PDA

View Full Version : Marbury refuses to play

Procision
11-22-2008, 10:34 PM
article from http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3719230

With two moves, the New York Knicks created salary space for a premier free agent down the line and playing time for Stephon Marbury.

Except that Marbury declined.

After the Knicks traded Jamal Crawford to Golden State for Al Harrington, and sent Zach Randolph and Mardy Collins to the Los Angeles Clippers for Cuttino Mobley and Tim Thomas, the bench was depleted. Needing the league-minimum eight active players to avoid a forfeit, coach Mike D'Antoni asked Marbury to dress.

D'Antoni said he told Marbury there would be 30 to 35 minutes of playing time available Friday against the Milwaukee Bucks.

However, the point guard again took his now-customary spot on the bench, where he has spent every minute this season, leaving the Knicks with only seven players in the opener of games on back-to-back nights.

The Knicks lost to the Bucks, 104-87.

"When the trades went down this afternoon, I said, 'Look Steph, one of the principals are gone, Jamal Crawford. There's 30 to 35 minutes out there, and they're yours if you want them. Are you ready to go?' " D'Antoni said.

According to D'Antoni, Marbury replied that he "wasn't comfortable with the situation, and he did not want to play. So at that point, I go, 'O.K., that's your decision, and that's fine.' That's it."

Marbury had a different view of the events.

"The only thing I'm at liberty to say is that I was told that they were moving forward, and I'm not the person who chooses who plays or doesn't," Marbury said.

But wasn't that at the beginning of the season?

"I was told that today, too," Marbury said.

Marbury refused to answer additional questions.

"I thought it was an opportunity for him to play, and I was kind of hoping," D'Antoni said. "But at the same time, there's consideration of a lot of guys in that locker room that are giving their hearts out. And those are the guys that I'm going to go on with, and those are the guys that I'm going to love, and those are the guys that are going to compete every night."

New York's new additions might not be available to play until Tuesday's game against Cleveland, leaving it considerably short-handed for the time being. The Knicks also play Saturday at home against Washington.

"Steph's a grown man," Knicks guard Chris Duhon said. "If he doesn't want to play, he doesn't want to play. It doesn't bother me at all. I was satisfied going to war with the seven guys we had."

D'Antoni said he did not consider Marbury's refusal to play an act of insubordination.

"He was in a tough situation," D'Antoni said. "I'm not mad at Steph. But that's enough of the talk because it is a distraction and we need to go forward and we have a new team coming in and we're going to get this done."

Durant is hype
11-22-2008, 10:50 PM
Wow just WOW,he had one more opportunity to prove the knicks wrong instead he decides to sit,this guy has all the talent in the world,but stuff like this **** it up.

Lakers4ItAll
11-22-2008, 10:59 PM
Good for him, why should he sit there and help the Knicks after the way they have treated him

MrBloop
11-22-2008, 11:03 PM
Good for him, why should he sit there and help the Knicks after the way they have treated him

The Knicks gave him more than he could ever have dreamed of in NYC or any other place. He's the one who chose to be a scrub while he was here.

shep33
11-22-2008, 11:05 PM
They're making Steph look like the villain here, but I think he did the right thing. The only reason they asked him to play was likely because they only had 7 guys. That not fair to Steph, what happens when mobley, Tim Thomas, and whoever else they traded for come in. Back to the bench? Either trade him, release him, or just keep him on the bench, don't try and ask him to play for you just in the case of an emergency.

hyp21
11-22-2008, 11:05 PM
funny. classic knicks as of late. dumb azz management. dumb azz players.

Durant is hype
11-22-2008, 11:08 PM
They're making Steph look like the villain here, but I think he did the right thing. The only reason they asked him to play was likely because they only had 7 guys. That not fair to Steph, what happens when mobley, Tim Thomas, and whoever else they traded for come in. Back to the bench? I'm not a huge marbury fan, but the knicks shouldn't make steph look like the villain in this case. I'd do the same.

Yeah,but if he players well he can possibly play if not some other might be impressed and would want him either way I would have played just to prove everyone wrong.

