PDA

View Full Version : 2009 NBA Draft

dirk206
11-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Believe me it's still very early, but with the way the team is playing (1-13 currently), I thought it wouldn't hurt to make this thread. The team definitely has a lot of holes, most notably at C, PF and PG. Here's a list of players I could see the Thunder drafting come next June:

Center:

1st choice-Hasheem Thabeet just because i've seen what he can do and he's gotten better with every season. He has the size and length to be an incredible shot blocker and rebounder. His offense is coming along and I'm anxious to see what he can do in his junior year. He'd definitely would instantly make the Thunder a better defensive team and improve the front court.
2nd Choice (at the moment): BJ Mullens just because none of us have seen what he can do yet and if he really is the real deal. If he does live up to the hype of being the next Chris Kaman, I would definitely bump him up over Thabeet. But will see, it wouldn't surprise me if he struggles a little bit like Kosta Koufos. BJ could eventually give us the offensive minded C we've lacked since probably Jack Sikma, from what i've seen he has an arsenal of post skills and is aggressive.

Other choices: Andrew Ogilvy, Josh Heytvelt, Jerome Jordan

Power Forward:

1st Choice: Blake Griffin pretty much does everything you could ask for in a PF, score and rebound. Very aggressive on the boards and a good athlete. People say that he plays in a weak conference but coming from a ZAG fan, I say inflated stats based on a weak conference is bullcrap. He'd give us the low post scoring threat we've badly needed and even out the offense so teams don't just collapse around Durant.

2nd Choice: Tyler Hansbrough is my second choice because based on stats, he is the best college bigman in my eyes. He gets hated on for not being a freak athlete, not being all that quick or explosive but he puts up monster #'s despite it which makes me love him even more. He has an arsenal of post moves, super aggressive and i believe he can make an impact in the NBA.

Other PF choices: Patrick Patterson, Earl Clark

Point Guard (Have a feeling Earl Watson won't be around much longer so i thought drafting another PG made sense):

1st Choice: Ricky Rubio is already a legend in Europe for playing at the highest level since he was what, 14 or 15? Then playing against Team USA and others in the Olympics, while holding his own shows he can play in the NBA in my eyes. He's what I think the Thunder need, a true, pass-first PG who can set up the likes of Durant and Green and whatever big name FA we sign in the off season.

2nd Choice: Patrick Mills, probably going to here some flack for this pick but
the guy can flat out score as we saw this when he dropped 13 & 20 points on Team USA in there 2 meetings. I' a little bias since I see him play my Zags in the WCC but if their is a knock on him, it's his lack of size and that he is more of a combo guard rather then a true PG.

Other choices at PG: Darren Collison, Ty Lawson, Brandon Jennings,
Jrue Holiday,

http://www.nbadraft.net/

http://hoopshype.com/draft.htm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft

cahawk
11-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Please refer to Donald Sterling, owner of the San Diego Clippers and see what he did with his #1 picks.

dirk206
11-23-2008, 08:02 PM
We'll believe me the sonics aren't to far behind when it comes to wasted 1st round picks, take a look:

2006: Mouhamed Sene
2005:Johan Petro
2004: Robert Swift

As far as the Clippers draft history, I'm confused as to what you mean because you guys have drafted pretty damn good, of course keeping these players on your team is another story. But a list of Eric Gordon, Al Thorton, Shaun Livingston, Chris Kaman, Chris Wilcox, Darius Miles, Quentin Richardson, Tyson Chandler (though you traded him immediately), and Lamar Odom is damn good. They may all not have lived up to their hype but turned out to be decent pros. Though Michael Olowoakandi and Yaroslav Korolev picks sting quite a bit.

phils07
11-23-2008, 08:25 PM
i really think u should go with blake griffin. now, i love hasheem thabeet, but griffin seems to be a better offensive complement to Durant. i know green is havin a solid year, but it simply is not enough.

it really sucks that this years draft sucks. even tho it may produce some good players, its nothing compared to next years possible draft, which would have been a much more fortuitous draft to select from seeing as the thunder will likely have a top 3 pick.

as a sixers fan, i think thabeet can be a much better version of dalembert. but since the team would not be that much better defensively if u drafted em, why not go with griffin? griffins rebounding and athleticism make him, in my opinion, NBA ready from day one.

i cant wait until this team has all the riff raff cleared out. people like wilcox, smith, watson, mason, they simply dont serve a purpose. even with them, u guys have a considerable amount of cap room. i dont know why anyone would want to sign with u, but im hoping someone takes some money to do it.

i dont see this team adding griffin or thabeet as being much better next year, so u might be looking at a top pick again next year. that would be beautiful. if u could get a top 3 this year, and maybe beat the odds and get the number one selection next year, u could get griffin AND john wall. that would be insane.

lets just say u get griffin, heres the lineup next year
1 - earl watson (blah, id rather u just start westbrook)
2 - durant
3 - green
4 - griffin
5 - petro

not good still. then after next year, lets say u get wall
1 - wall (a d rose clone, really really really good)
2 - durant (should be scoring 25 per)
3 - green (solid complement)
4 - griffin (rebounding the crap out of it)
5 - petro (blah)

really really really full of potential. the only hole would be at center. i really hope u guys can sign someone, anyone at this point because the stadium sells tickets yet the product is ugly. but if u get consecutive top 3 picks, it could really do well for the future. its gona be rough for a couple years, and i know no one likes hearing that, but the future will be pretty bright.

dirk206
11-24-2008, 07:53 AM
^Yeah I'm not sure what to expect out of Blake Griffin because I don't get to see many NCAA games over here in Japan, if he can be a Emeka Okafor clone,
I'd be happy, a guy who can give you a double-double every night.

pokesn8
11-24-2008, 06:06 PM
i can't stand the Sooners, but drfting Griffin makes a lot of sense... he's from OKC, he went to OU and he would fill the stands... just like Desmond Mason. sort of a home town hero.

dirk206
11-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Drafting hometown players just to bring in fans is not always the greatest of ideas, look at what the Charlotte Bobcats did when they drafted Sean May & Raymond Felton after UNC won the championship that year. Sean May is out of shape and sitting on the bench and Felton while good, is on the trading block and they drafted another PG in DJ Augustin.

phils07
11-25-2008, 11:46 AM
^Yeah I'm not sure what to expect out of Blake Griffin because I don't get to see many NCAA games over here in Japan, if he can be a Emeka Okafor clone,
I'd be happy, a guy who can give you a double-double every night.

its really early in the season, but id like to give u just an idea of how good he is (granted its college, but still).

hes averaging: 26 ppg, 19.8 boards, 2.8 assists, and 2.8 dimes. pretty incredible.

i think he will be better than emeka okafor. i think hes more of a more athletic carlos boozer than okafor. i just really hope u guys dont get screwed in the draft. the people with the worst record havent got the number one overall pick in a long time i think. that would be horrible because griffin is probably goin #1.

dirk206
11-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Yeahw e have couple of scenario's if we can't get the #1, hell, we can always make a run at Carlos Boozer when he hits free agency. Then probably nab a big like Mullens or Thabeet with are pick if we can't get Blake Griffin. Or we may just sign Boozer and not go after Griffin at all and go with a true C.

Carey
11-26-2008, 10:22 AM
I would like us to get Blake Griffin because he's simply the best player available if were are lucky enough to get that number one pick, We could go with him durant and green across the front line, most teams don't have legit centers anyway, then maybe come off the bench big, with the 2nd first round pick we get from the spurs if they finish out of the top 15 i think we should address the 2 guard spot, also a guy i really like in the late 1st/early 2nd is SG Dionte Christmas from temple, overall with three picks we can boost the overall talent of our team, also getting DJ White later will help, and also whenever they bring Serge Ibaka(which maybe should be sooner than later the way they are paying overseas) thats 2 1st round picks. We are taking are lumps now but the future looks pretty bright to me.

noturnormalhero
11-26-2008, 01:34 PM
I completely disagree on Hansbrough being considered one of the best PF's prospects to come out of the draft. Sure the kid is a stud in the NCAA but I can't for the life of me see him being productive in the NBA. I've had die hard UNC fans agree with me on this too. Blake Griffin definitely would compliment Durant more. Kid is just a beast down low. I've watched 2 games this year and he just plays at a high level.

As far as John Wall, i think it depends where he goes to college if he will be a one and done type player. If he ends up in the Miami :pray: which i hope he does, can't see him playing 1 year only.

With all the money OKC will have and realistically, players like Bosh/Amare/James/Wade in 2010, most likely will not be coming to OKC, they should look into grabbing the best leftovers. Wilcox, doesn't put effort in and i have no clue what's happened to Collison. They should look into Sean Williams from NJ for starters. Great defensive guy that rebounds and shot blocks (cheaper than Wilcox). David Lee from the Knicks is another young talented player that will be in Free Agency. Even at the PG position. Westbrook seem to playing well, but 2009 FA for PG include Andre Miller,Mike Bibby, Jason Kidd,and a few others. I believe OKC has two picks in the draft (off the top of my head). If you could snag a Blake Griffin or Thabeet that would be your best bet.

