PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Candidates Thread.

WSUJJ
11-22-2008, 03:28 PM
First of all, Im glad to see everyone again I ahve been pretty busy.

Now lets move on. Please share your thoughts of who you would like to be out next Coach. I would prefer Avery Johnson, Jim Boylan, Flip Saunders, and maybe just maybe Mike van gundy

WSU Tony
11-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Pippen? Seriously?

taijes
11-22-2008, 03:49 PM
My first choice would be Avery Johnson just because I think he could teach the team some discipline. I'd love to have Flip back, but that will never happen; I think that bridge is burned beyond repair.

Mike Van Gundy...is he the little bald guy that used to coach the Rockets? (Isn't it Jeff or Stan? I can never keep those two straight.)

silverson
11-22-2008, 03:56 PM
I think I'd like Sam Mitchell because he is a good coach and knows his ways around Minny. Flip is a fans favourite. Avery Johnson is also a good choice. And as an outsider I'd put Billy Donovan (if he ever decided to leave the gators).

WSUJJ
11-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Who did Sam mitchell use to coach??

taijes
11-22-2008, 04:25 PM
Who did Sam mitchell use to coach??

Toronto Raptors

Yea I forgot about him. He'd be another good one I think.

WSUJJ
11-22-2008, 04:36 PM
ya.. who else.... Maybe Coach K from Duke...

jkjk

boeknows
11-22-2008, 04:56 PM
My first choice would be Avery Johnson just because I think he could teach the team some discipline. I'd love to have Flip back, but that will never happen; I think that bridge is burned beyond repair.

Mike Van Gundy...is he the little bald guy that used to coach the Rockets? (Isn't it Jeff or Stan? I can never keep those two straight.)

That was Jeff Van Gundy. I have never even heard of Mike Van Gundy. Does anyone know who that is?

Taylor also said that Whittman's job isnt in question right now. It doesnt appear that he is going to be fired anytime soon.

WSUJJ
11-22-2008, 04:57 PM
magic coach

boeknows
11-22-2008, 04:59 PM
magic coach

Thats Stan Van Gundy.

silverson
11-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Toronto Raptors

Yea I forgot about him. He'd be another good one I think.

Actually Sparky convinced me about him when we had the this conversation last year.

There is no Mike Van Gundy from what I know. Just Stan and Jeff who are brothers.

Honestly guys what would you think about a succesful college coach? I don't know if it could work.

taijes
11-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Couldn't be much worse than now...

I think Taylor will give ol' PJ a call.

WSUJJ
11-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Witmenn = Failure

tcman2007
11-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Witmenn = Failure

Sam Mitchell still coaches the Raptors, I thought. Yeah, he does. I think Flip would come back. I think the fans would welcome him back. I just don't know if he and Kevin McHale could have a working relationship anymore. You'd have to fire McHale first. And honestly, that'd be the main appeal of getting Flip back--getting rid of McHale.

Some other guys who I'd like to see coach the Wolves:

1. Rudy Tomjonovich
2. Jeff Van Gundy
3. Avery Johnson
4. Paul Westphal
5. Dan Issel
6. Paul Silas

WSUJJ
11-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Sam Mitchell still coaches the Raptors, I thought. Yeah, he does. I think Flip would come back. I think the fans would welcome him back. I just don't know if he and Kevin McHale could have a working relationship anymore. You'd have to fire McHale first. And honestly, that'd be the main appeal of getting Flip back--getting rid of McHale.

Some other guys who I'd like to see coach the Wolves:

1. Rudy Tomjonovich
2. Jeff Van Gundy
3. Avery Johnson
4. Paul Westphal
5. Dan Issel
6. Paul Silas

explain to me who these ppl are please.

tcman2007
11-22-2008, 08:03 PM

Rudy T.--Former Rockets/Lakers Head Coach. Won two championships as head coach for the Rockets ('94/'95).

Paul Westphal--Former Suns/Sonics Head Coach. Coached the Suns to the NBA Finals in 1993, but lost to the Bulls.

Dan Issel--Head coach for the Denver Nuggets. Defensive-minded coach who has reached the playoffs.

