PDA

View Full Version : So were going the cheap route? (warning LONG)

Crzycjunx76
11-21-2008, 05:36 AM
It seems that management would like to keep our payroll at or near the 100 million mark. There are a couple of rather obvious problems with this situation.

First off we will start with our current tea, even without resigning Brocail and Wolf (who I would rather get draft picks for) simply accounting for arbitration raises and the rising salaries of our long term deals our payroll will come close enough to 100mil (about 98mil) not to allow for the signing of any significant players... if we go into next season with just the players currently on our major and minor league roster I have little doubt that we will finish well outside of playoff contention.

Secondly if we traded our two players most likely due for the largest raises(Valverde and Wiggington) we could free up enough space to sign one more quality starter and one backup or bullpen arm at most. As I have said before this team is much more than one starter away from contention epically without Valverde closing or Wiggington's bat. We would probably end up about the same place we would if we stayed pat... on the outside looking in. Trading Tejada could clear up more space but we are not going to find ourselves a trading partner who is willing to give us much or even accept all of Miguel's salary, besides this would only open up another hole in our team that would need to be filled.

My point is we are highly unlikely to contend for the playoffs next season or the season after that for that matter. Trading off key parts and rebuilding seems to be our only real option (unless payroll increases to 120-140 million).
We have a very flawed team but we have also enjoyed a long stretch of being a quality team.... unless you have an unlimited bankroll all good things must come to an end.

If this franchise chooses to rebuild then we should look to rebuild all the way... trying to trade and retool at this point is a recipe that could land us in quite a bit of long term misery.

The process has to begin this off-season with Valverde, Wiggington, Matsui, and Tejada. There is value in these players but they all have issues that would cause their value to be somewhat diminished... so we cannot expect massive deals for any of them.

We can begin with the least value of the group, Tejada. Tejada did not perform very well offensively or defensively last season and his 13million salary for 09 could prove prohibitive to any attempts to trade him. Trading Tejada as a 2nd or 3rd basemen is probably our best bet and we would probably have to eat around 4 million of his contract to get anyone to take him but a team like the Dodgers or Giants could bite. The Dodgers have young unproven players at shortstop and third base and an outright hole at second base so I would trade Tejada and 4million to the Dodgers in exchange for James Adkins(23) and Pedro Baez(20). Baez is a raw third basemen with tons of talent in A ball and Adkins is a 6-6 left handed starting pitcher, he likely only has 4th or 5th starter potential but he is moving quickly through the minors and he reached double A in his second professional season. (this reduces payroll by 9million)

Matsui would be next in line, he is a quality second basemen with good defense, good on base percentage, and good base running skills. Matsui’s difficulty with injuries causes his value to drop a bit but that can be made up by offering to tack on 1million for the next two seasons to reduce his salary to an amazingly low 4mil per. Matsui could have value for a team like the Dodgers, Diamond Backs, or Mets. I would personally choose the Mets and look for starting pitcher Robert Parnell(24) in return. Parnell a right handed pitcher who saw time in double A, triple A, and the majors last season. Parnell could probably use some more time in triple A to work on his walk ratio but could contend for a spot in the rotation during the season. In addition to Parnell the Astros could probably acquire Ezequiel Carrera(21) an outfielder who played in high A ball last season and put up good numbers. Carrera is a speedy centerfielder who hits left handed with solid contact and good control of the strike zone.
(this deal saves 4million)

Next up Wiggington. Wiggington put up one of the best offensive performances in the majors last season and was in the top 5 of all third basemen offensively. Wiggington could have value as a LF, 1B, 3B, or DH… TB, SF, LAD, NYM, ect could all use Wiggington. The trouble is he is only under control for one more season and has only completed on full season playing at a high level. I would like to get LHP Jonathan Sanchez(26) and second basemen Charlie Culberson(19) in exchange for Wiggington but we may wind up having to include a minor leaguer of our own just to get Sanchez. Sanchez has great stuff but has failed to lower his walk rate enough to take full advantage of his ability… still his fielding independent ERA last season was a 3.98 and he is under control for a few more seasons. Culberson if we could net him is a second basemen with the athleticism and the tools to be a good hitter and defender, he is very raw but is still a good piece to rebuild the minors.
(this deal would save approximately 8million)

