PDA

View Full Version : Eurobasket 2009 News

JWalk126
11-23-2008, 05:53 AM
I've been looking for an article in English on this for a while...

Defending champions Russia received a favourable draw on Saturday for EuroBasket 2009 in Poland with games in Group B in Gdańsk against Germany, Latvia and the side that wins the Additional Qualifying Tournament.

Both Andrei Kirilenko and Russia, who upset hosts Spain in the EuroBasket 2007 gold medal game in Madrid, and Germany played at the Olympics this summer but won just one game each and failed to progress from the preliminary round.

The Latvians booked their place to EuroBasket 2009 as the best second-place team in qualifying while France, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Portugal, Italy, Finland and Belgium will fight for the one spot still available in the Additional Qualifying Tournament.

With three teams advancing from each of the four groups to the Qualifying Round for the Quarter-finals, hosts Poland know they have it tough after falling into Group D with EuroBasket 2007 bronze medalists Lithuania, Turkey and Bulgaria.

The games will be played in Wroclaw.

Turkey went undefeated in their qualifying campaign under coach Bogdan Tanjevic, including a two-game sweep of France, while Bulgaria earned a trip to the Final Round under Israeli coach and former Maccabi Tel Aviv boss Pini Gershon.

Group C in Warsaw has world champions Spain, who almost upset Team USA in the gold medal game at this summer's Olympics, along with Slovenia, Serbia and Great Britain.

Slovenia took part in the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Athens but failed to secure their place in Beijing while the Serbs and Brits won their respective qualifying groups this summer.

Serbia, now led by the legendary coach Dusan Ivkovic, captured numerous titles as the former Yugoslavia but the last was the gold medal at the 2002 FIBA World Championship in Indianapolis.

One of the leading players in the country's history and a member of that team, former NBA star Vlade Divac, participated in Saturday's draw.

Great Britain have made headlines by winning promotion from Division B and then earning a trip to the Final Round in their first attempt under coach Chris Finch and with the dynamic play of Luol Deng and Pops Mensah-Bonsu.

Group A in Poznań is extremely tough as well with EuroBasket 2005 winners Greece, along with Croatia, the Former Yugoslavian Republic of Macedonia and Israel all squaring off.

Greece suffered a last-second defeat to Argentina in the quarter-finals of this summer's Olympics while Croatia lost in the last eight this summer against Spain.

FYROM won their qualifying group under coach Jovica Arsic while Israel rebounded from a 1-3 record in their Division A campaign and won their final two qualifying games to claim a spot in the Final Round.

Israel played at the last two EuroBaskets after winning the Additional Qualifying Tournament.
FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_3-I9xIK,H52ZNfYSgahgJ0.inplayer_on.inteam_on.intext_ on.infoto_on.search_Eurobasket%202009%20draw%20com pleted%20.x_0.y_0.articlesPage_1.coid_WEI3CaHWJOsc Fe0SO5nw22.html)

Greece's Reactions

Greece are one of the best sides in international basketball, but sometimes a team needs a little fortune to reach the podium and Lady Luck certainly hasn't smiled on Panagiotis Yannakis' team the past two summers.

After finishing fourth at EuroBasket 2007, the Greeks hosted the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament this summer in Athens where they claimed one of three spots for the Beijing Games.

Once in China, Greece suffered a narrow defeat to Argentina in the quarter-finals when Vassilis Spanoulis was off target with a potential game-winning shot in the waning seconds.

Next summer, the Greeks will attempt to put things right at the EuroBasket in Poland and on Saturday they discovered they will compete in Group A in Poznan against fellow Olympians Croatia, along with Israel and the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.

Spanoulis, a star with Panathinaikos, said: "You can never say that a draw is easy or difficult. On the other hand, we have to forget the names of our opponents and pay attention to what we do on the court, how our team is going to perform.

"We have to be ready to move ahead to the next round. You can get into an easy group - speaking theoretically always - and finish third or you can get to a difficult group and finish first.

"The thing is how are we going to be at that period. Our goal doesn't change.

"Our goal is to get a medal, something that we missed the previous two years. We want to be back on the podium."

One of Greece's top defensive players, the versatile Panagiotis Vassilopoulos of Olympiacos, says one key will be how the Greeks enter the competition.

In other words, will they be slowed by injuries?

"I could say that the draw is not so bad, but when you get on the court nothing we say matters," he said.

"The first thing is to be well ourselves, not to have injuries.

"We know our opponents. We never underestimate anyone, but we also know that it's important to be in good shape ourselves.

"Our goal can be none other than to go for a medal.

"We didn't make it the last two years, we were unlucky, but that doesn't mean that our goal is going to change.

"I believe that we have the team to make it to the podium."
FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_3-I9xIK,H52ZNfYSgahgJ0.inplayer_on.inteam_on.intext_ on.infoto_on.search_Eurobasket%202009%20draw%20com pleted%20.x_0.y_0.articlesPage_1.coid_0dljFSoQGU2n c5XRTnY8d0.html)

JWalk126
03-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_v00LLqaGJRgngcSIvJ4ZA1.container_frontpage.ar ticleMode_on.html)

Supporters of Spain's national team aren't the only ones in Europe enduring some anxious moments these days.

Nearly every country is sweating over the fitness of key players.

Spain's Rudy Fernandez took a hard fall in a game with his Portland Trail Blazers against the Los Angeles Lakers this week and spent the night in hospital before being released with a hip-pointer and bruised chest.

The 23-year-old Spain international, the 2006 FIBA Europe Young Player of the Year, showed up at the Rose Garden in Portland for Wednesday's game against Dallas but didn't play.

"I think it's good luck for me that (I didn't) break anything," he said of the fall to the hardwood which happened after he received a foul while air-born from Laker Trevor Ariza.

"And I think right now (I need) a little rest ..."

Shortly after Fernandez had said those words, his Blazers team-mate, Nicolas Batum, went out and strained his right shoulder after making contact with the Mavericks' Germany international Dirk Nowitzki.

The 20-year-old Batum had to leave the game because he couldn't raise his arm.

A small forward who is expected to break into the France squad for this year's Additional Qualifying Round for the EuroBasket, Batum was due to have an MRI later on Thursday.

"I tried to put my arm (out) to get the ball and (Nowitzki) pushed me back," Batum said.

Italy, meanwhile, have been fretting all year about the possibility that their NBA rookie Danilo Gallinari could miss a third straight summer of national team duty.

Gallinari has had back problems all season.

"Gallinari already knows how to do everything," said Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni to Gazzetta dello Sport.

"He shows the maturity of a 30-year-old on the court.

"If he was in good condition, he would be our best player. Our only task now is to heal him. This brings uncertainty. We don't know if it is best to rest him, or whether he needs surgery.

"I am not pessimistic, though. We will find a solution."

How bad is it for Gallinari?

"Right now he is 50%," D'Antoni said.

"His run is not fluid and he continues to have pain. That is why sometimes I prefer not to play him.

"It's difficult to be on the court in his condition. But he is a 20-year-old and he will recover."

There are growing concerns about Great Britain's Luol Deng of the Chicago Bulls, too.

Deng has an injured right tibia and is hoping to avoid surgery.

Lithuania big man Ksistof Lavrinovic won't play for the rest of March after breaking his hand in a game against Fortitudo Bologna earlier this month while Turkey's Hedo Turkoglu is carrying a lower foot injury and didn't even play for the Orlando Magic on Wednesday.

JWalk126
04-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_M6UBkt4dIQMtpPrK,DV,V2.articleMode_on.contain er_frontpage.html)

Nenad Krstic has underlined his commitment to Serbia's national team by announcing he will definitely play for the Blues at this summer's EuroBasket in Poland.

Krstic, a 2.13m center, averaged almost 14 points and six rebounds per game in Serbia's successful qualifying campaign in 2008.

"I'll play for Serbia at the EuroBasket," he said this week. "That was always, and still is, my one and only attitude."

Krstic will have an extremely busy summer and not just because of basketball.

The biggest and most important event for him is his wedding.