Mr.Chi-Town
11-22-2008, 11:10 PM
They're making Steph look like the villain here, but I think he did the right thing. The only reason they asked him to play was likely because they only had 7 guys. That not fair to Steph, what happens when mobley, Tim Thomas, and whoever else they traded for come in. Back to the bench? I'm not a huge marbury fan, but the knicks shouldn't make steph look like the villain in this case. I'd do the same.

:clap:u must have been reading my mind.

shep33
11-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Yeah,but if he players well he can possibly play if not some other might be impressed and would want him either way I would have played just to prove everyone wrong.

Thats a good point, but at the same time its just one game, and if he doesn't play well they'll just throw it back in his face. Teams still think he has the talent, but his contract is ridiculous, and nobody is willing to take a chance on paying him 22mill.

IndyRealist
11-22-2008, 11:41 PM
He should've taken the playing time, and helped his team win. It's not his contract that people don't want, because it's expiring. It's the attitude that comes along with it, the reputation as a showboat and locker room cancer. If Marbury was a model citizen, teams would be clamoring for him. He's too busy "being a man" and protecting his ego to realize how bad the Knicks would have looked sitting him for a month and then asking him to play. Now they look justified.

rhino17
11-22-2008, 11:42 PM
i hate him too but they have treated him like **** this season, I wouldda said no too

WSU Tony
11-22-2008, 11:48 PM

He's getting paid millions and needs to fulfill his contract if asked. Welcome to the real world, you sign a contract you live up your end of the deal. Just because they gave him a contract, they aren't obligated to play him. However, if they ask him to play, he NEEDS to play for them.

Sport
11-23-2008, 01:37 AM
He's getting paid millions and needs to fulfill his contract if asked. Welcome to the real world, you sign a contract you live up your end of the deal. Just because they gave him a contract, they aren't obligated to play him. However, if they ask him to play, he NEEDS to play for them.

I agree, Kind of a BS move by Steph to the new coach.

madiaz3
11-23-2008, 02:54 AM
I agree, Kind of a BS move by Steph to the new coach.

Not exactly a new coach for Steph.

#1Mavericksfan
11-23-2008, 03:06 AM
Marbury should have been playing to atleast increase his trade value or lack there of, nobody is gonna trade for him and he hasn't even played this season yet.

FlawlessKB24
11-23-2008, 03:08 AM
with everything going on with the knicks right now, it looks like steph is just gonna have to suck it up and call it a season. he has a nice expiring
unless he and the knicks agree to a 6M buyout or something along those lines

Musiq
11-23-2008, 03:11 AM
7 players? does that include Jerome James? how come he wasn't playing?:cool:

FlawlessKB24
11-23-2008, 03:18 AM
their 7 players were:
Q
Nate
DLee
Duhon
Chandler
Roberson
Malik Rose

carlo4444
11-23-2008, 03:35 AM
dosent matter how they treated him its his job to play basketball with serious money involed....

DamnGoat
11-23-2008, 03:39 AM
i hate him too but they have treated him like **** this season, I wouldda said no too
Totally agree.

I don't blame him one bit for saying no. He's clearly not a part of the team, or in their future plans. They've stuck him at the end of the bench to start the season...why change it now?

Draco
11-23-2008, 05:23 AM
Dantoni was interviewed by John Thompson on TNT after the Lakers/Suns game. He didn't think that Marbury would be able to play spot minutes. That reason doesn't apply now that Crawford is history thus he offered Marbury a job.

TMAC94
11-23-2008, 08:13 AM
id have steph at houston ive always liked him but not for 20 mil maybe for 3mil

KB24PG16
11-23-2008, 03:55 PM
theres an article saying that he didnt say that

mrblisterdundee
11-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Mike D'Antoni put himself in that situation. If he would have let him play from the beginning of the season, even as a reserve, I think Marbury might have changed his attitude the same way Zach Randolph did. Instead, D'Antoni pretty much showed how useless he thinks Marbury is. Then when he gets desparate, he suddenly thinks Marbury will forget about the past. Why should't Marbury make a statement? Play him as a reserve or don't play him at all, but don't just use him as a temporary fill-in.

That was a matter of D'Antoni's overriding ego, and I think Marbury was in the right for not playing, even if he does get payed too much.