PDA

View Full Version : NBA Mock Offseason FINALS: New Orleans Hornets vs Miami Heat - VOTE!

BlondeBomber41
11-22-2008, 05:57 PM
New Orleans has homecourt Advantage

New Orleans Hornets Lineup:

C-Tyson Chandler/Steven Hunter/Robert Swift
PF-Amare Stoudemire/Glen Davis/Hilton Armstrong
SF-Trevor Ariza/Ryan Bowen/Corey Maggette
SG-Corey Maggette/Bonzi Wells/Ryan Bowen
PG-Chris Paul/Taurean Green/Trevor Ariza

Miami Heat Lineup:

PG: Mo Williams l Earl Watson l Chris Quinn
SG: Michael Redd l Carlos Delfino l Brent Barry
SF: Tracy McGrady l Jarvis Hayes l Eric Piatkowski
PF: Dirk Nowitzki l Robert Horry l Joel Anthony
C: Yao Ming l Scott Pollard l Stephane Lasme

New Orleans Hornets Writeup:

I won't bother delving into matchups with the benches. Neither of us built the best collection of reserves and it's clear the stars who play in this series will be the ones who decide who wins it.

C-Tyson Chandler vs. Yao Ming: Good matchup. Chandler is long, athletic, and quick. A lot of what Yao is not. Yao has a crafty inside game and an outside shot so there's no denying he can't be stopped in this series. Chandler is more than an adequate defender and should hold Yao to his season averages.
Edge: Heat

PF-Amare Stoudemire vs. Dirk Nowitzki: Another good matchup. Dirk can't handle Amare in the post and he really can't defend him at all. Amare's plenty mobile and athletic to give Dirk problems midrange and possibly out on the perimeter.
Edge: Hornets

SF-Trevor Ariza vs. Tracy McGrady: I won't even try to say that the Hornets win this matchup. Paul is a fantastic distributor and Ariza is long and springy so he can't be left alone especially on the fastbreak. Ariza has the same kind of build as T-Mac and his defense on the ball is very good so he could certainly hold McGrady to his season numbers for most of the series.
Edge: Heat

SG-Corey Maggette vs. Michael Redd: Once again, good matchup. Redd is a great shooter and a pure scorer but take a look at Maggette. He's bigger, stronger, more athletic, and is really more of a 3 than a 2, but his ball handling skills make him more than capable of playing here. He's given LeBron James troubles with his formidable athleticism and strength at the defensive end, so to be honest I think we win this matchup by quite a bit.

PG-Chris Paul vs. Mo Williams: Chris Paul is the best PG in the NBA. Mo can shoot and is a solid distributor but he's not a defender by any means, Paul is. Chris Paul will dominate this matchup and therefore the series any way you look at it.

I think the Hornets win this in 7. We're the far superior team defensively and I think that's where the series is one.

That said, the Heat are a fantastic team and very well built. In real life, it would definitely be a series worth watching.

Miami Heat Writeup:

PG: Williams vs Paul: Paul clearly has the advantage here being one of the best PG's in the league. But Paul is going to be depended on a lot. Mo is a decent PG that gives us 15 points a game and maybe 7 assists night in and night out. That is more than enough because we have four other all stars that can score and do other things as well. Williams is a decent PG for our star studded lineup.

SG: Redd vs Maggette: Redd has the advantage in this matchup due to the fact that he is an all star and one of the best players this league has. Redd can drain three pointers all day long on Maggette, who has poor defense. Maggette scores as well but not as consistently as Redd. Maggette will also be forced to run around screens going after Redd which will make him tired. Redd will be draining three's and driving into the lane all day long.

SF: McGrady vs Ariza: This is the matchup where we clearly have the advantage over the Hornets. McGrady is the more popular and better player. He has been to numerous all star games and to the playoffs. I know he's never gotten out of the first round but before he was depended to do too much. Now he's just another valuable piece on our quest for a title. Ariza is really athletic but McGrady plays good defense as well which will cause Ariza not to play good. All in all, T-Mac clearly wins this matchup due to the fact that he can drain three's, drive, and play defense better than Ariza.

PF: Nowitzki vs Stoudemire: This is by far the best matchup of the series. Both are all stars and two of the best players in the league today. Amare has the post game and mid range game. Dirk has the post game but not as polished as Amare's. But the advantage goes to Dirk in this matchup due to the fact that Dirk possesses the rare ability to hit the outside shot. Few big man have that and Dirk is one of them. Dirk will be shooting outside shots all day forcing Amare to step out and defend. Because of this, Yao will be dominating down low in the paint having no double team. Both players are great but in a one-on-one matchup, Dirk would win just because he can hit the outside shot as well.

C: Yao vs Chandler: This matchup is very intriguing. Yao is the better offensive threat while Chandler is the better defensive player. Yao has post moves such as the turnaround jumper and hook. He can also hit the mid-range jumper when left unguarded. Chandler brings defense which will lower Yao's stats a little but Yao will still produce because of his height advantage. Tyson will get into foul trouble and will be sitting on the bench most of the game. Yao won't be depended on a lot either having four other all stars. Yao wins this matchup because he can score on Tyson.