"Our wedding is scheduled for July and it will be a crown of our six-year relationship," he said.

"But, at the moment, I'm not sure when we'll organize our honeymoon due to my obligations to the national team.

"Maybe we'll take that trip even before wedding."

Krstic says he is extremely happy to be back in the United States after a short stint with BC Triumph in Russia earlier this season.

"I can't say that anything was bad during my stay at Triumph," he said, "but that 'basketball trip' to Russia has just convinced me that, if we are speaking about performances on the court, that I belong in the NBA.

"Of course, it wasn't easy for me at the start (with Oklahoma).

"It took time to adjust to new plays, new team-mates. But I'm thrilled to be back, both in the States and the NBA.

"The system is pretty much different than it was during my New Jersey Nets' days but as time goes by, I'm enjoying this game more and more."

Barac Breaks Foot

Croatia national team center Stanko Barac has broken his foot and will be sidelined for at least a month.

Barac, who played for Croatia at last summer's Olympics in Beijing, has had a disappointing season at TAU Ceramica.

The 2.17m Barac has averaged just 12 minutes per game.

JWalk126
04-27-2009, 01:14 AM
Jaric issues come-and-get-me plea to Ivkovic
Source: FIBA.com (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/29959/arti.html)

MEMPHIS (EuroBasket 2009) - Veteran NBA guard Marko Jaric of the Memphis Grizzlies has expressed the hope that he will be invited to play for Serbia this summer at the EuroBasket in Poland.

Jaric, a member of Yugoslavia's gold-medal winning side at the 2002 FIBA World Championship in Indianapolis, hasn't represented his national team since EuroBasket 2005.

"I haven't spoken with coach (Dusan) Ivkovic yet, but if he calls me, I'll be there,” Jaric said.

“I would be the happiest man on Earth if we gather the strongest national team for the EuroBasket in Poland.

“That includes players such as Vladimir Radmanovic (Charlotte Bobcats), Sasha Pavlovic (Cleveland Cavaliers) and Igor Rakocevic, who is having great season in Europe."

At EuroBasket 2005, the last time Jaric played for Serbia and Montenegro, the team failed to reach the Quarter-Finals.

Rakocevic, meanwhile, the veteran guard of TAU Ceramica and the leading scorer in Spain's ACB at more than 20 points per game, is to meet with Ivkovic after Thursday's game against Barcelona.

Rakocevic hasn't played for the national team since the 2006 FIBA World Championship in Japan.

“I have a huge wish to play for the national team again," he said.

"But, there are some things that can affect that - my physical condition, the schedule of national team's training camp, my next club season... we'll see what happens."

Serbia, whose primary aim heading to Poland is to qualify for the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey, will take on Spain, Slovenia and Great Britain in group play

JWalk126
04-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Belinelli Ecstatic He’ll Join Italy This Summer
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_vF-5ZCEaJPIJ0qtNnMXTt3.articleMode_on.container_front page.html)

Marco Belinelli is thrilled that his NBA side Golden State have given their blessing for him to take part in this year's Additional Qualifying Round with Italy.

Belinelli remained in the United States last summer to prepare for his second NBA campaign with the Warriors and Italy missed him a great deal as they finished third in Division A Group A behind Serbia and Bulgaria.

That result has left the Azzurri needing to claim the one remaining spot for the EuroBasket in Poland that is on offer in the extra qualifiers and to do that, one of the teams they will have to beat is France.

"The Warriors have accepted my desire and I am really happy," Belinelli said.

"The national team means a lot to me and for me to play gives me great joy. I honestly cannot wait to play.

"I have already spoken to (France center) Ronny Turiaf, my Warriors teammate. The (opening) game (between France and Italy) will be a special one for the both of us. I am already charged up for that game."

Italy must finish top of Group B in the Additional Qualifying Round above France and Finland with games at home and away against both.

If they achieve a first place finish, Belinelli and the Italians would then go up against the winner of Group A (Portugal, Belgium or Bosnia and Herzegovina) in a two-legged final.

ULT WARRIOR408
04-29-2009, 11:49 PM
belinelli ecstatic he’ll join italy this summer
source: fiba europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_vf-5zceajpij0qtnnmxtt3.articlemode_on.container_front page.html)

maybe he could improve his game in europe.

JWalk126
04-30-2009, 12:02 AM
maybe, I never really saw him play... I don't think Italy stands a chance in the European championships though

JWalk126
05-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Anderson would like to play for Croatia
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_h,P,fDUiH9I-y9QIh1zgg0.container_frontpage.articleMode_on.html )

Cibona Zagreb's mid-season pick-up from BC Triumph, American swingman Alan Anderson, admits he'd love to put on a Croatia national team shirt.

The 26-year-old started the 2008-09 campaign with EuroChallenge Final Four side Triumph and averaged 9.8 points and 5.2 rebounds in six games before moving to Cibona in January and pouring in more than 15 points in eight Euroleague contests.

"It's simple," Anderson said to Kosarka.hr. "They (media) have asked me 'would you be interested in playing for Croatia?' and I've seriously answered ‘I would.'"

The 1.98m Anderson played college basketball at Michigan State and spent a couple of seasons in the NBA before moving to Virtus Bologna for the 2007-08 campaign.

He then joined Triumph before switching to Cibona, which gave Croatia coach Jasmin Repesa ample opportunity to watch the player in action.

Croatian journalists asked Repesa about his EuroBasket 2009 squad and while he did not mention Anderson by name, he did give a comment to the Vecernji list daily.

"Every good player is welcome," he said.

"Today, many teams have naturalised players, but we don`t have one, a versatile wing, strong on the ball."

The Croatian Basketball Association (HKS) appeared to quash the speculation on the sports website javno.com.

Zeljko Draskic of the HKS said: "The Counseling Council of the Croatian Basketball Association (HKS) should respond on foreigners playing for the national team, along with the Croatian Olympic Committee.

"Only then could the terms for a passport be met. According to Croatian law, only a foreigner who has been living in Croatia for five years can have a Croatian passport."

JWalk126
05-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Israeli NT Coach Tzvikah Sherf Announces Preliminary Sqaud
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_2eSOWw9zJUw4CV9N7svyI1.articleMode_on.contain er_frontpage.html)

Israel coach Zvika Sherf has announced a 24-strong group of players that have a chance to play for the country at this summer's EuroBasket in Poland and several men who have a rich history with the national team are missing from the list.

Maccabi Tel Aviv guard Dror Hagag and Hapoel Jerusalem's big guys - Sharon Shason and Erez Markovic - have not received calls from Sherf.

Afik Nissim, who is having a great season in the second division in Italy with Veroli and helped the club win the league's cup title, is also not included.

There are plenty of familiar names on the list and some new ones as well.

Yotam Halperin is enjoying a solid first season at Greek powerhouse Olympiacos under coach Panagiotis Yannakis and has been named.

Lior Eliyahu, Omri Casspi, Yaniv Green and Raviv Limonad are included from Maccabi, as well as Tal Burstein who will try to make the team and recover this summer from what was probably the least successful season of his individual career.

Guy Pnini, one of Israel's best performers at EuroBasket 2007 in Spain, is in the 24-man group along with national team veterans as Meir Tapiro, Amit Tamir, Matan Naor, Ido Kozikaro and Moshe Mizrakhi.

Yuval Naimi and Moran Rot of Hapoel Jerusalem, together with the emerging stars Yogev Okhayon of Nahariya and Gal Mekel of Gilboa/Galil, bring a fresh look to the backcourt and will fight for places in the final squad.

The rest of the names are: Nitzan Khanokhi, Robert Rothbart (both Nahariya), Yehu Orland, Uri Kukia (both Hapoel Holon), Avi Ben Chimol (Ashkelon), Elishay Kadir, Nir Cohen (both Gilboa/Galil) and Yoni Nir (Givat Shmuel).

Sherf, his assistants or colleagues in the national team set-up will hold talks with individuals and teams so everyone fully understands what stands in front of the players, including training schedules, ahead of the Final Round in Poland.

"We are starting the preparation period," Sherf said.

