PDA

View Full Version : The future looks bright...

blb
11-21-2008, 02:54 PM
On his blog, Jason Grey of ESPN.com noted that Matt Weiters and Brian Matusz were among the most impressive prospects in the Arizona Fall League.

He ranked Weiters as the second best hitter behind Tyler Flowers of the Braves and Matusz as the second best pitcher behind Tommy Hanson of the Braves.

Interesting that, of the hitters and pitchers, the top three are from the Braves, O's and Marlins, in that order. (The honorable mention hitter is from the Cards organization and the honorable mention pitcher is with Houston.)

Here's the link (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3715293&name=grey_jason)

Brendan
11-23-2008, 12:28 PM
I say in another 3-4 years we are going to be one of the better teams in the league

addon2008
11-26-2008, 06:15 PM
I Don't Know About The Rest Of You But This Whole Thing Depresses Me To The Max.

Simpson4Heisman
11-26-2008, 11:24 PM
When will it end? How bad do we have to keep hoping for the future>? Years ago it was Hairston Jr., Johnson, Ponson, remember we couldn't give THAT much up for Rolen. Then it was Loewen, Roberts, and company who now have feel to nothing. Something is getting lost. A to AA everything looks great. AA to AAA they're still looking good. By the time the players reach the mlb they're terrible. Of course there's Adam Jones and Markakis, but where do we go from here>?

bmurphy28
11-28-2008, 11:30 PM
I Don't Know About The Rest Of You But This Whole Thing Depresses Me To The Max.

why?

braves95
11-29-2008, 10:16 PM
i knew hanson was without a doubt the best pitcher there but i didn't know Tyler was the best hitter there :) things look good for the braves in 2010

but the orioles will be a contender to IMO in the next 2 or 3 years

blb
11-30-2008, 11:37 AM
When will it end? How bad do we have to keep hoping for the future>? Years ago it was Hairston Jr., Johnson, Ponson, remember we couldn't give THAT much up for Rolen. Then it was Loewen, Roberts, and company who now have feel to nothing. Something is getting lost. A to AA everything looks great. AA to AAA they're still looking good. By the time the players reach the mlb they're terrible.

Hairston was a solid prospect. Flamed out and lost the second base competition with Brian Roberts. What was wrong with having two guys to fight over the second base job?

I'm not sure which Johnson you're talking about, but if it's Jason Johnson, he wasn't even a part of the O's organization until he was 25 and he posted a 3.80 ERA in the minors. Nothing special.

Sir Sidney was brought up too early and he had a serious attitude problem. Enough said.

And about the Rolen trade, what I remember is that Jeff Conine and Buddy Groom were the major league pieces and Erik Bedard was the top prospect in the deal. And that was in 2001 when the pitching staff consisted of Johnson, Sidney, Jose Mercedes, Josh Towers and Calvin Maduro. So what good would it have done to trade for Rolen anyways?

And I don't really understand the "Then is was Loewen, Roberts and company" bit. By the time Loewen made the majors, Roberts already had an All Star appearance under his belt. And I'm not really sure who the "company" is. Roberts came up with guys like Luis Matos and Eddie Rogers. And after Roberts was picked in 1999, the O's didn't make a good first round pick until Loewen in 2002.

The fact is, the Orioles scouting and drafting had been mostly terrible up until 2006. There was no reason to have faith in any of those players aside from Roberts, Loewen and Markakis. But this new crop is good. Chris Tillman, Jake Arrieta and Brian Matusz

Of course there's Adam Jones and Markakis, but where do we go from here>?

Where do we go from Jones and Markakis?

How about to Matt Wieters. Then to Chris Tillman. Then to Brian Matusz. Then to Jake Arrieta. Then to Nolan Reimold and Brandon Snyder. Then you've got lower level guys like Zach Britton, Brandon Erbe, David Hernandez, Pedro Beato, Troy Patton, Brad Bergeson, Kam Mickolio, Billy Rowell and Ryan Adams. Way further down the line you've got Xavier Avery, Oliver Drake, Caleb Joseph, L.J. Hoes and Rick Zagone.