Bench: The Heat's backup PG is Earl Watson and the Hornets have Taurean Green. Watson is clearly the better player having a lot of experience. He is the better passer as well. Green hasn't proved much in this league. Backup SG's are Carlos Delfino and Bonzi Wells. Both are good players off the bench that provide scoring for their respective teams. Delfino has the better outside shot though. Backup SF's are Jarvis Hayes and Ryan Bowen. Hayes is the better player because he is more athletic than Bowen and he is a better slasher. PF's are "Big Shot" Robert Horry and Glen Davis. Horry kills Davis in this matchup because he has countless rings and playoff experience. He is also clutch come playoff time. Davis is the better post player though. Finally backup C's are Scott Pollard and Steven Hunter. Both are just average veterans that bring little to the game. Hunter is better because he has better defense.

Final Call: This has been a long journey for the Miami Heat. We have come a long way since our dismal season last year. After some creative moves this offseason, we have turned this team around. We have brought four all stars together that have never won a ring. They all have sacrificed their own game for the good of the team. The Hornets are a good team as well and I congratulate Catfish for getting this far. But I just think that Redd, T-Mac, Dirk and Yao is too much for the Hornets to handle. I forsee the Heat winning this series in six hardly fought games. Ladies and Gentleman, your 2008 Mock Offseason Champs, the Miami Heat.

superkegger
11-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Neither bench impresses. Heat have too much fire power in a series dominated by offense.

BALLER71
11-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Heat win 4-2.

LayZbone
11-22-2008, 06:45 PM
The Heat have a ridiculous amount of offensive firepower.

laker1000
11-22-2008, 06:47 PM
The Heat are loaded.

JJ81
11-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Hornets because they've got 2 Ariza's!

Heat have more experienced players.

DocUSN
11-22-2008, 06:52 PM
I lke both of yo guys, i need to know who will quit if they lose so i can vote for you.
I cant stand to lose either! :cry:

JermanJaysFan
11-22-2008, 06:52 PM
I am actually having a tough time with this one. I feel a lot like the Hornets are much more of a functional team than the Heat, who are simply a conglomeration of a bunch of guys who are really good ... I forsee dysfunction in that squad. But I would be an idiot to look past the incredible offensive firepower that they have...hmm.

Nets fan 93
11-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Hornets because they've got 2 Ariza's!

Heat have more experienced players.
I'm not sure if you are serious but... he starts and when he goes to the bench the coach can play him at PG if needed

hotpotato1092
11-22-2008, 07:02 PM
gotta go heat, although I voted for the celtics in the ECF

Bubba17
11-22-2008, 07:45 PM
I had to go with the Hornets..i want to get eliminated by the eventually champs

BlondeBomber41
11-22-2008, 08:06 PM
How phlp bj got turned the Heat into that lineup after having one of the worst records in the league last year idk, but he did a damn good job.

I still went New Orleans though. Think they can score plenty of points and will be the better defensive squad.

BlondeBomber41
11-22-2008, 08:06 PM
I lke both of yo guys, i need to know who will quit if they lose so i can vote for you.

hahahahahaha

Joshtd1
11-22-2008, 08:07 PM
I gotta go with the Heat here. Since neither team is exactly great on D, Im going with the Heat because I think their offense would be more unstoppable.

avsman05
11-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Heats offense is way to potent

phlp_bj
11-22-2008, 08:11 PM

I won't be quitting and neither is Catfish lol.

Catfish1314
11-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Good luck to you phlp. No doubt an amazing team you've built.

phlp_bj
11-22-2008, 08:15 PM
Good luck to you phlp. No doubt an amazing team you've built.

You too. We came this far and let the best man win.

jimbobjarree
11-22-2008, 08:56 PM
hornets....im amazed he got amare without losing paul and tyson, well done

Nets fan 93
11-22-2008, 09:44 PM
If you are talking about Dynasty... that is messed up and not why he left... Dynasty wants to live his life... I talked to him on AIM... he said.. he was working to be a pharmacist... He wanted to be permabanned so he could not go back to being addicted to this site... he doesnt want to waste all his time on the internet and I will admit it is kind of addicting, he did a lot for the Nets forum...

phlp_bj
11-23-2008, 10:12 AM
hornets....im amazed he got amare without losing paul and tyson, well done

Dirk can check Amare. Paul has the advantage but he won't run wild on Mo.

Catfish1314
11-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Dirk can check Amare. Paul has the advantage but he won't run wild on Mo.

Actually, he would. Mo is a very poor defender. And I wouldn't put money on Dirk being able to check Amare.

astrosmaniac
11-23-2008, 10:58 AM
wow, tied 16-16. although i would have voted for my jazz from last year (not really, both of these would blow me out of the water :cry:)

Durant is hype
11-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Heat

Catfish1314
11-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Congratulations, phlp. Great team. :)

clehmun
11-23-2008, 05:37 PM
yes the heat has a very potent offense, but you only need so much offense to win. it doesn't matter if you have four 30-point scorers, or three. i like the heat's team if this was 2k9. but if i were to judge this matchup realistically, i'd take the hornets.
they are a team. everyone on the team has a clear role. they have offense and defense, and IMO will have better chemistry than the heat.
yes the heat has great offensive players, but will everyone get enough touches to stay happy and be effective?

SensandRaps
11-23-2008, 05:53 PM
i went with the hornets

phlp_bj
11-23-2008, 06:10 PM
Congratulations, phlp. Great team. :)

Thanks. You had a great team yourself. Hope we meet again next Mock

Bubba17
11-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Good Job phlp_bj :clap:

phlp_bj
11-23-2008, 07:01 PM
Good Job phlp_bj :clap:

Thanks Bubba. I would like to thank all the GM's that participated in the mock. You guys were great. Hope to see you guys back for the next one. So I can win again:D