PDA

View Full Version : Agent: Antonio McDyess will re-sign with Pistons

DenButsu
11-24-2008, 02:50 AM
Agent: Antonio McDyess will re-sign with Pistons

DETROIT (AP) _ Antonio McDyess is coming back to play for the Detroit Pistons.

"After long deliberation Antonio has decided that he will return to the Pistons," Andy Miller, McDyess' agent, informed The Associated Press via text message Sunday night.

Detroit dealt McDyess, Chauncey Billups and project Cheikh Samb to Denver for Allen Iverson on Nov. 3. The cost-cutting Nuggets waived McDyess a week later and he has to wait until 30 days have passed since the trade to rejoin the Pistons.

The 6-foot-9 power forward averaged seven points and four rebounds in two games as a key reserve for Detroit before the trade.

Detroit kept the former All-Star and Olympian off the free-agent market last summer by giving him a $13.5 million, two-year extension in July 2007. He gave up an undisclosed sum in a buyout arrangement with Denver.
Rocky Mountain News (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/nov/23/agent-antonio-mcdyess-will-re-sign-with-pistons/)

superkegger
11-24-2008, 02:56 AM
Yeah I saw that. Not surprising at all.

DenButsu
11-24-2008, 03:03 AM
Yeah I saw that. Not surprising at all.

No. I'm pissed the Nuggets paid that whiney ***** off, though. If you sign a contract, man up and honor the damn thing.

superkegger
11-24-2008, 03:33 AM
No. I'm pissed the Nuggets paid that whiney ***** off, though. If you sign a contract, man up and honor the damn thing.

Yeah, I can understand what you're saying. But I feel like there had to be some inkling that the Nuggets knew that was going to be the likely reaction and sequence of events with McDyess. And while I don't know, nuggets management has shown being under the cap is very important, and buying mcdyess out for what was reportedly a very deep discount, saves them money, which is what they're about.

I'm not criticizing the nuggets here either. I completely understand why a smaller market team doesn't want to pay a dollar for dollar tax for spending over the 70 million (or is it 80) dollar limit. I mean that's just good business sense.

Anyway.

DenButsu
11-24-2008, 06:10 AM
Among the nominees for a 2008 Golden Globe Award for Best Actor are...

Antonio McDyess.

You knew Jerry Stackhouse wouldn't be in that category. The Dallas guard mouthed off before the Jason Kidd trade was official last February about how he would in the deal to New Jersey, and then would be waived and return to the Mavericks after the required 30-day waiting period.

Well, the initial trade fell through. Then Stackhouse was excluded from the deal that did happen because the Mavericks knew the NBA wouldn't go along with it if he were to be waived and then returned to Dallas. The NBA could have regarded that as an illegal prearranged condition to a trade.

If there was anything prearranged about McDyess returning to the Detroit Pistons, his camp did a reasonably good job of concealing it. For starters, it was made sure McDyess would be granting no interviews from the time he was traded Nov. 3 from the Pistons to the Nuggets. After all, there was no need to take any chance that he might slip up in an interview.

Of course, before we really can consider McDyess a candidate for a Golden Globe, we'll have to see how he performs in his initial interviews after returning to the Pistons.

McDyess' representatives notified the Pistons on Sunday he would be re-signing with them. It's not expected he can play his first game until Dec. 7, which would be after the 30-day waiting period has expired as to when a player can return to his old team if he is traded and then waived.

Not that any of this was a surprise. There was a belief right after the deal was made that the Nuggets would buy out McDyess' contract and he would return to Detroit. And, wouldn't it figure, that's what happened.
Perhaps McDyess really did look around in earnest after being let go by Detroit. If he did, he sure wasn't lured by immediate money.

In his Denver buyout Nov. 10, McDyess got about $6 million of the remaining amount of nearly $15 million on his contract ($7.48 million both this season and next season). That means he left $9 million on the table (although $1.36 million came in a trade kicker, money he wouldn't have gotten had he not been traded in the first place).
It's been reported in some circles that McDyess would get a prorated portion of the bi-annual exception. However, McDyess is entitled by NBA rules to get the full $1.91 million for this season.