Some other big men not mentioned here would be:

Earl Clark out of Louisville, 6'10 PF.
BJ Mullens of Ohio State, 7'1 C.
Patrick Patterson of Kentucky,6'8 PF
Tony Woods of Wake Forest , 6'11 C.
A.J. Ogilvy of Vanderbilt , 6'10 C.
Cole Aldrich of Kanas, 6'11 C

sure there is more but that's just off the top of my head lol

CheeseOnMyHead
11-26-2008, 10:48 PM
They need an inside presence more than anything. Thabeet or Griffin would be ideal.

noturnormalhero
11-29-2008, 09:51 PM
They need an inside presence more than anything. Thabeet or Griffin would be ideal.

With a lottery pick and a top 20 pick, both are possible. DeAndre Jordan was projected to be a lottery pick and slipped down big time. Dorsey and even Dorell Arthur fell down deep too. Hibbert as well, not too high. You NEVER know. Top pick could be Griffin and Thabeet might be available still. Depending on the order of course and who picks where, i could see Thabeet going anywhere from 10-17

dirk206
11-29-2008, 10:54 PM
^Just watch the Thunder pull a textbook Sonics move and go international with that 2nd 1st round pick, it wouldn't surprise me.

noturnormalhero
12-03-2008, 12:30 PM
^Just watch the Thunder pull a textbook Sonics move and go international with that 2nd 1st round pick, it wouldn't surprise me.

LOL !! Wouldn't surprise me either.

Carey
12-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Let's hope the best, although from everything i've heard on Ibaka he's gonna be a good player....but i don't want to see another one

dirk206
12-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Yeah I understand down the line, drafting a international player and stashing him in Europe for a few years could have a huge payoff, but this team is in no position to do that. It needs NBA ready players right now, plus what signal is that sending to Kevin Durant and the rest of the team, yeah this team ain't playoff bound anytime soon, but still.

Carey
12-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Yea i agree...i think in the draft last year ibaka ceiling is higher than just about anyone we could have drafted at that spot and still be a good fit for the team....but i dont want to see us do it again....we are at the point where we have to start to raise the overall talent of this team.....we need a SG who can shoot and defend, A center to pair with Swift that can defend the paint, and more depth and talent at guard and small forward

dirk206
12-04-2008, 07:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftWatch-081204

Looks like BJ Mullens is having a harder time getting used to the NCAA then most people thought, if he's struggling this much to score against teams on the easier side of Ohio State's schedule, I'd say go back for your sophomore year.

Carey
12-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Yeah ur right.....maybe he'll adjust and get more comfortable as the year goes on, he's been one of the guys linked to us.

Hey what do you guys think of james harden? Think he'd b a good fit at the 2 for us?

dirk206
12-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Don't get me wrong, saying your the 2nd coming of Brandon Roy is a hell of a compliment for James Harden, but we don't need a SG. We need a PG, Russell Westbrook is doing a good job learning the PG position but I'm still not convinced he's a a true PG and I think that's what the Thunder need. But if they say James Harden is a complete PG will see, I'm make my judgement at the end of the year since i haven't seen him play before.

Carey
12-05-2008, 01:29 PM
I think westbrook is a pure pg....he wasnt the pg at ucla so he just doesnt have alot of experience at a big time level running team. I think he's coming nicely although he did frustrate me the other night in charlotte. He'll learn with experience when to pass and when to shoot but he has impressed me with how he is able to get us in our sets so far. I think there is going to be growing pains but eventually i think he can be in the top half of pg's in the league if not better.

As far James Harden i've only seem him once but he looks pretty good. I think he fits us as a 2 guard and allow d.wilkins to come off the bench. He can create his own shot pretty well, has a good body, and he can hit an open jump shot. He'll get open looks with durant getting extra attention and westbrook penetrating.

I think we have to get a 2 guard and also another C i like thabeet, we need shot blocking desperately

What do u guys think?

dirk206
12-05-2008, 06:51 PM
I think they'll go C before they go SG, especially if we have a top 3 pick. This team probably has the worst front court players in the NBA and most of them have been our 1st round picks, which is damn sad. Either that or we seriously make a push in FA at a low post threat and go another direction in terms of a player in the draft besides a PF or C.

Carey
12-08-2008, 01:18 PM
Yea ur right....I like to see thabeet in a thunder uniform because of his defensive impact...i also think we should try to keep swift and make them a tandem at the center spot.....thabeet to me is a can't miss because even if he never get's any better offensive, he still gonna be a All-NBA caliber defender. Him and a Swift would would make us much better defensively. Then with the second 1st round pick hopefully there is a sg that can defend and hit a open shot. Also i did that math and we will be around 30 million under the cap this coming offseason...i dont see anyone out there presti will throw major money at but maybe a second tier guy....also has anybody been paying attention to how well cj miles is playing in utah....its tough to watch know he could have been our starting 2 guard this year.

Let me know what u guys think

MooseWithFleas
12-08-2008, 08:21 PM
I dont see Thabeet translating to be a great player in the NBA. Griffin on the other hand...

westside51283
12-08-2008, 09:30 PM
you guys can forget about signing good free agents nobody is coming to oklahoma hahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carey
12-09-2008, 11:21 AM
1st

dirk206
12-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Yea ur right....I like to see thabeet in a thunder uniform because of his defensive impact...i also think we should try to keep swift and make them a tandem at the center spot.....thabeet to me is a can't miss because even if he never get's any better offensive, he still gonna be a All-NBA caliber defender. Him and a Swift would would make us much better defensively. Then with the second 1st round pick hopefully there is a sg that can defend and hit a open shot. Also i did that math and we will be around 30 million under the cap this coming offseason...i dont see anyone out there presti will throw major money at but maybe a second tier guy....also has anybody been paying attention to how well cj miles is playing in utah....its tough to watch know he could have been our starting 2 guard this year.

Let me know what u guys think

I think Thabeet would translate into a decent C in the NBA, but Griffin is going to translate into a possible All-Star so it depends on what position you want to fill, PF or C. I think this time last year, people were saying Roy Hibbert was the better pick out him and Thabeet and we all see how well Hibbert is doing. I think Thabeet is definitely the better player now, he's already a defensive beast and his offense game has improved greatly since his freshman year so only time will tell. Yeah, the CJ Miles thing is killing me too. The thing I'm worried about is what the hell is going to happen to Mouhamed Sene? The dude is still not getting any burn on the NBA level, if your going to sit him like that, for god sakes send him to the D-league. Seriously. If we do get that Swift/Thabeet frontcourt, it burries him even more on the bench. Also what the hell are we going to do with Johan Petro?
The guy is doing mediocre at best, they've given him plenty of minutes and he's started a good portion of the games, but yet he puts up **** #'s. I just don't know about him, keep in mind, he's put up his current #'s mostly as a starter, I can only imagine what they would be if he came off the bench:cry:

Carey
12-09-2008, 12:07 PM
1st of all if ur paying enough money people will come anywhere, obviously not the lebrons, wade's, or bosh's but durant, green and westbrook is the core so what we have to do is acquire pieces to compliment them and also allow them to grow.....2nd thabeet may never be a big time post scorer, hell he may never average more than 10 ppg in the nba, but he can be a double digit rebounder in the nba, he also can block and change shots on a night basis....bringing him in and adding some better perimeter defenders would make us alot better defensively, love blake griffin's game and would like to have him but i lean a little towards thabeet's defense because i think he could shave 10 points a game off our points allowed per game, maybe more with a couple perimeter defenders.

Carey
12-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Yea petro is a tease, he has the ability he just plays to soft and unaggresive to me. The last few games he has been better but i'd imagine when joe smith gets back he'll back on the bench. We have a team option on sene for next year so im wondering what they will do with him, he was d-league defensive player of the year and he is a little more athletic then i thought, but i jus dont know if they will keep him, swift and petro. And if thabeet was the pick then they definetely wouldn't. Hopefully by the end of the season they can get him so more minutes so we can see what we have

dirk206
12-09-2008, 11:23 PM
One thing Thabeet will have to do is bulk up and add like 20-25 pounds immediately when he gets into the NBA, yeah he's tall and lengthy, but the bigs in the NBA will just out muscle him. I'm wondering if he can have the same impact expected of Greg Oden, may not be a offensive force but he's a game changer on defense. The Swift and Thabeet front court would be quite a combo, but what's scary is if Mouhamed Sene can show a little promise and anything that even resembles a decent game, A Sene/Thabeet front court could be even scarier. The reason is because they are both incredibly tall, long and are supposed to be better defensively then offensively. Though one thing is offensively we may have a problem with 2 bigs who can't score all to well.

