PDA

View Full Version : NBA Mock Offseason Playoffs: Boston Celtics vs Miami Heat - VOTE!

BlondeBomber41
11-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Boston Celtics have homecourt advantage

Boston Celtics Lineup:

PG: Stephon Marbury | Steve Blake | Sam Cassell
SG: Ray Allen | Eddie House | Steve Francis
SF: Lebron James | Bobby Simmons | Awvee Storey
PF: Kevin Garnett | Alexander Johnson | Marcin Gortat
C: Pavel Podkolzin | Erick Dampier | Alonzo Mourning

Miami Heat Lineup:

PG: Mo Williams l Earl Watson l Chris Quinn
SG: Michael Redd l Carlos Delfino l Brent Barry
SF: Tracy McGrady l Jarvis Hayes l Eric Piatkowski
PF: Dirk Nowitzki l Robert Horry l Joel Anthony
C: Yao Ming l Scott Pollard l Stephane Lasme

Boston Celtics Lineup:

Who is Pavel?? Read to find out!

Before anything, I would like to say: PAVEL PODKOLZIN IS 7'5'', THE SAME HEIGHT AS YAO.

Normally, Erick Dampier is our starting C, but we know Yao is much taller than him. My question is how can such an injury prone player (Yao) play against SOMEBODY HIS OWN SIZE?? Of course, Yao has the advantage due to experience, but we know know Yao dominates simply because of his height. Yao does nothing impressive, he just has height, and we have Pavel Podkolzin to match his height. Yao's points WILL decrease and so will his rebounds. Pavel has only played a few NBA games, and he never really got the chance in Dallas, but he got 3 points and 7 rebounds in his first real NBA game. In simple words, THIS GUY HAS THE SAME STUFF YAO HAS, which is HEIGHT. Yao and Pavel are pretty even if you ask me, and the fact that Yao doesn't do anything special proves it, it's real easy to score when you are 7 inches taller than your defender and you are right next to the hoop. Right??????

Anyways, I wanted to focus on that matchup the most because I'm sure many think Pavel is just a 6'10'' guy, no, he's 7'6''.

ALSO REMEMBER THE CELTICS HAVE HOME COURT ADVANTAGE.

Mo Williams vs Stephon Marbury
Like I said last series, Marbury does not suck. I repeat, he does not suck, again, MARBURY DOES NOT SUCK. Being a headcase and sucking are two different things. Marbury will not be a headcase with other stars such as Allen, Lebron, and KG on the team, he will be humbled, just ask KG. Marbury had his best days with KG, and now they're going to use that chemistry to win with Lebron and Allen. Marbury and Williams are equal IMO. Getting Marbury back to playing for real makes him equal to Mo Williams. Not a star, but a great scorer. You cannot leave Marbury open at all, but wait, Mo plays no defense.

Michael Redd vs Ray Allen
Shooter vs Shooter. No experience vs experience. Fraud vs championship winner. You can say all that you want about Allen being old, point is he's going to drain 3's ALL DAY with Redd defending him. Ray Allen is a clutch player, he's awesome. Redd is a merciless shooter. I definitely rather Ray Allen over Michael Redd. I can't think of one advantage Redd has over Allen. Players in my team will be double-teamed, and we don't need to double-team the Heat, so Redd won't get any open shots. Redd hasn't been any type of success while Allen is a winner who can eventually slash as well.

Tracy McGrady vs Lebron James
Lebron James, a top 2 player in this league, vs T-Mac. The Celtics clearly have the advantage in this one. T-Mac isn't strong enough to guard Lebron, Lebron is too strong. But wait, if you double-team Lebron, Allen might be open, or Marbury, or KG! Or wait, the 7'5'' Pavel Podkolzin too, he just needs to put the ball in the hoop. The Heat are in big trouble. It's no argument Lebron takes this matchup. Lebron brought a soggy team to the finals, can you imagine him with KG, Marbury, Allen, and a 7'5'' player? This is a dream come true.

Dirk vs KG
KG is the better player. Dirk is a shooter but KG can defend that, KG is much more athletice than Dirk. For crying out loud KG is a lock down defender. It doesn't matter where Dirk thrives, KG can stop everything, and that's why he won the finals and Dirk didn't in a zillion tries. On the other end, Dirk plays no defense. It'll be a scoring spree for KG, Dirk can't stop KG from scoring.

