PDA

View Full Version : If Yao was only 7 ft. (not 7 ft. 6)...

michaellui11
11-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Will he still be one of the best centres in the league?

BlondeBomber41
11-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Yeah I think he would. I dont think he would nearly be as much of a defensive threat but he still is a excellent post scorer, shooter and passer.

madiaz3
11-22-2008, 10:26 PM
He would be faster and less injury prone, it all balances out.

PurpleJesus
11-22-2008, 10:30 PM
dwight howard is the best center in the leauge, and i would say yao would definetly not be as good if he lost 6 inches, i dont know how any can say he would be. his post moves are so good because he is at least 6 inches taller than anyone else on the court, and he is such a good passer for a big man because he sees over the heads of every defender

kswissdaf
11-22-2008, 10:30 PM
u cant really have a way of knowing

PurpleJesus
11-22-2008, 10:34 PM
you have a way of knowing because the advantage centers have over everyone else is their size, think if Dwight wasnt as stron as he is, or if shaq wasnt as big as he is, or if yao wasnt as tall as he is

The Prodigy
11-22-2008, 11:10 PM
dwight howard is the best center in the leauge, and i would say yao would definetly not be as good if he lost 6 inches, i dont know how any can say he would be. his post moves are so good because he is at least 6 inches taller than anyone else on the court, and he is such a good passer for a big man because he sees over the heads of every defender

i agree. His post moves are so slow, its just that players cant get up enought to his hieght so they cant block it. his rebound would go down with his points and his like .1 block will go down so he would be horrible. HE isnt even that good of a defender. YI WOULD BE BETTER THAN YAO IF THEYRE SAME HEIGHT

Ballah0liC1
11-22-2008, 11:14 PM
what centers are fast besides dwight

lakers4sho
11-22-2008, 11:19 PM
If Jordan was Iverson's height, would he still be the G.O.A.T.?? :rolleyes:

rosesbulls
11-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Can't know for sure but probably not. He has little actual skill and even though he is 7,6 he is a weak rebounder. His inside skills are only good because he is 7,6. I would guess that he would be a 16,6-7 guy which is eddy curry #s :pity:

IndyRealist
11-22-2008, 11:23 PM
If Ben Gordon was 6'8" instead of 6'2", he'd score 40ppg.

rhino17
11-22-2008, 11:24 PM
He would be a better player. He would get hurt nearly as often and he would be quicker. He may be worse defensively but the offensive production would make up for it.

And I think it is safe to say to all the doubter YAO MING IS STILL THE BEST CENTER IN THE NBA

he pwned Dwight all night long. Yao had 22/13 Dwight got 13/8

LakerzDQ
11-22-2008, 11:26 PM
If Jordan was Iverson's height, would he still be the G.O.A.T.?? :rolleyes:

EXACTLY.

if Lebron is 6 foot 2, would be still be as good?
if Shaq was 6 foot 8, would he have been so dominant?
if Dwight Howard is 6 foot 5, would he still be so good?

EAGLES3658
11-22-2008, 11:36 PM
i think he would

Hawkeye15
11-22-2008, 11:49 PM
What if Kobe were 6 feet tall?

lakers4sho
11-23-2008, 12:02 AM

That's the point. We would never know.

But, Kobe and Jordan have a lot of skills in their arsenal that would still make them great players. Both of them are excellent jumpshooters and defenders, so they can live off of that.

LeBrowns
11-23-2008, 12:05 AM
hed be Zydrunas Ilgauskas

LeBrowns
11-23-2008, 12:06 AM
That's the point. We would never know.

But, Kobe and Jordan have a lot of skills in their arsenal that would still make them great players. Both of them are excellent jumpshooters and defenders, so they can live off of that.

Allen Iverson has built a hall of fame career off being small and quick. So smaller is not necessarily worse.

lakers4sho
11-23-2008, 12:09 AM
Allen Iverson has built a hall of fame career off being small and quick. So smaller is not necessarily worse.

True. I never said a player is going to be worse generally. I just said that Kobe and MJ have a lot of skills in their arsenal that they wouldn't be really bad if they were half a foot shorter.

