PDA

View Full Version : Article: Marbury for Marion Deal possibly in the works

JordansBulls
11-22-2008, 03:04 AM
Source: Newsday (http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/ny-spmarb1122,0,3909229.story)

A person with knowledge of the situation said the Knicks have "a standing offer" with the Heat that would involve sending Marbury for forward Shawn Marion, who is in the final year of his contract that pays him $17.1 million this season. Marion was an all-star for D'Antoni in Phoenix. But the Heat, who have a need at point guard, have declined.

Vinny642
11-22-2008, 03:05 AM
word 3 moves in two day for walsh

innovator
11-22-2008, 03:07 AM
walsh is just like playing association mode in 2k9 haha

LayZbone
11-22-2008, 03:09 AM
Who else was he offering? just marbury? how's that even fair?

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-22-2008, 03:10 AM
I dont get it. If they are going to trade Stephon, why trade him for another 1 year expiring. I doubt the Knicks would want to sign Marion after this year. Seems like its a move just to make a move

superkegger
11-22-2008, 03:21 AM
^^ agreed, its not like marbury is really the help they need at pg anyhow. lame.

LakerzDQ
11-22-2008, 03:23 AM
I don't get why miami will do this

DreamShaker
11-22-2008, 03:32 AM

They won't....

sunsalltheway03
11-22-2008, 03:33 AM
Yeah, the Knicks would make out like bandits if this deal ever went down, which I doubt it will.

FlawlessKB24
11-22-2008, 04:47 AM
it would be a package like Curry/Marbury for Marion
plus some spare parts

innovator
11-22-2008, 04:56 AM
cuz miami needs a PG, and marbury was one of the best PGs in the league beforen isiah ****ed him up

Draco
11-22-2008, 04:58 AM
Key words being: "But the Heat...have declined."

The interest here is all on NY's end.

Sport
11-22-2008, 05:16 AM
Yeah Stephon would just *****in Miami too.

So its basically a pointless trade, and its not like Marbury is young.

DQL
11-22-2008, 07:13 AM
I'm happy that the Heat have declined the offer. Unless Wilson Chandler is involved, no way they would do Marion for Marbury straight up

_Supreme_
11-22-2008, 07:27 AM

Of course we won't.

Pat Riley hasn't gone senile yet you know :D

_Supreme_
11-22-2008, 07:30 AM
it would be a package like Curry/Marbury for Marion
plus some spare parts

Adding Curry and his utterly horrible mammoth contract would make it even worse.

Imo it's an insult NY even offered this. Wtf were they thinking, that Miami would actually consider this garbage?

BALLER71
11-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Throw in Chandler and we got a deal.
You can have Banks too :)

Cavs_Fan24
11-22-2008, 09:31 AM
Makes no sense that Miami would even consider this. If they're gonna trade Marion they can get a better deal then just Stephon Marbury.

_Sn1P3r_
11-22-2008, 02:22 PM

Yeah. I think they are in more need of a C than a PG.

PurpleJesus
11-22-2008, 02:29 PM
wade and marbury would be fun to watch in a backcourt together i think. Of course i am thinking of marbury in his prime though, i dont know if he can really play anymore. Clearly Marion isnt a great player, he was the product of steve nash and D'Antoni

SouljahPhil...
11-22-2008, 02:33 PM
maybe they will add curry and their lottery pick for next year(unprotected) the heat will bite..also the heat will add banks...

MooseWithFleas
11-22-2008, 02:34 PM
If Miami does this... they are reallllllllllllllllllllllllly stupid

SouljahPhil...
11-22-2008, 02:43 PM
good for the heat if they don't accept this..

fishfan79
11-22-2008, 02:49 PM
sure if they take blount and banks too and add in their next few first rounders

uchiha
11-22-2008, 02:54 PM
why does the thread title say that this deal is possibly in the works when the quote says that the Heat just flat out declined this ridiculous offer

sportsnutzz
11-22-2008, 03:10 PM
why does the thread title say that this deal is possibly in the works when the quote says that the Heat just flat out declined this ridiculous offer

Yeah I have to agree

BoSoxGreen18
11-22-2008, 03:39 PM
I dont get it. If they are going to trade Stephon, why trade him for another 1 year expiring. I doubt the Knicks would want to sign Marion after this year. Seems like its a move just to make a move

uhm... free up cap for bron bron? duh

eugene
11-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Heat can get a better player for Marion. Probably I believe that someone from Clippers will be shipped to Miami for Marion, most likely Kaman...