Yao vs Pavel
I already explained in the first paragraphs, Pavel is as big as Yao.

Overall, it's going to be a great series with two 7'5'' players on the floor, but when one of them has KG, they have to have the advantage. T-Mac won't be able to drive the ball in, nobody in the Heat will. Meanwhile Dirk is a weak defender so the Celtics can find a way to score down low, especially with such a talented player like Lebron. The Heat have to double team Lebron, but then they would leave Marbury, Allen, KG, or te 7'5'' player open down low, you don't want that. The Heat are screwed either way.

Remember, Pavel is 7'5'', and we've always seen Yao pick on guys smaller than him!!!

Miami Heat Writeup:

PG: Williams vs Marbury: Williams is the better passer and scorer in this matchup. He brings the intangibles to the game that is needed for a title contender. Marbury would just be a distraction. He will get into foul trouble and will be sitting on the bench most of the game. Williams is also the better three point shooter making Marbury play defense which he is bad at.

SG: Redd vs Allen: This is the 2nd series that both SG's do one thing right: SCORE. Both Allen and Redd can shoot the three with Allen having a slight advantage. But Redd also has the slashing attack along with the outside game making him tough to guard. Redd will be running around screens all day making Allen tired out. Age also becomes a factor since Allen is older and won't be able to stay with Redd all game.

SF: McGrady vs James: James is the better player by a little but T-Mac does the same things but differently. McGrady can drive, dunk and shoot the outside just like James. I believe T-Mac has a more polished outside game than LeBron. Also, T-Mac wouldn't be needed to carry the team since we have 3 other all stars. LeBron has the pressure on him to carry this team with KG. But overall, James wins this matchup by a hair length.

PF: Nowitzki vs Garnett: This is by far the best matchup in this series. Both are all stars, former MVP award winners, and two of the best players we have in the game today. Both players have the inside game and mid-range game with KG having the advantage down low. But the advantage for Dirk is that he possesses the three point shot in his arsenal as well which is rare for a big man. This will cause KG to step outside and defend Dirk leaving Yao alone inside with their poor centers. Yao will take advantage and score on them. KG might be the more well-known player with more experience, but Dirk has the X factor of the three point range making this matchup very intriguing.

C: Yao vs Podkolzin: Yao destroys the Celtics in this matchup. I have no idea who their Center even is making Yao's job even simpler. Yao has the post game as well as the mid-range game. He also has the height advantage over every Center in the league making this matchup a no brainer. Yao also shoots free throws well so fouling him won't help. All in all, this is a matchup that the Heat kill the Celtics at.

Bench: Heat's backup PG is Earl Watson while they have Steve Blake. Both are decent guys that do similar things. Blake is a better scorer though and Watson's a better passer. Backup SG's are Delfino and House. Delfino is bigger and can drive better while House only has the outside shot. SF's are Hayes and Simmons. Hayes is better now since Simmons is injury prone. PF's are Big Shot Robert Horry and Alexander Johnson. Horry has the advantage with multiple rings and experience under his belt. Finally, backup C's are Pollard and Dampier. Dampier is better and experienced.

Final Result: This is a really close matchup between two well constructed teams. Both have stars and experienced veterans. But I think our four stars, Redd, T-Mac, Dirk and Yao, will be too much for the Celtics to handle. Heat win in 6 hardly fought games and move onto the NBA Finals.

Catfish1314
11-20-2008, 11:18 PM
These are two very, very, very good teams. And it comes down to one thing in my opinion: LeBron James.

He CARRIED a team with below average role players, some solid defenders and rebounders, and one good shooter to the NBA Finals over a very good Pistons team. You give him Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen? Forget it.

The Heat's defense is suspect but it hasn't hurt them at all so far because their offensive potency has just been too much for every team they've faced. But I don't think that would be the case here. Pavel's big and with Dampier off the bench, Yao wouldn't just have his merry old way in this series. Ray can play some damn good D when he puts his mind to it and LeBron plays defense when he cares to. In the Conference Finals, I'd imagine he would care to.