Carey
12-10-2008, 10:12 AM
Yea ur rite, thabeet will need to get up to about 270 similar to what dwight howard did when got into the league.....if he can get up to being that strong and athletic he can score points off that combination alone.....Yea i just don't know what were gonna do at the center spot, swift has a better offensive game so i think they'd like to keep him, and also swift is very good defensively. He played dwight howard very well when he was in there the first meeting. I just wish he could stay on the court. I see what marc gasol is doing in memphis and i think swift can have that same type of impact he jus cant stay on the court. I have no clue what will happen with petro and sene. Also we need perimeter defender's bad....westbrook and green to an extent are our only consistent defenders, well maybe weaver but he cant get on the floor, we have to address that. I like the idea of making a run at ariza, and also ime udoka to back up durant and bring defense. Tell me what u think

dirk206
12-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Ume Udoka is a good player and he'd be a good backup. though I think the spurs like him too and he fits well with their scheme, they may make a run to resign him. Trevor Ariza is another good player who I would love to have but like I said before, i think there will be a lot of interest in him. It wouldn't even surprise me if he got a contract somewhere in the $20-$25 million range. If you want to perimeter defenders, i think Raja Bell is a unrestricted FA after this year, he'd be a nice pickup. Bruce Bowen also is a unrestricted FA, but he's lost a step and i think the Spurs will bring him back. Also Antonio Daniels, though old could still help as well. I think one guy we should definitely go after is Ronnie Brewer, the guy is a probably one of the best perimeter defenders in the league and he' still 23, but he's restricted FA and Utah would have to be ******** not to match any offer for him. Also some guys out there who i think could help out the team are Marquis Daniels (scoring), Darko Milicic (if he comes cheap, would be a steal), Shaun Livingston (could be a nice backup PG, low risk high reward type of player), Luke Ridnour/Kyle Lowry (with Earl Watson probably gone we need a backup PG).

Carey
12-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Yea! they all would be some good choices. I think a player like ariza we would have to overpay but if he likes the system and the chance to start and expand his role he may sign but it would be hard unless we just really overpaid. I have a friend who is a spurs fan that thinks udoka would be a good fit for us but ur right i think the spurs would like to keep him as the eventual replacement to bruce bowen but if we overpayed a little we may have a shot. Keith Bogans is another guy i really like. I think we could have won at least 5 more games this year if we could have just defended better on the perimeter during crunch time in games....i really think weaver should be getting a little more time for that reason, it's not like d mason is lighting in up and he can't guard good perimeter scorers and neither can d wilkins. We have to address that position. I just wonder if we will do anything before the trade deadline. Maybe we move an expiring contract or get an expiring contract, maybe a get a young player in return. Because you have to think when swift gets healthy he'll get minutes and when dj white gets healthy he'll get minutes(have heard anything on when he'll be able to play?) so i think a player like joe smith could be the odd man out, or maybe he tries to get value for wilcox before the deadline? It's just alot that could happen

friarfan07
12-10-2008, 03:53 PM
get stephen curry in the 1st. trade westbrook, collison and second rounder to get bj mullens.

stephen curry
jeff green
kevin durant
chris wilcox/dj white
bj mullens

this may be ridiculous, but so is this team. they have no talent outside of 2 or 3 guys, so they need a complete re-do. the only guys untouchable are durant and green.

Carey
12-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Well at least u know its ridiculous.....Curry is good but westbrook is a good player who needs more experience....let's see if u still feel the same in february....2nd i've seen Mullens and he is dripping with potential but he is not even producing at a college level so would i trade westbrook and collison for him...no. We don't have alot of players that fit long term but we have the assets(close to 30 million under the cap coming up, 2 first round picks in the next two drafts) to turn it around. What fans have to understand is its not gonna be a quick fix....presti has shown that he is committed to winning long term and putting a team together that can compete for championships.....and that lineup u threw out simply won't

dirk206
12-10-2008, 06:52 PM
get stephen curry in the 1st. trade westbrook, collison and second rounder to get bj mullens.

stephen curry
jeff green
kevin durant
chris wilcox/dj white
bj mullens

this may be ridiculous, but so is this team. they have no talent outside of 2 or 3 guys, so they need a complete re-do. the only guys untouchable are durant and green.

Yeah, I know this year is a total loss but this trade would set us back 1 year just based on the fact that we groomed Westbrook for 1 whole year to be our PG and then you trade him for another PG who we have to groom. i know Stephen curry can score but the dude needs to add at least 20 pounds of muscle to his frame and I think he may struggle like Eric Gordon is. He plays the PG/SG position, he ain't really a true PG. If he played SG, he'd get struggle even worse then Eric Gordon, at least Gordon is physically ready to take on the elite SG's, though problem with both dudes is their undersized at the SG position so their going to be playing bigger/stronger guys every night. As far as Mullens, dude isn't coming along as quickly as I thought, he's struggling even worse then Kosta Koufos did his freshman year, plus he's another project, that's the last thing this team needs, another project big man. We already have 3 were still working on from previous drafts (sene, Swift, Petro).

dubh46
12-10-2008, 08:31 PM
I say go after Griffin by any means. If you have to trade up to get him, then do it. For those who have not seen him he is truly a beast. He will be the next great pf in the NBA. For 2 reasons other than the talent. 1) He is a LEADER. He stepped on the floor at OU and within a couple of games was the leader on the floor. This team sorely needs a leader. 2) He brings it every game. He does not take plays off or games off. He is an energy guy who can help right now.
Talent wise he is said to be farther ahead of Boozer when he was at Duke. Griffin can start the break and go coast to coast if need be, kind of like Lamar Odom. He has great handles and can hit the 3 ball. Not a great 3 point shooter but can hit them. Look at the teams who win in the playoffs and look at the main 2 spots. PG, and PF. Spurs, Celtics, Pistons (Rasheed is really a PF) Lakers did not make it out of the first round until Gasol who is a PF. If you have a dominant PF then they can make the person playing center better.
I also think they should make a move for a vet. center. You guys may talk crap but I say go after Brad Miller from the Kings. No he is not a defender but he has played against every big man the league has and still gets it done. 14pts 7-8 rbs but more important 4-5 asst, and experience. He can teach the young guys (whoever they keep) how to play instead of them learning on their own, and he comes off the books in 2 years so it is not like the Thunder would be stuck with him for years. I know Presti wont go the trade route but that is just something to think about.

Carey
12-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Yea it's gonna be interesting to see what we do....i know our record is awful but i see the potential....I reallly feel like if we turn the two first round picks in this draft into solid rotation players, get dj white back, make a smart signing or two that we can compete next year, then the year after with 2 more first round picks maybe compete for a playoff spot.

I also think we should try to bring serge ibaka over next year to keep from losing him to the competitive contracts over there......Dirk206 tell me what u think....and oh yea why did they stop runnig the offense last night in the last 4 or 5 mins and starting giving it to durant and moving out of the way!? lol

dirk206
12-11-2008, 01:00 PM
I think you won't see Serge Ibaka for at least another 2 years, if I remember correctly he hadn't developed any post moves that he could go to specifically during a game and he still needed to add quite a few pounds to his frame. He's still only 19, leaving him over in Europe for a few years isn't going to hurt, what would hurt is if you bring in a 19 year old kid who isn't nearly as ready to the NBA and he loses his confidence and he sits on the bench. Plus, I don't think he was playing against great competition before the draft, though i think he is now. Plus, I'm interested to see what kind of player he will be, I don't think he will be your prototypical PF/C, he has a ridiculous vertical i've heard he's a hell of an athlete, I'm hoping he turns into a player like Amare Stoudamire, that'd be sweet.

Carey
12-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Yea ur right....bringing him too early may crush his confidence, im just a lil nervous because of how the whole tiago splitter thing played out with the spurs, there paying him more than he could make as a nba rookie so he decided to stay there...And yea i heard ibaka's vertical is off the charts and i also heard he's developing a mid range jumper and has decent range. It's tough to find info on how he's doing this season though. I also heard dj white is still a ways away from coming back this year, it would b nice to see him at some point this year....have you heard any possible trades?

friarfan07
12-11-2008, 03:17 PM
westbrook wasn't really a true point in college either tho, was he?

yeah like i said, i don't expect my ideas to happen. but it would be exciting, and this team certainly needs to do whatever it can to acquire a decent big.