"Most of our plan is set, and we made some changes according to deductions from previous years to make things better for everyone.

"I want to wish everybody on the team, from the 24 players to everyone who works behind the scenes, all the best. The success of the national team is the success of Israeli basketball."

At the EuroBasket, which tips off on September 7, Israel will play in Group A in Poznan against Croatia, F.Y.R. Macedonia and Greece.

JWalk126
05-10-2009, 01:23 AM
Majicauskas cannot play with National Team (Greece)
Source: The Hoop Blog

Arvydas Macijauskas(1.93-SG) is having trouble signing up to play for his National Team in the up and coming Eurobasket competition in Poland this September. The problem is that he has not participated in a single official game anywhere in Europe because of his judicial battle with Olympiakos that still lingers on.

Macijauskas refuses to give up the money on his contract and Olympiakos refuse to allow him to sign somewhere else if he doesn't give up the money. This could very well take a lot of time to resolve. Macijauskas on the other hand went over to FIBA and submitted all the paperwork that explains why he wasn't allowed to play any games although he had a contract.

JWalk126
05-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Macedonia ready to play on the big stage
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_TTYC62wHHtcjtMSvYO0rt3.container_frontpage.ar ticleMode_on.html)

It has been a quiet winter break for the F.Y.R. Macedonian national basketball team, prior to the start of the preparations for the EuroBasket in Poland.

The season in the European national competitions is ending, and the Macedonian players are eager to start, as they call it, "The mission of their lives".

This will be the first appearance on the premier European basketball scene in a decade, the second overall for Macedonia since its independence from the former Yugoslavia.

While the players were relieved from national duty during the past months after their qualification for the Final Round in Poland, the National Federation has had a full-steam-ahead campaign for securing the appropriate terms and conditions for the following preparations before the EuroBasket Group A games against Croatia, Israel and Greece.

The office in Skopje has confirmed the schedule.

The usual gathering, medical tests and the first light training sessions will be held in Skopje from July 15-24 and on Zlatibor mountain in Serbia from July 25-31.

The August schedule is full.

There is a trip to the mountain training camp on the Kranjska Gora in Slovenia with friendly games against EuroBasket 2007 champions Russia scheduled between August 1-7, and friendly meetings with Slovakia in Ohrid, a lakeside city in Macedonia, from August 7-14.

There will be two friendly games in Skopje on August 15 and 16 although the opponents have yet to be named. These will be the last appearances for the Macedonian team on home soil.

Next is the international tournament in Bamberg, Germany (August 21-22) with games against the hosts, Croatia and Poland.

The last phase of the preparations will be the Efes Cup in Ankara, Turkey (August 26-30).

Macedonia will play in Group B of that event against the old foes from the qualifications, Latvia, and against the NBA-talent boosted Great Britain.

In Group B, the hosts will meet Germany and Macedonia's EuroBasket group opponents, Croatia.

This is an important summer for numerous reasons, including the fact that the captain of Macedonia, Vrbica Stefanov, will wear a basketball shirt for the last time in his career.

He retired from club appearances early this season and decided to end his illustrious career in the national team colors.

This is an important summer for Todor Gecevski and Vlado Ilievski, two men who will compete among Europe's best again.

The last time they didn't have much space to show their abilities.

As for Pero Antic (injured foot, rehabilitation) and Jeremiah Massey, they are proven top class players and looking to make their mark on the big stage.

As for Predrag Samargiski and the other EuroBasket rookies, they are anxious to show they are the real deal.

With arguably the strongest and the most unpredictable EuroBasket drawing closer, the message from Skopje is that European powerhouses should be aware of the minors.

The basketball world has changed in recent years.

JWalk126
05-14-2009, 02:07 AM
Bauermann Plays Waiting Game With NBA Duo
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_-N2avqkxIB2tm3NlBWkPz1.articleMode_on.container_fro ntpage.html)

Germany coach Dirk Bauermann is keeping his fingers crossed that Dirk Nowitzki and Chris Kaman will represent the country at the EuroBasket in Poland.

Both players helped the Germans capture the last spot on offer for the Beijing Games at the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament last year.

Injuries limited Kaman to just 31 games this season with the woeful Los Angeles Clippers and his campaign is over but Nowitzki, who has had to deal with some off-the-court issues in recent times, is still competing in the Western Conference play-offs with the Dallas Mavericks.

"I'm cautiously optimistic rather than pessimistic. That's my gut feeling," Bauermann said at a press conference on Tuesday in Karlsruhe.

Bauermann doesn't expect to know about the availability of Nowitzki or Kaman until the middle of August.

"We very much hope that both will play," Bauermann said.

"If Dirk were not to play, no one would be angry because he has given so many years to us."

Bauermann revealed that he has been in contact with Nowitzki and offered his help on a personal problem the superstar is dealing with.

"I did, knowing that he will not accept help," Bauermann said. "He is a very private man."

Spurred1
05-14-2009, 03:33 AM
Didn't Dirk already say he would be taking this summer off?

JWalk126
05-14-2009, 03:52 AM
maybe, I vaguely remember something about the 2010 World championships, but nothing about this summer...

I guess we'll wait and see, but odds are they'll both be a no-show; esp Dirk

JWalk126
05-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Poland Still Waiting On Passport For Logan
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_J7OgZgHeIfsEAqEBskibs1.articleMode_on.contain er_frontpage.html)

Poland basketball fans must bide their time a little longer before knowing if Asseco Prokom's explosive guard David Logan will be able to play for the country this summer at the EuroBasket.

The American, who is currently involved in the Polish domestic play-offs with Prokom, has applied for a passport.

"Right now we do not have the passport," a spokesperson at the Poland Basketball Federation said to Basketball World News.

"We're waiting for the decision. Right now, all of the documents are with the President of Poland. If the President signs it, then we will have the decision that he will have the passport."

Logan, 26, is the leading scorer in Poland's top flight at 18.8 points per game.

In the Euroleague, Logan averaged 16.9 points.

Logan had an outstanding collegiate career at Indianapolis and was voted NCAA Division II Player of the Year in 2005.

In Europe, he had stints in Italy and Israel before moving to Poland.

Poland, meanwhile, also have their eyes on the NBA where big center Marcin Gortat of the Orlando Magic is involved in a thrilling play-off series with the Boston Celtics.

Gortat is playing an average of 12 and a half minutes per game.

When Orlando's starting center Dwight Howard was suspended for a game in the first-round series against Philadelphia, the 2.11m Gortat played 40 minutes and had 11 points and 15 rebounds.

EuroBasket hosts Poland will play in Group D with Lithuania, Turkey and Bulgaria.

JWalk126
05-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Lofty Goals For Greece Men
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_vAoqOOvnIyUzI1RoroY,x1.articleMode_on.contain er_frontpage.html)

New Greece coach Jonas Kazlauskas will eventually gather with the national team players to begin preparing for the EuroBasket in Poland.

The Greeks will take on F.Y.R. Macedonia, Israel and Croatia in Group A in the Preliminary Round but the tournament doesn't get underway until September.

One thing Kazlauskas already knows is that expectations for Greece are sky high.

"The national team of men has a challenge ahead with the EuroBasket of Men in Poland," he said on Thursday.

"The Greek team always aims high. It's something that doesn't, and won't change this time either.

"Greece has a strong team and there are many good players."

Unlike his last job before the Beijing Olympics when Kazlauskas fielded endless questions about when Yao Ming would be able to train following of his foot operation, he does not seem to be facing similar issues with Greece.

"I am not facing problems in choosing some of them for the preparation," he said. "It's not time to announce anything, though."

Kazlauskas was speaking at the presentation for Greece's new uniforms. Two of his players, Theo Papaloukas and Andreas Glyniadakis, were also on hand.

"We feel already that EuroBasket is approaching," Glyniadakis said.

"The Greek national team sets high goals. We cannot think of anything else but the first place. It's a new beginning for us since we have a new coach. We'll try to achieve the best possible."

