PDA

View Full Version : French NT Thread: Wrist Injury Knocks Piétrus Out For Summer (Post #15)

JWalk126
04-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Source: FIBAEurope.com (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_9FWNix2xJss0LsJMAnYop0.container_frontpage.ar ticleMode_on.html)

France's road to Poland for EuroBasket 2009 just got a little harder to travel following captain Boris Diaw's announcement that he will not to play in this summer's qualifying games against Turkey, Ukraine and Belgium.

Les Bleus, now under the guidance of veteran coach Michel Gomez, face a very difficult EuroBasket Division A campaign but Diaw says he needs to have a rest.

In an interview with L'Equipe, Phoenix Suns star Diaw said: "I will not be able to be there.

"My club is not in favour of it. It´s a firm and definite decision.

"I have not stopped playing with the national team for 14 years. I have played in every competition, whether for the juniors or seniors, but I can no longer play 12 months out of 12 every year. I need a break."

Diaw then warned France's opponents not to underestimate the French.

"The French national team has a reservoir of players that are strong and capable of qualifying," he said.

"I am not ruling out going to support them during my holiday if I can."

France begin their preparations for the qualifiers in Vichy on July 12 before playing in tournaments in Strasbourg and Riga in August.

Having outstanding talent in a squad does not always guarantee success, as last summer proved for France when they finished eighth at the EuroBasket to miss out on the FIBA Olympic Qualifying tournament.

Among the players in that French team were Diaw, Tony Parker, Ronny Turiaf.

JWalk126
06-07-2008, 03:01 PM
FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_liUtR8PlJgYePIa-dFjbW1.articleMode_on.container_frontpage.html)

Boris Diaw has taken a 180-degree turn and announced he is now able to play for France after previously ruling himself out of this summer's EuroBasket 2009 qualifying games.

The France captain has the blessing of his club, the Phoenix Suns, although it's unclear what kind of insurance, if any at all, France will be required to take out on Diaw so he can play.

"Yes I can confirm it," Diaw said in L'Equipe, when asked if he is now available for France.

"The only thing that I don't know yet is whether I have been included on the list of 14 players for insurance (a list released by the NBA for players that need insurance because they are injury prone. He was on the list last summer).

"But I am happy to be able to play. Before it was not a consideration because I could not have been able to rest in order to start the campaign well. But after the team's (early play-off elimination) ...things happened at the club and it was more a time of reflection to be able to re-charge."

Diaw will have a very different NBA season coming up as his coach, Mike D'Antoni, left to grab the helm of the New York Knicks.

Diaw stressed that he was unhappy that his former national team coach, Claude Bergeaud, had been made a scapegoat for France's eighth-place finish that prevented them from taking part in the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament

While the France Basketball Federation reviewed last summer's performances, Bergeaud stepped down from his post in the belief that he would not be retained.

"I was sad to see Claude Bergeaud depart from the national team," Diaw said.

"I thought he deserved to remain with the group and to have the opportunity to bounce back.

"He has achieved two of the best results of all time with the national team after the fifth place finish at the (2006) World Championship and the bronze medal at the EuroBasket (2005).

"He has turned the page and so have we.

"I have no regrets. I am happy to have played in all the tournaments but disappointed to have lost games and finished eighth in the EuroBasket and missed out on the Olympics, but zero regrets."

JWalk126
11-16-2008, 02:59 AM
I haven't seen any of these articles in a while

Source: Ball in Europe.com (http://www.ballineurope.com/countries/france/after-the-olympics-whats-the-future-of-france/) (Click for complete article)

In the line of various articles I have written about the future of national teams, I will today discuss France. Or let’s say, I will try. When I say “try,” I mean in fact that it is very difficult to discuss the future of a team that has no players (who still want to play for the national team) and no coach.....

if the source link doesn't work, let me know so when it eventually does, I'll just edit/post the whole article in

JWalk126
11-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Parker Not Concerned By Ankle Woes
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_2XV2kEo8JcAGWPfceyRTy0.container_frontpage.ar ticleMode_on.html)

France point guard Tony Parker has had his share of ankle injuries as a player in the NBA with the San Antonio Spurs and that very problem recently forced him to the sidelines already this season.

But he's be fortunate, he says, to have avoided a big injury.

"It is my seventh sprain on the left ankle but I was talking about this with my dad the other day and I feel lucky because I have not sustained anything major in my career," he said to www.tp9.net.

"It is true that my ankle is a bit more fragile but two weeks ago, I injured it by myself like a big boy (center).

"It is too bad because at the time, I was the leading scorer in the league and I was playing the basketball of my life and it would have been nice to move along that path."

Indeed, Parker had just hit a career-high 55 points in a double overtime win over Minnesota . Fourty-eight hours later he rolled the ankle on a drive to the basket.

