PDA

View Full Version : Most Boring Off-Season?

GA16Angels
11-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Is it just me or has this been the most boring, long, and drawn out off-season in a long time? There's been a total of about 4 trades only one of which was a real blockbuster and we've only had about 4 FA signings none of which were big signings, and it's almost DECEMBER!!! My question is, can you think of any other year that has had a more boring offseason?

YankeeFan28
11-22-2008, 03:50 PM
At least let the winter meetings start.

redwhitenblue
11-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Is it just me or has this been the most boring, long, and drawn out off-season in a long time? There's been a total of about 4 trades only one of which was a real blockbuster and we've only had about 4 FA signings none of which were big signings, and it's almost DECEMBER!!! My question is, can you think of any other year that has had a more boring offseason?
You must not pay attention to the offseason much. This one is going quite normally. Very rare does a lot get done before the Winter Meetings in early December. A few FA signings and some trades, but those meetings are where a lot of groundwork is set for future trades and FA discussions.

This offseason is similar to most (except after the 2006 season, where it seemed like everyone signed right away). The post-2005 offseason was ridiculous with Furcal, Beltran and others taking forever.

iam brett favre
11-22-2008, 03:53 PM
its pretty boring-still pretty early

CHRISDODGERS
11-22-2008, 03:54 PM
we really just started...

thejazlive
11-22-2008, 04:10 PM
we really just started...

ya and all the big boys that are on the market should go in 2-3 weeks at a time, just got to wait

yaowowrocket11
11-22-2008, 04:16 PM
It's only been a few weeks into the offseason! I wouldn't want all the trades and free agent signings to happen within a few weeks. Stuff will happen, just be patient.

Sportfan
11-22-2008, 04:26 PM
you have Holliday who got traded and Peavy could be traded so how is that boring? By the end of the Winter meetings the off season will get a lot more interesting

CY24
11-22-2008, 04:38 PM
There are so many big Free Agents out there. They are all going to have to sign. Then the offseason will start getting exciting.

sportwiz628
11-22-2008, 05:25 PM
This is retarted as we basically just started and know player signs in a jsut a couple of days but in a few days we will see more signings. Just calm down

whitesoxfan83
11-22-2008, 05:28 PM
wow i just had ever single move that was made in november of 2007 posted here, and i had every move made thus far in november of 2008. then as i went to post "an error occured in my firefox" and i lost the freaking post!!!!!!

in fact, there have been a lot of signings or moves made this year, but there just havent been a lot of big names. most of the moves have been under the radar.

J-Up= Franchise
11-22-2008, 05:28 PM
The offseason just started. This offseason will get rolling soon.

Tragedy
11-22-2008, 08:19 PM
At least let the winter meetings start.
Exactly. It JUST started. We've already seen a few decent moves made. We still have CC, Lowe, Tex, Burnett, and any big trades happening. It'll obviously get better.

Gigantes4Life
11-22-2008, 08:26 PM
I think someone says this every year.

McPeak92
11-22-2008, 09:25 PM
it seems like every offseason in every sport theres always people complaining about how boring it is and how next year it will be insane

Twinke Masta
11-22-2008, 09:32 PM
it won't be boring once the war for CC starts

CheeseOnMyHead
11-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Teams are probably gonna wait until most of the free agents are signed to make any big time trades. And it will obviously be more boring than the regular season, but that's always the case.

TheShowzOver
11-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Of course it's been boring, they offseason just started. Once Tex signs with the Red Sox it will be the best offseason ever

CHRISDODGERS
11-22-2008, 11:26 PM
Of course it's been boring, they offseason just started. Once Tex signs with the Red Sox it will be the best offseason ever

Hey he's back.... :)

JWalk126
11-22-2008, 11:30 PM
it hasn't really been all that boring, but it's still decently early to call

unwantedplayer
11-22-2008, 11:32 PM
it just started. wow....

DodgerBlue2008
11-22-2008, 11:51 PM
As eveyone has said, it just started so ofcourse not much has happened. I prefer it this way anyways. If all the big free agents and trades already happened, then what else would we have to look forward to for the rest of the offseason?

Gigantes4Life
11-23-2008, 12:15 AM

Why does it matter who Boston signs? They're already a lock for 2009 champs. 2010, 2011 and 2012 as well.

northsider
11-23-2008, 12:19 AM
I don't think it has been anything out of the ordinary.

07MVPPatBurrell
11-23-2008, 12:19 AM

are you like 10 years old ? it's been 1 month since the year ended, be patient

Rochesta
11-23-2008, 12:28 AM
I think the rumor mills are dry this year. I don't know if the journalists are playing it safe and not making those wild allegations, or if the GM's are keeping things under their hats.

Tragedy
11-23-2008, 01:01 AM
:rolleyes:

And when/if he signs elsewhere, you'll say? It's people like you that give awful names to each fanbase.

Why does it matter who Boston signs? They're already a lock for 2009 champs. 2010, 2011 and 2012 as well.
Lets be fair. Joe Mauer is a FA after 2010, so we can probably sign him to a 12 year deal. That'd mean we get the World Series title in 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, and 19, at least.

