PDA

View Full Version : McHale: I Still Like KG Trade

Sox Appeal
11-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Source: Real GM

Timberwolves' GM Kevin McHale claims that he is still very happy with the seven-for-one trade that sent Kevin Garnett to the Celtics.

"I do like the deal," McHale said. "Like I said at the time, it was going to be a change, and there'll be some growing pains on the thing. But yeah, I couldn't be happier with Al and his progression and the fact that he's 23. That was the thing. You gained 10 years in age on the primary assets in the trade. So yeah, I like the deal."

Boston won an NBA title less than one year after the blockbuster trade.

Al Jefferson, who was the centerpiece of the deal in Minnesota's eyes, doesn't feel any pressure.

"I don't feel pressure at all," Jefferson said. "It's two franchises headed in opposite directions. Boston was looking to win now, which is exactly what they did. We were looking to rebuild. You can't rebuild a team overnight."

silverson
11-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Source: Real GM

I agree with both of them...

WolvesFan23
11-23-2008, 09:46 PM
I still think its a good trade but if BOS didnt do it they Would have had Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and an emerging star in big AL i think that is still an amazing team. KG would have became a free agent and we would have gotten nothing now we got Al plus plenty of cap space for 09 which is a talented class. Overall i liked the trade when it went down and i am still happy because i know Al will lead us to the top in the distant future

thesparky33
11-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Anybody who says it was a bad deal for the Timberwolves is an idiot IMO. I dont see how this really is news...

WSU Tony
11-24-2008, 01:13 PM
As if McHale would say different at this point.

silverson
11-24-2008, 05:58 PM
You are right Tony. He wouldn't say anything negative about a trade he made. Still I am so glad Al is wearing the Wolves jersey. And don't forget Telfair and Gomes are great role players.

WSU Tony
11-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Agreed, role players, not starters.

tcman2007
11-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Agreed, role players, not starters.

It was a good trade for both teams. It brought Boston a championship, and it gave the Wolves a fresh start.

Don't remember where I read it, but last year an NBA writer admitted that a handful of GM's had told him that they wouldn't have traded Big Al away for K.G. straight-up if they would have been Danny Ainge. They concluded that because of Big Al's age, he had far more value long-term. Well, I do kind of disagree with that. Boston won the title. They achieved exactly what they wanted to achieve. It's hard to argue against that. But...there will come a time when K.G. is spent and Al Jefferson will be a perennial all-star, that Boston fans will be back in the cellar and wondering why they traded their future away. The Celtics got one hell of a Cadillac from the Wolves, but it had tons of miles on it. We, on the other hand, drove a barely-driven sports-car off the lot (and it cost us a hell of a lot less $$).

One thing that is uncertain here, and is worth mentioning, is that Big Al hasn't hit his ceiling yet. We honestly don't know how good he can become. He's just now learning to hit jumpers. It's amazing to look back and realize that this guy avg'ed over 20 ppg last year without making many jump-shots. When he learns to hit 'em from outside, he'll be lethal. He also needs to improve his defense and his leadership. If/when he does this, this trade will be heavily in our favor.

And having said all of that, we got some nice players in return. Ryan Gomes and Sebastian Telfair are valuable pieces to our team, especially considering that they're not making that much $$. We were able to re-sign these guys for a very good price--that's encouraging. We also got tons of salary cap space--that was key. And there's still those 2 first-rounders.

Ummm...why are we having this discussion? Oh...that's right, 'cos KG and the Celtics won the title and kicked our tails in...well, I have a message for Boston fans and the media (local and elsewhere): you guys SHOULD have won the title with that much talent, and SHOULD whoop teams like us. But, we also live in the United States of Amnesia--there will come a time when ONLY the present matters, and while KG gets older and Big Al gets better, there will have to come a time when people forget about this one game and realize that our old buddy McFail actully scored a solid trade off of his old team.

But let's not start congratulating McHale yet. He still has the chore of building around Big Al, and doing it right! Not the way he built around KG. Getting Al to sign for $12 mil. per was a major coup. It seems that Kevin McHale has learned from his mistakes. But...this whole trade WILL be meaningless, and it WON'T go in our favor unless McHale is able to put players around Big Al.

silverson
11-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Great post Tcman...:clap:

tcman2007
11-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks, dude.

thesparky33
11-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Yeah, I agree with silverson, great post, tman.

PurpleJesus
11-25-2008, 12:56 AM
when i first heard about the trade i had been waiting months for it to happen, i went through hearing rumors about nowitzki for KG strait up, i hated that then i heard to phoenix for marion, i didnt like that, i heard to The L.A. Kobes, i mean lakers for bynum and change, i didnt like that, i heard he didnt want to go to boston, then i heard we got telfair, gomes, green, walker, jefferson, and two first round picks, and i thought holy crap, somebody realizes that KG is worth a whole teams future, and i thought we got what we deserved for him. This trade was like combining two young teams talent, imagine if a team like the twins and rays combined their young talent (OMG), something very similar happened with this trade.
For all those reasons, this was a good trade,

but

why couldnt we have gotten pierce and allen?

We had the pieces, remember when Foye was supposed to be the next big thing in the league

badkins1121
11-25-2008, 01:13 AM
^We got Theo Ratliff not Walker. Walker came from Miami.