Finally Valverde. Valverde has performed exceptionally well as a closer for the past two seasons but his trade value is damaged due to the fact that he is in the last year of team control. Another difficulty with trading Jose at this time is the amount of quality free agent closers available.. it may be better to trade him during the season but some teams may be willing to give something up for him because he is cheaper and won’t cost a draft pick. I would like to see a package like SS Josh Rodriguez(24), 1B Jordan Brown(25), and RP Jensen Lewis(24). Rodriguez made it to double A last season and will probably wind up a 3b or 2b in the majors but he shows himself to be a 6 skill player … he has strike zone judgment, plate discipline, great power for a middle infielder. Jordan Brown is a solid first basemen who is blocked from moving up in Triple A. Brown has below average power and above average contact numbers for a first basemen. Jensen is a quality relief arm who has already put in 95 major league innings over the last two seasons… he saved 13 games in 14 attempts last year and has the stuff to be even better in years to come, the clincher is he is under team control for about 4 more seasons.
(this deal would save about 9million)

(total 30 million cut or about a 68 million dollar payroll)
So that’s the trades but now we have to fill out a roster that has been depleted at 2nd,3rd, and short… as well as closer and catcher so we can at least field a respectable squad. I would look to pickup David Eckstein as our second basemen, he still plays well defensively as 2nd and he posted a .343 OBP last season. Eckstein could likely be had for a 1 year deal at 4.5 million. At short I am still very high on Cesar Izturis who is a better bat and defender than Everett was two years ago a two year deal paying about 4mil per season with possibly a mutual third season option should do the trick. At third Nick Punto could hold down the fort for a season and hopefully be replaced by Chris Johnson in 2010 but a 2year deal worth about 4 per should be enough to draw him in if Joe Crede would be willing to sign for near that cost due to an injury discount I would go with him or even Corey Koskie if he would give us an old man discount. This would leave us with an infield that got on base and possesses good speed and excellent defense but not much pop. Greg Zaun would be my option to split time with either Towles or Quintero, Zaun would probably need a 1 year deal for 4 million but at least we would know one of our catchers would be able to hit a little (we could always count on Towles and save the cash though). I would also like to add Gabe Kapler as a reserve centerfielder for about 1.5 million for one season just incase we have to rotate he and Erstad in place of Bourn. For a closer we could try Lyon at about 4.5 million or hope to coax Cordero to Houston for a injury discount.

Counting Zaun and Lyon building this roster would add about 22.5 million. There would be about 10 million to spend before the 100 million payroll mark would be met so we could get another position player or starting pitcher… it is unlikely that this roster would truly be competitive though and it would probably be a better idea to save the money and even consider trading Berkman, Oswalt, and/or Lee in season to continue the rebuilding process if they decide to waive their no trade clauses and the proper offer is given. If it is done right the top prospects we acquire will create a core lineup and in two seasons or so… by then our recent drafts will have added depth to our minors.. that depth could fill holes in our lineup or provide trade pieces to improve our team… and the reduced payroll will allow us more off season flexibility.

I would actually like to find a way to remove Blum from the roster and replace him with Saccomano and Manzilla… Manzilla to be a defensive utility player and Saccomano to be a backup first basemen and bat off the bench. Honestly this team does not look noticeably worse than the one we started last season with.