Carey
12-11-2008, 03:44 PM
No because he had collison, an all-american pg on the roster, the only attribute stephen curry has on westbrook is he's a better shooter...and that's not a knock on curry, he's a really good player but westbrook is really good as well and will only get better with experience. I think he can be a top ten pg in the league. Agenda number 1 was to get financial responsibility whih we will reap the benefits of this coming offseason. Presti will add quality pieces thru the draft, free agency and maybe trades this offseason. We'll be just fine. Besides what Boston did last year there are no quick fixes in this league. You have to be patient and stick to ur plan and that's what presti is doing. He wants long term success and wants to compete for championships, and quick fixes jus lead to quick playoff exits. but i do see where your coming from.

dirk206
12-13-2008, 12:42 PM
While i'm totally down for going after a possible big in the draft, though still very weary, I'm wondering if OKC is also going to look into signing a veteran big in the offseason. Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Shaq (doubt it), Darko Milicic (like I stated earlier), Brad Miller, or Brendan Haywood would be decent pickups.

friarfan07
12-13-2008, 05:45 PM
^ i think big z would fill in nicely. he has good hands and has worked well with a similar scorer to durant in lebron. lol obviosuly lebron's much better at this point, but at least they're comparable.

phils07
12-15-2008, 06:05 AM
i dont know why u guys keep trashin Westbrook. hes doing great ever since he was inserted into the starting lineup. hes basically a rondo clone, but possibly better. rondo is great, westbrook could be even better from his offensive capabilities but still be a great defender.

if green is playin the 4, what do u do if u draft griffin? is durant goin back to the 2? i hope not. green aint playing as a 2. i know i previously said u should draft griffin if u have the chance, but the more i think about it the more i like Thabeet. do u know how hard it is to find a center like him? very hard. u cant keep drafting unproven foreign centers or that idiot robert swift. he is doing really good and has 3 years of college under his belt. and the best part is: he is improving. his rebound rate is great this year. the blocks are always there. and i dismiss the notion that he wont be impactful on offense. if he scores 10 points per at around 55 percent from the field, thats freakin perfect as long as hes holdin it down on the defensive end.

i like my previous comparison of him to a better version of sam dalembert. thats just a solid center. and hed still have a lot of potential. therefore, i have changed my mind as to who u should draft if u get a top 3 pick. i think u should go with thabeet. u get rid of all the nonCenters u have in petro, sene, swift, and just all the crap in a few years. get wilcox outta here. all the scrubs go. then u have all the money in the world to sign somebody. ive seen thunder games, the fans love it, the team plays hard, and u guys have money to spend, SOME free agent will go there. like someone else said, it wont be lebron/wade/bosh, but someone will go there cuz u guys have money, a great fanbase, and a good core of durant/green/westbrook.

heres a projection of the starters after next draft
Westbrook
Black hole in the shooting guard area (this can be addressed. might i suggest trying to acquire JR smith???)
Durant
Green
THAAAbeeeetT!
thats pretty good. plus it will be incredibly fun to watch. with durant, green, and westbrooks growing offensive capabilities, i think u should go with thabeet to anchor the lane. again, i know im flip flopping but there is merit considering the Positional situation with regard to Jeff Green/Durant. and Thabeet will be good in my opinion. i can easily see him averaging around 8 points, 9 boards, and 2.5 blocks in his rookie year. and his ceiling would be around 14 points, 12 boards, and 4.5 blocks. thats awesome. i know griffins great, but u need some D and ive already cited the positional problem.

phils07
12-15-2008, 06:09 AM
While i'm totally down for going after a possible big in the draft, though still very weary, I'm wondering if OKC is also going to look into signing a veteran big in the offseason. Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Shaq (doubt it), Darko Milicic (like I stated earlier), Brad Miller, or Brendan Haywood would be decent pickups.

i wouldnt like any of these acquisitions. ud be overpaying for a position that could be filled thru the draft or via trade. all of these players are either washed up, injury prone, bad, overpaid, or just plain average. why go in that direction?

dirk206
12-15-2008, 07:53 AM
^We'll considering we are getting nothing from our PF & C's on our team, I believe any of those guys would be an upgrade at those positions. Realistically, we'd be better off playing our PG's, SG's, or SF's at those positions, hell, at least we'd probably get some offensive output. I admit we may have to overpay a bit to get these players, but it wouldn't hurt to have some veteran players on the team, you have to have a balance of young and veteran players. Plus, if it's a 2-3 year contract, it wouldn't hurt us all that much and honestly, what do you expect us to spend all this cap space on? Believe me you are dreaming if you think we are going to get Boozer or some other high price free agent, as far as trade, what do we have on our team that anybody would want or value? As far as the draft, yeah we are going to go that route but their's only so much young talent can get you immediately, I was thinking you could sign a few veteran players to teach the young guys.

dirk206
12-15-2008, 07:56 AM
i dont know why u guys keep trashin Westbrook. hes doing great ever since he was inserted into the starting lineup. hes basically a rondo clone, but possibly better. rondo is great, westbrook could be even better from his offensive capabilities but still be a great defender.

if green is playin the 4, what do u do if u draft griffin? is durant goin back to the 2? i hope not. green aint playing as a 2. i know i previously said u should draft griffin if u have the chance, but the more i think about it the more i like Thabeet. do u know how hard it is to find a center like him? very hard. u cant keep drafting unproven foreign centers or that idiot robert swift. he is doing really good and has 3 years of college under his belt. and the best part is: he is improving. his rebound rate is great this year. the blocks are always there. and i dismiss the notion that he wont be impactful on offense. if he scores 10 points per at around 55 percent from the field, thats freakin perfect as long as hes holdin it down on the defensive end.

i like my previous comparison of him to a better version of sam dalembert. thats just a solid center. and hed still have a lot of potential. therefore, i have changed my mind as to who u should draft if u get a top 3 pick. i think u should go with thabeet. u get rid of all the nonCenters u have in petro, sene, swift, and just all the crap in a few years. get wilcox outta here. all the scrubs go. then u have all the money in the world to sign somebody. ive seen thunder games, the fans love it, the team plays hard, and u guys have money to spend, SOME free agent will go there. like someone else said, it wont be lebron/wade/bosh, but someone will go there cuz u guys have money, a great fanbase, and a good core of durant/green/westbrook.

heres a projection of the starters after next draft
Westbrook
Black hole in the shooting guard area (this can be addressed. might i suggest trying to acquire JR smith???)
Durant
Green
THAAAbeeeetT!
thats pretty good. plus it will be incredibly fun to watch. with durant, green, and westbrooks growing offensive capabilities, i think u should go with thabeet to anchor the lane. again, i know im flip flopping but there is merit considering the Positional situation with regard to Jeff Green/Durant. and Thabeet will be good in my opinion. i can easily see him averaging around 8 points, 9 boards, and 2.5 blocks in his rookie year. and his ceiling would be around 14 points, 12 boards, and 4.5 blocks. thats awesome. i know griffins great, but u need some D and ive already cited the positional problem.

I still don't know about Jeff Green, he is a tweener to me, I don't know whether to play him at the 4 or 3 or what to be honest. If he could become a Antawn Jamison type player at the 4, that would be awesome but will see.

Carey
12-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Thats the exact comparison i thought of with Jeff Green...but i think he has a better handle and is a better passer and defender. I really feel like he can be a guy that can get u 20 a night, 7 to 8 rbs, 4 to 5 ast, play good defense and create mismatches on the floor....I was proud of the way we competed in san antonio last night. I think people got to see glimpses of what kd and green can do at those forward spots. The more i watch us the more i can picture thabeet in there defending the paint....but u know if we somehow get the 1st pick and blake griffin is there then we will have to deal with the backlash of not taking the hometown guy #1. So personally i hope we get a pick somewhere in between 2 and 5 and thabeet falls in our lap. But even if we are lucky enough to get the 1st pick maybe we could trade down, get thabeet and still get some value. Just what i think we should do let me know what u guys think?

Carey
12-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Oh also i heard some earl watson for jerry stackhouse rumors yesterday, what do u think

friarfan07
12-15-2008, 04:41 PM
^ eh, might as well. it wouldn't improve a whole lot, but it would be a decent scoring addition.

Carey
12-15-2008, 05:54 PM
Yea it's def not a major move, or even a long term move, but would help a lil this season

dirk206
12-15-2008, 08:28 PM
It definitely help my Mavs out a lot and is Jerry Stackhouse's contract up after the year?

Carey
12-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Well it's partially guaranteed for next year for like 2 million from what i heard so it's manageable. But i was reading that because jj barea has developed they may not see the need.

Also i dig what ur saying on the Thabeet vs. Griffin argument, and its a tough call. Griffin seems like the more sure bet to be a really good but he would be playing as an undersized 5, Thabeet can be special defensively but is more a gamble. I love a frontline of Griffin, Green and KD offensively, but defensively i need to see him more to see how he defends in the post and what type of shot blocker he is. I love Thabeet defensively but how well will he develop? I guess i jus talked myself into it, Griffin it Is!!! We would still need to get a big in there to defend the paint but when i really look at it Griffin, Green, and Kd would be a hell of a frontcourt

dirk206
12-16-2008, 12:01 PM
**** your right, I was thinking of playing Blake Griffin at the 4 but then yeah Jeff Green plays the 4 as well. I think Blake Griffin would have trouble playing the 5. Though you compare him to Emeka Okefor who plays the 5 for Charlotte, they are both 6'10" & around 250lbs. Emeka's averaging about 13PPG and 11 rebounds and 1.6 blocks. If Blake Griffin could give us a little more offense then 13PPG, i'd be happy. i look at it this way, you put him at the 5, he'll be undersized but he can play there, but he can be a helluva lot more productive at the 4.

