day is 70-30. So what's better, a hobbled QB who MIGHT be as good as he was (McNabb, Palmer, Culpepper, and more haven't been able to recover and history tends to repeat itself) or a younger, less experienced, but highly talented QB?

Uh, yeah the latter is right.

shepnat86
11-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Well, Philip Rivers tore his ACL in last years playoffs and has come back strong with a lot less recovery time than Brady has. He's having one of his best seasons. Mcnabb hasn't really had any recievers to throw to since T.O. left town, and he was better when he was able to run out of the pocket. Culpeppers numbers went down when Moss and Carter left and he was also better when he could run out of the pocket too. Carson Palmer has been struggling, but it could possibly be because of his arm injury. He might have tommy john surgery, so he could have been battling an arm injury for a while.

The Intimidator
11-27-2008, 12:20 PM
A pats staffer said he wasn't even sure if Brady would be ready by next year and that was before the infection was in danger of ruining the ligament tissue. Point is the chances of him coming back to his old self are 50-50 and not to mention him being ready for opening day is 70-30. So what's better, a hobbled QB who MIGHT be as good as he was (McNabb, Palmer, Culpepper, and more haven't been able to recover and history tends to repeat itself) or a younger, less experienced, but highly talented QB?

Uh, yeah the latter is right.

Seeing that Dr. James Andrews, one of the most respected surgeons in the country, said that he felt Brady's recovery time wasn't affected all that much by the infection, I feel pretty confident that Brady will be back on the field and completely healthy next season. And who is this Pats' staff member that you think so highly of? He could be the Gillette Stadium janitor for all we know. I'm hoping that deep down you realize that the Patriots know a little bit more about football than any of us do. That means that they will make the proper football decision, which is to bring Brady back as the starter next season.

kazzy4080
11-27-2008, 06:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3728964

some good news bout TB

NCBoSoxfan21
11-28-2008, 06:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3658987

Hmm I thought McDaniels had another quote, but I'm unable to find it right now. I'll look a little more. There he says 'optimistically' Brady readiness is "whenever next year" and as far as I've seen Andrews is only confident Brady's own doctor treated the infection as best he could and that Brady was responding well to the treatment, not that he'd be ready for next year or that he wasn't affect by the infection.

Not that this goes to my point at all. My point is Brady might not come back like he was. And its seems like you think I don't like Brady. Like I said, he was prior to this injury the BEST, undisputed QB in the league, easily one of the NFL's best EVER. Will he return to that? Maybe. I think the best thing for the Pats to do is retain Cassel with an expensive franchise tag (not like it will hurt them terribly money wise to do it) just in case. That way at least we get something for Cassel if Brady turns out alright OR Cassel in case Brady either doesn't recover or needs more time to recover.

On a side note, anyone curious why Brady hasn't been on the sidelines yet?

The Intimidator
11-28-2008, 06:59 PM
I think the best thing for the Pats to do is retain Cassel with an expensive franchise tag (not like it will hurt them terribly money wise to do it) just in case. That way at least we get something for Cassel if Brady turns out alright OR Cassel in case Brady either doesn't recover or needs more time to recover.

That's a legitimate thought. What you said before, which is that the Pats should trade Brady for picks, was downright idiotic.

On a side note, anyone curious why Brady hasn't been on the sidelines yet?

That doesn't really matter, IMO. He is back at the Patriots' facility and rehabing, so that's all that matters.

futureheisman
11-29-2008, 06:50 PM
this is a crazy statement

The Intimidator
11-29-2008, 10:15 PM
this is a crazy statement

You would know, you have made plenty.

BRADY4MVP
11-30-2008, 01:06 AM
You would know, you have made plenty.

is that necessary? it's not like you haven't :rolleyes:

The Intimidator
11-30-2008, 01:32 AM
is that necessary? it's not like you haven't :rolleyes:

Are you honestly comparing me to futureheisman? Show me something completely outrageous that I've said that compares to what he has said. Let me remind you, he has been quoted as saying that the Pats should release Richard Seymour this offseason.

Redsoxin2009
11-30-2008, 01:56 PM
ummmm............tom brady if he keeps this up....and retired a patriot or until very late in his career....will go down as possibly top 5-6 legends in new englend sports history...behind......williams,russel,auerbach, orr, and bird....thats about it....and were talking about trading him?? WTF.......makes noooooo sense

futureheisman
11-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Are you honestly comparing me to futureheisman? Show me something completely outrageous that I've said that compares to what he has said. Let me remind you, he has been quoted as saying that the Pats should release Richard Seymour this offseason.

I never said that

Redsoxin2009
11-30-2008, 02:11 PM
releasing seymour prob isnt the greatest idea........as hes an absolute beast....but......last time bellichick released a probowl player it ended up in us winning 2 sb's....

The Intimidator
11-30-2008, 02:25 PM
I never said that

Yes you did, don't even pretend that you didn't.

TheShowzOver
11-30-2008, 05:50 PM
It's not going to happen. Cassel could of lead us to 19-0 and a Super Bowl this year. Brady is coming back, it doesn't matter. He's proven and he still has some good years left in him. I'd much rather have a sure shot at a few more Super Bowls than hoping Cassel can be the next Brady

futureheisman
11-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Yes you did, don't even pretend that you didn't.

I didnt case closed

Red_Sox_89
11-30-2008, 11:56 PM
No. Scenario. Say whoever we drop goes to say... the Dolphins.
I could live with Cassel as a Dolphin making it to the Superbowl instead of us.
I could NEVER live with Brady making it as a member of ANY other team.

BRADY4MVP
12-01-2008, 10:36 AM

oh no, i know he has....but im just saying that i think we can all claim to have said something and then regretted it, thats all.

Crickr
12-01-2008, 11:01 AM
When hell freezes over would I be ok with that happening.

The Intimidator
12-01-2008, 11:28 AM
I didnt case closed

Yes you did, in the "Patriots 09 Draft" thread. You edited the post yesterday at 1:12 p.m. to make it look like you didn't do it. There another post of yours earlier in that thread where you mention it as well.

futureheisman
12-01-2008, 05:07 PM
lets just drop it I never said it

The Intimidator
12-01-2008, 05:52 PM
what are you smoking look at his production buddy. We need someone in there who will GET PRESSURE ON THE QUATERBACK. He is not doing the job right now. Have you been watching the games or been lost in purple haze. Stop with the moonshine and relize that Seymour and the rest of the D-Line needs to get some pressure on the QB. Look a Denver two all pro corners but cant stop anyone. pressure on the QB is the way for defenses to be not only great but even average in this league

That was you responding to me after I questioned your opinion that Richard Seymour should be cut in the off-season. I would provide the post where you actually said Seymour should be cut, but like I said you edited it yesterday at 1:12 p.m. So yeah, you did say it. Just man up to it. I wouldn't be making such a big deal about it if it wasn't true. Others on this site can vouch for me.