Paul Silas--Former coach of San Diego/Charlotte Hornets/Cleveland Cavaliers. Took the Charlotte Hornets to the second round of the playoffs in '01 and '02.

WSUJJ
11-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Why do u like Rudy so much

tcman2007
11-22-2008, 08:19 PM
'Cos he has proven he can win the title--twice. He is balanced as far as offense and defense. I could see him turning Big Al into a sort-of (now realize I said "sort-of") Hakeem. Rudy T. is just the best guy out there, IMO. That '94 team he had wasn't all that talented, IMO. I think that other teams, most notably the Utah Jazz and the Phoenix Suns were more talented, but he propelled Houston to the top.

WSUJJ
11-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Ahh he still looking to coach?

tcman2007
11-22-2008, 08:29 PM
I guess he's a scout for the Lakers. My idea is this: even if he don't want to coach the Wolves, Glen Taylor should at least TRY to persuade him. He could do this in a variety of ways:

1. $$
2. $$
3. $$

Glen Taylor should try a "Vito Corleone"-esque move: "Make him an offer he can't refuse".

WSUJJ
11-22-2008, 09:11 PM
A splendid Idea.

thesparky33
11-23-2008, 02:58 AM
JB Bickerstaff is probably a pretty likely candidate and most likely would be the interim coach if we did happen to fire Wittman...

Oefarmy2005
11-23-2008, 03:27 AM
We need to bring someone in from the outside, because obviously our assistants are worth as much as the head coach, which is jack squat.

WSUJJ
11-23-2008, 11:12 AM
JB Bickerstaff is probably a pretty likely candidate and most likely would be the interim coach if we did happen to fire Wittman...

I watched him in Summer LEauge, He was pretty good

cwilson21
11-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Candidates: Anybody other than Wittman.

silverson
11-23-2008, 04:58 PM
P.J Carlesimo got fired by Thunder. What do you think? Could you give me some info on him? I always heard he is a good coach.

PurpleJesus
11-23-2008, 06:37 PM
yo sparky i was gonna say bickerstaff too, he is the most reasonable coach to take over as head coach this season if whitman goes. isnt he only like 32 or something, i still remember watching him play college ball for the gophers.

PurpleJesus
11-23-2008, 06:40 PM
bickerstaff just turned 30 last month, is that to young to be a head coach?

WSUJJ
11-23-2008, 07:03 PM
he clicks with players on the team i think

silverson
11-23-2008, 07:06 PM
Young coach, fresh ideas. Only I don't know if Wittman is finished.

tcman2007
11-23-2008, 07:11 PM

Yah...there are hints dropped every so often that points in that direction. I think the Wolves are afraid to lose him to another organization.

WolvesFan23
11-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Coach K would be awesome but no way he leaves Duke that is a given. Avery Johnson is a good coach he speaks his mind and will cut down players via Howard, Flip was an amazing coach but McHale wont allow him to come back, I read an article in the star Trib. about flip called burying the hatchet it was good. Any former players that would be good coaches? not named Cassel. Carlesimo wouldnt be a good fit for us i think we need a proven winner and in this case its Flip Saunders, If glen taylor really cares he will put forward the best coach and its clearly Flip Saunders

boeknows
11-23-2008, 10:06 PM
P.J Carlesimo got fired by Thunder. What do you think? Could you give me some info on him? I always heard he is a good coach.

If i remember right before we hired Whittman as the intern coach we were looking at him for the head coach position.

tcman2007
11-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Wittman. No "h". It makes me feel good that we didn't hire ol' "Beaver Face," a.k.a. PJ Carleismo. McHale did show some common sense when he chose Dwayne Casey over PJ.

PurpleJesus
11-25-2008, 12:27 AM
speaking of Dwayne Casey, his defensive coaching abilities would greatly improve this team, remember when he was a .500 coach then McHale decided to take over as head coach and the team went something like 12-20 under him?

WolvesFan23
11-25-2008, 01:13 AM
idk why we fired Casey that was dumb he wasnt given much of a chance but now Eddie Jordan is available

boeknows
11-25-2008, 01:37 AM
idk why we fired Casey that was dumb he wasnt given much of a chance but now Eddie Jordan is available

We fired him because the whole team was walking all over him.