Carey
12-16-2008, 12:53 PM
Yea it's tough but you've sold me. We are just gonna have to find options off the bench at center but those 3 in the frontcourt would be a matchup nightmare. It would also give us players who can play multiple spots, And i think we play are best with a post presence. When Wilcox is in there and he is able to get it going our offense does run smoother. Maybe we could find a veteran center to give us good minutes, rebound and defend the paint. But of course thats all assuming we can get the first pick

phils07
12-16-2008, 07:49 PM
heres a suggestion not considered yet...TRADING the pick. some veteran talent could be acquired if u get the number one or 2 overall pick.

lets the positions
Westbrook
Non existent 2 guard
Durant
Green
Non existent Center

by my evaluation u need a 2 and 5. i dont like the idea of drafting Griffin to play the 5. he simply has never played as 5 and wont in the NBA. so how many teams would like adding griffin? a lot. and theyd give up some quality for it.

here are some ideas just off the top of my head. the first im thinking of i dont even like much because of his one dimensionalness but a trade for Michael Redd. that would fill ur 2 guard spot and ud just have to throw in some contracts to make it work or since ur under the cap u wouldnt even have to include much. but since his contract's annual salary is pretty high, i dont know much ud want him considering hes gona be 30 and has had some injury probelms i think. but i know hed be a great fit on offense.

another idea is sending the pick to the suns for JRich. i know this deal most very recently went down, but i dont know if theyll stick to it if it doesnt work out. theyre getting old and they might want to blow it up and go young with their drafting of robin lopez and rumored trading of steve nash. i think that would be a nice deal because JRich is great on offense and is 2 years younger than michael redd. contracts are similar but it wont matter because ur 2 and 3 combo would be devastating.

another idea, possibly from my sixers bias, is a trade to the sixers for sam dalembert. the guys good, its as simple as that. trading the number one or 2 for him would be a nice trade because we have a possible replacement in speights or a drafting of thabeet and u guys get a legit defensive center that can run and is very atheltic. i know what ur thinking, why not draft thabeet? and i agree with that statement because i think thabeet is gona be a stud, but its not guaranteed. with dalembert u know what ur getting. regarding the impending free agencies of big names, i dont really know if u can compete with other bigger markets. and since there isnt a whole lotta centers on the coming years or next years list of free agents, why not go with a proven center who might be available?

my last suggestion: signing Joe Johnson in 2010. that would be awesome right? u get ur 2, u keep the pick and let it be griffin or thabeet, and u still have durant/westbrook/green core in tact. ive been hearing questions surrounding jeff green, and frankly i agree with them. i have no idea how good he can be...but he appears solid already. so by then all u ahve to do resign durant and green to their second contracts after the 2010-2011 season. so ud have westbrook/johnson/durant/green/THABEET in my opinion. could also be a trade of jeff green...which now that i think about it might be better. who knows? but im really liking the idea of concentrating all ur efforts on signing joe johnson, who i think doesnt have enough star power to have the ego in not signing with OKC. although, he did spurn the suns to become the man in atlanta. hmmm..we'll see.

the more i think about it the more i like my previous idea of going after J sqaured. the problem is the indefinite nature of waiting on a free agent. unless he loves the core of westbrook durant and green, id think ud have to overpay to get em. but whats wrong with that? ur owners are definitely going to spend money and Joe is really good. and by then, u never know how good westbrook durant and green have become. then u can add thabeet to that...ud have every position filled and just have to wait for Joe to round out ur roster. from my view, that team would be awesome. the scoring would be great. at least 13 outta westbrook (this is if he basically doesnt develop much, aka worst case scenario), 22 from JJ, 26 from durant (i would say more but i dont want to start a ruckus by saying 32. plus the addition of J squared would cut into his scoring), maybe around 16 for green (a very efficient 16 tho), and around 10 for thabeet.

whatever the outcome, the possibilities are great. it all depends on the ownerships willingness to spend, the free agents willingness to come, and upcoming decisions that need to be made about the 2009 draft pick (im sorry to say 2010 as well, but it looks that way...meaning ull have another top 5 pick in the draft after the upcoming one. that will depend on the development of durant and green and westbrook on D more than anything)

good times.

dirk206
12-17-2008, 06:59 AM
I honestly can't remember the last time I saw the #1 or #2 pick being shipped in a trade of any sort, teams usually hold onto those picks usually because those players are future stars or building blocks for a team. When you get down to #3 pick and higher, i mean we saw the #3 pick OJ Mayo get traded from Minnesota to Memphis for #5 pick Kevin Love. that kind of trade I can see the Thunder making if they also get some players back. If I wanted a SG, at this point I'd rather draft James Harden then go and trade for Michael Redd, if we wanted to win right now we'd go Michael Redd but of course that's not the case. Jason Richardson I like as a player but I think he fits perfectly with the Phoenix suns and with how old that team is, he is a breath of fresh air and the Suns would have to be idiots to even consider trading him. Plus, even if he doesn't work out he'd still probably work out better then the trade for Shaq and the Suns aren't even considering trading him.. As for Samuel Dalembert, I love his defense but a guy with averages of 5.8 PPG, 8.3 rebounds and 1.4 blocks warranting a top 3 pick by himself anyways is ridiculous. He's good but he ain't great, throw in Louis Williams and will talk. Your suggestion of going after Joe Johnson in 2010 was a good idea, I think teams could quite possibly overlook Joe Johnson with all the other big name players that are FA, compared to some of the contracts they will get we could quite possibly save a few dollars. Also another guy who could opt out of his contract and become a FA in 2010 who I think could help the Thunder is Tyson Chandler, nice C who brings a very nice defensive presence to the team. But if we draft a C in the 09 draft, then I doubt we go after him. Also we should look into the restricted FA pool in 2010, guys like Josh Boone and LaMarcus Aldridge are FA, I doubt they will leave their respective teams but if we offer a big contract, their teams may be hesitant to match.

Carey
12-17-2008, 10:15 AM
I think a perfect scenerio for us is to get Blake Griffin or Hasheem Thabeet w/the 1st #1 pick, With the 2nd #1 pick try to grab a 2 guard like a Demar Derozan, Wayne Ellington, maybe try to trade up for James Harden, Also i think i've mentioned it before...i like Dionte Christmas, and depending on how well the spurs finish he could be available late 1st early 2nd. As far as secound round i think it will be a good opportunity to grab a pg to eventually replace watson like aj price, jeremy pargo, or maybe even aj abrams if he shows he can play the point and defend because adding him as a shooter would be real nice. Either way we should leave with 3 rotation caliber players.

Carey
12-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Also i just read that golden st. maybe looking to move marcus williams for not much in return in order to make room for monta ellis, maybe we should take a look at him

dirk206
12-17-2008, 11:30 AM
^I don't think James Harden will be their but a lot of good players will be their mid-late 1st round. I think Jeremy Pargo or Ty Lawson could even fall into the early 2nd round and would be steals. Also what do you guys think about reuniting Russell Westbrook with his fellow backcourt mate in Darren Collison?I think he'd be a very nice PG to add to our team? Also another scenario to think about is this, if we draft Hasheem Thabeet to play C (though I still want Blake Griffin) and then if Tyler Hansbrough is still on the board when we are using are 2nd 1st round pick. Would you want to draft him to sure sure up are PF position? A combo of Thabeet and Hansbrough as our frontline would be pretty damn good but I'm not sure if he will be their late 1st round.

dirk206
12-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Also i just read that golden st. maybe looking to move marcus williams for not much in return in order to make room for monta ellis, maybe we should take a look at him

I like Marcus Williams and I wish a team would give him a chance to play but I just don't think the Thunder need him right now. He's a low risk-high reward type guy but honestly with Watson as a backup PG, I think Williams would be a 3rd string PG and really wouldn't have all that much playing time. He can score, but his shooting is horrible. That is the one knock on him but given playing time, I think he could really help a team.

Carey
12-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Yea we would def have to try to trade up to get harden, and yea id luv to see collison as a back up to westbrook, he can shoot, plays great d, and handles the ball well. As far as hansbrough i think dj white is a better player so id rather let him get healthy and develop into the 4 off the bench. The thing with marcus williams is, is he a upgrade to earl? could that cause the trade of earl? Talent wise he's better but consistency, attitude, defense could hit fit in? From what i read golden st. will have to either do that or just let somebody go, they have alot of young talent so either way we need to be paying attention

dirk206
12-17-2008, 01:52 PM
^I think at this point Earl Watson is better hands down but given time Marcus Williams could become a better player. I can understand looking to pick up a young talent like Marcus Wiliams to add to your team, but this team is barely cracking a 100 PPG and adding a PG who can't hit a jump shot is a very sketch idea in my book. I'm really up in the air about this idea. As far as Hansbrough, I'm not sure if I would say DJ White is the better player. I think defensively, White is the better player though both are aggressive players. But offensively, Hansbrough is the better player. I think a lot of people are sleeping on Tyler Hansbrough when it comes to whether he can make that transition to the NBA, I honestly think he will be solid not great but solid in the NBA.

friarfan07
12-17-2008, 04:10 PM
^I think at this point Earl Watson is better hands down but given time Marcus Williams could become a better player. I can understand looking to pick up a young talent like Marcus Wiliams to add to your team, but this team is barely cracking a 100 PPG and adding a PG who can't hit a jump shot is a very sketch idea in my book. I'm really up in the air about this idea. As far as Hansbrough, I'm not sure if I would say DJ White is the better player. I think defensively, White is the better player though both are aggressive players. But offensively, Hansbrough is the better player. I think a lot of people are sleeping on Tyler Hansbrough when it comes to whether he can make that transition to the NBA, I honestly think he will be solid not great but solid in the NBA.

when i think of hansbrough this year and what he could bring to the nba, i always think of kevin love's draft stock last year. the knock was his lack of athleticism, size, and speed. i wasn't sure he'd be successful in the nba without these qualities, but look at him now. though he is nowhere near the scoring machine he was at ucla, he is a rebounding monster. that is something this team has sorely needed since i'd say fortson, who wasn't spectacular but was a form of an inside presence this team desperately needs.

so i think hansbrough would be similar to kevin love in terms of his role in the nba and maybe for our team. though his scoring would go way down (i think he'll struggle even more than love in the nba on account of his awkward deliveries while shooting, which an average nba big will be able to block more often than not), his tenaciousness at rebounding would probably transfer over. i think he would help out, but i'd like to go with a guy with more athleticism, even though this team seems to draft a project big with endless athleticism every season and it never works out. that's why they need to go after thabeet, griffin or mullens. i see all of them as having potentially much better careers than hansbrough, who will still be decent, just not dominant like he is at unc.