KB24PG16
11-23-2008, 12:21 AM
no one knows

SteveNash
11-23-2008, 12:24 AM

Why does Yao not only outplay, but dominates Dwight Howard everytime they meet up if Dwight is the best center in the game?

goku
11-23-2008, 01:18 AM
Why does Yao not only outplay, but dominates Dwight Howard everytime they meet up if Dwight is the best center in the game?

i wonder that too

JMan17
11-23-2008, 01:29 AM
Charles Barkley was 6'6 (actually his real height was 6'4!), and he still dominated at PF. So i think players like Shaq would still be dominate because of his strength.

For players like Yao how ever, IMO, he doesn't have much skill. His strength is not good compared to other bigman, and him at 7'0 would make him a mediocre center at best.

But what other people said, it's a question that can not be really answered.

KobeIs
11-23-2008, 01:29 AM
I think he would still be just as good. Hell, I think he'd be less injury prone if he was 7'

goku
11-23-2008, 01:33 AM
Charles Barkley was 6'6 (actually his real height was 6'4!), and he still dominated at PF. So i think players like Shaq would still be dominate because of his strength.

For players like Yao how ever, IMO, he doesn't have much skill. His strength is not good compared to other bigman, and him at 7'0 would make him a mediocre center at best.

how does yao not have much skills he has a hook shot and turnaround jumper and other post moves and can make freethrows at 85 %

SteveNash
11-23-2008, 01:37 AM

:)

The only centers more skilled than Yao are PF's that slide into the center position.

lakers4sho
11-23-2008, 01:37 AM
how does yao not have much skills he has a hook shot and turnaround jumper and other post moves and can make freethrows at 85 %

He makes those turn around J's because he's too tall that opposing players can't block the shots.

I'm not saying that he's not better than Dwight. I actually think he is a better center than Dwight because of the reasons you mentioned, but I think it is certainly tougher to make turn around J's and hooks the more you get shorter. Especially that centers are not as good in jumpshots as guards or forwards.

Kaptain Kanada
11-23-2008, 01:44 AM
Man... what if I was 8 feet tall??? I'd dominate!!

RocketsRule
11-23-2008, 01:46 AM
As some have said, it wouldn't make too much of a difference.

His defense and probably rebounding would get worse, but he would be much more agile and would be more effective on the offensive end. He would also be way less injury prone.

JMan17
11-23-2008, 01:49 AM

and have u seen where he makes those hook shots? his arms went over the whole backboard and he basically threw it down lol.

when ur that tall, it's not that hard to make FTs. but i don't think he would do that at 7'0. but like i said, it's opionion.

rosesbulls
11-23-2008, 01:50 AM

When you were younger did you ever play on those hoops were you could bring the rim down to like 7 or 8ft. If you had then you probably shot the ball alot when it was on that height. If you had you would know that shooting when the rim is 2 and a half feet above you is pretty easy but then you raise it like half a ft and all of a sudden it is ten times harder. So his hook shot and Turnaround and his Jumpers and his free throws would all go down. He has skill but he would be about Big Z or worse.

SteveNash
11-23-2008, 01:52 AM
He makes those turn around J's because he's too tall that opposing players can't block the shots.

I'm not saying that he's not better than Dwight. I actually think he is a better center than Dwight because of the reasons you mentioned, but I think it is certainly tougher to make turn around J's and hooks the more you get shorter. Especially that centers are not as good in jumpshots as guards or forwards.

He gets no elevation, pretty short arms for a guy as tall as he is, and has a pretty low release on his jumpshot. Nate Robinson has blocked him so it's not like his shots are that difficult to contest.

IversonIsKrazy
11-23-2008, 01:59 AM
i h8 when ppl ask these type of questions. wut if AI wuz 7'6, wouldnt that make him amazing. u cant take that height advantage away from Yao, kuz then the shortest players in the NBA would b the best kuz they have the least advantage.

goku
11-23-2008, 02:01 AM
When you were younger did you ever play on those hoops were you could bring the rim down to like 7 or 8ft. If you had then you probably shot the ball alot when it was on that height. If you had you would know that shooting when the rim is 2 and a half feet above you is pretty easy but then you raise it like half a ft and all of a sudden it is ten times harder. So his hook shot and Turnaround and his Jumpers and his free throws would all go down. He has skill but he would be about Big Z or worse.

also yao hands are small which gives him a soft touch

lakers4sho
11-23-2008, 02:01 AM
He gets no elevation, pretty short arms for a guy as tall as he is, and has a pretty low release on his jumpshot. Nate Robinson has blocked him so it's not like his shots are that difficult to contest.