JWalk126
05-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Rakocevic Named In Serbia Squad But No Milicic
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_BRp0wX1aHDI4ee-ae,JrY2.container_frontpage.articleMode_on.html)

Serbia coach Dusan Ivkovic has included TAU Ceramica's high-scoring Igor Rakocevic in his national squad for the EuroBasket in Poland.

Rakocevic last played for the national team in 2006 when Serbia and Montenegro received a wild card to compete at the FIBA World Championship in Japan.

Ivkovic recently flew to Spain to meet with Rakocevic, who expressed enthusiasm but stopped short of committing himself to the team after citing the need to have some rest after taking part in the ACB play-offs with defending league champions TAU.

Milicic, the seven-foot center who left Serbia for the Detroit Pistons as a teenager several years ago after being made a lottery pick, has struggled to get his career on track in America.

The seven-footer has battled injuries and wasn't able to play in last summer's qualifying campaign when Serbia won seven of eight games and finished top of Group A.

Veteran guard Marko Jaric, a teammate of Milicic's with the Memphis Grizzlies, expressed an interesting in returning but was left off.

Nenad Krstic, Serbia's leading scorer last year, is included.

Krstic left the Russian Superleague over the Christmas holidays for Oklahoma City in the NBA and had a fine season.

There was talk of Cleveland's Sasha Pavlovic being named but he has not been named.

Rakocevic isn't the only Spain-based player named in the 13-man group.

Ivkovic has brought back the impressive DKV Joventut forward Luka Bogdanovic along with Pamesa Valencia duo Vule Avdalovic and Kosta Perovic.

Avdalovic did not play last summer.

Milos Teodosic and Zoran Erceg (both Olympiacos) are in the Greek domestic league play-offs along with Dusan Kecman (Panathinaikos).

Another Greek-based player who has made the team is Ivan Radenovic of Panellinios. Radenovic played college basketball in America at the University of Arizona.

Veteran guard Milos Vujanic, who has been plagued by knee injuries in his career, captained the national team last summer but is not fully fit and has been left out.

New Orleans Hornets sharpshooter Peja Stojakovic, who had a disappointing season in the NBA, is among the foreign-based stars not in the group.

Branko Cvetkovic played in six qualifying games for Serbia last year but has also been left off.

Impressive young guard Stefan Markovic and 20-year-old center Boban Marjanovic have retained their places in the squad along with the Partizan Belgrade contingent of Milenko Tepic, Uros Tripkovic and Novica Velickovic.

Serbia will play in the same Preliminary Round group with world champions Spain, Slovenia and Great Britain.

Serbia EuroBasket 2009 Squad:

Milos Teodosic, Stefan Markovic, Vule Avdalovic, Milenko Tepic, Igor Rakocevic, Uros Tripkovic, Dusan Kecman, Novica Velickovic, Zoran Erceg, Ivan Radenovic, Luka Bogdanovic, Nenad Krstic, Kosta Perovic and Boban Marjanovic.

kind of disappointing to see Serbia so shorthanded....

T-Wolf
05-16-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm only dissapointed becase there will be no Milicic and Stojakovic. I don't like Jaric and I can guarantee that at least 80% Serbians will tell you the same (man, not woman). Milicic is getting married this may, and he expect child in a few months so he wouldn't be 100% concentrated to basketball. That's the reason for him not playing... It's going to be vary interesting group, GB will be really strong if gordon and deng play...

JWalk126
05-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Pops and Deng are probably playing... well, because of the injury, Deng isn't a guarantee but Pops will play

JWalk126
05-18-2009, 02:18 AM
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_BIbvEcgnHOQXreXdjk7Cl1.container_frontpage.ar ticleMode_on.html)

NBA players Predrag Stojakovic, Vladimir Radmanovic, Darko Milicic, Marko Jaric and Sasha Pavlovic won't be in the Serbian squad at the EuroBasket in Poland.

The Blues will also be missing captain Milos Vujanic as well.

Rest assure, though, that Dusan Ivkovic will have a strong side under his command.

The Serbian coach has named Igor Rakocevic, the best scorer of both the Spanish ACB and Euroleague, in his squad.

Rakocevic has not played for the national team since Serbia and Montenegro played at the 2006 FIBA World Championship in Japan.

In addition to Rakocevic and the only NBA representative, Oklahoma City Thunder center Nenad Krstic, Ivkovic's preliminary list also consists of Milos Teodosic, Stefan Markovic, Vule Avdalovic, Milenko Tepic, Uros Tripkovic, Dusan Kecman, Novica Velickovic, Zoran Erceg, Ivan Radenovic, Luka Bogdanovic, Kosta Perovic and Boban Marjanovic.

Captain Vujanic, a guard of Turkish giants Efes Pilsen, will miss this summer competition in Poland due to a knee injury.

"He aggravated that injury again, and we talked about it," Ivkovic said. "The conclusion is that it's the best solution for Vujanic to have rest this summer, so he can fully recover. His performances in the qualifications were huge, but his health condition is more important."

A new captain will be chosen once the training camps have begun.

Speaking of Stojakovic, the captain of the former Yugoslavian team that played at EuroBasket 2003 in Sweden, Ivkovic said: "We have had quality conversation. I'll just quote him, saying, "Coach, I have had a terrible season." He finished the NBA season with huge effort (due to his injury), but I still asked from him to come and visit the national team."

Milicic won't be in Poland, either.

"Darko is at an important point of his life," Ivkovic said.

"His main attributes are grit and victorious spirit, and he explained to me that he has lost that since he played in team which is not among the best in NBA.

"Milicic wants to re-gain that spirit by playing in Europe. He's still in doubt whether or not to return. Also, he's got a wedding coming up, on May 23, and after that he'll become a father.

"He wouldn't be fully concentrated on the national team, and that was the reason he was left.

"But, of course, I really hope we'll have a good time at his wedding party in Novi Sad."

The Serbian team will gather on July 13 and part of the training will be held in the Italian Folgaria, from July 19 to August 2.

The Serbs' first training games will be against Germany, as visitors, on the 15th and 16th of August, and Ivkovic's squad will participate in two tournaments in Greece as well.

From August 19-21, Serbia will play against Poland, Latvia and Greece, while at the Acropolis Cup from August 24-26, the Blues will face Greece, Lithuania and reigning European champions Russia.

Serbia will face Spain, Slovenia and Great Britain in the Preliminary Round of the EuroBasket in Poland.

JWalk126
05-19-2009, 03:26 PM
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_HqkWqALVJfUkwzVFSbG,V0.articleMode_on.contain er_frontpage.html)

Croatia coach Jasmin Repesa has made it clear that Cibona Zagreb's American star Alan Anderson will not represent the country for a myriad of reasons, including the disapproval of current members of the national team.

The former NBA player Anderson, who began this season in Russia with BC Triumph but moved to Croatia in January and averaged 18.4 points, 4.2 rebounds, 2.1 steals and 2.1 assists in the Adriatic League, caused a stir when he said in the Croatian media that he would like to represent the country in international competition.

Repesa spoke to Anderson about his comments and then ruled out any chance of the ex-Charlotte Bobcat making the national side on the Croatian Basketball Association website.

"There's no consensus about foreigners who would like to play for our national team," Repesa said.

"News that Anderson could play for Croatia wasn't received well among the public, the media and also among (current) players.

"Therefore, I've decided to put a full stop (period) and finish with that story. And I've done that to keep peace in our own house."

Numerous countries have naturalized players in their line-ups, including European champions Russia.

Their Pennsylvania native JR Holden of CSKA Moscow hit the game-winning shot at EuroBasket 2007 in Madrid.

"Still, I have to add that (this is not first case as) David Hawkins, who was at Roma while I was there as coach, wanted to play for Croatia just like Partizan's former player Freddie House wanted, too," Repesa added.

Repesa led Croatia to one of the three remaining spots at last year's Beijing Games at the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament. Once in China, Croatia reached the Quarter-Finals before falling to world champions Spain.

JWalk126
05-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_PNFULyRbIBULNp5VPYev81.articleMode_on.contain er_frontpage.html)

An unspecified "family issue" for Andrei Kirilenko could prevent the superstar forward from competing at this summer's EuroBasket in Poland for defending champions Russia.