MooseWithFleas
11-22-2008, 03:45 PM
The sides are expected to meet again soon, but Walsh would prefer to stay patient and hope to find a trade partner. A person with knowledge of the situation said the Knicks have made "a standing offer" to the Heat that would involve sending Marbury for forward Shawn Marion, who is in the final year of a contract that pays him $17.1 million this season. Marion was an all-star for D'Antoni in Phoenix. But the Heat, which has a need at point guard, has declined.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-sbmarbury225937678nov22,0,128965.story

ATX
11-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Why would the Knicks want to get better this season? Aren't they just dumping the whole damn thing so they can get top picks over the next two seasons to entice LeBron?

Raidaz4Life
11-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Wow can't believe NY had the balls to offer that....

kswissdaf
11-22-2008, 03:59 PM
The trade was declined .

AirJordanXVIII
11-22-2008, 03:59 PM
THis is ridiculous. How in the world are they gonna throw this trash up.

JJ81
11-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Probably a good trade for both sides.

HOZ THE KNICK
11-22-2008, 04:33 PM
we just trying to get atlease 50 mil under the cap so **** can go down.

davg31
11-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Man they are trying to trade a lot. Isnt this kind of what you should do in the off-season so ur team can get chemistry going in pre-season and stuff. This bunch will need to learn on the run.

Hustla23
11-22-2008, 04:46 PM
If New York does this, I hope they deal Marion for a pick because he's redundant among th e many SF's that we have.

Miami would never do this.

Marbury would just screw them up lol.

Then again Stephon might be hungry for a championship and play really hard idk.....

Pointless trade for both teams IMO

Gmen824
11-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Maybe Stephon + David Lee for Marion, makes more sense sense for both teams

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2772~509~3196~510&teams=14~14~18~18&te=&cash=

eugene
11-22-2008, 05:35 PM

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2772~509~3196~510&teams=14~14~18~18&te=&cash=

Agree, makes sense for both.

MiamiHeat
11-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Donnie Walsh was getting too confident :p

LayZbone
11-22-2008, 05:45 PM

switch Cook w/ Banks and his 3yr contract. :D

Gmen824
11-22-2008, 09:17 PM
lol thats what i had a first but no way, walsh dont need that.

TickTickBoom
11-22-2008, 11:13 PM

What are you talking about. The Knicks would be lucky to get anyone in return for Marbury. If they have a chance to get Marion for Marbury you do it in a second. There's a very good chance that Marion would resign with the Knicks after this year too because he loves D'Antoni and, he flourished under D'Antoni's fast break style and, the Knicks have money to spend. If I was Donnie Walsh I would trade Stephon Marbury and Eddy Curry for Shawn Marion and, that trade could work out great for both teams if Marbury plays ball like everyone knows he can instead of whining and complaining all the time like a girl. Eddy Curry is too big to play the run and gun style that D'Antoni likes to play anyway which is why they geot rid of Zach Randolph. The Heat getting rid of Marion lets Beasley play his more natural position also. This is what the starting lineups would look like if they made that trade.

Heat
PG- Stephon Marbury
SG- Dwanye Wade
SF- Michael Beasley
PF- Udonis Haslem
C- Eddy Curry

Knicks
PG- Chris Duhon
SG- Cuttino Mobley
SF- Shawn Marion
PF- Al Harrington
C- David Lee

That makes both teams better and, look at the Knicks roster now. It's starting to resemble the Phoenix Suns small, quick, run and gun type of teams that Mike D'Antoni is known for and, the Heat can move Michael Beasley to the SF position and Udonis Haslem back to PF instead of forcing him to play center. I like it for both teams!

daleja424
11-22-2008, 11:31 PM
What are you talking about. The Knicks would be lucky to get anyone in return for Marbury. If they have a chance to get Marion for Marbury you do it in a second. There's a very good chance that Marion would resign with the Knicks after this year too because he loves D'Antoni and, he flourished under D'Antoni's fast break style and, the Knicks have money to spend. If I was Donnie Walsh I would trade Stephon Marbury and Eddy Curry for Shawn Marion and, that trade could work out great for both teams if Marbury plays ball like everyone knows he can instead of whining and complaining all the time like a girl. Eddy Curry is too big to play the run and gun style that D'Antoni likes to play anyway which is why they geot rid of Zach Randolph. The Heat getting rid of Marion lets Beasley play his more natural position also. This is what the starting lineups would look like if they made that trade.