Celtics have homecourt and far more experience than the Heat. For those reasons and for LeBron James, Boston Celtics win in 7.

b_rad23
11-20-2008, 11:36 PM
Yao vs. Pavel is far too much.

kswissdaf
11-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Heat- cause there my team

Dynasty
11-20-2008, 11:56 PM
:down: that's really low

Westbrook36
11-20-2008, 11:58 PM
This is really tough. Man

Lebron vs T-Mac is a Battle - Lebron
MO vs Starburry = Mo
KG vs Dirk - Battle Downlow, I take KG
Yao vs Pavoalsgh - Yao by MILES
Allen vs Redd - =

Dynasty
11-20-2008, 11:59 PM
Yao vs. Pavel is far too much.

what do you mean too much? they are both the same height, we've never seen Yao pick on somebody his own size

it's real easy to score when you're 7 inches taller than your defender

hotpotato1092
11-21-2008, 12:16 AM
I'm really questioning the decision to sit dampier for the euro guy.

Dynasty
11-21-2008, 12:23 AM
Dampier doesn't "sit", he backups

It is clear that Yao has no post moves. Yao has been successful because of his height advantage. Yao does nothing special, he just uses his height.

Pavel is the same height as Yao. Yao will get a few points but not more than 10 IMO. Yao is not a good player, he's not really talented. His height is what blinds everyone. Yao is only a threat because of his height. Again, Yao is not talented, he's just tall. Pavel is as tall as him.

phlp_bj
11-21-2008, 12:24 AM
These are two very, very, very good teams. And it comes down to one thing in my opinion: LeBron James.

He CARRIED a team with below average role players, some solid defenders and rebounders, and one good shooter to the NBA Finals over a very good Pistons team. You give him Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen? Forget it.

The Heat's defense is suspect but it hasn't hurt them at all so far because their offensive potency has just been too much for every team they've faced. But I don't think that would be the case here. Pavel's big and with Dampier off the bench, Yao wouldn't just have his merry old way in this series. Ray can play some damn good D when he puts his mind to it and LeBron plays defense when he cares to. In the Conference Finals, I'd imagine he would care to.

Celtics have homecourt and far more experience than the Heat. For those reasons and for LeBron James, Boston Celtics win in 7.

mcgrady can handle james. he wont get his usual numbers. also we have experience with guys like redd,mcgrady,dirk and yao. thats a lot of valuable experience compared to euro guy, marbury and their bench.

phlp_bj
11-21-2008, 12:26 AM
Dampier doesn't "sit", he backups

It is clear that Yao has no post moves. Yao has been successful because of his height advantage. Yao does nothing special, he just uses his height.

Pavel is the same height as Yao. Yao will get a few points but not more than 10 IMO. Yao is not a good player, he's not really talented. His height is what blinds everyone. Yao is only a threat because of his height. Again, Yao is not talented, he's just tall. Pavel is as tall as him.

height means nothing when the player isn't experienced. he has no nba experience, not that i know of. yao has enough post moves to kill him down low and he also has the mid range shot

Dynasty
11-21-2008, 12:36 AM
height means nothing when the player isn't experienced. he has no nba experience, not that i know of. yao has enough post moves to kill him down low and he also has the mid range shot

what post moves? Yao doesn't have any post moves!

want to know what guys have post moves? Guys like KG and Amare, that always do those moves vs guys their same size, but Yao has nothing but height, and that's why he's been successful. Yao posts up, but he doesn't have post moves, he just needs to shoot over his defender, and he doesn't even need to jump! If you and I were that tall we could do the same thing. Pavel is as tall as Yao though, and it doesn't matter how many nba games Pavel has played, Pavel just needs to put a hand in his face

and Yao will have to jump to shoot over him on a post shot...but wait, Yao is too tall! You know what that means, AIR BALL.

phlp_bj
11-21-2008, 12:38 AM

want to know what guys have post moves? Guys like KG and Amare, that always do those moves vs guys their same size, but Yao has nothing but height, and that's why he's been successful. Yao posts up, but he doesn't have post moves, he just needs to shoot over his defender, and he doesn't even need to jump! If you and I were that tall we could do the same thing. Pavel is as tall as Yao though, and it doesn't matter how many nba games Pavel has played, Pavel just needs to put a hand in his face

and Yao will have to jump to shoot over him on a post shot...but wait, Yao is too tall! You know what that means, AIR BALL.

yao has enough like the turnaround jumper. he will easily beat the unproven euro guy. yao has all star experience and playoff experience. the euro guy hasnt even played a single game let alone the playoffs.

PhillyLuver
11-21-2008, 12:45 AM
I have to take the heat, they just have fewer holes to be exploited, even though lebron almost carries them

Dynasty
11-21-2008, 12:54 AM
yao has enough like the turnaround jumper. he will easily beat the unproven euro guy. yao has all star experience and playoff experience. the euro guy hasnt even played a single game let alone the playoffs.

