PDA

View Full Version : Arenas comments: Could the Washington Wizards be comtemplating tanking???

JordansBulls
11-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Source: Yahoosports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ap9dUI8lOJEmjTMhlEzg6Zu8vLYF?slug=ap-wizards-arenas&prov=ap&type=lgns)

WASHINGTON (AP)—Gilbert Arenas is already thinking about the possibility of a last-place finish for his Washington Wizards—and finding the silver lining.

With Arenas still working his way back from a third knee operation in 1 1/2 years, the Wizards are off to a 1-8 start heading into their game Friday against the Houston Rockets.

“I don’t want to see them struggle,” Arenas said Thursday at Madame Tussauds, where his wax figure was unveiled, “but if this is one of those years where we don’t make the playoffs or we finish in last place … that’s what happened to San Antonio and that’s how they got Tim Duncan and look at them now … and that’s for the better.”

“I definitely want to wait until after New Year’s. … It will give me time to get in shape. Plus I want to learn the new playbook,” he added.

It sure seems like that could be the case with the comments he made. Also the fact that he won't be back until after New Years doesn't help.

MooseWithFleas
11-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Who exactly are they tanking to get? I think they are just bad... real bad...

NYMetros
11-21-2008, 12:13 PM
It's a possibility. Very weird how he brought Tim Duncan into the discussion and how the Spurs got him. It definitely makes me a bit skeptical now.

Dol-Fan
11-21-2008, 12:19 PM
it's one thing when you see this type of thing go under the radar (ala Miami Heat of last year, or Celtics of a few years back), but when players advertently come out and say they don't mind tanking? Come on, Gilbert, you just got signed to an extension worth well over $100 mil. you have to help your team win games and saying that you don't mind tanking is so classless, professional athletes should never have this attitude and this is why the man will never be a winner.

Lakers4ItAll
11-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Not the kinda thing you wanna hear from your star player

MooseWithFleas
11-21-2008, 02:23 PM
it's one thing when you see this type of thing go under the radar (ala Miami Heat of last year, or Celtics of a few years back), but when players advertently come out and say they don't mind tanking? Come on, Gilbert, you just got signed to an extension worth well over $100 mil. you have to help your team win games and saying that you don't mind tanking is so classless, professional athletes should never have this attitude and this is why the man will never be a winner.

That was not under the radar one bit.

Dol-Fan
11-21-2008, 02:36 PM
That was not under the radar one bit.

did you hear Paul Pierce come out and say, "Hey guys, we don't mind tanking this year!" it is completely different and does not dispute the fact that Arenas, or any player for that matter, should not say this no matter what management is thinking.

illiguy85
11-21-2008, 02:59 PM
This is a bad draft year to tank. There is no Rose, Durant, Oden, or Beastley... not even a Mayo.

Blake Griffin looks good though... but that's about it.

Lakers4ItAll
11-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Tanking doesn't even guarentee u the #1 pick so it's a pretty stupid idea

Yogi
11-21-2008, 03:04 PM
I'd be willing to suck this year to see them rock next year.

mrblisterdundee
11-21-2008, 03:05 PM
They don't have to contemplate tanking; they just will.

JordansBulls
11-21-2008, 03:24 PM
They don't have to contemplate tanking; they just will.

:laugh2:

What I don't get is why they are soo bad when they have Butler and Jamison.

Dol-Fan
11-21-2008, 03:26 PM

Haywood- they have no interior presence. He was a big part of that team last year

MooseWithFleas
11-21-2008, 04:01 PM
did you hear Paul Pierce come out and say, "Hey guys, we don't mind tanking this year!" it is completely different and does not dispute the fact that Arenas, or any player for that matter, should not say this no matter what management is thinking.

No but I do remember him sitting out half the season with an "injury" that was said to keep him out 2 weeks...

superkegger
11-21-2008, 04:55 PM

because like so many people won't admit, they miss gilbert like a mother ****er. They're current guards can't shoot and don't penetrate, leaving basically all of the load on Caron (who is playing absolutely ****ing great ball right now) and Jamison.

superkegger
11-21-2008, 04:57 PM
As far as them tanking. I don't think they're going to tank. They just are bad. And as far as when Gil comes back, he shouldn't rush things, because this season is almost lost already this early. And if he's not 100%, he doesn't play. No way. It's not tanking, its just dealing with injury in a strategically smart way. Nothing dirty or cheap or wrong about it.

MooseWithFleas
11-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Oh Gilberg, you are so silly. Your team is destined for failure. I dont see why you resigned after talking so much about leaving...