PDA

View Full Version : Wizards fire Eddie Jordan.

NYKnickFanatic
11-24-2008, 01:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3722783

WASHINGTON -- Eddie Jordan was fired as coach of the Washington Wizards on Monday after opening the season 1-10 without injured starters Gilbert Arenas and Brendan Haywood.

The Wizards' record matches the worst start in franchise history; the only other time the team was 1-10 was in 1966, when it was called the Baltimore Bullets.

The final straw for Jordan appears to have been a 122-117 loss Saturday night to the undermanned New York Knicks, who had only seven players available.

Ed Tapscott, the Wizards' director of player development, will replace Jordan on an interim basis, running his first practice as the team's new head coach Monday morning, a team spokesman told The Associated Press.

Tapscott never has been an NBA head coach, although he has plenty of front-office experience, including as president and chief operating officer of the Charlotte Bobcats and, before that, as vice president of player personnel and basketball operations for the Knicks in the 1990s.

Assistant coach Mike O'Koren was also let go, and the Wizards named Randy Ayers as top assistant coach, a source told ESPN's Ric Bucher.

Jordan was in his sixth season with the Wizards and led the team to the playoffs each of the past four. In September, shortly before the start of training camp, the Wizards picked up a one-year option to keep him under contract through the 2009-10 season.

Jordan leaves as the Eastern Conference's longest-tenured coach and No. 3 in the NBA behind Jerry Sloan of the Utah Jazz and Gregg Popovich of the San Antonio Spurs.

Jordan came into this season with a 196-214 mark with the Wizards, but that included a rebuilding 25-57 record in his first season. Since then -- with a fast-paced offense built around Arenas and also featuring All-Star forwards Antawn Jamison and Caron Butler -- Jordan helped turn the Wizards around.

Jordan was the East's coach at the 2007 All-Star Game.

But the Wizards have struggled to even be competitive at times this season, with Arenas recovering from his third operation on his left knee in 1 years, and with Haywood out for perhaps the entire season after surgery on his shooting wrist.

Washington opened 0-5, then beat the Jazz at home to avoid the first 0-6 start in franchise history. That victory, though, was followed by another five-game losing streak.

The only NBA team with a worse record is the Oklahoma City Thunder, which is 1-13 and fired coach P.J. Carlesimo over the weekend.

After Saturday's loss, the Wizards' locker room stayed closed for longer than usual before Jordan emerged wearing a hallowed expression.

"First of all, not in our wildest dreams did we think that we'd be 1-10. Now how do you handle that?" Jordan said. "I wish I could give them a manual and say this is how you keep your poise, this is how you suck it up, this is how you stay positive. I can't find a manual like that yet. But, again I reiterated that we don't have losing habits. That's a big thing for us."

Jamison also addressed the rough start to the season Saturday.

"As long as we continue to work hard and continue to believe that we can turn things around, it makes my job easy," said Jamison, the Wizards' captain. "When guys stop playing hard and giving their all is when it becomes difficult for me, but this is a learning curve."

Jordan discussed the difficulties of having to lean on young players such as Nick Young and Javale McGee late in games.

"They're playing in the guts of the game where veterans usually carry you, and we haven't made a big shot when we've needed to, especially tonight," he said.

Tapscott's debut will come Tuesday night, when Washington hosts the Golden State Warriors.

He joined the Wizards' front office in August 2007 after spending a year as an analyst for the team's television broadcasts. He was fired in 2006 by the Bobcats.

Tapscott was an assistant to current Maryland coach Gary Williams at American University in the 1970s and became head coach in 1982. In eight seasons at AU, Tapscott finished with 119 victories.

Information from The Associated Press and ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan was used in this report.

rrude
11-24-2008, 01:15 PM
It's a shame, he's a good coach. Although some of his rotation decisions this year have been strange.

superkegger
11-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Too bad for him, but I've no doubt he'll resurface somewhere. He probably deserved this though, even with gil and haywood out, they have two all stars, gotta win more than 1 game. How Nick young hasn't gotten 1 start befuddles me.

Mane
11-24-2008, 01:25 PM
As a wizards fan, i'm happy.

todu82
11-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Unlike the Thunder's firing of P.J. Carlesimo I think that this firing was a long time coming. The Wizards have not played up to their potential for a long time now. Hopefully a new coach can come in and turn that team around.

Mane
11-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Unlike the Thunder's firing of P.J. Carlesimo I think that this firing was a long time coming. The Wizards have not played up to their potential for a long time now. Hopefully a new coach can come in and turn that team around.

Yeah, we have been eliminated early in the season for too long now. This team has potential for maybe an Eastern Conference championship berth if everyone was healthy. Eddie just wasn't getting it done. He doesn't understand how to rotate with a solid bench. Hopefully the new coach will realize the talent we have on this team, and utilize it.

oldenpolynice
11-24-2008, 03:48 PM
He is a good coach who led the Wizards to four consecutive playoffs and always treated people with respect. There's no reason to panic and fire him just because the team is riddled with injuries and doesn't have a good record so far.

