PDA

View Full Version : When Shaq left the Orlando Magic ....

JordansBulls
11-22-2008, 02:00 PM
When Shaq left the Orlando Magic were Magic fans expecting that to happen, or did that come as a shock?

superkegger
11-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Do you bring this up because of LeBron?

Nets fan 93
11-22-2008, 02:08 PM
I've wondered the same thing....

_Sn1P3r_
11-22-2008, 02:13 PM
I hate your sig. ^^ :):p

Nets fan 93
11-22-2008, 03:00 PM
I hate your sig. ^^ :):p
:)
I am glad!

JordansBulls
11-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Do you bring this up because of LeBron?

Sort of in a way. It would just be tragic for a young star to leave the team he played with to go to a bigger market.

ARMIN12NBA
11-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Sort of in a way. It would just be tragic for a young star to leave the team he played with to go to a bigger market.

Didn't you just say it would be great yesterday because the big stars in the big markets would rejuvenate rivalries?

superkegger
11-22-2008, 05:51 PM

Why? LeBron is bigger than basketball. I think it'd be great if he went to NY.

After like the first year, the Cavs had to realize that oh ****, this dudes the real deal, he's really good. Not only that he's a media and endorsement magnet. if we don't get on our horse and surround him with talent he could bolt. I think from pretty early on people had to be thinking the Cavs couldn't hold LeBron forever.

(Off topic, but we already are so **** it. I feel like OJ Mayo will be in a similar situation. He won't ever be the star Lebron is I don't think, but it's going to come that one day Memphis just won't be enough for this kid.)

JordansBulls
11-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Didn't you just say it would be great yesterday because the big stars in the big markets would rejuvenate rivalries?

For the league and ratings yes, but for a franchise who spent a lot of time barring the guy and being good to him to leave wouldn't be good for them.

SteveNash
11-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Shaq was/would be a much bigger shock than James leaving Orlando. Shaq said he wanted to stay in Orlando a lot more than James has and the idea of Shaq leaving hasn't been floated around 3+ years before he could opt out of a contract.

Of course idiot Magic fans that blamed Shaq for the teams loss to the Bulls didn't help any, which is why it's kind of hard to feel sorry for Magic fans.

cmellofan15
11-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Shaq was/would be a much bigger shock than James leaving Orlando. Shaq said he wanted to stay in Orlando a lot more than James has and the idea of Shaq leaving hasn't been floated around 3+ years before he could opt out of a contract.

Of course idiot Magic fans that blamed Shaq for the teams loss to the Bulls didn't help any, which is why it's kind of hard to feel sorry for Magic fans.

Yea Shaq wasn't hanging out w/ other owners and teams weren't trading and releasing players b/c they thought Shaq was staying. But on the other hand the Magic was an expansion team so Shaq staying their would've made them progress much faster as a franchise and h could've brung in a ring. I don't think LeBron can bring home a ring in Cleveland, or a NY team. But the bigger shocker was/is Shaq even though LeBron is the face of the NBA.

EddieB
11-22-2008, 10:03 PM

Reading behind the lines, JordansBulls hates Kobe and the Lakers

IndyRealist
11-22-2008, 11:51 PM

I'm not sure what this has to do with Kobe.....

ON THE ACTUAL TOPIC: I wasn't a Magic fan but I was absolutely shocked. There was no indication at all that Shaq wanted out, no hint of the animosity you would hear later, with Shaq trashing the team and Penny Hardaway in particular.

SAVAGE CLAW
11-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Nba is Crazy, in soccer theres not even a Discussion, if you are top 5 Material everybody knows that sometime in your career you will play for Real Madrid, Barcelona, Milan, Juventus, Manchester or Bayern.

Tell me Reallistically how many top 10 all time players of the Nba stayed in a Small Market?

SteveNash
11-23-2008, 12:12 AM
Nba is Crazy, in soccer theres not even a Discussion, if you are top 5 Material everybody knows that sometime in your career you will play for Real Madrid, Barcelona, Milan, Juventus, Manchester or Bayern.

Tell me Reallistically how many top 10 all time players of the Nba stayed in a Small Market?

May not all be in top ten but...