McDyess can sign a deal for the bi-annual exception of up to two years. The prudent thing to do would be to sign for this season, with a player option for next season in the event he were to get injured. With an 8 percent raise (he wouldn't get 10.5 percent since he lost his Bird rights after being traded and waived), that would be a $2.06 million salary for next season.

Then McDyess could opt out of his contract next summer and become an unrestricted free agent. Then he could re-sign with the Pistons, who will have cap room next summer, for a salary next season around the current midlevel exception of $5.585 million.

Voila. McDyess left about $9 million on the table, but he would recoup roughly $7.5 million if he signed for the bi-annual exception this season and for an amount around the midlevel for next season. And, considering the $1.36 million from the trade kicker is money he wouldn't have received had he not been traded, he would be right back where he started and would hardly lose a dime.

Of course, all of this might have been known a long time ago by the McDyess camp. If that is the case and those in the camp never raised the suspicions of the NBA, give them all awards.Rocky Mountain News (http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/nuggets/archives/2008/11/no_surprise_mcd.html)

TMAC94
11-24-2008, 06:44 AM
hmmmmmmmmm

michaellui11
11-24-2008, 06:56 AM
lol i saw that too
not really suprising

gr824
11-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Yeah, I can understand what you're saying. But I feel like there had to be some inkling that the Nuggets knew that was going to be the likely reaction and sequence of events with McDyess. And while I don't know, nuggets management has shown being under the cap is very important, and buying mcdyess out for what was reportedly a very deep discount, saves them money, which is what they're about.

I'm not criticizing the nuggets here either. I completely understand why a smaller market team doesn't want to pay a dollar for dollar tax for spending over the 70 million (or is it 80) dollar limit. I mean that's just good business sense.

Anyway.

To be precise, the LT figure for this season is $71.15 million ...

Testaverde16
11-24-2008, 10:04 AM
A rule has to be changed here.... I'm sick of players being traded and just not going to the other team because they don't want too, then, because they're littles *****es they get paid to not report to their new team and then get paid by the old team that traded them again in a new deal.

This is getting ridiculous and should no longer be allowed.

king4day
11-24-2008, 10:14 AM

Agreed. This is the business.

MiamiHeat
11-24-2008, 10:21 AM
no surpise here..

_Supreme_
11-24-2008, 10:29 AM
A rule has to be changed here.... I'm sick of players being traded and just not going to the other team because they don't want too, then, because they're littles *****es they get paid to not report to their new team and then get paid by the old team that traded them again in a new deal.

This is getting ridiculous and should no longer be allowed.

I agree, but with the exception of some situations involving veterans with long servicable careers nearing retirement.

Imo the teams should also have the decency of not including those players as throw-inns in certain deals.

In this case (of McDyess) I'm sure it's as close to pre-arranged as it gets.

superkegger
11-24-2008, 01:12 PM
I agree, but with the exception of some situations involving veterans with long servicable careers nearing retirement.

Imo the teams should also have the decency of not including those players as throw-inns in certain deals.

In this case (of McDyess) I'm sure it's as close to pre-arranged as it gets.

And I'm assuming that there was that understanding that McDyess would be bought out...I would find it hard not to believe it so. Even if it wasn't pre-arranged, I think there was an understanding, and i think the nuggets were completely ok with that, or else they probably could have found other trade options for AI. So I really have absolutely no problem with this whatsoever.

JordansBulls
11-24-2008, 02:03 PM
The Pistons needed him back. In fact, I think with him back that they are about equal to Cleveland.

Frrrrank!!!
11-24-2008, 03:50 PM
this rule needs to be changed, period.

_Sn1P3r_
11-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Not surprised at all.

But I agree, the rule should be changed because it's not fair that players could just easily be packaged but plan to come back to the team.