Carey
12-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Yea im kinda skeptical myself, mainly because he can't shoot but it could be worth the gamble if we dont give up anything. As far as tyler, i have love for the dude cuz he plays hard and he's physical....i jus think that at 6'7'', and questionable athletic ability and fundamentals(not that he can't improve)im not sure if he can make a big impact....i think he can be a solid bench player for 10 years in the league. It's gonna be interesting to see where he's gonna go

dirk206
12-18-2008, 12:45 AM
Also is it me or does anybody see Brandon Jennings stock dropping a little bit since he's been struggling a little bit in Europe? If he's there mid-late 1st round, he may be worth taking. On another note, we've been talking about getting a SG, one guy who I believe for sure will be one and done is Tyreke Evans out of Memphis. He's a good player, though I think he should definitely stay in school for another year but if he comes out he's another guy I'd like to get. He can shoot but he isn't the greatest athlete in the world.

Carey
12-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Yea i hear he's only averaging like 5 pts a game there but i think he's getting valuable experience and i think he'll be better for it next year. And yea i really like tyreke evans too. He kind of reminds me of oj mayo, he doesnt quite have the poise or floor game that oj does but who does a that age, oj shouldn't even have it lol. I think he would be really good for us because he could have room to grow with kd, j.green, and westbrook already there. I wonder where he would fall if he does? We need the spurs to do well and make the playoffs but we need them to get as low as a seed as possible, the pick is top 15 protected, if they were an 8th seed and we got the 16th pick that would be sweet! but i doubt it. The more i think about it i think aj abrams would be an interesting 2nd round pick providing he can play the point, and guard. We have definetely got to address perimeter shooting.

dirk206
12-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Yeah with Brandon Jennings playing in Europe, I'm not sure if it's hurting him or making him better. He's going from being the best player possibly in his high school class to just an average player on his team at best and that could hurt him psychologically. Though it may also be making him a better player playing against stronger, faster players in Europe. Pretty much throwing him into the fire and learning on the job as he plays. AJ Abrams would be a nice guy to add, he's a senior and definitely would be ready to contribute. But what i'm worried about is can he get other players involved and the fact that he is a scoring PG. His assists stat is not all that great but hell if he fell to the 2nd round, he'd be a steal.

Carey
12-18-2008, 01:22 PM
Yea abrams definetely would have to work on his pg skills, but can you imagine him spotting up with the kd and jeff will get from defense, and westbrook penetrating....i see him as being a janerro pargo type of player in the league....as far as jennings i hear different reviews from him, some say he's great, some say he's overrated and i havent seen him to know. As long as we cant get better shooting and defense then wilkins and mason, and some sort of shot blocking and post presence i think we'll be fine

friarfan07
12-18-2008, 03:49 PM
i think clearly this team has to go big first, though. this is sad considering they've needed a big for all these years and have failed to get a decent one in all those drafts.

if the SG from memphis can be had also but after we address center, dirk, then by all means. personally, i just don't feel comfortable addressing other needs when the bigs are as bad as they are for this team.

Carey
12-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Yea i agree, but SG is definetely 1A. But yea it would be nice to get some kind of post presence, and defensive presence

dirk206
12-18-2008, 09:55 PM
^I think the Thunder are going to have to address the bigs on their team 1st. Mouhammed Sene is a restricted FA (50/50 on what to do with him, he's never gotten a shot to prove his worth), Steven Hill is gone, Robert Swift (I'd like to keep), Johan Petro (I'm gotten to the point where he's not worth keeping around, he had his chances to start and didn't do anything), Nick Collison (obviously keep around, though he's been struggling mightly this year), DJ White (will keep him, see if he was worth trading for), and Chris Wilcox (I think he'd be better utilized starting but with us drafting big men in the draft, i just don't see that happening, may need to trade him). I'm just saying we can't continue to keep all our 1st round busts on this team, were eventually going to have to swallow are pride and get rid of a few, especially if we draft one in the 09 draft.

dirk206
12-19-2008, 06:31 AM
I say if were going big either draft Blake Griffin or Hasheem Thabeet, if both are off the table go SG or PG. I still think BJ Mullens would be a huge project just like the other guys, though he would have the benefit of going to college 1 year and isn't a complete mystery. W know he's struggling right now and if he's struggling now in college imagine what's going to happen when he comes to the NBA when the comp is 2X better. SO if those 2 are off the table go in another direction and go hard at signing a decent big in FA to a 2-3 year contract.

Carey
12-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Yea we're going to have to be very careful on what we do as far as bigs. Previous management has made some big time mistakes in the past and hopefully presti is a better judge of talent, which i think he is. Kd was a no brainer, westbrook was a little out of the box but i think that was a score. Dj White and Serge Ibaka are yet to be seen. By acquiring all these picks, Presti has put a premium on building thru the draft so it's very important that he makes those 2 1st rounders in 09" and 2010 count.

Carey
12-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Hey we just signed nenad kristic to an offer sheet, 3yrs/15 million. I Like the move Thoughts?

dirk206
12-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Very smart move, If he's completely healthy, he is a very good big man and signing for only $15 million over 3 years is very reasonable. I think this is an awesome signing.

Carey
12-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Yea this is really good move. If he is back to the level he was before the injury this is a very good piece. And he is only 25. If he gets over here and plays at that level it fills a hole before the offseason. I also heard DJ White is about to go visit with team doctors, could mean he's on the way back? This would also be really good for us

friarfan07
12-22-2008, 05:52 PM
btw i finally got to watch thabeet of uconn play. i gotta say, i wasn't at all impressed. he can't score, fouls too much, and got outrebounded and outplayed in general by a guy who is a good 5'' shorter than he is in austin daye.

i don't want him. he's slow and uncoordinated.

Carey
12-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Yea he's still inconsistent, but it was just one game, he's very productive defensively more often then not, which my appeal to him. And being a Uconn fan i've seen him alot since freshman year. The question now is if new jersey doesnt match and we get krstic does that change what we do on draft day.

friarfan07
12-22-2008, 06:29 PM
is nenad krstic any good? don't know anything about him.

Carey
12-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Yea, before he tore his acl he was avg. 16 pts and 6 rbs a game for the nets. He's a good shooter, a pick and pop kind of guy, with sneaky athleticism, and a little post game.

friarfan07
12-23-2008, 04:54 PM
^ sounds like a good compliment for KD if he can regain his pre-injury form.

Carey
12-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Yea i really think so....If he can at the very least be a productive rotation player i will be pleased but if he can regain his form from before the acl injury which from what im hearing he is then we just picked up a starting center without giving anything up.

dirk206
01-15-2009, 04:55 PM
With a subpar freshman class, a weak international crop and a lack of star potential, the 2009 NBA draft is shaping up to be the weakest in years. And NBA scouts are looking for bright spots wherever they can find them.

This year, the one shining light is that the draft is chock-full of excellent point-guard prospects. A whopping nine point guards are currently ranked in our top 30, and 14 are ranked in the top 60. As many as eight of those point guards could even crack the lottery this year.

For this week's Stock Watch, we've spoken with numerous GMs and NBA scouts to get their take on the top 10 players at one of the most important positions in the draft.

1. Ricky Rubio, Spain
Rubio has been on NBA radar screens for years. But it was his solid play against Team USA in the Olympics that convinced NBA scouts and players that he had the goods to make it in the league. A wrist injury kept him out of action for the first month of the season, but he's slowly finding his way on the court. His scoring is down, but his assists are up; he recorded an impressive 12 assists in his most recent game.

While there are legitimate questions about Rubio's draft eligibility this year -- he has a large buyout with his team DKV Joventut -- I'm told he will likely declare for the draft and come to the NBA as long as he's a top-three pick. Given the need for point guards at the top of the draft, that seems like a safe bet.

2. Jrue Holiday, UCLA
Holiday isn't even playing the point for UCLA. But neither did Russell Westbrook, who was drafted No. 4 in the 2008 draft and is now running the point for the Thunder.

While Holiday's game isn't flashy, he has the complete package of athleticism, basketball IQ and defensive tenacity that scouts love. He currently looks like he could go anywhere from 4 to 10 on draft night if he declares.

