PDA

View Full Version : The Padres offered Greene for Olson...

blb
11-21-2008, 04:44 PM
From the Baltimore Sun (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/baseball/bal-sp.orioles21nov21,0,7349509.story):

Aside from [Cesar] Izturis, the Orioles' other most viable shortstop options are available in trades. The Orioles have had discussions with the San Diego Padres about Khalil Greene and with the Oakland Athletics about Bobby Crosby, according to industry sources. This offseason, the Padres asked for left-handed starter Garrett Olson for Greene, but the Orioles weren't interested in the deal.

Wow. The O's could have had their starting shortstop for a starter who's nowhere near as talented as Matusz, Tillman and Arrieta, but they weren't interested...

bmurphy28
11-21-2008, 10:42 PM
:speechless:

OsFanRich
11-22-2008, 10:29 AM
Well, it's a shock some times when we see these things come and go.
But shouldn't we have a bit more faith in McPhail's judgment?
Let's give the guy some slack... after all we are way ahead of the past what? 10 years now?......

mark1125
11-22-2008, 09:58 PM
I think Greene could have a bounce back year of sorts if he got out of SD> Camden would have been a nice place for him to land. He will never be more than a .250ish hitter, but he could be steady 20/85 guy.

Brendan
11-23-2008, 12:26 PM
The FO knows what they are doing. I have complete faith in McPhail.

Dashtary
11-23-2008, 04:43 PM
bobby crosby

Brendan
11-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Im not sure but if they didnt accept that then they have plans somewhere else. Or have someone in house they really like...

Eicholtz
11-23-2008, 07:47 PM
If they traded I would've want JJ Hardy but that doesn't appear eminent. If they couldn't get anyone else get Greene. But I perfer Greene over Izturis anyday. I believe the FO will come through.

Driven
11-24-2008, 01:33 AM
Greene would be a short term solution, and he's simply not much of an upgrade. It would be nice to have stability at the position, and Izturis is an awful option, but Greene isn't that good of a starter nonetheless.

I would have probably pulled the trigger on this trade though.

Brendan
11-24-2008, 10:38 PM
Not me. I think Olson has potential and am only trading him for a SS i KNOW can be the answer

Driven
11-25-2008, 01:05 AM
Olson has potential, but has been a bust so far. We have far better pitching prospects in the system as well. Olson certainly has less value than Greene.

Greene is worth taking a chance on based on the fact that he's hit in San Diego's park. If someone like Izturis is our starting SS come April, passing on Greene is the wrong move.

vetoedbyangelos
11-25-2008, 04:49 AM
I wouldn't give up on Garrett Olson yet, but odds are he's a bust. Even so, Khalil Greene isn't the answer. I hope the Orioles don't settle for Cesar Izturis, but I won't be surprised if they do. MacPhail works deliberately, and frankly, I think J.J. Hardy will cost us too much.

A little off topic, but who else thinks Epstein is using Teixeira to deflect attention away from something else? He's learned his lesson after getting into public bidding wars and getting burned. I'm thinking the Red Sox will try to acquire Prince Fielder and J.J. Hardy from the Brewers. It makes sense if you think about it. They can give up Buchholz, Masterson, and Lars Anderson - and the Brewers already have an in-house solution at SS, Alcides Escobar. They could then use the money marked for Teixeira and give each player a juicy extension. Maybe they peddle Lowell to the Rangers for one of their catchers.

Am I crazy?

(obviously I am, and yes, I know it would take more than Masterson, Buchholz, and Anderson to get Fielder and Hardy - but the Red Sox could do it)

It also makes sense b/c the Red Sox are supposedly serious about getting another veteran pitcher, which means one less spot in the rotation.

bshone
11-25-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm proud of MacPhail for not pulling the trigger on a Greene for Olson trade. Haven't we learned not to give up on young pitching so quickly? Sure, Olson is not likely to turn out to be as good as some of our other prospects, but remember what happened when we traded John Maine? He's a reliable starter for the Mets and will continue to be for many years to come.

If one of our advantages in the coming years is our stockpile of young pitchers, we should continue to keep this advantage in tact by giving them all a real chance to succeed. Sure, Olson has had several more chances than many of the other young pitchers, but it's too early to assume that he can't learn from his experiences at the top level and adjust to become more consistent.

I believe that if the O's give each of their young pitchers a full chance to succeed, enough of them will be reliable enough to develop a strong pitching staff in the years to come.

That being said, I'm not sure about our other realistic options at SS.

mijit88
11-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I always liked Maine. But McPhail is a lot smarter than that. I think we will end up with izturez. He will bat 9th most likely. He is great defensivly and thats what Trembley wants, the bats will come from other places.

addon2008
12-04-2008, 12:41 AM
It's possible we have landed greene after all, according to(mlbtr) didn't give any details but greene was suppose to of said he will like baltimore because he is from Pa.

Titansboy8788
12-04-2008, 10:31 AM
I got this from espn:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3744063

The San Diego Padres have agreed to trade shortstop Khalil Greene to the St. Louis Cardinals for two players, according to media reports in both cities.

The Cardinals have yet to confirm the deal, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Looks like we need to look somewhere else for our starting shortstop. Once again, we missed an opportunity.