JJ81
11-24-2008, 08:48 PM
He shouldn't be allowed to resign with them after getting traded in the same season.

SteveNash
11-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Denver made the trade to get Billups. McDyess was just a throw in to get Billups. McDyess wasn't going to play in Denver so he'd either retire and leave Denver stuck with the rest of the salary. Or take a pay cut to go back to Detroit. Both sides win here, and I'm not really sure why fans are crying about what happened.

KB24PG16
11-24-2008, 09:05 PM
this rule needs to be changed

Lakers4ItAll
11-24-2008, 11:42 PM
I'm just glad he didn't go to the Celtics

tonyd3b54
11-24-2008, 11:45 PM
not a smart choice...y go to the pistons when u can go to the celtics who kicked the pistons *** tiwce...

DenButsu
11-25-2008, 12:15 AM
Denver made the trade to get Billups. McDyess was just a throw in to get Billups. McDyess wasn't going to play in Denver so he'd either retire and leave Denver stuck with the rest of the salary. Or take a pay cut to go back to Detroit. Both sides win here, and I'm not really sure why fans are crying about what happened.

"McDyess wasn't going to play in Denver"?

Why not?

The dude signed a contract. He was legally obligated to play for Detroit - until they traded him, at which time he was legally obligated to play for Denver. Just because he's a childish brat who was going to throw a temper tantrum if he didn't get his way, and because of his history with the Nuggets, our FO played nice (unfortunately) and granted him his wishes.

If I'd been the GM, though, I'd have said:

"You have three choices:
1) Play.
2) Retire.
3) Refuse to play and we'll a) suspend you for contract detrimental to the team and b) seek to have your contract voided on those grounds.

The Nuggets shouldn't have paid him a dime for not playing for them.

SteveNash
11-25-2008, 12:20 AM
"McDyess wasn't going to play in Denver"?

Why not?

The dude signed a contract. He was legally obligated to play for Detroit - until they traded him, at which time he was legally obligated to play for Denver. Just because he's a childish brat who was going to throw a temper tantrum if he didn't get his way, and because of his history with the Nuggets, our FO played nice (unfortunately) and granted him his wishes.

If I'd been the GM, though, I'd have said:

"You have three choices:
1) Play.
2) Retire.
3) Refuse to play and we'll a) suspend you for contract detrimental to the team and b) seek to have your contract voided on those grounds.

The Nuggets shouldn't have paid him a dime for not playing for them.

Because he didn't want to play.

Would you be happy if he retired? Even though the Nuggets would have had to pay his entire salary? No reason to hurt your own team just to get back at a player.

Not only would you and your team look bad, but you'd anger McDyess agent Andy Miller who represents KG, Billups, Andre Miller, Mobley, etc. not a smart thing to do.

Which is why you'll never be a GM.

DenButsu
11-25-2008, 01:08 AM
Which is why you'll never be a GM.

Look, first of all, no need to be ****ing rude, okay?

Because he didn't want to play.

Would you be happy if he retired? Even though the Nuggets would have had to pay his entire salary? No reason to hurt your own team just to get back at a player.

Not only would you and your team look bad, but you'd anger McDyess agent Andy Miller who represents KG, Billups, Andre Miller, Mobley, etc. not a smart thing to do.

It's called not bending over and just taking it when you really don't have to. Dyess doesn't really want to retire, that's my whole point. He's using the Nuggets, he's gaming the system, so he can escape his contractual obligation. And the Nuggets don't have to put up with that, and Miller (or any other NBA agent worth his salt) would absolutely have to honor that obligation. Dice was playing "don't flinch" and the Nuggets blinked first - albeit knowingly and willingly. But if he hadn't had the history with Denver that he did, if he'd have been some other player who just didn't want to play for the Nuggets, they would have almost certainly given him the same options I described above. If a player refuses to play, he's most definitely subject to being hit with conduct detrimental to the team. By playing hardball (or even by just playing at all), the Nuggets could have kept him on the roster, probably with the understanding that they'd move him to another team if he really was such a big crybaby that he just couldn't play in the Pepsi Center. But he's Antonio McDyess, former leader of a marginally so-so era of Nuggets basketball, and I guess they felt the need to honor that and just play nice.