Dburch1102
11-23-2008, 01:02 AM
Once CC signs you will see a starting pitching dominoe effect. Especially with the winter meetings coming up

Tragedy
11-23-2008, 01:03 AM
Once CC signs you will see a starting pitching dominoe effect. Especially with the winter meetings coming up
Absolutely. There is no reason for any pitcher beneath CC (except for the guys that will sign 1 year deals) to sign a contract until he does so. What he does will dictate the market for the rest of the guys.

Sport
11-23-2008, 01:43 AM
Coco Crisp got traded and you think thats boring?

haha

Dburch1102
11-23-2008, 02:00 AM
and Ryan Dempster signed

con_artist
11-23-2008, 02:02 AM
It just got started and the big name FAs are most likely gonna wait it out to get the most money, just give it some time

whitesoxfan83
11-23-2008, 02:21 AM
wow i just had ever single move that was made in november of 2007 posted here, and i had every move made thus far in november of 2008. then as i went to post "an error occured in my firefox" and i lost the freaking post!!!!!!

in fact, there have been a lot of signings or moves made this year, but there just havent been a lot of big names. most of the moves have been under the radar.

Ok its been a few hours im ready to take a shot at this again....

(Via MLBtraderumors)

November 2007 (Excuse my spelling):

Tigers Resign Kenny Rogers
Cardinals Sign Casar Izturis
Mets Trade Milledge for Church and Schneider
Astros Sign Kazmat
Rays sign Percival
Brewers sign Riske
Twins send Matt Garza, Jason Bartlett, and Juan Rincon to the Rays for Delmon Young, Brendan Harris, and Jason Pridie
Rockies Resign Torrealba and Matt Herges
Astros Sign Doug Brocail
Reds sign Cordero
Joe Kennedy dies RIP
Angels sign Torii Hunter
White Sox Sign Scott Linebrink
Mets acquire Estrada for Mota
Indians sign Kobashyi
White Sox trade Jon Garland to Angels for Orlando Cabrera
Yanks Extend Rivera
Red Sox resign Mike Lowell
Braves Sign Tom Glavine
Mets resign Luis Castillo
A's trade Marco Scutaro to the Jays
Astros sign Geoff Blum
Kenny Rogers Fires Scott Boras :cool:
Astros trade Josh Anderson for Oscar Villareal
Yanks sign Jose Molina
Barry Bonds indicted (god damn our justice system is slow)
Yanks resign Posada and AROD
Tigers resign Todd Jones
Tigers trade Omar Infante for Jacque Jones
Yanks expected to release Pavano*this is important later ;)
Phillies trade Micheal Bourn for Brad Lidge
Red Sox resign Curt Schilling (Whoops)
Padres Resign Maddux
Blue Jays sign Matt Stairs

Greatest "What If" rumors of NOV 2007

Matt Garza to the Dbacks for Carlos Quentin?
holy crap if the twins got Quentin instead of the white sox....well i dunno what we would have done

Jake Peavy for Melky Cabrera and Phil Hughes?
reason number 124820347 not to buy into the New York media machine, i seriously doubt this would net peavy now

Alexei Ramirez to the Indians?
had the white sox missed out on both alexei and quentin, and had both gone to division rivals, well we may have finished 5th.

Mike Lowell to play 1st with Yanks?
wow....oooook

Pirates to trade Nady and Mclouth for Chase Headley?
the padres would have been wise to do such deal, if it even existed...

ok as for this offseason, that the creator of this thread seems to think has been so quiet:

November 2008 (thru 23days, still got a week left :D)

White Sox sign Dayan Viciedo
Cubs resign Ryan Dempster
Phillies sent Greg Golson to the Rangers for John Mayberry Jr.
Braves claimed southpaw reliever Eric O'Flaherty off waivers
Rangers sold 27 year-old pitcher Kameron Loe to the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks
Red Sox signed first baseman/left fielder Paul McAnulty
Athletics signed righty Chris Schroder to a Major League deal
Red Sox trade Coco Crisp to the Royals for Ramon Ramirez
Orioles signed pitcher Brad Hennessey
Giants Sign Jeremy Affeldt
Yankees Sell Rasner To Japanese Team
Nationals Sign Matt Whitney to Minor League Deal
White Sox trade Nick Swisher for a bunch of worthless garbage
Marlins trade Kevin Gregg to Cubs for Jose Ceda
Yanks Resign Damaso Marte
Marlins trade Scott Olsen and Josh Willingham for Emilio Bonifacio P.J. Dean and shortstop Jake Smolinski.
Phillies Sign Scott Eyre
Rockies Trade Matt Holliday for Carlos Gonzalez, Huston Street, and Greg Smith
Astros Sign Latroy Hawkins
Yankees to Keep Pavano?* What a difference a year makes ;)
Giants Sign Josh Phelps
Yankees Sign Sergio Mitre
Marlins Claim Dan Meyer

its about the same considering we still have a week of november left!

either your team hasnt signed anyone, or you dont pay attention unless its a big name.

this offseason has been as normal as the ones in the past....

Adalbjorg
11-23-2008, 04:42 PM

This is pretty standard. Matt Holliday was traded, he's a big name guy even if he is overrated. The Padres have looked to trade Peavy, but haven't found a suitor yet. Usually nothing happens until the Winter Meetings, then once one of the big name players sign with a team soon after the meetings, the other players start to sign.

The first big signing of the offseason usually sets the market. The longer these players wait it out the more desperate teams get and the more they're willing to overpay.