Parker, who will lead France next summer when they attempt to win the Additional Qualifying Round for EuroBasket 2009, could return to the Spurs line-up as early as next week.

"My ankle is a lot better and I've started to run and shoot on Tuesday," he said.

"It had been two or three days that I could walk normally but I could not fully put some weight on the ankle.

"Now the decision is mine, either I come back next week or I wait to come back at 100% strength.

"For now, nothing has been decided and I will wait next week to take a decision. I do not want to hurry anything with the risk of sustaining another injury."

JWalk126
11-21-2008, 11:46 AM
FIBA.com has a longer article regarding Tony Parker, and it can be read Here (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/28935/arti.html)

JWalk126
12-08-2008, 08:50 AM
Messina says no to France
Source: FIBA.com (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/29027/arti.html)

MILAN (EuroBasket 2009) – It has emerged that Italian coaching great Ettore Messina was given the chance to coach France next summer but the CSKA Moscow boss turned down the opportunity because he didn’t want to be a “traitor”.

Messina was in Milan leading CSKA against Armani Jeans Milano in the Euroleague and a story appeared in the La Stampa newspaper in which the veteran tactician admitted the French job could have been his but he said he simply could not coach against his homeland in the Additional Qualifying Round for EuroBasket 2009.

Only one of the six national teams in the additional qualifiers can reach the Final Round in Poland.

"The truth is that I did turn down the opportunity to coach the French national team,” Messina said in La Stampa.

"But not for rules that could pose a problem, but because I will never be a traitor to my country.

"We will play against France in a game that means life and death to all of Italian basketball.

“I will never coach a team that could decide negatively the destiny of my national team."

France, Italy and Finland face each other in one Additional Qualifying Round group while Portugal, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Belgium square off in the other.

The winners of the two groups then meet each other and the national side that triumphs in that meeting advances to the Final Round in Poland.

Messina once coached Italy’s national team.

He has been persistently linked with the Toronto Raptors the past couple of years and even gave a coaching clinic on big men before the NBA season in the Ontario city before CSKA Moscow took on the Raptors in a pre-season scrimmage.

The speculation won’t be dying anytime soon after the Raptors’ sacking of coach Sam Mitchell on Wednesday.

Toronto, the NBA’s only Canadian team, replaced Mitchell with former Canada coach Jay Triano.

Messina has also been linked with the Barcelona coaching post.

“Regarding the rumors of going to Barcelona, I can only say that I don´t know what I will do at the end of the season,” he said.

JWalk126
03-10-2009, 01:20 AM
French National Team Interested in Larry Brown
Source: Sporting News (Link Below)

A French basketball website (yes, there is such a thing) called BasketNews is reporting that the French basketball federation (FFBB) has contacted Larry Brown about becoming the next head coach of France’s national team...
For Complete Article, Click Here (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/17421/french_national_team_interested_in_larry_brown)

JWalk126
04-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Parker Commits Through 2012 Olympics
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_KNce8jInH7Qj1EsyH5rjn2.compID_qMRZdYCZI6EoANOr Uf9le2.coid_koNJMgfZGt6xPc2z2aPRb2.articleMode_on. html)

France have received a long-term commitment to the national team by their biggest star, Tony Parker.

The San Antonio Spurs point guard met with Patrick Beesley, the head of the men's basketball team, and sports manager Crawford Palmer before a recent game against Cleveland and confirmed his availability to Les Bleus through the 2012 Olympics.

Parker signed a letter of engagement through the London Games.

Palmer, an Olympic silver-medal winner with France in 2000, and Beesley met with other French players based in North America and spoke with their respective NBA teams to gauge the likelihood of their taking part.

Other players counted on by national team boss Vincent Collet will also need to sign the letter of engagement in the coming weeks.

France will this summer attempt to win the Additional Qualifying Round for EuroBasket 2009 in Poland.

They will go up against Italy and Finland in Group B, with the side that finishes top to take on the winner of Group A - Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belgium or Portugal.

TheGreatDane17
04-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Nicolas Batum wants to play for the French team. Should give them a lock-down defender.

JWalk126
05-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_jeIffHP8JhwRq4eFSV3Og3.articleMode_on.contain er_frontpage.html)

The list of players that have signed "la Charte d'engagement" (Charter of Commitment) to play for France's national team continues to grow with the EuroChallenge's outstanding Nando de Colo the latest to put his signature on the document.

De Colo, who represented Les Bleus last summer in qualifying games for EuroBasket 2009, had 24 points for Cholet in the final of the EuroChallenge nine days ago when his side suffered a narrow defeat to Virtus BolognaFiere.

Tony Parker, Joseph Gomis and Florent Pietrus are others who have signed the charter.

Among the leading players France would like to add is Joakim Noah, the son of former French Open tennis winner Yannick Noah.