Kirilenko, the EuroBasket 2007 MVP, is back in his homeland after playing in the NBA with the Utah Jazz and he has cast doubt on his appearance when the Russians go for gold again in September.

Russia Basketball Federation president Sergey Chernov and national team coach David Blatt clearly want Kirilenko in Poland but the player said to Soviet Sport: "Chernov personally came over to the U.S. to discuss this with me."

"I won't be hiding it, really for family reasons, that I can't help my team in Poland. I can't tell you why, though."

Kirilenko, 28, then left the door slightly ajar.

"Still, there's a slim chance I'll be able to make it," he said.

It's hard to imagine a Russian side winning the title without the 2.09m forward Kirilenko, a player who did a little bit of everything in Spain when Blatt's team surprised everyone with a gold-medal finish.

He scores from all over the court, rebounds, comes up with steals and blocks shots.

The experienced Kirilenko is also the captain.

If he doesn't show up, that would force Blatt to come up with a replacement.

When asked his opinion on who would be a good candidate to serve as captain, Kirilenko said he is not ready to offer an opinion.

Instead, he reiterated that when September comes around, something could happen that would allow him to play for Russia again and if that were to happen, he would not show up in Poland lacking fitness.

"I practice on an individual schedule," he said. "I'm staying in shape so that at any moment I can be ready to help the team."

Russia could have another big void to fill with point guard JR Holden having so far not committed to playing. Travis Hansen is a naturalized Russian who has played for Blatt at Dynamo Moscow and has been linked with the national team.

There is speculation that another former Blatt player, forward Kelly McCarty, could take up the naturalized spot.

The 33-year-old McCarty was one of the lynchpins in Blatt's Dynamo St Petersburg team that went undefeated in the FIBA Europe League in 2005. He is currently in the Russian Superleague championship series playing for BC Khimki against CSKA Moscow.

JWalk126
05-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Belgium Announce Preliminary Squad
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_ZWgC1690G7MM-t,UeXpLt3.articleMode_on.container_frontpage.html)

Belgium have come up with a slogan ahead of this summer's Additional Qualifying Round games for the EuroBasket in Poland.

ONE TEAM, NO LIMITS!

If the Belgians keep on playing as they did in their final game last summer when they beat Ukraine 76-58 to avoid dropping into the relegation muck, the catchphrase is a perfect fit.

Indeed, the win for Belgium clinched a 2-4 record and one of the six spots for the additional qualifiers and they were subsequently drawn against Portugal and Bosnia and Herzegovina in Group A, with those games to be played in August.

The team hasn't played in a Final Round of the EuroBasket since 1993 and to do so this time will take a monumental effort, and luck.

They first must finish top of their pool above Bosnia and Herzegovina and Portugal - sides that have reached the EuroBasket in recent times - and then beat the winner of Group B (Italy, France or Finland) on aggregate in a home-and-away tie.

The Eddy Casteels-Jacques Stas coaching duo has selected a 24-strong preliminary squad that includes 2.05m forward Christophe Beghin, who played in all six games last summer and averaged 14 points, along with young point guard Sam Van Rossom, Dmitri Lauwers and Roel Moors.

There is a Jef Van Der Jonckheyd, a small forward who logged the fourth most number of minutes. The most prominent names, however, are the Real Madrid duo of Axel Hervelle and Tomas Van Den Spiegel and the Los Angeles Lakers' Congo-born center Didier Mbenga.

As Hervelle showed in the one game that he played last year, the decisive win over Ukraine, he has the potential to be the best player on the court.

In that triumph, Hervelle had 17 points and seven rebounds.

To get ready for the Additional Qualifying Round, Belgium have scheduled a training camp in Dallas, Texas, from July 10 to 20, where the NBA's Mavericks have invited them to use their facilities.

Dallas is where the 28-year-old Mbenga spent the first three years of his NBA career.

Belgium will return to Europe and be in France from July 24-26 and have friendly games against the French, the Czech Republic and Austria in Strasbourg.

Belgium will play games against New Zealand on July 29 in Courtrai and the following day in Anvers and then finish with a trip to Sofia and play against Bulgaria on August 2 and 3.

Belgium Preliminary Squad: Sam Van Rossom, Jonathan Tabu, Lionel Bosco, Domien Loubry, Gerri Major, Dimitri Lauwers, Roel Moors, Guy Muya, Thomas Dreesen, Randy Oveneke, Jef Van Der Jonckheyd, Bob Menama, Wen Mukubu, Axel Hervelle, Sacha Massot, Aleksander Lichodzijewski, Maxime Dezeeuw, Yannick Driesen, Kristof Ongenaet, Sebastien Bellin, Christophe Beghin, Piet De Bel, Tomas Van Den Spiegel, Didier Mbenga.

Kakaroach
05-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Kirilenko a no-show? Little surprising, guess it must be a serious family issue cuz he loves being the superstar of Russia. Sometimes it carries over to his play for the Jazz....I dunno FIBA basketball well, but I'm guessing with no AK-47, Russia has no chance?

JWalk126
05-24-2009, 04:39 PM
they'll probably make it out of the group round, unless Germany does well and the qualifier from this summer (prob France) do better

but even with AK-47, I can't see them competing with Greece, Spain and Lithuania in the knockout phase

JWalk126
06-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Finland hit Italy, France with Möttölä thunderbolt
Source: FIBA (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/30417/arti.html)

VANTAA (EuroBasket 2009) – Italy and France have been put on notice by Finland that nothing is going to come easy this summer in the Additional Qualifying Round for EuroBasket 2009 following the decision by veteran big man Hanno Möttölä to end his brief retirement and play basketball again.

The 32-year-old Möttölä announced after last year’s Division A campaign that he was calling it quits with the desire to spend more time with his family one motivation to stop playing.

But after a long break, 2.09m power forward began to have second thoughts and at a press conference held at the Energia Arena in Vantaa, the home of the Finnish national team, Möttölä revealed he had been working out with his personal and national team physical trainer, Jussi Hirvonen.

"There's no drama related to my decision,” Möttölä said.

“Nine months ago, I felt absolutely exhausted and empty, and I didn't have the joy and motivation my body needs for full time training.

“Now I’ve had the opportunity to get the mental and physical break I needed, and during the winter my desire and motivation came back.

“When I realized that the desire didn't go away, there was no need to resist.

"I wouldn't consider this a comeback. This is more like a next stage of my career. Although running track and lifting weights is entirely different than being in basketball shape, my physical capabilities are much better than during last summer or season before that."

Those last comments will be heard in Rome, and Paris, with Italy coach Carlo Recalcati and France boss Vincent Collet both knowing they will have to contend with a very dangerous Finnish national side.

Point guard Teemu Rannikko was injured last summer and couldn’t play but he is now fit and raring to go, as well as Virtus Bologna’s exciting young guard Petteri Koponen, whose NBA draft rights are owned by the Portland Trail Blazers.

"Of course it is a big thing to measure ourselves against teams like Italy and France, but even if we weren't in the qualifications, I would still have come back,” Möttölä said.

“Desire to win, the joy, the passion – everything is back and that’s the main thing. Anyway, it is much more pleasant to play realizing that we have to go full speed ahead from the beginning.”

Both France and Italy will have prominent players in the NBA in their squads, and Möttölä knows he will have his hands full underneath the basket.

"It is true that we will be the underdogs heading to these games,” he said. “Then again, we are very ready as a team. We've had the same core for years now.

“When training camp begins, everybody knows from the beginning what we ought to be doing. In the end, we have to be tougher as a team than five individuals in the opposing teams."

Möttölä’s return to the game has added to a huge buzz already in Finland.

He became the third top Finnish athlete to come out of retirement with world champion ski-jumper Janne Ahonen and Rally World Champion Marcus Grönholm also returning to sport in the last three months.

Both sent their regards to Möttölä at his press conference.

“If the older guys still are able to do it, us younger ones have nothing to worry about,” said Ahonen, who is a year younger than Möttölä . “Batteries are obviously charged and it’s time to go again. Good luck – I know you are going to need it.”