Reggie Miller
Karl Malone
John Stockton
David Robinson
Tim Duncan

Most NBA teams are in large markets anyways.

*Superman*
11-23-2008, 12:43 AM
I wasn't very old when this happened so i don't know. But i think we had offered him the max and he still turned it down, so as of now, i am pretty shocked.

SAVAGE CLAW
11-23-2008, 01:08 AM
Reggie Miller
Karl Malone
John Stockton
David Robinson
Tim Duncan

They only ones on a top ten ever list are Tim Duncan as Alltime Pf and Malone as his reserve but as far as i remember Malone ended up in a yellow uniform.

LeBrowns
11-23-2008, 01:11 AM
If LeBron loved New York that much he wouldve left after his rookie deal was up. Im not guaranteeing he stays but Im not going to let anyone else guarantee he leaves either.

SAVAGE CLAW
11-23-2008, 01:11 AM
I wasn't very old when this happened so i don't know. But i think we had offered him the max and he still turned it down, so as of now, i am pretty shocked.

Whats so shocking.

Imagine your work was a fun one in wich you had to drive cars and brag about the car you were driving.

You start your career on a Camaro , and you love your Camaro is nice and it runs fast enough to make you win some races.

Then your contract is up.

You are offered an amount of money to continue driving the Camaro.

But then Enzo Ferrari himselg goes and offers you just a Bit less money to do the same job driving a Ferrari.

What do you do?

SAVAGE CLAW
11-23-2008, 01:13 AM
No one is guaranting he is gone, in fact if Cavs get a good deal for Scerbizk and win this ring or the next he will STAY for SURE.

But as off now, the balance is a bit more inclined for Leaving that for staying.

*Superman*
11-23-2008, 01:15 AM
Whats so shocking.

Imagine your work was a fun one in wich you had to drive cars and brag about the car you were driving.

You start your career on a Camaro , and you love your Camaro is nice and it runs fast enough to make you win some races.

Then your contract is up.

You are offered an amount of money to continue driving the Camaro.

But then Enzo Ferrari himselg goes and offers you just a Bit less money to do the same job driving a Ferrari.

What do you do?
I keep the Camaro.;)

SteveNash
11-23-2008, 01:40 AM

Lakers offered more.

They only ones on a top ten ever list are Tim Duncan as Alltime Pf and Malone as his reserve but as far as i remember Malone ended up in a yellow uniform.

Forgot all about Malone as a Laker for some reason.

What would be your top 10 list all time?

SAVAGE CLAW
11-23-2008, 01:44 AM
^ Starters Magic , Jordan,Bird,Duncan,Chamberlain

Bench Robertson,West,Dr J, Malone,Kareem

$KnicksAndKobe$
11-23-2008, 02:03 AM
If LeBron loved New York that much he wouldve left after his rookie deal was up. Im not guaranteeing he stays but Im not going to let anyone else guarantee he leaves either.

nO mULAAA

SteveNash
11-23-2008, 02:04 AM
Magic - Drafted by the Lakers never changed teams.
Jordan - Drafted by the Bulls, went to a smaller market at the end of his career.
Bird - Drafted by the Celtics never changed teams.
Chamberlain - Drafted by the Philadelphia, moved with the team San Fran. Got traded and sent back to Philly. Demanded to be traded, got sent to the Lakers.
Robertson - Drafted by small market Cincinatti, trade to small market Milwaukee
West - Drafted by LA, retired in LA.
Dr J - Signed with Virginia, traded to New Jersey for financial reasons, traded to Philadelphia for financial reason.
Kareem - The only one that really fits the comparison.

SAVAGE CLAW
11-23-2008, 02:42 AM
Yeah, but come to think of it, Magic, Jordan ( i will forget his mature mans crisis), Bird, West never needed to drop out because they were already drafted by some of the best teams ever with some of the biggest markets ever.

Chamberlain just made journys from big market to big market .

The Point is that great players, move at last ONCE in their careers unless they are lucky enough to have been drafted by one of the top Teams/Markets because then they have no need to bolt out ( of course it has happened every now and then like Barkley scaping Philadelphia).

FlawlessKB24
11-23-2008, 03:21 AM

i used to think so, but upon further review, he is pretty fair