PDA

View Full Version : Rosenthal: Red Sox and Angels favorites for Tex

Tragedy
11-20-2008, 04:35 PM
FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal calls the Angels and Red Sox the favorites to sign free agent Mark Teixeira.
Of course, he adds that "the Nationals remain a major player, the Yankees can not be discounted and other teams remain involved." The Boston Globe's Tony Massarotti speculated Wednesday that the Red Sox would make Teixeira the biggest offer in franchise history, meaning it would eclipse the eight-year, $160 million deal signed by Manny Ramirez.
Source: Rotoworld.com

Haven't had a hell of a lot of Tex talk the last couple of days, and now that we're starting to hear "favorites" being thrown around, it's time to get serious.

Could be another Red Sox vs. Angels thing. Hope it ends the same way all the ALDS's end (KIDDING NATE!):p

DewsSox79
11-20-2008, 04:37 PM
if the red sox get texiera that team will be crazy good

4GIVEBILLBUCK
11-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Ellsbury, pedroia, ortiz, TEIXEIRA, youkilis, bay, drew.....best 1-7 in MLB

viktor06
11-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Red Sox have an incredibly good team and huge money to spend...this offseason could put them into league of their own, if they add Teixeira and Burnett/Lowe. The only weak point is Ellsbury, but he should improve

Maddog-99
11-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Epstein is the man, but dont count out Reagins & Moreno.
Where do the Angels go if we dont get Tex? While Boston has a solid plan in place.
When its all said & done, we wont get "Konerko'ed" on this one.
Tex will be a Halo.

Tragedy
11-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Red Sox have an incredibly good team and huge money to spend...this offseason could put them into league of their own, if they add Teixeira and Burnett/Lowe. The only weak point is Ellsbury, but he should improve
I'd think the weakest point of the lineup next year would be the SS position. Lowrie proved to be average last year, but that doesn't mean full time playing will translate into anything better (though, he had a fractured wrist last season, so that may have contributed to his not playing as well). Ellsbury isn't the weakest link because, while he gets into awful funks, when he gets hot, he's outstanding.

I still have my thoughts that Tex will end up elsewhere, but my god how excited I'd be if we signed him.

viktor06
11-20-2008, 05:06 PM
I'd think the weakest point of the lineup next year would be the SS position. Lowrie proved to be average last year, but that doesn't mean full time playing will translate into anything better (though, he had a fractured wrist last season, so that may have contributed to his not playing as well). Ellsbury isn't the weakest link because, while he gets into awful funks, when he gets hot, he's outstanding.

I still have my thoughts that Tex will end up elsewhere, but my god how excited I'd be if we signed him.

Yeah, but I think Lowrie brings better defense while playing premium position. If Ellsbury posts good defense with .350+ OBP, he'll be fine. Same with Lowrie

papipapsmanny
11-20-2008, 05:07 PM
please please

GrkGawdofWalkz
11-20-2008, 05:08 PM
I pray, for this to happen. That's exactly the type of news that made my no sleep three days worth it. Well not no sleep but almost it.

homie564
11-20-2008, 05:08 PM
wow... lol.. the more i think actually te more i want tex in boston nd for us to flip lowell for some prospects or an up and comming pitcher.. like a volstad type guy would be nice :D

futureheisman
11-20-2008, 05:26 PM
He will sign with the Sox

Manny Paplfavre
11-20-2008, 05:30 PM
wow... lol.. the more i think actually te more i want tex in boston nd for us to flip lowell for some prospects or an up and comming pitcher.. like a volstad type guy would be nice :D

At that point I think we'll be lucky if we aren't paying any of Lowell's salary. I doubt we get much of anything for him, unless we're willing to eat part of his salary.

Havoc Wreaker
11-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Tex in Boston :ohno:

Unown99
11-20-2008, 05:40 PM
at of those two team... i dont care who gets him because they arnt in the national league

bleedpinstripes
11-20-2008, 05:41 PM
I was luke warm on Tex, don't consider signing him a necessity as much as a luxury for the Yankees...but if the Sox are players that might change that. I'm never a fan of reacting in accordance to what another team is doing but it might be needed in this case.

bleedpinstripes
11-20-2008, 05:42 PM
He will sign with the Sox

****, I didn't realize. Well forget my last post, I didn't realize it was a done deal

Tragedy
11-20-2008, 05:57 PM
****, I didn't realize. Well forget my last post, I didn't realize it was a done deal
:laugh:

Welcome to what I deal with.