The interim coach will do no better and they'll miss Eddie next year when they have a solid shot at competing again.

Bad decision.

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2008/11/24/jordan-didnt-deserve-to-be-fired/

Philapsychosis
11-24-2008, 04:03 PM
Seconded

Frrrrank!!!
11-24-2008, 04:10 PM
when a team is going bad someone has to be blamed, a lot easier to fire the coach then to replace a roster of players.

MiamiHeat
11-24-2008, 04:12 PM
he got fired?
:speechless:

LAKERS 24/7
11-24-2008, 04:37 PM
its not an easy profession to make it in as a coach when your leash is so short. These days your team better improve yearly otherwise your getting the boot

superkegger
11-24-2008, 04:45 PM
He may not have deserved it, as he was not to blame for all the teams lack of success, but it happens when you go 1-10. He'll resurface as a head coach again somewhere in the near future though, I've no doubt of that.

cubulls
11-24-2008, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't mind if the Bulls got him.

superkegger
11-24-2008, 05:06 PM
I wouldn't mind if the Bulls got him.

i was actually thinking that.

VDN is a nice guy, but man, his substitution patterns and who hes playing where is so bizarre and bad. Granted it stems from the fact that he has no size in the frontcourt. but still. and jordan has shown great success with gilbert, I think he could do wonders for rose's game...

DreamShaker
11-24-2008, 05:08 PM
He may not have deserved it, as he was not to blame for all the teams lack of success, but it happens when you go 1-10. He'll resurface as a head coach again somewhere in the near future though, I've no doubt of that.

I agree with my friend Kegger here...heck most teams in the NBA wish they had a coach as good as EJ....

Cavs_Fan24
11-24-2008, 05:09 PM
when a team is going bad someone has to be blamed, a lot easier to fire the coach then to replace a roster of players.

True that. He did not deserve to be fired. If anyone was to be blamed it would be the players not him.

DreamShaker
11-24-2008, 05:10 PM
i was actually thinking that.

VDN is a nice guy, but man, his substitution patterns and who hes playing where is so bizarre and bad. Granted it stems from the fact that he has no size in the frontcourt. but still. and jordan has shown great success with gilbert, I think he could do wonders for rose's game...

That thought crossed my mind as well....

Frrrrank!!!
11-24-2008, 05:11 PM
True that. He did not deserve to be fired. If anyone was to be blamed it would be the players not him.

yea, its too bad.

DreamShaker
11-24-2008, 05:12 PM

Yeah outside of Butler, Jamison, and Gilbert "DNP" Arenas they have a primarily youthful team....

pebloemer
11-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Raptor's could use an upgrade behind the bench . . . Doubt it will happen.

Ragun
11-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Raptors!!!! Fire same!

Mane
11-24-2008, 09:21 PM

You obviously have not watched the Wizards play this year.

The players are all doing well. Eddie Jordan does not know how to call plays.

We allow an insane amount of 3 pointers, yet Jordan has not changed the defensive zone.

amare#1
11-24-2008, 09:22 PM
It was bound to happen.

Yogi
11-24-2008, 09:23 PM
You obviously have not watched the Wizards play this year.

The players are all doing well. Eddie Jordan does not know how to call plays.

We allow an insane amount of 3 pointers, yet Jordan has not changed the defensive zone.

And he has crappy player combinations.

Mane
11-24-2008, 09:24 PM
And he has crappy player combinations.

And he didn't start Nick Young.

Yogi
11-24-2008, 09:30 PM
And he didn't start Nick Young.

And he didn't leave Etan Thomas off the active roster.

pippsux
11-24-2008, 09:38 PM
The wiz have been my secong fav team since the Bullet's days. I get to see almost all their games and this season after they played the rockets and collapsed I told a friend of mine they are going to get their coach fired. People forget he took over a franchise in dissaray. This Jordan came into the job with no fanfare and took the wiz to the playoffs and made them relevant. Is it his fault his franchise player is injured and making stupid statements about "tanking" or is it the coach's fault that Jameson signed a big contract and could not lead his team to victory more than once in 11 games. I think they tuned him out.

Eddie Jordan is a good coach and will be coaching again. Maybe the Clippers job?

barreleffact
11-25-2008, 01:02 AM
The wiz have been my secong fav team since the Bullet's days. I get to see almost all their games and this season after they played the rockets and collapsed I told a friend of mine they are going to get their coach fired. People forget he took over a franchise in dissaray. This Jordan came into the job with no fanfare and took the wiz to the playoffs and made them relevant. Is it his fault his franchise player is injured and making stupid statements about "tanking" or is it the coach's fault that Jameson signed a big contract and could not lead his team to victory more than once in 11 games. I think they tuned him out.

Eddie Jordan is a good coach and will be coaching again. Maybe the Clippers job?

thatd be sweet. call me crazy, but the clippers actually have a really nice roster. I kill with them on 2k9(yes i know actual talent and video games are different)