1. 2b David Eckstien
2. 3b Nick Punto
3. 1b Lance Berkman
4. Lf Carlos Lee
5. Rf Hunter Pence
6. Ss Cesar Izturis
7. C Greg Zaun
8. Cf M. Bourn
9. Pitcher

Bench
Darin Erstad OF
Gabe Kapler OF
Mark Saccomano 1B/3B
Tommy Manzella Util
Humberto Quintero C

Starting Rotation
1 Roy Oswalt
2 Wandy Rodriguez
3 Brian Moehler
4 Jonathan Sanchez
5 (Competition)Robert Parnell, Pedro Martinez (minor league deal), Alberto Arias, Mike Hampton(minor league)

Bullpen
CL: Brandon Lyon
SU: LaTroy Hawkins
SU: Jensen Lewis
MR: Wesley Wright
MR: Geoff Geary
MR: Tim Byrdak or Fernando Nieve
LR: Chris Sampson

Crzycjunx76
11-21-2008, 06:02 AM
Of course I would rather hold on to Valverde to trade in season when his value should be higher, not sign Lyon, keep both Byrdak and Nieve in the pen, and see if Palino has what it takes to be a closer by getting him started in Triple A.

Best case has us
Eckstien
Pence(hopefully his OBP hits around .333)
Berkman
Lee
Crede
Zaun
Izturis
Bourn
pitcher

with a younger rotation, a strong pen... and some extra parts in the minors.

Jermster
11-21-2008, 12:38 PM
It seems that management would like to keep our payroll at or near the 100 million mark. There are a couple of rather obvious problems with this situation.

First off we will start with our current tea, even without resigning Brocail and Wolf (who I would rather get draft picks for) simply accounting for arbitration raises and the rising salaries of our long term deals our payroll will come close enough to 100mil (about 98mil) not to allow for the signing of any significant players... if we go into next season with just the players currently on our major and minor league roster I have little doubt that we will finish well outside of playoff contention.

Secondly if we traded our two players most likely due for the largest raises(Valverde and Wiggington) we could free up enough space to sign one more quality starter and one backup or bullpen arm at most. As I have said before this team is much more than one starter away from contention epically without Valverde closing or Wiggington's bat. We would probably end up about the same place we would if we stayed pat... on the outside looking in. Trading Tejada could clear up more space but we are not going to find ourselves a trading partner who is willing to give us much or even accept all of Miguel's salary, besides this would only open up another hole in our team that would need to be filled.

My point is we are highly unlikely to contend for the playoffs next season or the season after that for that matter. Trading off key parts and rebuilding seems to be our only real option (unless payroll increases to 120-140 million).
We have a very flawed team but we have also enjoyed a long stretch of being a quality team.... unless you have an unlimited bankroll all good things must come to an end.

If this franchise chooses to rebuild then we should look to rebuild all the way... trying to trade and retool at this point is a recipe that could land us in quite a bit of long term misery.

The process has to begin this off-season with Valverde, Wiggington, Matsui, and Tejada. There is value in these players but they all have issues that would cause their value to be somewhat diminished... so we cannot expect massive deals for any of them.

We can begin with the least value of the group, Tejada. Tejada did not perform very well offensively or defensively last season and his 13million salary for 09 could prove prohibitive to any attempts to trade him. Trading Tejada as a 2nd or 3rd basemen is probably our best bet and we would probably have to eat around 4 million of his contract to get anyone to take him but a team like the Dodgers or Giants could bite. The Dodgers have young unproven players at shortstop and third base and an outright hole at second base so I would trade Tejada and 4million to the Dodgers in exchange for James Adkins(23) and Pedro Baez(20). Baez is a raw third basemen with tons of talent in A ball and Adkins is a 6-6 left handed starting pitcher, he likely only has 4th or 5th starter potential but he is moving quickly through the minors and he reached double A in his second professional season. (this reduces payroll by 9million)

Matsui would be next in line, he is a quality second basemen with good defense, good on base percentage, and good base running skills. Matsui’s difficulty with injuries causes his value to drop a bit but that can be made up by offering to tack on 1million for the next two seasons to reduce his salary to an amazingly low 4mil per. Matsui could have value for a team like the Dodgers, Diamond Backs, or Mets. I would personally choose the Mets and look for starting pitcher Robert Parnell(24) in return. Parnell a right handed pitcher who saw time in double A, triple A, and the majors last season. Parnell could probably use some more time in triple A to work on his walk ratio but could contend for a spot in the rotation during the season. In addition to Parnell the Astros could probably acquire Ezequiel Carrera(21) an outfielder who played in high A ball last season and put up good numbers. Carrera is a speedy centerfielder who hits left handed with solid contact and good control of the strike zone.
(this deal saves 4million)