Still, he has that height advantage which enables him to just chuck up the ball. Fortunately for him, he has a good aim and just needs to check his strength.

About the Nate Robinson block, Nate blocked the ball when it was still down, Yao wasn't holding the ball up so that's why Nate was able to block it. I want to see him try to block Yao Ming dunking the ball.

Some people have been able to do that...

SteveNash
11-23-2008, 02:14 AM
Still, he has that height advantage which enables him to just chuck up the ball. Fortunately for him, he has a good aim and just needs to check his strength.

About the Nate Robinson block, Nate blocked the ball when it was still down, Yao wasn't holding the ball up so that's why Nate was able to block it. I want to see him try to block Yao Ming dunking the ball.

Some people have been able to do that...

Nate met Yao and the rim and stuffed him. Besides that, Kobe's a foot taller, and Yao wasn't dunking.

lakers4sho
11-23-2008, 02:19 AM
Nate met Yao and the rim and stuffed him. Besides that, Kobe's a foot taller, and Yao wasn't dunking.

Ok, I rewatched the video, it was my mistake.

Anyways, I wasn't referring specifically to Kobe in my last post. But here's one of the vids of Kobe blocking Yao's dunk attempts, and it was a clean block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdwS72iG1u8&fmt=18

goku
11-23-2008, 02:36 AM
Ok, I rewatched the video, it was my mistake.

Anyways, I wasn't referring specifically to Kobe in my last post. But here's one of the vids of Kobe blocking Yao's dunk attempts, and it was a clean block.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdwS72iG1u8&fmt=18

weakside block

lakers4sho
11-23-2008, 02:46 AM
weakside block

a block is a block. Yao was wide open as well. It wasn't like he was sandwiched by a number of players.

LAKERS 24/7
11-23-2008, 02:47 AM
If Yao didn't have his height advantage, he'd work on other moves to counter his loss of height.

heyman321
11-23-2008, 02:49 AM
Could Jesus microwave a burito so hot that he himself could not eat it?

jg1573
11-23-2008, 02:52 AM
this thread is dumb ... its just turned into hypotheticals. point is ... if YAO were say 6' 11' or 7 he would not be as good because he would be the same size as all the other centers in the league. he isnt that strong and would not be a force in the paint because he lacks strength. he would get posted up on d and not be able to do anything. his blocks would go down. he would not be a 16/ 6 - 7. he would be more like 12- 14/ 7. he would have to work much harder for his points and on defense. Yao gets ten bounds a game cuz he has rafer alston and tmac putting up a combined 45 shots a game. Alston is a streak shooter and so is tmac. They take a lot of shots. If he were 7 ft there is no way that he would get as many bounds. I would take howard and jefferson in a board battle any night if Yao was 7 ft even now they still out rebound him. Case closed 6" goes a long way for a chinaman.

SAVAGE CLAW
11-23-2008, 02:52 AM
If my mother had wheels and whistled all the time, she would no be my mother she would be a train.

Ansy
11-23-2008, 03:04 AM
What if KG was 6'5" instead of 6'11"? Obviously we don't know. He'd be way more athletic and coordinated and his game would have to be different. Same if you chop 6 inches off of Yao.

tallboy12321
11-23-2008, 03:05 AM
rediculous thread.. boo... If Yao Ming weren't 7'6 then he wouldnt be Yao Ming.

KobeIs
11-23-2008, 04:01 AM
Man... what if I was 8 feet tall??? I'd dominate!!

No you wouldn't. I don't know you but I'd expect an 8 ft guy to be exactly like Kenny George :smoking:

JWalk126
11-23-2008, 04:13 AM
if I were as good as Kobe (in Basketball), I'd be in the NBA :shrug:

too bad I'm not

TMAC94
11-23-2008, 08:17 AM
i think so coz he can shoot 100000000 times better than dwight and owned him today.

Raidaz4Life
11-23-2008, 09:55 AM

he'd still pwn:D

astrosmaniac
11-23-2008, 11:04 AM
and have u seen where he makes those hook shots? his arms went over the whole backboard and he basically threw it down lol.

when ur that tall, it's not that hard to make FTs. but i don't think he would do that at 7'0. but like i said, it's opionion.

yea because shaq makes it look oh so easy :rolleyes:

JJ81
11-23-2008, 11:25 AM
No.