Again, Yao dominates his turnaround jumper vs guys 7 inches shorter than him, but when he turns around to shoot and sees this guy his same size on him, Yao will not have his height luxury at all

by the way, did you know Yao is a career 52% shooter? this is horrible for a C, especially a 7'6'' one! He's taller than everyone he faces and he does not dominate..can you imagine faving someone his same height get outta here...

also, Yao has been injured his last 4 years

also, Yao's playoff experience can't get him past the first round, and he's never had to face a guy his same height in the playoffs

I'm telling you, Yao is nothing but height, Pavel has his same height, he will give Yao a hard time

avsman05
11-21-2008, 12:57 AM
This is a toughie but i went with boston kg and bron wow.

BlondeBomber41
11-21-2008, 01:13 AM
Dynasty, you really underestimate how bad Pavel Podkolzin is. I saw him for two years in Dallas and everytime he came in the game he did nothing but look clumsy and awkward and turn the ball over everytime he touched it.

Dampier is so much stronger than Pavel and I guarantee you that he would do a better job than that scrub Pavel Podkolzin would.

I am the same height as Chris Paul, it doesnt mean I can guard him.

Dynasty
11-21-2008, 01:20 AM
Dynasty, you really underestimate how bad Pavel Podkolzin is. I saw him for two years in Dallas and everytime he came in the game he did nothing but look clumsy and awkward and turn the ball over everytime he touched it.

Dampier is so much stronger than Pavel and I guarantee you that he would do a better job than that scrub Pavel Podkolzin would.

I am the same height as Chris Paul, it doesnt mean I can guard him.

but Chris Paul has moves, Yao doesn't

We've seen Chris Paul take on bigger PGs. We've seen KG take on bigger PFs. We haven't seen Yao take on bigger C's or C's as big as him.

My point is that Yao has nothing special, just height, for the 10th time. Yao has not been successful for his moves, he's been successful because of his height, so your chris paul comparison is way off the table here..

Dynasty
11-21-2008, 01:22 AM
in simple words, if it weren't for Yao's height, he would be a SCRUB

now t hat he has someone his same height though, things are much different

phlp_bj
11-21-2008, 08:57 AM
in simple words, if it weren't for Yao's height, he would be a SCRUB

now t hat he has someone his same height though, things are much different

again the euro guy's height doesn't mean anything if he's not coordinated. yao has enough moves to score on euro guy. or he will draw fouls in which yao is a good free throw shooter

Bubba17
11-21-2008, 09:30 AM
To close to call, but i went with Miami. They just seem more complete

Dynasty
11-21-2008, 09:32 AM
what moves?? this is what I've been saying all the time, Yao doesn't have any moves, he just has height

Yao doesn't have any skills, he's just tall and that's why he's able to score

Now Pavel, all he has to do is put a hand on Yao's face and Yao will have a tough time scoring since Yao will have to jump higher than usual to score

you can't adjust a jump shot during a game, that takes months, and Yao has never faced a guy his same size

So I completely dismiss the fact that "Yao beats Pavel by miles", that is not true. Yao doesn't have any moves, he just has height.

superkegger
11-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Dynasty, your Yao argument and matchup nearly lost this one for you IMO. If it weren't for the fact that after like 3 plays of Yao dominating whatever your guys name is, and your coach subbing in dampier, I would vote for the Heat. But LeBron and KG=win.

Gunzito22
11-21-2008, 03:19 PM
got to go heat here... I love the KG/Bron team up, but any team that has Steve Francis AND Starbury on it scares the hell out of me...

this just SCREAMS "night club incident" or "suspension for violation of team policies" to me...

Dynasty
11-21-2008, 04:16 PM
:cry: why am I losing

Lebron will have to be double-teamed, KG would have to be double teamed, but they can't be double teamed at the same time, there will always be an open man on my team, whether it's KG, Ray Allen, Marbury, or even Lebron

or even Pavel who doesn't even have to jump to dunk

superkegger
11-21-2008, 04:19 PM
:cry: why am I losing

Lebron will have to be double-teamed, KG would have to be double teamed, but they can't be double teamed at the same time, there will always be an open man on my team, whether it's KG, Ray Allen, Marbury, or even Lebron

or even Pavel who doesn't even have to jump to dunk

you're losing because of Pavel. I really almost voted the other way because of that. That's just a terrible argument and a poor choice.