Next up Wiggington. Wiggington put up one of the best offensive performances in the majors last season and was in the top 5 of all third basemen offensively. Wiggington could have value as a LF, 1B, 3B, or DH… TB, SF, LAD, NYM, ect could all use Wiggington. The trouble is he is only under control for one more season and has only completed on full season playing at a high level. I would like to get LHP Jonathan Sanchez(26) and second basemen Charlie Culberson(19) in exchange for Wiggington but we may wind up having to include a minor leaguer of our own just to get Sanchez. Sanchez has great stuff but has failed to lower his walk rate enough to take full advantage of his ability… still his fielding independent ERA last season was a 3.98 and he is under control for a few more seasons. Culberson if we could net him is a second basemen with the athleticism and the tools to be a good hitter and defender, he is very raw but is still a good piece to rebuild the minors.
(this deal would save approximately 8million)

Finally Valverde. Valverde has performed exceptionally well as a closer for the past two seasons but his trade value is damaged due to the fact that he is in the last year of team control. Another difficulty with trading Jose at this time is the amount of quality free agent closers available.. it may be better to trade him during the season but some teams may be willing to give something up for him because he is cheaper and won’t cost a draft pick. I would like to see a package like SS Josh Rodriguez(24), 1B Jordan Brown(25), and RP Jensen Lewis(24). Rodriguez made it to double A last season and will probably wind up a 3b or 2b in the majors but he shows himself to be a 6 skill player … he has strike zone judgment, plate discipline, great power for a middle infielder. Jordan Brown is a solid first basemen who is blocked from moving up in Triple A. Brown has below average power and above average contact numbers for a first basemen. Jensen is a quality relief arm who has already put in 95 major league innings over the last two seasons… he saved 13 games in 14 attempts last year and has the stuff to be even better in years to come, the clincher is he is under team control for about 4 more seasons.
(this deal would save about 9million)

(total 30 million cut or about a 68 million dollar payroll)
So that’s the trades but now we have to fill out a roster that has been depleted at 2nd,3rd, and short… as well as closer and catcher so we can at least field a respectable squad. I would look to pickup David Eckstein as our second basemen, he still plays well defensively as 2nd and he posted a .343 OBP last season. Eckstein could likely be had for a 1 year deal at 4.5 million. At short I am still very high on Cesar Izturis who is a better bat and defender than Everett was two years ago a two year deal paying about 4mil per season with possibly a mutual third season option should do the trick. At third Nick Punto could hold down the fort for a season and hopefully be replaced by Chris Johnson in 2010 but a 2year deal worth about 4 per should be enough to draw him in if Joe Crede would be willing to sign for near that cost due to an injury discount I would go with him or even Corey Koskie if he would give us an old man discount. This would leave us with an infield that got on base and possesses good speed and excellent defense but not much pop. Greg Zaun would be my option to split time with either Towles or Quintero, Zaun would probably need a 1 year deal for 4 million but at least we would know one of our catchers would be able to hit a little (we could always count on Towles and save the cash though). I would also like to add Gabe Kapler as a reserve centerfielder for about 1.5 million for one season just incase we have to rotate he and Erstad in place of Bourn. For a closer we could try Lyon at about 4.5 million or hope to coax Cordero to Houston for a injury discount.

Counting Zaun and Lyon building this roster would add about 22.5 million. There would be about 10 million to spend before the 100 million payroll mark would be met so we could get another position player or starting pitcher… it is unlikely that this roster would truly be competitive though and it would probably be a better idea to save the money and even consider trading Berkman, Oswalt, and/or Lee in season to continue the rebuilding process if they decide to waive their no trade clauses and the proper offer is given. If it is done right the top prospects we acquire will create a core lineup and in two seasons or so… by then our recent drafts will have added depth to our minors.. that depth could fill holes in our lineup or provide trade pieces to improve our team… and the reduced payroll will allow us more off season flexibility.