Heat
PG- Stephon Marbury
SG- Dwanye Wade
SF- Michael Beasley
PF- Udonis Haslem
C- Eddy Curry

Knicks
PG- Chris Duhon
SG- Cuttino Mobley
SF- Shawn Marion
PF- Al Harrington
C- David Lee

That makes both teams better and, look at the Knicks roster now. It's starting to resemble the Phoenix Suns small, quick, run and gun type of teams that Mike D'Antoni is known for and, the Heat can move Michael Beasley to the SF position and Udonis Haslem back to PF instead of forcing him to play center. I like it for both teams!

hellz no it doesnt... its awful for miami. In addition to making us worse now it also screws us in 2010... NY can keep its crap

rhino17
11-22-2008, 11:34 PM
marion is very average so its pretty even imo

daleja424
11-22-2008, 11:35 PM
marion is very average so its pretty even imo

:speechless: wow...

TickTickBoom
11-22-2008, 11:47 PM
hellz no it doesnt... its awful for miami. In addition to making us worse now it also screws us in 2010... NY can keep its crap

Miami needs a PG. Shawn Marion and Michael Beasley are basically the exact same player. They're both great rebounders, neither is a true power forward or a true small forward they're both somewhere in between those two positions, they both are quick, and they both shoot the 3 pointer very well. What's the point of keeping 2 players that both play the same position and, Marion is going to be gone next year anyways. Why not get something in return. Maybe New York will throw in a draft pick or something. Then you can move Beasley to SF where he probably should be playing anyways and, move Haslem back to PF where he is a force. If Stephon Marbury buys into the Miami Heat system then Miami probably gets the better deal because we all know when Marbury is motivated that he can straight up ball.

daleja424
11-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Miami needs a PG. Shawn Marion and Michael Beasley are basically the exact same player. They're both great rebounders, neither is a true power forward or a true small forward they're both somewhere in between those two positions, they both are quick, and they both shoot the 3 pointer very well. What's the point of keeping 2 players that both play the same position and, Marion is going to be gone next year anyways. Why not get something in return. Maybe New York will throw in a draft pick or something. Then you can move Beasley to SF where he probably should be playing anyways and, move Haslem back to PF where he is a force. If Stephon Marbury buys into the Miami Heat system then Miami probably gets the better deal because we all know when Marbury is motivated that he can straight up ball.

1. Marion and Beasley are not even remotely similar in anything other than height. Marion is a defensive presence, great rebounder, shot blocker, and finisher. Beasley is an offensive minded shooter.

2. Beasley is NOT a SF. He is not quick enough to guard 3s...

3. They will get something in return for Marion by letting expire... a chance at amare or bosh in 2010.

4. we dont need a player like marbury...we are doing just fine

...and there is no way riley takes Hamburger Curry

TickTickBoom
11-23-2008, 03:22 AM
Son I know basketball better than you think. I played division 1 college ball at Holy Cross in Worcester, MA for 2 years until I tore my ACL. My life is basketball. If I'm not playing ball, I'm watching games on Direct TV's NBA league Pass and, I can tell you right now that the style of basketball that Pat Riley coaches, Stephon Marbury is a better fit than Shawn Marion. Marbury can still play. People seem to forget how good this guy really is. With a starting lineup of Marbury, Wade, Beasley, Haslem, and whoever at C/PF that turns a team that would probably just miss the playoffs in the Eastern Conference this year into a #5 seed playoff team. I seen Marbury play in the preseason and he has still got game. The Miami Heat are a PG away from being a playoff team. That I know.

1. Marion and Beasley are not even remotely similar in anything other than height. Marion is a defensive presence, great rebounder, shot blocker, and finisher. Beasley is an offensive minded shooter.

2. Beasley is NOT a SF. He is not quick enough to guard 3s...

3. They will get something in return for Marion by letting expire... a chance at amare or bosh in 2010.

4. we dont need a player like marbury...we are doing just fine

...and there is no way riley takes Hamburger Curry

KobeIs
11-23-2008, 03:55 AM
walsh is just like playing association mode in 2k9 haha

lol perfectly said.

Sox Appeal
11-23-2008, 03:57 AM
Son I know basketball better than you think. I played division 1 college ball at Holy Cross in Worcester, MA for 2 years until I tore my ACL. My life is basketball. If I'm not playing ball, I'm watching games on Direct TV's NBA league Pass and, I can tell you right now that the style of basketball that Pat Riley coaches, Stephon Marbury is a better fit than Shawn Marion. Marbury can still play. People seem to forget how good this guy really is. With a starting lineup of Marbury, Wade, Beasley, Haslem, and whoever at C/PF that turns a team that would probably just miss the playoffs in the Eastern Conference this year into a #5 seed playoff team. I seen Marbury play in the preseason and he has still got game. The Miami Heat are a PG away from being a playoff team. That I know.