3. Stephen Curry, Davidson
Curry might be the most controversial player on this list. Some scouts don't believe he's a point guard. Others worry about his diminutive stature or his lack of explosiveness as an athlete. Still others fret about some of Curry's disappearing acts against quality teams. However, no one doubts that Curry's shooting ability, basketball IQ and clutch play -- combined with an excellent basketball pedigree -- make him a player that will likely be drafted in the lottery.

There's been talk that the Bobcats could be the club that covets him (and the seats he'd fill) the most … but it's way too early for that speculation. Besides, you'd think MJ and company would have learned by now that drafting players with local or marketing appeal (e.g., Raymond Felton, Sean May and Adam Morrison) doesn't help much if they're not going to be stars.

4. Brandon Jennings, Italy
Jennings took a huge risk by bypassing college and going straight to Europe. To date, the experiment has had a mixed bag of results. On the positive side, Jennings is playing on an excellent team in a talented league. The experience has been priceless. On the flip side, Jennings hasn't exactly been lighting up the competition over there. He's been improving lately, but not to the point that it's clear he's an elite prospect.

Many scouts still believe Jennings is the best point-guard prospect in the draft based on pure talent. But his study-abroad trip makes it tough to tell whether he's as bad as his stats sometimes suggest, or whether the brilliance of his game is just somehow lost in translation.

Workouts will be the key to where Jennings ultimately gets drafted. The range is still pretty wide open. No one would be shocked if he were a top-five pick. Nor would anyone be surprised if he slipped into the mid-first round.

5. Willie Warren, Oklahoma
Warren has quietly become one of the top freshmen in the country. Scouts have been impressed with his combination of size, athleticism and ability to score. While there is a legitimate question about what Warren's true position is, the truth is he has the size to play multiple positions in the NBA.
If Oklahoma goes deep in the tournament, Warren might end up cracking the lottery.

6. Jonny Flynn, Syracuse
Flynn is the little engine that could. His toughness and fearlessness have scouts buzzing. He has hit a bit of a slump lately, but earlier in the season many scouts and a few GMs began mentioning him as a lottery pick, despite his lack of size and questionable defensive ability.
Right now he's looking like a potential mid-first-round pick.

7. Jeff Teague, Wake Forest
Teague is the fastest riser on the board. He has been on a tear lately and has led Wake Forest to an undefeated record, with huge wins over BYU and North Carolina. He's averaging over 30 points a game in his past three outings and has shown he can score from anywhere. One minute he's nailing a 3; the next he's taking it to the basket for the bucket or a foul.

While scouts fear he's more of a scorer than a distributor, it hasn't affected his stock with the way he's been playing. He has moved up to No. 18 on our big board and could continue to rise into the lottery if he keeps this up.

8. Ty Lawson, North Carolina
Poor Ty Lawson. He's had one of the most volatile stock ratings of any player we've ever tracked. One minute scouts think he might be a lottery pick. The next, scouts have him on the first-round bubble.

Lawson has been excellent for most of the season, but after Teague abused him in a rare Tar Heels loss, you could hear the air begin to escape from Lawson's bubble. While he still has the talent to crack the lottery, it will take a brilliant performance in the NCAA tournament -- something he hasn't been able to pull off in the past -- to convince an NBA team to hand over the keys to him.

9. Patrick Mills, St. Mary's (Calif.)
Mills is still basking in the rave reviews he earned this summer while playing for Australia in the Olympics. However, his numbers at St. Mary's are good, but not stellar. His high turnover rate and poor shooting percentage have dipped his stock back onto the first-round bubble.

10. Darren Collison, UCLA
Collison has to be struggling with the idea that for the second straight year an NBA team might draft a player that sits behind him on the depth chart at UCLA. Still, Collison continues to do his thing.

He has terrific speed and has improved as a shooter. But his smallish stature and questionable floor leadership have him stuck on the first-round bubble.

Other point-guard prospects in the top 100: Nick Calathes, Florida; Eric Maynor, Virginia Commonwealth; Sherron Collins, Kansas; Kemba Walker, UConn, Curtis Jerrells, Baylor; Jeremy Pargo, Gonzaga; Nando De Colo, France; Tyshawn Taylor, Kansas; A.J. Price, UConn; Courtney Fortson, Arkansas; Scottie Reynolds, Villanova; Jeremy Lin, Harvard

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=FordDraftWatch-090115

If Ricky Rubio does indeed enter the draft, this will be very interesting because depending on what teams needs are you may see guys like Blake Griffin get picked 1st or 3rd in the draft. If we somehow get shafted and the Wizards get the #1 pick, I could see them going after Blake Griffin, they only have Antawn Jamsion, at PF (though they could use JaVale McGee at PF in the future if Andray Blatche takes over the C position in the future), he's only 32 but in a couple more years he may start to show his age, they could also go after Ricky Rubio considering Gilbert Arenas is always injured and Javaris Crittenton hasn't taken over the PG reigns yet.

Memphis I could see go with Blake Griffin, they have Darrell Arthur and Hakim Warrick (restricted FA in 09, probably let him walk) at PF but I think they could really get an offensive push with Griffin. They already have Mike Conley & Kyle Lowry at PG so I don't see them going after Rubio and they have Marc Gasol & OJ Mayo at C & SG so I don't see them drafting Hasheem Thabeet or James Harden.

LA Clippers, man this is a hard one, I'd say they go PG and go with Ricky Rubio, I think they don't have a true PG, they could move Baron Davis to SG and have Eric Gordon come off the bench. They already have Zach Randolph, Marcus Camby (FA in 2010) and Chris Kaman so Blake Griffin doesn't seem like a need.

Sacramento goes PG or C, they only have Beno Udrih at PG so Rubio could definitely step in and facilitate that offense. Also Brad Miller is a FA after this season so they'd have a glaring hole at C, unless they move Spencer Hawes to C (though they have him listed as a PF) and move Jason Thompson to PF.

Minnesota goes either SF or PG, Randy Foye is really a SG and Sebastian Telfair could backup if they got Ricky Rubio. As for SF, I'm going dark horse and say they go with Al-Farouq Aminu, Rodney Carney is a unrestricted FA and Corey Brewer will be coming back from a season ending injury.

Golden State goes PF or C, outside of Ronny Turiaf and Andris Biedrins, they have no bigs to speak of, Blake Griffin or Hasheem Thabeet would be great pickups.

As for the Thunder, like I've said before we need a PF, C or SG. Chris Wilcox is a unrestricted FA after the year and I see us letting him walk so Blake Griffin would be a great pickup at PF or C. Also with Robert Swift and Mohamed Sene both unrestricted FA's, the need for Hasheem Thabeet seems possible. Also with a glaring hole at SG, James Harden would be perfect as well. But damn it, I want Ricky Rubio so bad.

That's my 2 cents right there, sorry for such a long post.

friarfan07
01-15-2009, 05:54 PM
^ good info, thanks. i think unless we can get griffin, we need to look SG as you say. thabeet is a monster, but i doubt he ever becomes a solid offensive threat. and griffin's athleticism, as i said, leads me to believe he can learn to match up with opposing PFs around the western conference. thabeet and griffin would be crazy tho, and if that happened, we'd be unbelievable in a couple years if they are developed right.

could rubio play the SG or is he a PG only kind of player?

dirk206
01-15-2009, 06:04 PM
No I think he's strictly a PG, he can pass with the best of them and his floor vision is ridiculous, it'd be such a waste to put him any where but PG. Plus, I'm not sure his offensive game is polished enough to play SG, plus he's a little on the short side, standing 6'3" and weighing only 180 Lbs.

friarfan07
01-15-2009, 07:44 PM
^ so if we got him, what would you do with westbrook? SG? trade? seems too talented to be a backup.

dirk206
01-15-2009, 07:59 PM
That's the thing, i doubt we draft Ricky Rubio, PF/C is to big of a hole not to address in this draft. We already have a PG in Russell Westbrook already who I must say has impressed me 50X over with how we'll he has done learning the PG position especially since he didn't play the position is college. Rubio is such a talented kid, it makes me sad to know were going to pass on a talent like his. I think you could move Russell Westbrook to SG, he could make the switch pretty easily but I think leaving him at PG is just fine.

Carey
01-16-2009, 02:43 PM
I like rubio, i think he's gonna be pretty good. I question the type of defender he'll be, I personally like keeping westbrook at the point and getting a natural 2 guard who can shoot from the perimeter and defend. Also that was great draft analysis dirk206!, i like warren from ou and holliday from ucla but i would like to see a strong shooter brought in.