I would actually like to find a way to remove Blum from the roster and replace him with Saccomano and Manzilla… Manzilla to be a defensive utility player and Saccomano to be a backup first basemen and bat off the bench. Honestly this team does not look noticeably worse than the one we started last season with.

1. 2b David Eckstien
2. 3b Nick Punto
3. 1b Lance Berkman
4. Lf Carlos Lee
5. Rf Hunter Pence
6. Ss Cesar Izturis
7. C Greg Zaun
8. Cf M. Bourn
9. Pitcher

Bench
Darin Erstad OF
Gabe Kapler OF
Mark Saccomano 1B/3B
Tommy Manzella Util
Humberto Quintero C

Starting Rotation
1 Roy Oswalt
2 Wandy Rodriguez
3 Brian Moehler
4 Jonathan Sanchez
5 (Competition)Robert Parnell, Pedro Martinez (minor league deal), Alberto Arias, Mike Hampton(minor league)

Bullpen
CL: Brandon Lyon
SU: LaTroy Hawkins
SU: Jensen Lewis
MR: Wesley Wright
MR: Geoff Geary
MR: Tim Byrdak or Fernando Nieve
LR: Chris Sampson

Why not bring Morgan Ensberg back to play 3rd and Adam Everett to play SS.

laxtonto
11-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Because neither are even close to league average offensively...

Ensberg is done for his career it seems and as much as I like Everett, Cesar is slightly worse glove but a dramatically better bat. The difference is about .050 points of OBP.

Jermster
11-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Because neither are even close to league average offensively...

Ensberg is done for his career it seems and as much as I like Everett, Cesar is slightly worse glove but a dramatically better bat. The difference is about .050 points of OBP.

Morgan Ensberg and Adam Everett would be good additions at possibly backup roles because they would cost Ed Wade very little compared to other players who would cost a lot.

Mark Saccomano would be the best fit for 3rd because he has hit 20+ home runs for the past 3 seasons in the minors and he deserves to be able to start for his hometown team. Manzella might be good because he has good defense like Adam Everett.

The only way you could be able to trade Miguel Tejada would be if he had good numbers this season and he might do that so that way he can get a lot of money in the free agent market next year.

Crzycjunx76
11-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Morgan Ensberg and Adam Everett would be good additions at possibly backup roles because they would cost Ed Wade very little compared to other players who would cost a lot.

Mark Saccomano would be the best fit for 3rd because he has hit 20+ home runs for the past 3 seasons in the minors and he deserves to be able to start for his hometown team. Manzella might be good because he has good defense like Adam Everett.

The only way you could be able to trade Miguel Tejada would be if he had good numbers this season and he might do that so that way he can get a lot of money in the free agent market next year.

Sacomano is a good option for reserve corner infielder because he is extremley cheap and should have a decent bat off the bench .... I doubt he will ever be a servicable everyday starter but bench bat is not a bad gig. As for Manzilla, he is pretty much Everett or Bruntlett in my opinion, I have no problem taking him straight from double A to be a utility infielder because his defense is already exceptional and I dont think he will ever really hit so its not like his development is being harmed. Both of these guys will be far cheaper than Ensberg and Everett simply because they are rookies controlled by the team... filling backup and bullpen roles with minorleaguers who havent quite lived up to their potential is an excellent way of keeping payroll down.

Im about to project the estimated offensive numbers for one of the possible lineups.. im going to have to get creative with Saccomano and Manzilla's numbers because they have not had any meaningful majorleague atbats so their numbers will undoubtedly be less impressive than their minor league stats.

Crzycjunx76
11-21-2008, 06:42 PM
All of this is based upon using Crede as the third basemen and trading Matsui, Tejada, and Wiggington ... but not Valverde

After looking at all of the players on the roster and estimating at bats as well as estimating performance at the plate based upon their historical numbers I came up with a team OPS of .740 which is .002 better than last season... slugging dropped .005 points and OBP went up .007. The team is cheaper in total and has dramatically better infield defense. In addition to the improved defense two near major league pitchers were acquired as well as several minor league prospects.