PurpleJesus
11-25-2008, 01:49 AM
hey, casey had our team at 500, no coach has done that since.

Oefarmy2005
11-25-2008, 12:19 PM
speaking of Dwayne Casey, his defensive coaching abilities would greatly improve this team, remember when he was a .500 coach then McHale decided to take over as head coach and the team went something like 12-20 under him?

It was more like 12-30, but other wise you are right on. I would take Casey over Wittman any day.

thesparky33
11-25-2008, 01:37 PM
hey, casey had our team at 500, no coach has done that since.

Wittman was the head assistant, and he took over immediately after Casey was fired, so we've only had one other coach after Casey... lol.

But I do agree that I wasnt and still am not fond of how and when we fired Casey...

JBoog35
11-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Let's get Dicky V. He would probably suck as a coach, but they could mic him up every game and it would be hilarious.

taijes
11-25-2008, 03:59 PM

No I think PJ would be an even worse pick than Wittman. He must be another one who the players walk all over. Look at what Spree did to him.

silverson
11-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Thank you guys for all the info you gave me.:clap:

basketball3553
12-03-2008, 10:42 AM
I hate when you have to do this in the middle of the season, but this is something we have to do. We need to get rid of Randy Wittman and think about going back to Flip Saunders. Flip actually knows how to handle a team, and I like his career coaching record a ton better than Wittman's.
(Flip: 587-396) (Wittman: 96-192) On top of that, Wittman has never led a team to the playoffs while Flip has gone there 11 times. I know that it's bad to change the gameplan up right in the middle of everything, but I think we would still be better off now and in the long run.

IowaAJ
12-03-2008, 04:33 PM
I want Eddie Jordan he got the Wizards to the playoffs a lot so he could be a nice fit in Minnesota. I think Bickerstaff could be a good coach this season and if he perfoms well he could become are head Coach. Avery Johnson is also another coach that I would like to see us try and hire. This team needs defense so the key is to hire a defensive minded coach. Doug Collins would be a good hire to because he is a good coach for young players.

Mauersota
12-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Sam Mitchell has reportedly just been fired, I say what the hell fire Witless and sign Mitchell, McHale would probably want to coach but who cares.

boeknows
12-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Here are some assistants that might be of some use for us as a head coach....

Del Harris.....assistant with Bulls
Dave Cowens.......assistant with Bulls
Randy Ayers......Assistant with Wizards
Phil Hubbard......assistant with Wizards
Terry Stotts......assistant with Mavs
Keith Smart.....assistant with Warriors
Elston Turner.....assistant with Rockets
Paul Westhead.....assistant with Thunder

now these guys arent well known but i was impressed with each of these guys for various reasons.

Some college coaches that wouldnt be too bad either are...

Nolan Richardson
Gary Williams
Rick Majerus

WolvesFan08
12-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Hire Flip or Mitchell, they've had success unlike NitWittman

Oefarmy2005
12-04-2008, 01:18 AM
I think that signing Mitchell would be a great idea, he's a great coach for a young team, just look at what he has done thus far in Toronto.

tcman2007
12-04-2008, 04:42 PM
I think that signing Mitchell would be a great idea, he's a great coach for a young team, just look at what he has done thus far in Toronto.

Yes. Fire McHale, hire Flip to be the new VP. It'll be the ultimate slap in the face to McFail. Then let Flip fire Wittman and hire someone who is qualified to coach NBA Basketball (Sam Mitchell would be nice).

WolvesFan08
12-04-2008, 06:00 PM
We have a great chance to get a good coach here (Mitchell or Flip) so lets not screw this up.

WSU Tony
12-04-2008, 08:58 PM
We need Witman for 1 or 2 more seasons to add to our talent base. At that point we'll be on the way up and we'll get the winning coach. This is just the cycle of coaches/teams which happen in almost every sport. You get the Dennis Green to win, the Tice to build, the Childress to.... (win?) and so on.

Oefarmy2005
12-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Mitchell is not just a win now coach, he's a great rebuilding coach and him being fired is like a sign from God that we need a new coach!