DieHardColtsfan
11-20-2008, 05:59 PM
do not count the yanks out... we need some pop

S.P.
11-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Hmm, what on earth could make me hate the Red Sox more than I already do? I will jump off a bridge, I swear.

vladdy#27
11-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Hmm, what on earth could make me hate the Red Sox more than I already do? I will jump off a bridge, I swear.

or we could throw Teixeira off the bridge:guns:

GA16Angels
11-20-2008, 06:27 PM
If Mark Teixeira signs with the Sox I am definitely killing Gary Matthews Jr.

Tragedy
11-20-2008, 06:28 PM
:laugh:

ots_drummer
11-20-2008, 06:31 PM

hilarious!!!

As a Boston native living in socal, with two angels fans, this is turning into a very heated competition fast!

TheHoopsProphet
11-20-2008, 06:39 PM
If its going to take a 10-year contract for the winner to take Texiera, than the Red Sox can have him. Can you imagine a guy nearing 40 years old getting paid $20 million? Sure, he'll catapult them to the best lineup in baseball, and sure he'll start being recognized as a top 5 hitter in baseball, he may even win some MVP awards, heck he'll probably get them a few championship rings but when he's going on 38,39, unable to catch up with a 89 mph fastball, while blocking the salaries of other players who will deserve the money more than him, that's when i'll be laughing, and laugh at the day that they signed mark texiera to that 10 year deal...i think.

Jon Kish
11-20-2008, 06:41 PM
I know you r-socks fan hate us NYY but imagine Damon Jeter Manny Arod Texieria Abreu(if they traded Nady) Matsui Cano Posada hows that 1-9 I really dont hate Boston even though I'm a NYY fan Tampa I do and the LA Angels---I enjoy the yanks socks rivalry but it died a bit to me after you won it was there but damon coming over ahh he was like your leader of beards to me and schilling to it changed----

I will say this about my yanks if you are interedsted you have the better GM!---Casman is truly an idiot

why with young Sp's like Hughes and Kennedy(he i would trade)--would they really want CC AJ and Lowe they should pass on Lowe----land CC AJ to go with Wang and Joba 5th let Hughes compete the way u guys did with Bucholz Masterson and those other kids Lester too---I bet your glad he didnt go for Johan---he's a great story home grown I really respect him----I live near greenville SC and lived below your single a players so I messed with them a bit I lived on top in an apt so I always said NY was on top haha they were great kids really good guys!---But back to my squad letting Lowe pass we get a bit younger and signing Manny who some of you I'm sure hate brings a bit of the rivalry back for me and tex we need you guys really dont mike and youk are good guys you guys shouldnt screw Lowell if anything get Lowe maybe?---damon speaks highly but even I have doubts remember his last yr there? and he pitched in nl west they cant hit and have p friendly parks so I wanted to see your ideas on him?

If I were Cashman and signed Manny Tex losing giambi and abreu---adding CC and AJ I'd be done with FA---then either let Huges go for the 5th I would--- and let gardner and a jacks fight for CF i dont like swisher other than the bench and cameron is a joke!----rf I could see a trade made possibly matt holiday trade time but Cashman likes Nady I dont he's very avg your GM is better despite Manny being odd Bay gives you guys a good player---holliday is like that ---thats why I'd make a push for him or bring abreu back as my 6 hole hitter see your lineup is great but u see how I'd match it cashman? cant figure the guy out? anyway good luck this year as long as we both beat TAMPA GOD THAT WAS TERRIBLE!

Tragedy
11-20-2008, 06:41 PM
If its going to take a 10-year contract for the winner to take Texiera, than the Red Sox can have him. Can you imagine a guy nearing 40 years old getting paid $20 million? Sure, he'll catapult them to the best lineup in baseball, and sure he'll start being recognized as a top 5 hitter in baseball, he may even win some MVP awards, heck he'll probably get them a few championship rings but when he's going on 38,39, unable to catch up with a 89 mph fastball, while blocking the salaries of other players who will deserve the money more than him, that's when i'll be laughing, and laugh at the day that they signed mark texiera to that 10 year deal...i think.
Okay, that's fine. I'll take him for a 10 year deal if over the next 7 years we win a couple of World Series while he dominates pitchers and wins a couple of MVP awards.

I will absolutely take that + him sucking the final 2 years of the deal.