Grönholm said: “Retirement ain’t easy. It’s hard to stay away from something, if you love it.”

Experience is vital for national teams and Möttölä has it in abundance. He made his debut at the EuroBasket in 1995 under coach Henrik Dettmann, who was in his first spell as coach of the national team, and went on to play for the national team 100 times.

Möttölä was the first-ever Finn to reach the NBA and he was also the first from his country in the Euroleague, not to mention the first Finland player to compete in that competition’s Final Four.

A record eight times Möttölä was voted Basketball Player of the Year in Finland.

Even before his professional days, Möttölä raised eyebrows in America.

He played college basketball at Utah under Rick Majerus and in 1998 reached the NCAA Final Four, even making it to the title game.

Möttölä made four consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances with Utah.

Möttölä averaged 11.4 points and 4.6 rebounds per game last summer in EuroBasket Division A.

JWalk126
06-08-2009, 12:45 AM
Israel great Tapiro calls it a day with national side
Source: FIBA (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/30379/arti.html)

TEL AVIV (EuroBasket 2009) - Meir Tapiro did the hard part by helping Israel qualify for this year’s EuroBasket.

Now coach Zvika Sherf will have to find a new captain with the 34-year-old Tapiro announcing his retirement from the national team.

"On the one side there's the love for the flag and the symbols of the national team, but then I realized that everything has a finish line," Tapiro said.

Tapiro will leave a big hole for Israel to fill as they attempt to qualify for next year’s FIBA World Championship in Turkey with a strong showing at the EuroBasket.

A combo-guard who made his EuroBasket debut in 1999, Tapiro has been a warrior who thrived in difficult circumstances.

Due in large part to his leadership, Israel earned a place at the last two EuroBaskets by claiming the only spot on offer in the Additional Qualifying Round.

Sherf says Tapiro has been a fantastic player.

"Four years ago, Meir told me he planned to quit the team but I talked him into staying,” Sherf said.

“The things he has done in those four years with the national team are things I wish for any national player team to achieve.

"I know how much Meir sacrificed for the team.

“In the last four years, he became the leader. We want to give him the biggest hug and enormous love for the ways he contributed to Israeli basketball."

Tapiro said at a press conference where he announced his retirement that he likely would have continued if Israel had not earned a direct ticket to the EuroBasket in Poland from Division A.

"If we hadn't make it to EuroBasket last summer, I believe I would have continued to play with the team, to try and help it survive another Additional Qualifying Round road because I know how important it is for Israeli basketball to play in a EuroBasket," he said.

"Once I realized it wasn't the case, I felt it was time to give the young generation of players a chance to prove themselves."

JWalk126
06-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Lakers’ Vujacic In Slovenia Squad, Smodis Captain
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_x15H8fzBJdYr,U,Dat,sK0.container_frontpage.ar ticleMode_on.html)

Slovenia coach Jure Zdovc has announced a star-studded 24-man preliminary squad for EuroBasket 2009 which includes a host of NBA players but not Rasho Nesterovic.

Zdovc had hoped to lure the Indiana center out of international retirement but the seven-footer is not in the group.

Nesterovic announced after last year's FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament that his time as the national team center had come to an end.

Los Angeles Lakers guard Sasha Vujacic, who is in the NBA Finals with Phil Jackson's team taking on the Orlando Magic, is among the 10 guards in the preliminary group.

Veteran power forward Matjaz Smodis of CSKA Moscow has been named captain of the team.

Slovenia's preliminary squad: Goran Dragic (Phoenix), Sani Becirovic (Roma), Nebojsa Joksimovic (Hemofarm Vrsac), Jaka Klobucar (Union Olimpija), Jaka Lakovic (Barcelona), Domen Lorbek (Benetton Treviso), Saso Ozbolt (Union Olimpija), Beno Udrih (Sacramento Kings), Samo Udrih (Estudiantes), Sasha Vujacic (Los Angeles Lakers), Goran Jagodnik (Nymburg), Marko Maravic (Union Olimpija), Bostjan Nachbar (Dynamo Moscow), Emir Preldzic (Fenerbahce Ulker), Mirza Begic (Union Olimpija), Primoz Brezec (Roma), Jurica Golemac (Roma), Matej Krusic (Helios Domzale), Erazem Lorbek (CSKA Moscow), Uros Slokar (GMAC Bologna), Matjaz Smodis (CSKA Moscow), Gasper Vidmar (Fenerbahce Ulker), Marko Tusek (Air Avellino), Miha Zupan (Union Olimpija).

JWalk126
06-08-2009, 10:25 PM
More on the above article
From: FIBA (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/30429/arti.html)

LJUBLJANA (EuroBasket 2009) – CSKA Moscow veteran Matjaz Smodis has been entrusted with the captaincy of Slovenia’s national team ahead of their qualifying campaign for the 2010 FIBA World Championship.

The top six teams at September’s EuroBasket in Poland will earn a trip to Turkey for next year’s big event, and the Slovenians will play in Group C against Serbia, Great Britain and world champions Spain.

A top seven finish would be good enough for Slovenia to qualify if FIBA World Championship hosts Turkey were to end up in the top six.

The 29-year-old Smodis played in Slovenia’s EuroBasket squad two years ago in Spain but an injury knocked him out of the 2008 FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Athens.

National team coach Jure Zdovc has announced a 24-man preliminary squad for the EuroBasket.

He has failed to lure Indiana center Rasho Nesterovic out of international retirement.

Guard Sasha Vujacic, who is in the NBA Finals with the Los Angeles Lakers, is among the 10 guards in the preliminary squad.

JWalk126
06-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Kemzura names players competing for EuroBasket roster spots
Source:FIBA (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/30530/arti.html)

RIGA (EuroBasket 2009) - Latvia's superstar center Andris Biedrins is a permanent fixture at the EuroBasket Women, sitting at mid-court for all of his country's games and watching the Baltic team make a run for the podium.

It won't be long before the Golden State Warriors rebounder extraordinaire goes from spectator to player and puts on the national team jersey himself.

The basketball federation has confirmed that Biedrins is in the country's preliminary squad ahead of the EuroBasket in Poland.

Veteran center Kaspars Kambala, Kristaps Valters, Janis Blums, Sandis Valters, Armands Skele, Aigars Vitols, Kristaps Janicenoks, Uvis Helmanis and Kaspars Berzins will all be at the practices which start on July 20 with national team coach Kestutis Kemzura.

Kemzura will be busy before then, however.

On Saturday (July 13), practices will get underway for other national team hopefuls.

They are Edgars Jeromanovs, Raimonds Gabrans, Mareks Jurevicus, Ingus Bankevics, Ernests Kalve, Gatis Jahovics, Arturs Stalbergs, Rihards Kuksiks, Jurijs Aleksejevs, Arturs Berzins, Rolands Freimanis, Ronalds Zakis, Pavels Veselovs and Raitis Grafs.

The coach will retain several of those players for the practices that begin with Biedrins and Co on July 20.

A couple of promising players who will compete at the U20 European Championship, Janis Strelnieks and Dairis Bertans, may be invited into the team once their under-20 duties are completed.

The Latvian Basketball Federation have also revealed that Kemzura will have a solid coaching staff.

His assistants will be Igors Miglinieks, Edmunds Valeiko and Viktors Lacis.

Latvia finished second in their qualifying campaign last summer behind F.Y.R. of Macedonia. In Poland, they will go up against defending European champions Russia, a rebuilding Germany and the side that wins the Additional Qualifying Round (Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Portugal, France, Finland or Italy).