IowaAJ
12-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Randy Wittman: There is a great deal of frustration inside the Timberwolves locker room. Last night before the Magic game Al Jefferson confided that he didn't think age was a reasonable excuse for his teams struggles, when pushed on the subject you could see he did not have confidence in the game plan or that his team was headed in the right direction.

Wolves sources said with growing regularity Wittman is throwing his guys under the bus during his post games, and several times during the game Wittman would yell to his players "What the hell are you doing?" Wolves' president Kevin McHale is traveling with the team, some say it's to evaluate the talent on his roster up-close, one Wolves source said it was more to evaluate Randy than they players.

The Wolves have now lost three straight and stayed in Orlando an extra night to practice today at Amway Arena before heading to New Jersey to face the red-hot Nets. No one expected the Wolves to win the division, but there was a promise of 20 more wins this season and so far it looks like last year's 22-60 might even be a reach, likely prompting a change.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10815

Well we might get our wish because it looks like Wittman could be fired soon.

irondale9999
12-04-2008, 11:25 PM
i love the idea of bickerstaff. he will be a coach somewere very soon and he is basically our next coach in grooming.

WSU Tony
12-05-2008, 12:17 AM
This doesn't mean Witman will be fired soon. It could, however, be the first step in a long process.

ryguy2k7
12-05-2008, 01:40 AM
We need Witman for 1 or 2 more seasons to add to our talent base. At that point we'll be on the way up and we'll get the winning coach. This is just the cycle of coaches/teams which happen in almost every sport. You get the Dennis Green to win, the Tice to build, the Childress to.... (win?) and so on.

I agree...but the problem with that is what if Mitchell and Flip are hired somewhere else in a year or two?

We might need to pounce on them ASAP.

jhaggs
12-05-2008, 03:19 AM

You don't know who Rudy Tomjanovich or Paul Silas are? Either you're 14 years old or you don't watch a lot of basketball. Haha, sorry, I don't mean to mean to be an *****. It's just in my nature.

WSU Tony
12-05-2008, 11:19 AM
I agree...but the problem with that is what if Mitchell and Flip are hired somewhere else in a year or two?

We might need to pounce on them ASAP.

They won't be the only coaches looking for jobs in the next 2 years, trust me.

tcman2007
12-05-2008, 11:23 PM

Yeah, except you can't "be on the way up" when you play like garbage. We look just as bad as last year. By the end of the year, these players could be jaded about the franchise. That is not what we need at this point. We need to start looking up, looking in the RIGHT direction. I just don't understand why you'd want to have a "training coach" to run the team. Why not get the right coach now?

WolvesFan08
12-06-2008, 03:59 AM
If Wittman loses Saturday night, consider him fired. GM's dont fly with the team unless something is going to happen. He said to evaluate players, but that is bull. Bye Wittman.

WSU Tony
12-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Maybe not Saturday but McHale flying with the team is the first step in what could be along process.

tcman2007
12-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Maybe not Saturday but McHale flying with the team is the first step in what could be along process.

Fire him. Please, fire him. I like Randy Wittman: great guy. All the stories I've heard as far as people I know who have met him say that his an exceptional guy as well as being very knowledgeable about B-Ball...

But being nice ain't gonna get you anywhere. McHale needs to swallow his pride and bring back Flip. It's the only way. He's the only big-name coach out there who I think would love to coach the Woofies. He always said that he never would give up trying to capture an NBA Championship from the Wolves, and he never did. We fired him. Give him a second chance. This is the guy who helped K.G. become a superstar...why can't he do the same with Al Jefferson? He is just the logical choice here.

tcman2007
12-06-2008, 07:59 PM

It could also mean that there is a trade on the horizon. Whenever a team official doesn't deny that they may be looking at trades, it is a pretty good indication that there's something that may happen.

WSU Tony
12-06-2008, 08:17 PM
McCants? Looking to shore up a PG or C? (more likely a PG?) It would be really nice to trade some of this plethora of young talent for 1 REALLY talented guy at a position of need. Going into a draft with 4 first round picks and 1 need would be fantastic.

IowaAJ
12-06-2008, 08:31 PM
I have heard that McCants is on the block.