Perhaps the greatest improvement is the lack of a true black hole in the lineup... I had Bourn, Erstad, and Kapler splitting center field fairly evenly and Zaun getting the majority of the time at catcher (could be much better if Towles hits next year and Zaun was his backup or vice versa). The improved infield defense should help our pitchers a great deal since keeping the ball on the ground is very important in the close confines of our home park.

The end result is a team no worse than last years with the opportunity to be much better if young pitchers or injury signings pan out. Even with a respectable first half the Astros might want to consider trading some of the veterans on the backside of their prime as well as the players who hit the FA market after the 09 season for the right price to continue the rebuilding process.

Crzycjunx76
11-21-2008, 07:41 PM
I know im posting on my own thread a lot but I wanted to point out a very important statistic from last season that I believe this lineup would correct. The Houston Astros ranked 29th out of 30 teams in at bats last season... there are many reasons for this including our missing a game but the main one is the black holes in our lineup being nearly automatic outs. Our total plate appearances was dead last in the majors at 6051 even adding another 38 plate appearances (our average per game) we do not pass the 29th team on the list.

laxtonto
11-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Well the big difference between between last and first in plate apperances is 2.5 plate apperances a game. Or more approriately when the lineups role over on average last year for the Astros Bourn and Matusi where getting an extra AB a game...

In the top offense ,Texas, Hamilton, Bradley, and whoever is batting 6th at the time got an extra AB. On the Astros that would have been Berkman and Lee....

OBP is very important just becasue it keeps innings alive. One or 2 major holes makes your entire offense dependent on the long ball for a big inning instead of being to string base runners along. Not to say that the Astros need to totally revert to small ball, but instead get enough OBP at each position to consistently have runners on when the power bats are at the plate.

In Barry Bond's crazy HR years, why did he walk so much? There was very rarely somebody on base when he came up.

astros1981
11-23-2008, 01:11 AM
We have 2 infielders who can end up on our active roster by the All-Star break . 2B Drew Sutton who has been playing great this last season. 3B Chris Johnson, who has shown alot of potential in becoming our everyday 3rd baseman. I would like to package Tejada, Ty to anyone who can give us help with pitching. I wanted Eckstein last season but he ended up playing in Toronto instead. There is no doubt this team does need some help. We did have a good draft and if we do follow that with another strong one, we can be in good shape in the future.

laxtonto
11-23-2008, 01:58 AM
We have 2 infielders who can end up on our active roster by the All-Star break . 2B Drew Sutton who has been playing great this last season. 3B Chris Johnson, who has shown alot of potential in becoming our everyday 3rd baseman. I would like to package Tejada, Ty to anyone who can give us help with pitching. I wanted Eckstein last season but he ended up playing in Toronto instead. There is no doubt this team does need some help. We did have a good draft and if we do follow that with another strong one, we can be in good shape in the future.

Sutton is an extreme defensive liabilty... I mean don't throw it to stone hands bad defensively. At one point he was leading the AFL in errors. The question has never been his bat, its the fact that he has no normal everyday defensive position.

C. Johnson might someday be a MLB 3B, but he still needs some pretty extensive time in AAA.

Trade the guys you can, but it will be very bad to see Sutton playing everyday in the MINF.

Crzycjunx76
11-23-2008, 04:39 AM
Sutton is an extreme defensive liabilty... I mean don't throw it to stone hands bad defensively. At one point he was leading the AFL in errors. The question has never been his bat, its the fact that he has no normal everyday defensive position.

C. Johnson might someday be a MLB 3B, but he still needs some pretty extensive time in AAA.

Trade the guys you can, but it will be very bad to see Sutton playing everyday in the MINF.

I agree that C. Johnson needs atleast a full season in AAA if not a half season more before he is major league ready ... and untill last season most scouts had him projected as a backup at best... some still feel that way.