Dynasty
11-21-2008, 04:42 PM
It's not a terrible argument. How is it a terrible argument? You have only seen Yao play against guys 7 inches smaller than him. If you and I were 7'5'', would would be able to do the same thing he does, probably even better.

superkegger
11-21-2008, 04:48 PM
It's not a terrible argument. How is it a terrible argument? You have only seen Yao play against guys 7 inches smaller than him. If you and I were 7'5'', would would be able to do the same thing he does, probably even better.

Thing is, we've seen 7'6" guys before Yao in Bradley, Muresan, Bol, etc... they all sucked. Everyone sees Yao as a much better player than all of them, and they got outplayed by smaller guys. Even if you put a guy the same size as Yao on him, the logical conclusion is that because he is head and shoulders (bad metaphor I know) better than anyone his size has been before, its not just his size, but also his skill that makes him better. And seeing as no one has ever heard of Pavel or whatever, just goes to show that he has only made it this far because of his size and little else.

Trying to reduce Yao to a guy who is only in the NBA because of his size is just simply not true. We've seen players his size before that didnt cut it, Yao has. He's a good player who has skills far superior to his giant predecesors, or else they would have been talked about as franchise centers, not as just tall guys who played ball.

Dynasty
11-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Okay, but I'm not asking Pavel to dominate on little guys like Yao does. I don't even need Pavel to score. I have Lebron, Allen, KG, and Marbury! I just need Pavel to put a hand on Yao's face, that is all. Pavel can't do that?

Yao has been successful playing against guys 7 inches smaller than him, how about guys as tall as him? He's never faced a guy his height, and that's why I'm saying he's going to have a hard time scoring. Let's say Yao has the advantage, he still won't dominate. Yao is used to shoot 'wide open' literally. How about now, now that he's got somebody on him?

astrosmaniac
11-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Again, Yao dominates his turnaround jumper vs guys 7 inches shorter than him, but when he turns around to shoot and sees this guy his same size on him, Yao will not have his height luxury at all

by the way, did you know Yao is a career 52% shooter? this is horrible for a C, especially a 7'6'' one! He's taller than everyone he faces and he does not dominate..can you imagine faving someone his same height get outta here...

also, Yao has been injured his last 4 years

also, Yao's playoff experience can't get him past the first round, and he's never had to face a guy his same height in the playoffs

I'm telling you, Yao is nothing but height, Pavel has his same height, he will give Yao a hard time
so your saying his horrible simply because hes tall and everyone else isnt :confused: when he plays against other 7's, like dwight, its not like he sucks all of a sudden. he dominates against dwight and his experience will let him totally rape the euro dude

astrosmaniac
11-21-2008, 05:33 PM
dynasty, yao does have moves. he posts up and has a hookshot, turn around, fade away stuff on all sorts of guys. not just small guys. you say hes playing guys 7" inches smaller than him. does that mean the next tallest guy in the league is 6'10"? there are tons of 7 footers to challenge him

SensandRaps
11-21-2008, 06:01 PM
lebron carries a team of role players to the playoffs and he gets kg now thats just not fair i gtg with the celtics

Mile High Champ
11-21-2008, 06:51 PM
I really though the celtics were the best team but untill a center with no nba playoff experiecnce is statring against one of the best in the league. Its just plain stupidity.

NYMetros
11-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Celtics for me. It's going to be too hard to stop the new Big 3.

alexander_37
11-21-2008, 08:23 PM

your an idiot ... :pity:

bostncelts34
11-21-2008, 10:27 PM
i think a team with Lebron and KG, not to mention Ray allen sitting on the 3 line is just unstoppable. The D of KG and lebrons freakish athleticism on the d side is scary.

Positive for celtics: Mcgrady and Dirk will get eaten up on the defensive end, kg and lebron will muscle there way right past them, and i think KG can SLOW down dirk enough to make him not as much as an impact.

mo and starbury is a wash for me

redd and allen is pretty much a wash, except allen is more clutch, and more expierenced.

Yao kills this euro dude, but it seems like you dont know which Yao will always show up.

conclusion

celtics in 6, simply because of Lebron and KG.

bostncelts34
11-21-2008, 10:30 PM
also, the celtics won the ship last year.. now with this celtics team...your replacing Pierce with lebron. and adding a bigger threat at the PG position offensively, its hard to pick against them