S.P.
11-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Okay, that's fine. I'll take him for a 10 year deal if over the next 7 years we win a couple of World Series while he dominates pitchers and wins a couple of MVP awards.

agree

SportsFan17
11-20-2008, 06:44 PM

And that's assuming he forgets how to play baseball at the end of his deal. He's going to be productive, but he won't get 10 years anyway.

S.P.
11-20-2008, 06:46 PM
or we could throw Teixeira off the bridge:guns:

Seriously, why hasn't anyone kidnapped his family? If you ever want to see them again, sign on the line which is dotted.

:D

Just playin' :shifty:

viktor06
11-20-2008, 06:49 PM

Thats an incredible quote, got me laughing bad

Eaglesfan05
11-20-2008, 07:01 PM
If the Red Sex get Tex im guessing he will play 1st and they will move youk to third. Then wtf do they do with the 2007 world series mvp mike lowell who they just signed to a big deal?

Tragedy
11-20-2008, 07:03 PM
If the Red Sex get Tex im guessing he will play 1st and they will move youk to third. Then wtf do they do with the 2007 world series mvp mike lowell who they just signed to a big deal?
Trade him and his final two years to a team that needs a 3B? That's been the talk for a while now.

yahmez88
11-20-2008, 07:17 PM
wow they would be ridiculous with tex

bagwell368
11-20-2008, 07:23 PM
wow they would be ridiculous with tex

Yes, that's the point....

Adalbjorg
11-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Epstein is the man, but dont count out Reagins & Moreno.
Where do the Angels go if we dont get Tex? While Boston has a solid plan in place.
When its all said & done, we wont get "Konerko'ed" on this one.
Tex will be a Halo.

If the Angels don't get Teix, they go after Sabathia in all likeliness.

S.P.
11-20-2008, 07:25 PM
What are the terms of Lowell's current contract?

Adalbjorg
11-20-2008, 07:27 PM

The Red Sox would either trade him during the offseason or use him as a backup and then trade him at the deadline. There's talk that the D-Backs are interested and would trade catcher Miguel Montero.

Adalbjorg
11-20-2008, 07:28 PM

Now you know how the rest of baseball fans feel when Yankees fans claim that Sabathia will 100% be in pinstripes next year.

Tragedy
11-20-2008, 07:43 PM
What are the terms of Lowell's current contract?
He's got 2 years left. $12 million per.

Jon Kish
11-20-2008, 07:43 PM
hey isnt there a NYY in that picture? haha now manny becomes the new babe!! As a yankee fan I see more hatred toward the angels that says enough NY needs to sign everyone just to piss everyone off haha!

S.P.
11-20-2008, 07:54 PM
As a yankee fan I see more hatred toward the angels

I thought that blew over. In fact every Yankee fan I know (which is quite a few) wished me the best of luck against our common enemy in Oct. Drunken hugs and everything. Obviously, wishing ain't worth a %&*$ :mad:

Adalbjorg
11-20-2008, 07:55 PM
There's a lot of stuff working in the Red Sox favor here. They have more money to spend, they've already offered a deal, they likely won't put a deadline on their deal like the Angels will, they're the better team, they have the better hitting park and the better hitters to put around Teixeira. To me, this will come down to whether or not Teixiera would want to play in Boston or not.

McPeak92
11-20-2008, 07:57 PM
i thought we already knew this...

Tragedy
11-20-2008, 08:00 PM
i thought we already knew this...
You knew that it was the Red Sox and Angels as the number 1 favorites rather than the O's and Yankees as well?

BTownTeamsRKing
11-20-2008, 08:16 PM
This is good news. Tex will be a Red Sox player by the time its over.

1. Red Sox love Tex, they been after him for years
2. no prospects will be given up to get him, this is what stopped Boston in the past.
3. money is no object to the Red Sox.

i agree completely with tony mazzeroti's assessment of the situation

marques724
11-20-2008, 08:20 PM
I think it depends on if the yanks get CC if they do I think he goes to Boston. IF CC signs elsewhere then the yanks go hard after Tex.

TheHoopsProphet
11-20-2008, 08:56 PM
I guess sarcasm's hard to detect over the internet. i'll take note of that in the future.

sportwiz628
11-20-2008, 09:00 PM
I dont understand why the sox want tex where would he play

yaowowrocket11
11-20-2008, 09:03 PM
I dont understand why the sox want tex where would he play

1B..........The Sox goal is to sign Tex, play him at 1B, move Youk to 3B, and trade Lowell.