As for Sutton, the Astros didnt make him repeat AA for his bat... he is solid at the plate. The problem as you say is his glove, and he has not improved in that respect at all. I would like to see Sutton start the season in AAA as a right fielder. I belive he would have the range to cover the field and my hope is that he will not suffer from the glove work issues when he has time to react to the ball. If that works, even if Pence fixes his somewhat major issues with plate dicipline leaving Sutton's path to the majors blocked, his bat without the defensive liability gives him trade value in the minors that we sorely need.

Crzycjunx76
11-23-2008, 05:12 PM
There is another thread on trading Carlos Lee to LAA... it has a nearly finished trade package at the end. If you go with Napoli instead of signing Zaun at Catcher that would save about 4mil, use Wood at third or short instead of signing a player there and that is another 4mil, and the trade has us saving about 10 mil on Carlos Lee this upcoming season. Both the new bats would add power at their positions but we would need to find a left fielder. We could very easily go with Wigginton in left but we could always still trade him to the Giants for Sanchez... or we could trade him head up for Randy Winn and a prospect... the problem with this is we would be giving up still more power in our lineup and leaving Berkman as the only true proven power bat. The benifits would be that we would wind up with one of the best defensive outfields in baseball and a leadoff man with speed in Winn. Or if you really want to get adventerous you can trade Wigginton for Sanchez and sign a risky player (who does not cost a pick) like Milton Bradley(fingers crossed)... he is asking for a 3yr 10 million dollar contract but I think he could be had for a deal at about 8 mil with a two year mutual option with a team buy out. Bradley could play good defense in left but could he survive the season out there... hopefully with good backups Erstad and Kapler(or another quality backup) you would be able to give him adequite rest.

Also this would leave around 21 mil to spend on freeagents before the 100 mil limit

The lineup would look something like

1- 2b David Eckstien
2- 3b Nick Punto
3- RF Hunter Pence
4- 1B Lance Berkman
5- LF Milton Bradley
6- C Mike Napoli
7- SS Brandon Wood
8- CF Gary Matthews Jr.
9- Pitcher

Rotation
1- Roy Oswalt
2- Ben Sheets (sigh there goes the 1st rounder) 3yr 40 mil with player option
3- Randy Johnson 1yr 10(ish) mil
4- Wandy Rodriguez
5- (Competition) Brian Moehler, Johnothan Sanchez, Robert Parnell, Alberto Arias.

the johnson signing might push us over the limit depending on how backloaded the Sheets deal is but you would be able to keep whatever youngster lost out on the starting gig in the minors and if Moehler looses out he could strengthen the pen..

BaseballFan
11-26-2008, 12:21 AM
Astro fans...

1. Just how much could Drayton spend if he really wanted to?

2. Would spending more money solve a lot of problems or is this an issue of the farm system or both?

Crzycjunx76
11-26-2008, 02:47 AM
I would get used to it... there have been some experts who think that most teams that are not named the Yankees the Red Sox and the Dodgers may put a hold on payrolls or atleast slow the rate at which they have been expanding them. The good part is ticket prices should also stay fairly static... the bad news is we have a couple mammoth contracts that tie up a great deal of our payroll and we dont have an avalable pipeline of cheap young talent that measures up to the rest of the league. I love the Astros but our farm system is easily 30th and it will take atleast two to three years before we can expect to see sinifigant results from our drafts...

Jermster
11-26-2008, 10:56 AM
I would get used to it... there have been some experts who think that most teams that are not named the Yankees the Red Sox and the Dodgers may put a hold on payrolls or atleast slow the rate at which they have been expanding them. The good part is ticket prices should also stay fairly static... the bad news is we have a couple mammoth contracts that tie up a great deal of our payroll and we dont have an avalable pipeline of cheap young talent that measures up to the rest of the league. I love the Astros but our farm system is easily 30th and it will take atleast two to three years before we can expect to see sinifigant results from our drafts...

Sportswriters say 4 to 5 years before the farm system is effective again.

Crzycjunx76
11-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Sportswriters say 4 to 5 years before the farm system is effective again.

Hey I was trying to be optimistic! I know is should take that long before our system is up to par with most of the league but we should start seeing some results before that.