Joakim Noah just completed his second campaign with the Chicago Bulls and was terrific in the first-round series against Boston when he averaged 13.1 rebounds against the defending champions.

Despite his excellence, the Celtics won the series 4-3 to end Noah's season.

"I feel like I know what I have to do to get better as a player," Noah said.

"Obviously, I have to get stronger. Kendrick Perkins (Boston) was really strong out there. He was pushing me around too much. I feel like I have a lot of strength to gain in the offseason, especially in my lower body. Get better offensively. Maybe get some right hooks and left hooks. Work on that. I feel I have a way to go with that."

Noah has not confirmed that he will play for France this season, even though he is expected to be named in the preliminary squad for the EuroBasket.

His priority is to keep the momentum going in his burgeoning NBA career.

"It's going to take a lot of hard work this off-season because I feel we have an opportunity to do something good with this unit if the Bulls decide to keep it intact," he said.

"I feel like I learned a lot from this play-off experience. Even during the tough times. It makes me who I am, the good times and bad times.

"The thing that's hard now is the season's over.

"That's always tough. I think we have a chance to do something special ... We had so many great moments the last two weeks."

France will compete in the Additional Qualifying Round For EuroBasket 2009.

JWalk126
05-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Preliminary Squad Named for Last Chance Round
Source: FIBA Europe (http://www.fibaeurope.com/coid_nKeWD1OPI0g60VvYvDbal0.articleMode_on.contain er_frontpage.html)

New France coach Vincent Collet has named a preliminary squad of 29 players ahead of this summer's Additional Qualifying Round for the EuroBasket in Poland and as expected, emerging Chicago Bulls center Joakim Noah is in the group.

Noah, the son of former French Open tennis champion Yannick Noah and a two-time NCAA champions with the Florida Gators, reached the play-offs this year in his second NBA campaign and was instrumental for the Bulls as they pushed the defending champions Boston Celtics to seven games.

Noah was born in New York but has a French passport.

Numerous other NBA players are in the preliminary group.

Portland rookie Nicolas Batum, who played for Collet at their former club Le Mans last season, Charlotte Bobcats reserve Alexis Ajinca, Miami Heat guard Yakhouba Diawara, San Antonio reserve Ian Mahinmi and Golden State center Ronny Turiaf are all in.

Mickael Pietrus, who was left off France's EuroBasket 2007 squad but has impressed this year with Orlando, has been named while arguably the two more important players on the list are Tony Parker of San Antonio and Boris Diaw of Charlotte.

Collet, the coach of French outfit ASVEL, has left no stone unturned and rewarded French-based players for their outstanding campaigns and that includes the fabulous four of Nando De Colo, Claude Marquis, Rodrigue Beaubois and Thomas Larrouquis for EuroChallenge runners-up Cholet.

Pietrus' brother, Florent (Pamesa Valencia), is included along with Unicaja Malaga's explosive scoring guard Joseph Gomis.

France have the short-term goal of reaching the EuroBasket in Poland while the long-term aim is to qualify for the 2012 Olympics in London.

"The desire is to have a group headed towards 2012," Collet said.

"Many young players (from this list) will not be selected (to the national team) this year but we think they can integrate in the team of France in time."

Collet says the mood in the French camp is very upbeat.

"I felt the desire and enthusiasm from the players," he said.

France will have a training camp in Vichy from July 12-19 before travelling to Strasbourg and staying there from July 22-26.

While in Strasbourg, France will go up against Austria (July 24), Belgium (July 25) and the Czech Republic (July 26).

Collet's team will then be in Paris from July 27 to August 2. France's last warm-up game is against Hungary on July 30 at Coubertin in Paris.

"The next step is the selection of 15 players for the period of Vichy (from 12 to 19 July), which will be announced before the end of the Championship of France during the first half of June," Collet said.

France will take on Italy and Finland in Group B of the Additional Qualifying Round in August. Should they finish top of that pool, Les Bleus will go up against the winner of Group A - Portugal, Bosnia and Herzegovina or Belgium - in a home-and-away tie to determine the last team that will play in EuroBasket Final Round in Poland.

France's first game in the Additional Qualifying Round is in Cagliari against Italy on August 5.

While the task ahead is immense, the French will like their chances of reaching Poland and if they make it, there will be a lot of experts predicting that France will reach the podium.