If i had to guess today, out of the active roster we need 4 spots to fill

C
F Green
F Durant
G
G Westbrook
C Krstic(Or possible starter)
F Collison
F
G Weaver
G
F White
G Wilkins

Tell me what you guys think?

dubh46
01-16-2009, 04:31 PM
You all may give me some grief over this but I keep thinking of the Spurs and how they are, and keep looking at the people in charge of the Thunder and think they are going to go the Spurs route, Spurs 2.0 if you may. Presti is a former Spurs asst. GM. Clay Bennett was part of the Spurs organization some years back while Presti was there. I think that in a couple of years they are going to move KD and slide Green to the 3. They already have the center that Presti likes in Krstic. He wanted a pg like Parker and from what alot of NBA pg's are saying Westbrook is every bit as fast. If they get Blake in the draft then they will have a 20pt 10 reb guy who will be molded in the way of a Duncan type. Not the same size but Blake is very fundamentaly sound and has great athletisim. Then they would need a sg that can shoot the 3 and drive and create thier own shot. I love KD and hope they dont try this but I am almost expecting it. Besides in a year or so isnt Manu going to be a free agent? Durant for Manu?
pg Westbrook
sg Manu
sf Green
pf Griffen
c Krstic

Carey
01-16-2009, 04:44 PM
^Absolutely Not! KD is only 20, and 2 years from now he will be one one the very best players in the NBA, and Manu will be a good player but his best days will be behind him. That lineup couldnt win any quicker than a lineup with Durant.

friarfan07
01-16-2009, 04:53 PM
^ i see what he's saying tho. not that i'm convinced we'll trade KD, but look at reality. lebron has been rumored to be going to NY every day until his contract expires. kobe was a hair away from being a clipper. both have been rumored to go to europe at points too.

the point of all this? i think KD has a good shot to get near the kobe/lebron stratosphere, but along with that comes the fact that we'd have to pay him like it. if teams like the lakers and cavs have had to deal with the possibility of their respective certerpieces not being back, what makes you think we won't? and if it comes down to it, and KD seems like he'll be all but gone after his contract runs out, then i could see this management (as dirk says, they seem to have a spurs-like mentality) trying to trade him.

dubh46
01-16-2009, 05:13 PM
I am in NO WAY saying that I would want that. I am just saying that it would be a way that the power that be could go. I like KD and he has a great game. He is learning how to play on both ends, not just scoring and is doing great at the sf spot. I am just saying dont be suprised if this is the route taken.
I am not saying just Manu either. They could go after someone else.

Carey
01-16-2009, 05:52 PM
See the thing is you named guys who need that spolight and attention. KD hasn't shown me that, Also the money is a non issue, There won't be a team in the league that can offer more money because we have cap room.

dubh46
01-16-2009, 06:08 PM
True on both points. I just wonder how much the big 3 will get when they go to the tables. Big 3 being Green, Westbrook, and KD. If Krstic keeps playing like he is he will get a nice contract in 3 years, and then if we draft Blake, how much will he want in 3 or 4 years? Money is not an issue now but it could be in a few years.

dirk206
01-16-2009, 07:21 PM
If the Spurs can lock up their big 3 in Tony Parker, Tim duncan and Manu Ginobli, and still have a decent team of players as a supporting cast, I don't think we should have a problem. I'm not saying to do like the Celtics are doing totally strap yourself financially with 3 star players and just get a bunch of role playing guys to fill out the roster. I think Portland is in the situation we will be in in the next few years, a bunch of young talent collected through the draft and they have to decide which ones to resign, trade or just let go into FA. They locked up Brandon Roy, they should lock up LaMarcus Aldridge, and in the next few years maybe Greg Oden. I still think they should resign Travis Outlaw as well, he's a nice 6th man, brings good energy and scoring off the bench.

dirk206
01-16-2009, 10:42 PM
I like rubio, i think he's gonna be pretty good. I question the type of defender he'll be, I personally like keeping westbrook at the point and getting a natural 2 guard who can shoot from the perimeter and defend. Also that was great draft analysis dirk206!, i like warren from ou and holliday from ucla but i would like to see a strong shooter brought in.

If i had to guess today, out of the active roster we need 4 spots to fill

C
F Green
F Durant
G
G Westbrook
C Krstic(Or possible starter)
F Collison
F
G Weaver
G
F White
G Wilkins

Tell me what you guys think?

I'd have to assume that probably all those spots will be filled by the rookies we draft in the 09 draft, Blake Griffin or Thabeet would fill the PF or C position. We draft a SG in the late 1st round and draft another PG. Then I do see us re-signing Mohamed Sene just to see what he can do, honestly, I think we let Robert Swift walk, we have enough bigs that while young, are a hell of a lot more productive then him. This team is probably going to mirror the Blazers are far as how young the players are, **** the average age is probably going to be like 23-24.

dirk206
01-16-2009, 10:53 PM
^ i see what he's saying tho. not that i'm convinced we'll trade KD, but look at reality. lebron has been rumored to be going to NY every day until his contract expires. kobe was a hair away from being a clipper. both have been rumored to go to europe at points too.

the point of all this? i think KD has a good shot to get near the kobe/lebron stratosphere, but along with that comes the fact that we'd have to pay him like it. if teams like the lakers and cavs have had to deal with the possibility of their respective certerpieces not being back, what makes you think we won't? and if it comes down to it, and KD seems like he'll be all but gone after his contract runs out, then i could see this management (as dirk says, they seem to have a spurs-like mentality) trying to trade him.

Yeah, honestly, I think your always going to hear rumors about your star players especially when there close to becoming Free agents. Kobe also was rumored a few years back to possibly go to the Bulls in that huge deal for like Ben Gordon, Tyrus Thomas, Luol Deng and like Joakim noah or something. It would have been a lot but maybe they should have done it. Kobe Bryant and Derrick Rose together, ohhhhh, I can only imagine. Ehh, I think Kevin Durant can become a star like Kobe/Lebron but besides being the star of his team and being the leading scorer, I don't see much comparison between Durant and those guys. I see him more as a Dirk Nowitzki type player. A SF (when he gets bigger, he could float between SF & PF), who in the future will being a scoring machine who will have a high rebound rate, average 3-4 assists & a block a game. But I think he's more athletic then dirk and can get to the rim better, though i think Dirk may be the better post player.

garlicboy
01-20-2009, 04:17 AM
Maggette to the Thunder. The Thunder is so young, and in need of:
A.) Veteran leadership
B.) Another 20 pt scorer
C.) A wing player
Corey fits the bill on all 3 points. My thinking is that the Thunder is still going to be a lottery team. Corey adds the veteran that sooner rather than waiting during the offseason. So in essence the Thunder can have their cake and eat it too. They get a lotto pick and a Veteran wing scorer. They need a big man. Griffin, Thabeet and Greg Monroe would all fit in nicely and the Thunder should have a shot at at least 1 if not all. Having Maggette will bring that continuity now. In essence, they can work out the kinks early and will be better prepared for the 2009-2010 season. The 2009 free agent list is thin and old http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9608. 2010 free agents...no offense, but who wants to go to Oklahoma when endorsements alone in big cities like New York, New Jersey, Miami, Chicago, etc will make you more money. Ben Gordon is the only other viable 2009 option.

Maggette has a 5 year $50 million contract, long yes, but shorter than any free agent you'd sign in upcoming off seasons, and what I love is that he hasn't got spoiled. He averages close to 20, increased his rebounding, accepts coming off the bench and dives on the floor without a 2nd thought.

The only reason why he's expendable, is that we have Monta coming back, and Belinelli and Morrow have proven to be solid and improving wing players.

Carey
01-20-2009, 10:01 AM
The thing that scares me a little is will we be too young next year? Do you see presti making a move with 1 or 2 of those first round picks for a piece off another team?

dirk206
01-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Yeah we may be a little too young but signing a few veterans along the way is easy to do. I've been thinking, you think we could trade one of our 1st round picks for either Josh Boone or Sean Williams of the New Jersey Nets. I think both can be had for a real reasonable price and I think both guys have upside, the Nets have quite a few bigs right now and I think both guys are expendable.

Carey
01-21-2009, 12:58 PM
^Yea i could see that, I think alot will get cleared up after the trade deadline, one we figure out what they will do with earl watson and what we will get in return. Also if we can get some young pieces or picks in return for Joe Smith and or Chris Wilcox then that would give us some more ammo this summer. I agree with u, I like the idea of having a 2nd round pick available for someone who slips.

dirk206
01-22-2009, 12:10 AM
I think we still have a 2nd round pick, apparently we got one from New Jersey for the Mikki Moore trade a few years back (NBAdraft.net has the pick at #43). The thing is I'm not sure if were going to be able to get a high 2nd round pick, look at those 5 teams with the 1st 5 picks of the 2nd round and it's not much we could give them to get those picks. They are all not going to make the playoffs so unless they want cap space, I don't think it's possible. One thing to point out is we may want to get a few mid to late 2nd rounder to draft a couple of Euro's and stash them in Europe. A lot of these guys are just in the draft with the idea that they are not coming over to the NBA for a while due to the fact that they've already signed long-term contracts with their teams. Look at last years draft in the 2nd round, teams drafted guys like Nikola Pekovic, Omer Asik, Ante Tomic, and Semih Erden. These guys are good players and had they been able to come to the NBA immediately, they would have been drafted higher. But you get these guys at a discount and if they come to the NBA a few years later, they will be seasoned, more experienced and more likely to have an immediate impact.

Carey
01-23-2009, 11:35 AM
^I think we traded that pick to get kyle weaver. Hopefully we can get one before the trade deadline