JWalk126
06-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Preliminary Turkey Squad Announced For EuroBasket
Source: EuroBasket2009 (http://www.eurobasket2009.org/en/coid_D6XVVVuiJGkr1i90XInXM2.articleMode_on.html)

Efes Pilsen and Fenerbahce Ulker have a strong presence in Turkey's preliminary squad for the EuroBasket in Poland.
There are five players from Efes Pilsen (Ender Arslan, Engin Atsür, Kerem Gönlüm, Kerem Tunçeri and Sinan Güler) and four Fenerbahce Ulker stars (Oğuz Savaş, Ömer Aşık, Ömer Onan and Semih Erden).
Former NBA champion Mehmet Okur, who plays for the Utah Jazz and represented Turkey two years ago at the EuroBasket in Spain, has not been included.
Coach Bogdan Tanjevic does have, however, Hedo Turkoglu.
The 30-year-old forward will arrive at the EuroBasket in Poland supremely confident after helping the Orlando Magic make it all the way to the NBA Finals where they were upended by the Los Angeles Lakers.
Ersan Ilyasova, who has played for the senior team since the 2006 FIBA World Championship in Japan, is also in the squad. He is coming off an ACB title triumph with Barcelona.
Turkey preliminary squad for EuroBasket:
Fatih Solak (Aliağa Petkim), Cevher Özer (Beşiktaş Cola Turka), Barış Hersek (Darüşşafaka Cooper Tires), Ender Arslan (Efes Pilsen), Engin Atsür (Efes Pilsen), Kerem Gönlüm (Efes Pilsen), Kerem Tunçeri (Efes Pilsen), Sinan Güler (Efes Pilsen), Oğuz Savaş (Fenerbahçe Ülker), Ömer Aşık (Fenerbahçe Ülker), Ömer Onan (Fenerbahçe Ülker), Semih Erden (Fenerbahçe Ülker), Cemal Nalga (Galatasaray Cafe Crown), Hidayet Türkoğlu (Orlando Magic), Evren Büker (Oyak Renalut), Ersan İlyasova Regal (FC Barcelona), Bekir Yarengüme (Türk Telekom).
Veterans Garrett, Demirel Retire From German National Team
Source: EuroBasket2009 (http://www.eurobasket2009.org/en/coid_erQmS-WTILYjwPY0Ai-ha2.articleMode_on.html)

Long-time Germany players Robert Garrett and Mithat Demirel have retired from the national team.
The decisions come as no surprise, with the Germans having spoken of the need to freshen up the squad.
Both celebrated a bronze-medal win at the 2002 FIBA World Championship in Indianapolis, and a silver-medal triumph at the EuroBasket in Belgrade four years ago.
Swingman Garrett, who made his debut for Germany's senior side on November 24 in 1999, represented the country 118 times. He fulfilled a career aim by competing at the Olympics for the first time last year in Beijing.
"After 10 years and 118 games for my country's national team and after taking part in the Olympic games in the past year, the time was right to go and make room for the next generation," Garrett said.
"It was a beautiful time in which I had many crazy experiences ..."
Patrick Femerling and Pascal Roller retired from the national team after the Olympics.
Another Germany veteran, Demond Greene, has decided not to play this summer at the EuroBasket in order to be with his wife and their two children.
"This is, however, no resignation from the national team," Greene said.
Germany coach Dirk Bauermann is still hoping that Dirk Nowitzki of the Dallas Mavericks and his NBA colleague Chris Kaman of the Los Angeles Clippers will decide to play in Wroclaw, Poland, where the national team will compete in Group B against Russia, Latvia and the side that wins the Additional Qualifying Round.
Rakocevic Now Doubtful For Serbia
Source: EuroBasket2009 (http://www.eurobasket2009.org/en/coid_Fh-MPwyaIL6QY5gKpeof32.articleMode_on.html)

Serbia coach Dusan Ivkovic wanted Igor Rakocevic in his national squad for this summer's EuroBasket but the veteran shooting guard now looks extremely doubtful because of injury.
The 31-year-old, who has decided to leave TAU Ceramica in Spain for Efes Pilsen in Turkey, said: "A long season is behind me, and the Spanish ACB League is one of longest in Europe.
"With all that, I've aggravated an Achilles tendon injury and in the coming days I'll have to examine it both in Istanbul and Belgrade.
"My wish to play for Serbia isn't an issue at all, but if my body can't hold all the new efforts, there won't be any other solution for me but to tell coach (Dusan) Ivkovic that I can't play at EuroBasket."
Rakocevic and TAU lost to Barcelona in the ACB Finals. The last game in that series was on June 18.
The top scorer in the Euroleague and in the ACB, Rakocevic last played for the national team in 2006 when Serbia and Montenegro received a wild card to compete at the FIBA World Championship in Japan.
Serbia will play in the same Preliminary Round group with world champions Spain, Slovenia and Great Britain.

JWalk126
06-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Diamantidis, Vassilopoulos Named In Greece Squad
Source: EuroBasket2009 (http://www.eurobasket2009.org/en/coid_S4nzToN3HQ6OtFBN,ES3p2.articleMode_on.html)

Greece could have a very different look at the EuroBasket this summer and not just because Jonas Kazlauskas has replaced Panagiotis Yannakis as coach.
Panagiotis Vassilopoulos is an uncertainty because of the back injury which prevented him from taking part in the Euroleague Final Four and the Greek domestic play-offs with Olympiacos, while Dimitris Diamantidis is recovering from laparoscopic surgery.
Panathinaikos, the club Diamantidis helped to a Greek Cup, Euroleague and Greek domestic championship treble, have released a statement about the defensive stalwart who is among the most famous basketball players in Europe.
Dr Konstantinos Konstantinidis, director of general, laparoscopic and robotic surgery of Athens Medical Center, performed the operation and said: "The procedure was bloodless and lasted for about one hour. Diamantidis will remain in the hospital for 24 hours for recovery and if he feels okay, he will be cleared to leave the Medical Center.
"His situation will be re-evaluated in a few days. Next, a plan for his rehabilitation will be made in co-operation with the medical staff of Panathinaikos. Normally in these situations, four to six weeks will be needed."
Both Vassilopoulos and Diamantidis have been named in Jonas Kazlauskas' 17-man preliminary squad for the EuroBasket, along with Theo Papaloukas although the Olympiacos guard is also an uncertainty after writing in a blog earlier this week that he is tired and needs a rest.
Kostas Tsartsaris is not in the group, although that comes as no surprise as the veteran center said after last year's Olympics he would not play for the national side this summer. Preparations will begin on July 21 in Karpenisi.
Preliminary Greece squad: Panagiotis Vassilopoulos, Andreas Glyniadakis, Dimitris Diamantidis, Nikos Zisis, Kostas Kaimakoglou, Nick Calathes, Kostas Koufos, Yannis Bouroussis, Georgios Printezis, Theo Papaloukas, Stratos Perperoglou, Antonis Fotsis, Yannis Kalampokis, Sofoklis Schortsanitis, Dimitris Tsaldaris, Loukas Mavrokefalidis, Vassilis Spanoulis.

JWalk126
07-08-2009, 02:19 AM
Bulleri, Stonerook Pass On Italy
Source: EuroBasket 2009 (http://www.eurobasket2009.org/en/coid_CUoCZZXYHb6MDlbcdcC-P1.articleMode_on.html)

Italy's national side is starting to take shape following the announcement that center Shaun Stonerook and veteran guard Massimo Bulleri have declined invitations to join the Azzurri for training in Bormio.
Stonerook, a naturalized Italian from the United States, is a key man for Montepaschi Siena but he has turned down the chance to play for the national side, at least for this summer, after a grueling campaign with the Tuscan club that just won its third straight Lega A title.
Bulleri was the playmaker on the Italy sides that won the bronze medal at EuroBasket 2003 and silver at the Athens Olympics the following year.
The good news for Italy fans is that new Benetton signing Daniel Hackett has been included in the 17-man squad that is now training in Bormio, along with Angelico Biella's impressive Pietro Aradori.
While Italy didn't win a medal at the Mediterranean Games they hosted last week, Aradori showed some offensive skills that could come in handy for the Azzurri's EuroBasket Additional Qualifying Round Games in August should he make the team.
The 20-year-old shooting guard/small forward scored 29 points in a narrow Semi-Final defeat to Croatia and poured in 21 in the heavy bronze-medal game setback to Turkey.
The squad has the headline names of Golden State Warriors shooting guard Marco Belinelli and Toronto Raptors center Andrea Bargnani.
In the Additional Qualifying Round, Italy will take on France and Finland in Group B. The side that finishes top will take on the winner of Group A (Portugal, Belgium or Bosnia and Herzegovina) in a home-and-away tie that will decide the last team to play at the EuroBasket in Poland.
As for the disappointment of failing to reach the podium in Pescara, where the Mediterranean Games were held, Italy coach Carlo Recalcati said: "I am sorry and not just for the defeat but because we really wanted to do well at the Mediterranean Games.
"All the teams we played against out-rebounded us and against Turkey at half-time, they had taken 21 and we had just seven. We were not fluid on offense. "
Italy squad training at Bormio: Valerio Amoroso, Pietro Aradori, Andrea Bargnani, Marco Belinelli, Andrea Crosariol, Marco Cusin, Luigi Datome, Luca Garri, Jacopo Giachetti, Daniel Hackett, Angelo Gigli, Stefano Mancinelli, Marco Mordente, Giuseppe Poeta, Matteo Soragna, Luca Vitali.