But yeah I have always liked the trade plus we haven't even gotten all of the trade yet. The pick from Boston this year was involved plus another first round pick in a couple years when Boston should be on the decline. We had to trade him and I think this is the best trade we could have gotten.

PurpleJesus
11-25-2008, 01:42 AM
oh right, walker did come from the heat, my bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC2R1sqJDAc

the trade also assures us we will never see a player like this in a wolves uniform ever again, this video gave me the chills

taijes
11-25-2008, 04:08 PM
I don't know...I will always miss K.G. though.

thesparky33
11-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Yes. I think Garnett will be the best player in team history at least as long as I'm alive. I'd love to be wrong with that statement, obviously, but it's not often someone like him comes along.

A player with that much passion for the game, dedication, and so selfless, too much in fact to a fault. In a sports industry polluted with me-first players who all just want money (not saying KG didnt want money) and "stats", KG is a dying breed of players that just play for love of the game.

Sure, he wasnt perfect, and had lots of flaws, but nobody is.

It will be an emotional night when he retires and we raise #21 into the rafters...

WSU Tony
11-25-2008, 05:06 PM
In a sports industry polluted with me-first players who all just want money (not saying KG didnt want money) and "stats", KG is a dying breed of players that just play for love of the game.

Unfortunately, he's dying with it as well.

thesparky33
11-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Unfortunately, he's dying with it as well.

???

WSU Tony
11-25-2008, 05:15 PM
???

His behavior lately has been atrocious. He's turning into the AI mentality player yelling at refs, putting his hand in guys faces while they are dribbling while he's on defense and all the other antics he's been apart of since his ring.

The KG of minnesota is not the KG of the celtics.

Mauersota
11-25-2008, 05:36 PM
His behavior lately has been atrocious. He's turning into the AI mentality player yelling at refs, putting his hand in guys faces while they are dribbling while he's on defense and all the other antics he's been apart of since his ring.

The KG of minnesota is not the KG of the celtics.

KG was doing that crap to in MN maybe not to the degree as he is now but it just really didn't get talked or shown to much.

ryguy2k7
11-25-2008, 05:51 PM
I hope and pray that he ends up retiring as a Wolf.

but realisitically, if he keeps winning championships for 5 years as a celtic, it won't happen :(

and we better retire his number or i'll be pissed

tcman2007
11-25-2008, 07:37 PM
I hope and pray that he ends up retiring as a Wolf.

but realisitically, if he keeps winning championships for 5 years as a celtic, it won't happen :(

and we better retire his number or i'll be pissed

IMO, KG will NEVER retire as a T'Wolf. Just ain't gonna happen. I'd bet my life savings on it. The second the Celtics clinched the title, KG became synonymous with the Celtics Franchise. No one will ever remember K.G.'s years with the Wolves other than us Wolves fans. The media is to blame, IMO. As soon as KG hit a big market, he was EVERYWHERE. KG was always famous, but he has never been as big as he is now--not even close.

GOGOGOMEZ08
11-25-2008, 07:42 PM
damn i miss the days of marbury, gugliotta, garnett and i even miss the year of sprewell and cassel that was a fun year

tcman2007
11-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Yep. Let's just hope that the Wolves brass makes solid moves over the next 2 years. It could be the beginning of something wonderful or another huge disappointment.

PurpleJesus
11-25-2008, 08:22 PM
the funny thing about KGs new found fame is that he isnt nearly as good with boston as he was with the wolves, hes getting old, and is fastly on the decline, while he was here he was a top 5 player in the league. right now i could easily rattle 5 players off the top of my head better than him. CP3 LBJ Kobe Amare Wade.
stupid media, you shoulda put him everywhere when he had that hungry look in his eye, and when he was one of the best in the league.

KG has always played the same, cursing at people, hitting people, screaming at them, etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpgB7cN12i8

That thing with caulderon was completely uncalled for, but so were plenty of things he did in Mn, i cant believe the refs didnt call a taunting or technical on him for that. Think if rashad mccants did something like that.

tcman2007
11-26-2008, 01:07 PM
the funny thing about KGs new found fame is that he isnt nearly as good with boston as he was with the wolves, hes getting old, and is fastly on the decline, while he was here he was a top 5 player in the league. right now i could easily rattle 5 players off the top of my head better than him. CP3 LBJ Kobe Amare Wade.
stupid media, you shoulda put him everywhere when he had that hungry look in his eye, and when he was one of the best in the league.

KG has always played the same, cursing at people, hitting people, screaming at them, etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpgB7cN12i8

That thing with caulderon was completely uncalled for, but so were plenty of things he did in Mn, i cant believe the refs didnt call a taunting or technical on him for that. Think if rashad mccants did something like that.

Yeah, well K.G. plays less minutes with Boston compared to what he played with us. He's averaging close to eight minutes less per game. Besides, it doesn't matter what people's perception of who is among the top-5 players in the league--what matters is that K.G. has a title. That alone makes him look like a FAR better player...and I stress "look". But most people buy what the media says. If K.G. is getting much more attention now than he did before, it must mean that he's a much better player, right? Not necessarily.

As far as the refs being biased...well, aren't the refs ALWAYS biased towards championship teams? Just more of the same.

PurpleJesus
11-26-2008, 02:08 PM
that crap he pulled with calderon made me wanna puke, it was disgusting