Obviously, you never know with prospects, but the crop we have these days is much better than anything we've had in the past.

sleewizard
11-30-2008, 01:55 PM
I know A LOT about prospects and theres a few thing s ive heard about L.J. Hoes and Xavier Avery. With L.J., he hit in the .320 range in the GCL which may not be high competition but for an 18 year old whos never played pro baseball, its hard. Hoes performed extremely well offensively hitting for average, driving in runs, and even hitting a homer, which dosent happen much in the GCL. What makes Hoes special and gives the chance to go through the system quickly and become a starter in the big leagues, is he can ALREADY draw walks. He is advanced offensively because he has what few 18 year olds have. Plate Discipline. Hoes struggled defensively but that was to be expected because he was starting a completely new position. My opinion, Hoes will become a really talented player. Look out for him in 2012. As for Avery, ive heard from various blogs and experts that Xavier Avery could EASILY be the faster player in baseball if his bat can get him there. My opinion, it will. Xavier has good bat speed and although he may never have punishing power, he hits the ball well to the gaps and although he needs to work on plate discipline, i beleive he can work out th kinks and get to the Major Leagues asa plus plus defender and a plus plus baserunner with a .280 batting average hitting at the bottom of a lineup or at a leadoff spot.

vetoedbyangelos
12-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Our farm system is stuffed with sleeper picks. I personally like Elvin Polanco quite a bit. This year should be a good test for him, since he handled his league pretty well. I'm worried he gets overlooked, and in a year or two, some team pries him away in the Rule 5 draft. I don't know if the Orioles are high enough on him to protect him, despite their overall lack of infield depth. I'm certainly not sold on Brandon Snyder yet, but I like the strides in his offensive game. Defense definitely needs to improve, and that goes double (or even triple) for Ryan Adams. Miclat intrigues me as a possible utility infielder who possesses a fair amount of upside. Shortstop by trade, he could easily convert to 2B, where his offensive game is better suited. Could be another Brian Roberts, but I find it more likely that he'll never be more than a bench player. Hoes, on the other hand, I could see being Roberts' eventual successor. Avery is toolsy, but he's extremely raw. He could definitely make it to the majors, but he could also be another Darnell McDonald.

blb
12-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Our farm system is stuffed with sleeper picks. I personally like Elvin Polanco quite a bit. This year should be a good test for him, since he handled his league pretty well. I'm worried he gets overlooked, and in a year or two, some team pries him away in the Rule 5 draft. I don't know if the Orioles are high enough on him to protect him, despite their overall lack of infield depth. I'm certainly not sold on Brandon Snyder yet, but I like the strides in his offensive game. Defense definitely needs to improve, and that goes double (or even triple) for Ryan Adams. Miclat intrigues me as a possible utility infielder who possesses a fair amount of upside. Shortstop by trade, he could easily convert to 2B, where his offensive game is better suited. Could be another Brian Roberts, but I find it more likely that he'll never be more than a bench player. Hoes, on the other hand, I could see being Roberts' eventual successor. Avery is toolsy, but he's extremely raw. He could definitely make it to the majors, but he could also be another Darnell McDonald.

Avery's certainly getting a head start on dethroning McDonald as the 5'11" King of Strikeouts. D-Mac struck out 123 times (36 walks) as a 19-year-old in A and A+ in 1998. Avery (X-Ave?) struck out 51 times (10 walks) in Rookie Ball as an 18-year-old. The fact that Avery still managed to hit .280 and get on base at a .333 clip is what leads me to believe that he's going to be a solid big league ballplayer. Can't wait to see what he does in '09.

serGeant
12-02-2008, 02:03 AM
Just imagine if that 2006 trade had gone through...sending Bedard and Gibbons to Philly for Abreu. No Jones, Sherrill, etc. from the Mariners heist.