JWalk126
07-08-2009, 02:28 AM
Bauermann Names Germany Training Squad And No Nowitzki
Source:EuroBasket 2009 (http://www.eurobasket2009.org/en/coid_dNG7M3oUI2sYolPLKlWmB2.articleMode_on.html)

A host of players that have yet to play for Germany's senior team have been called up by coach Dirk Bauermann for a training camp that gets underway at the end of the month in Leverkusen.
Twenty-one players in all have been named, including a handful that competed at last year's Olympics, but not Dirk Nowitzki or Chris Kaman.
The two NBA players have yet to announce if they will play at the EuroBasket in Poland.
Steffen Hamann, Johannes Herber, Jan-Hendrik Jagla, Ademola Okulaja and Sven Schultze are players with a lot of national team experience who have been named, along with Tim Ohlbrecht and Konrad Wysocki - two members of the team that competed at last year's Olympics.
Okulaja has been plagued by injuries in recent times and is hoping to be fit enough to make the team.
"It needs to be clear that even with Dirk and/or Chris, it is going to be extremely difficult to be one of the best eight teams at the European Championship in Poland," Bauermann said.
Several Germany veterans have retired from the national team since the Beijing Games, including Patrick Femerling, Pascal Roller, Robert Garrett and Mithat Demirel. Demond Greene also announced last week that he was taking the summer off to spend time with his wife and children.
"The squad clearly shows the reorganization of the men's national team," Bauermann said.
"Eleven players never played in our first team.
"I also wanted to name Johannes Strasser from Telekom Baskets Bonn but Johannes has told me that he did not want to play due to personal reasons," Bauermann said.
The Germany training camp will be held from July 28 to August 6. Germany will then play friendly games against the Dutch national team and Israel in Leiden, the Netherlands, on August 7 and 8.

JWalk126
07-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Kirilenko Named In Russia Squad
Source: EuroBasket2009 (http://www.eurobasket2009.org/en/coid_9,99SXk8GDMntsSqWOTQC1.articleMode_on.html)

Russia coached David Blatt has named Andrei Kirilenko in his preliminary squad for the EuroBasket but the MVP of the championship two years ago in Spain remains a big uncertainty for this year's event.
In May, Kirilenko said he was unlikely to take part in the tournament.
Blatt says his star player is still mulling over whether or not to play.
"Kirilenko is a key player in the national team and it would be stupid not to include him on the list," Blatt said to the Russian website, gazeta.ru. "More so, considering he hasn't said no."
However, Kirilenko's agent, Marc Fleisher, said to the Deseret News on Thursday: "He's definitely not playing. I just talked to him, and he said, 'I'm not playing.'"
One player who is certainly out of the Russian squad this summer is JR Holden, the veteran point guard who just signed a contract extension with CSKA Moscow.
The Pennsylvania native reached agreement with Blatt and Russia not to play this year.
"We spoke to JR, we listened and we decided not to call him," Blatt said.
"He has done a lot for us and now he needs to rest."
Holden has represented Russia since their qualifying campaign for EuroBasket 2005 and hit the gold-medal clinching shot at EuroBasket 2007.
Another American, Kelly McCarty of BC Khimki, has been invited into the squad. McCarty played on Blatt's Dynamo St Petersburg team in 2005 that went undefeated in the FIBA Europe League and won the title.
He received his Russian passport in 2007.
"McCarty's call-up is not a surprise," Blatt said.
"He is the leader of his team, a high quality player and he also has a Russian passport."
Russia preliminary squad: Andrei Kirilenko, Victor Khryapa, Andrey Vorontsevich, Sergey Monya, Nikita Kurbanov, Kelly McCarty, Sasha Kaun, Timofey Mozgov, Dmitry Sokolov, Petr Gubanov, Anton Ponkrashov, Vitaly Fridzon, Victor Keyru, Alexey Shved, Sergey Bykov, Egor Vyaltsev, Aleksei Zozulin. On standby: Vadim Panin and Fedor Dmitriev.

JWalk126
07-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Casspi weighs up national team option
Source: Jerusalem Post (http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1246443854019&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull)

Omri Casspi returned to Israel for a long overdue break on Sunday and hinted he will not be playing for the national team in September's European Championships.

The 21-year-old Israeli, who was selected 23rd by the Sacramento Kings in the NBA draft last month, spent the last three weeks accustoming himself to his new surroundings in California and in the past week played for his team in the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas.

Casspi averaged 8.0 points, 4.4 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 3.4 turnovers in 22.4 minutes on court in five games in Vegas and said he believes he will have to make a "difficult decision" regarding his participation in the EuroBasket tournament.

"I need to speak with national team coach Tzvika Sherf and we will have to decide what is best for me and for Israeli basketball," Casspi said on his arrival at Ben-Gurion Airport on Sunday.

"There are a lot of problems with this. I really want to be on the team and Tzvika really wants me, but on the other hand I also represent the country when I'm playing in the US. I need to be ready for the NBA and feel good with myself. I may need to make a difficult decision.

"The Kings want me to return early so I can train and play as much as possible before the season begins."

Casspi is looking forward to taking some time off after playing basketball non-stop for the past 12 months, first for the national team, then Maccabi Tel Aviv and finally for Sacramento.

"I've earned this break," he said. "I need these two weeks to rest.

I've been playing basketball for 12 months straight."

Casspi also spoke of his experiences in the Summer League.

"I felt more and more comfortable with every game," Casspi said. "The game is completely different. The rhythm, speed and intensity are all different. But it's only a matter of time until I get used to it.

"The day I left the head coach, Paul Westphal, told me he enjoyed watching me during the week.

"He said they are very happy they picked me and want to see me back in Sacramento as soon as possible."

JWalk126
08-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Vujacic, Zupan get released from Slovenian NT Duties
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_iKAKiowhJKEdeJcad1OfJ3.articleMode_on.contain er_frontpage.html)

Slovenia finally convinced guard Sasa Vujacic to play for the national team this summer at the EuroBasket but a lack of form stemming from a knee injury has led to coach Jure Zdovc cutting the Los Angeles Lakers reserve.

Hopeful of challenging for a place on the podium, the Slovenians will now have to go to Poland without arguably their most high-profile player.

"Sasa Vujacic and everyone in the national team has done everything possible so that Sasa could return and play at the EuroBasket," said Slovenia coach Jure Zdovc. "But his injury made his effort useless.

"He hasn't had time to adapt to our style of play. I want to thank the player for his effort and wish him a speedy recovery from his injury."

Zdovc has also axed center Miha Zupan, the big man who has overcome being deaf to have a professional career.

Zupan played at last year's FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament but has been deemed surplus to requirements this time by Zdovc, who took the reins from Ales Pipan at the end of last year.

"I don't want to forget Miho either, who responded to my invitation to join the team and helped us in Porecu and Seville," Zdovc said.

Slovenia, who are in Group C at the EuroBasket with Great Britain, Serbia and Spain, will continue their EuroBasket preparations in Maribor with a 14-man squad.

JWalk126
08-31-2009, 03:59 PM
if I do find live streams for EuroBasket games, expect some GTs to be made