French Preliminary Squad:

Alexis AJINCA, Nicolas BATUM, Rodrigue BEAUBOIS, Yannick BOKOLO, Nando DE COLO, Aldo CURTI, Mamoutou DIARRA, Yakhouba DIAWARA, Boris DIAW, Antoine DIOT, Laurent FOIREST, Mickaël GELABALE, Joseph GOMIS, Dounia ISSA, Alain KOFFI, Thomas LARROUQUIS, Abdoulaye M'BAYE, Ian MAHINMI, Claude MARQUIS, Adrien MOERMAN, Joakim NOAH, Tony PARKER, Marc-Antoine PELLIN, Johan PETRO, Florent PIETRUS, Mickaël PIETRUS, Ali TRAORe, Ronny TURIAF, Ludovic VATY.

jimbobjarree
05-26-2009, 06:17 PM
quite a sick team Parker-Pietrus-Batum-Diaw-Noah with Turiaf on the bench, quite good.

JWalk126
06-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Noah To Join France In Vichy
Source: EuroBasket2009 (http://www.eurobasket2009.org/en/coid_ieVcrjMZIZcJD-QxBrpDF0.articleMode_on.html)

Joakim Noah won't play in the Additional Qualifying Round for the EuroBasket in Poland but he will meet up with the France squad when they begin their preparations in July.
France coach Vincent Collet has reduced his 29-man preliminary group to 18 with Noah among those still involved.
The Bulls have told France they do not want Noah, who excelled with the Bulls is second NBA campaign, to play in the additional qualifiers, including the group games against Italy and Finland, or at the EuroBasket.
But they have agreed their star can work out with the national side.
"The Chicago Bulls executives are serious people," said Patrick Beesley, the director of the France team, in L'Equipe.
"We have been able to bend certain things but now there is a deal and we have to remain within those parameters."
The New York-born Noah, whose father is former French Open winner Yannick Noah and his mother, Cécilia Rodhe, was Miss Sweden in 1978, will join the national team for the beginning of their training in Vichy on July 2.
Mickael Pietrus is also included although it is understood he may need a minor operation and won't play in the additional qualifiers.
Collet said in a statement issued by the French Basketball Federation: "The sporting aims are very clear. Our first will be to qualify for the EuroBasket.
"We know very well that if we are able to qualify for that we will have possibilities to do good things. But in order to arrive, we need to win the first stage.
"We need to take it one step at a time starting with our games against Italy on August 5.
"I have spoken to the players they are all determined and aware of what is needed."
France will host a friendly tournament in Strasbourg at the end of July and the final squad will then be named.

JWalk126
07-08-2009, 02:18 AM
Vaty Replaces Moerman In France Squad
Source:EuroBasket 2009 (http://www.eurobasket2009.org/en/coid_c3XKjnstIIMghyRa,FDW,1.articleMode_on.html)

Adrien Moerman has pulled out of the France squad ahead of their preparations for the EuroBasket 2009 Additional Qualifying Round so he can have minor surgery.
The operation will sideline the Entente Orleans player for 30 days.
France have replaced the 2.02m star with Pau Orthez's 2.06m center Ludovic Vaty.
In August, France will compete against Italy and Finland in Group B of the AQR.
If they finish top of that pool, Vincent Collet's team will go up against the side that wins Group A (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belgium or Portugal) in a home-and-away tie for the right to play at the EuroBasket in Poland.
Their preparations for the AQR tip off on July 13 in Vichy, France.

JWalk126
07-08-2009, 02:23 AM
Wrist Injury Knocks France’s Piétrus Out For Summer
Source: EuroBasket 2009 (http://www.eurobasket2009.org/en/coid_k4KxDU9xH3MtjuxFwTj-W2.articleMode_on.html)

France's bid to reach the EuroBasket via the Additional Qualifying Round received a significant setback on Thursday when Orlando Magic star Mickaël Piétrus was ruled out for the summer with a wrist injury.
Piétrus was sensational for the Magic in the post-season, helping them reach the NBA Finals, but the sharpshooter played with pain in the play-offs and the club doesn't want him to risk aggravating the injury in international competition.

The French Basketball Federation released a statement that said: "Following the various medical examinations in Orlando that have been communicated to the medical staff of Team France, Mickaël Piétrus will not participate in the international campaign of the summer. It is confirmed that his right wrist injury requires a complete shutdown of several weeks and the introduction of a specific rehabilitation."

Patrick Beesley, the director of the France team, said in the statement: "Mickaël, along with the staff of the France team, is obviously very disappointed. We knew for several weeks that these tests could deliver such a verdict.
"The consequences are obvious and do not forget that the wrist injury kept him out of 28 regular-season games and continued to cripple during the play-offs.
"In these circumstances, we understand that the franchise of Orlando wants to devote the time required for Mickaël so he is ready for the resumption of the NBA championship."
Beesley added that he hoped to see Piétrus in a French jersey soon.
National team coach Vincent Collet will name Piétrus' replacement in the squad in the coming days.
France will take on Italy and Finland in Group B of the Additional Qualifying Round.
If they finish top, they will take on the Group A winners (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belgium or Portugal) in a home-and-away tie to determine the last team to play at the EuroBasket in Poland.