I'm going to disagree with you on this one. The Miami Heat are a playoff team RIGHT now in my opinion. Even though they don't have much of a PG, they still have Wade who's playing at an MVP level, they have Marion who's still a VERY solid player, and Beasley who's a stud. And in the East, all you need is 3 good players, and your going to make the playoffs.

OY!
11-23-2008, 07:11 PM
lol the heat would be high to accept that.

MiamiHeat
11-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Marion has been beasting the past 2 games

Yung N Fly
11-23-2008, 07:18 PM
If they need a pg they could have Marbury for a spalding basketball & some crackerjacks

carlo
11-23-2008, 08:07 PM

You may know your b-ball, but you have to consider chemistry when accepting marbury on your team. I'm a knick fan and after watching marbury these last few years I can attest to the fact that he's a chemistry killa extraordinare. It's not a bum rap he's gotten .... it's true.

I don't know what happened to marbury, but I think his early career success went to his head and created a twisted personality that believes he's above all mortals. lol ..... sounds funny hah ? but I think it's true.

marbury still got loads of skillz, but in today's NBA you need chemistry as well as skill to compete at a high level. Believe me when I say marbury is a total crapshoot when it comes to chemistry. Miami would be smart to let Marion expire before trading him for marbury.

HiphopRelated
11-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Miami is a bigman away from being legit, not pg and damn sure not Marbury.

When/if Marion is traded, it will be for a center or an allstar in a salary dump. Miami isn't going to make a trade to get worse. We could just let him expire

Marbury only reaches Miami if he's bought out

BALLER71
11-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Love Marbury, but why in the hell do we need a PG?
Chalmers and Quinn have been great. Ship Marion to the Bulls or something.

Sport
11-23-2008, 08:23 PM
I dont even think the Heat would have to give up someone like Marion to get Marbury?

The Prodigy
11-23-2008, 08:55 PM

pat riley isnt the coach, spolestra is and just cause u play dont mean u know basket ball

jnb58
11-24-2008, 12:09 AM

There are a load of ballers here. Don't worry about proving your credibility unless someone calls you out. You might be surprised who is on PSD.

Marbury has game that fits many teams well but he is a chemistry killer. His actions and game got him a 21 mil for just this year alone. I'm a Blazer fan so this has been a issue that is talked about a lot.

Would you want your young guys to replicate his actions? Dude refused to play! What does he do for a living?

The Heat need a big more than they need a PG as far as I'm concerned.

stevefrancis
11-24-2008, 12:25 AM
the heat might do it if the knicks throw in david lee

king4day
11-24-2008, 12:43 AM
Adding Curry and his utterly horrible mammoth contract would make it even worse.

Imo it's an insult NY even offered this. Wtf were they thinking, that Miami would actually consider this garbage?

see the Pau and Camby trades... It can happen

Maybe Miami knows they don't have a chance this year and would want to shave almost 5 mil more off the cap at seasons end.

Bausman
11-24-2008, 01:03 AM
[QUOTE=TickTickBoom;7428184]Son I know basketball better than you think. I played division 1 college ball at Holy Cross in Worcester, MA for 2 years until I tore my ACL. My life is basketball. If I'm not playing ball, I'm watching games on Direct TV's NBA league Pass and, I can tell you right now that the style of basketball that Pat Riley coaches, Stephon Marbury is a better fit than Shawn Marion. Marbury can still play. People seem to forget how good this guy really is. With a starting lineup of Marbury, Wade, Beasley, Haslem, and whoever at C/PF that turns a team that would probably just miss the playoffs in the Eastern Conference this year into a #5 seed playoff team. I seen Marbury play in the preseason and he has still got game. The Miami Heat are a PG away from being a playoff team. That I know.

Michael jordan was prolly a better player that you... even if you would have never tore your ACL... and he knows a thing or two about ball... he drafted kwame brown.... heat need a center more than they need a pg... chalmers is up and coming... so is curry's weight but the heat may be interested

Bausman
11-24-2008, 01:04 AM

Michael jordan was prolly a better player that you... even if you would have never tore your ACL... and he knows a thing or two about ball... he drafted kwame brown.... heat need a center more than they need a pg... chalmers is up and coming... so is curry's weight but the heat may be interested[/QUOTE]