But they sure didn't have to.

Sox Appeal
11-25-2008, 01:09 AM
not a smart choice...y go to the pistons when u can go to the celtics who kicked the pistons *** tiwce...

Your defiantly right about that. The Celtics are clearly a MUCH better team then the Pistons are right now. But I don't think that had much effect, if at all on where McDyess would end up signing. Like many people in this thread have said, McDyess was just somebody who was thrown into the deal so salaries would match, and I highly doubt Denver ever expected him to come play for them. McDyess has also been playing with the Pistons for the last 3+ seasons, so that means he's comfortable with the fans, the City, and the players around him. And I'm sure those are a few of the reasons why McDyess decided to stay in Detroit, instead of going to play for a team like Celtics or Cavaliers.

SteveNash
11-25-2008, 01:55 AM
Look, first of all, no need to be ****ing rude, okay?

No need to raise some kind of personal vendetta against McDyess.

It's called not bending over and just taking it when you really don't have to. Dyess doesn't really want to retire, that's my whole point. He's using the Nuggets, he's gaming the system, so he can escape his contractual obligation. And the Nuggets don't have to put up with that, and Miller (or any other NBA agent worth his salt) would absolutely have to honor that obligation. Dice was playing "don't flinch" and the Nuggets blinked first - albeit knowingly and willingly. But if he hadn't had the history with Denver that he did, if he'd have been some other player who just didn't want to play for the Nuggets, they would have almost certainly given him the same options I described above. If a player refuses to play, he's most definitely subject to being hit with conduct detrimental to the team. By playing hardball (or even by just playing at all), the Nuggets could have kept him on the roster, probably with the understanding that they'd move him to another team if he really was such a big crybaby that he just couldn't play in the Pepsi Center. But he's Antonio McDyess, former leader of a marginally so-so era of Nuggets basketball, and I guess they felt the need to honor that and just play nice.

But they sure didn't have to.

Of course he's gaming the system and he has every right to, you act as if this has never happened in the NBA before. It is a common practice, it would be different if McDyess was in his prime. His career is winding down and he is comfortable in Detroit.

The Nuggets waived his medical examination, does that sound like a team that was really after McDyess? They knew what was going to happen to McDyess when they made the trade. The Nuggets aren't mad at what happened. You're not the one paying McDyess' salary, so why are you so mad?

DenButsu
11-25-2008, 02:01 AM
No need to raise some kind of personal vendetta against McDyess.

:eyebrow:

-----

I'm mad because I support the Nuggets organization and they made one stupid mistake in an otherwise perfect trade, which was to incur a cost and lose an asset when it was avoidable.

cahawk
11-25-2008, 02:14 AM
Detroit is going to be a strong contender come June.

And if McDyess resigning looks unfair....
how about kobe whining & then miraculously laker's got two starters in Fisher & Gasol to fill their main holes.....without giving up a starter...Fisher was for free, even.

SteveNash
11-25-2008, 02:21 AM
:eyebrow:

-----

I'm mad because I support the Nuggets organization and they made one stupid mistake in an otherwise perfect trade, which was to incur a cost and lose an asset when it was avoidable.

The Nuggets saved money and got rid of a player that wouldn't have wanted to play there. Seems like it worked out for the Nuggets.

DenButsu
11-25-2008, 06:50 AM
The Nuggets saved money and got rid of a player that wouldn't have wanted to play there. Seems like it worked out for the Nuggets.

No, what would have "worked out" for the Nuggets (since, as I just mentioned, they're incurring a cost and losing an asset at the same time) would have been to have worked out a trade so that the money they are spending on an absent McDyess would instead be being spent on badly needed depth in the front court.

Or for McDyess to just suck it up, be a man and own up to his obligation.