Will it happen? I'm not so sure........Do I hope it happens? Absolutely.

natepro
11-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Could be another Red Sox vs. Angels thing. Hope it ends the same way all the ALDS's end (KIDDING NATE!):p

I'll cut you.

...and by that, of course, I mean I won't let you on my team.

natepro
11-20-2008, 09:13 PM
This is good news. Tex will be a Red Sox player by the time its over.

1. Red Sox love Tex, they been after him for years
2. no prospects will be given up to get him, this is what stopped Boston in the past.
3. money is no object to the Red Sox.

i agree completely with tony mazzeroti's assessment of the situation

:yawn:

WSU Tony
11-20-2008, 09:13 PM

Funny thing is last off season in the Santana talks all Sox fans were guaranteeing Ellsbury would be a .300 + average. I haven't heard the Sox were in the bidding war, I thought it was NY with or without Sabathia or the Angels.

Posturing to cost the Yankees on the Sox part?

ccspence8
11-20-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm sorry but its Lowell's time to go. I remember when they signed him for another 4 years thinking how stupid they were for wasting all that money on Lowell. People complained saying how great he is but when it was all said and done he is still a good player but it looks like injuries are going to get the best of him. Its time to move on just like Varitek, Nixon, Mueller, Nomar, and Schilling.

Pedroia
Youkilis
Ortiz
Teixeira
Bay
Drew
Lowrie
Varitek/Salty?
Ellsbury

our 1-6 is absolutely stacked, I think they would rather have Ellsbury bat 9th most of the time until he can get used to the Big Leagues. And if u have him bat 1st then Drew/Bay is the number 7 hitter.

redsox08!
11-20-2008, 09:33 PM

i agree 100 percent

papipapsmanny
11-20-2008, 10:20 PM
please redsox fans the few of you that have, stop saying he will be a redsox, i mean its one of the reasons the yanks fans piss me off. Nothing is a done deal ever, sometimes i feel the true redsox fans are the ones who live life by that.

anyways i hope it happens, but there is no guarantee at all they we are actually on his top 3 list

Adalbjorg
11-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Funny thing is last off season in the Santana talks all Sox fans were guaranteeing Ellsbury would be a .300 + average. I haven't heard the Sox were in the bidding war, I thought it was NY with or without Sabathia or the Angels.

Posturing to cost the Yankees on the Sox part?

What does Ellsbury and Santana have to do with Teixeira???

Uncle Funster
11-21-2008, 12:54 AM
It's all guesswork at this point. Rosenthal just needs to justify his existence.

natepro
11-21-2008, 02:46 AM
please redsox fans the few of you that have, stop saying he will be a redsox, i mean its one of the reasons the yanks fans piss me off. Nothing is a done deal ever, sometimes i feel the true redsox fans are the ones who live life by that.

anyways i hope it happens, but there is no guarantee at all they we are actually on his top 3 list

Rationality. It's a beautiful thing. :clap:

Jon Kish
11-21-2008, 02:58 AM
to the angel fan I meant bostons hatred for you not us though I dont look foward to seeing u in the playoffs hahaha!

C-ross12
11-21-2008, 07:21 AM
I almost feel like Theo has a longterm plan for the sox that doesn't include Teix, but includes some guy named Lars Anderson? Either way RS fans have a lot to be excited for. Tradegy I think I read somewhere he can play Corner OF. Am I totally off here?

bosox3431
11-21-2008, 01:23 PM
What does Ellsbury and Santana have to do with Teixeira???

Thats what my exact thought was. The I looked at who posted it, and realized it's the same guy who always likes to stir **** up with Red Sox fans.

YanksFan89
11-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Mark Teixeira has worn No. 23 his entire baseball life because his favorite player as a boy was Don Mattingly

"Just my own personal opinion, I see him playing in New York," says Dave Norton, who was Teixeira's coach at Mount St. Joseph High School in Baltimore. "I see him going there and see his career going further than it already has. It's a great fit for him. To play for the Yankees, the storied history, would be great for him."

After the '98 draft, Teixeira held hard feelings against Boston, telling the Baltimore Sun in 1999: "The Red Sox then spread the word I wasn't interested in signing. That was unfair. I don't think after what happened that I want any future involvement with the Red Sox."

It's unclear whether that will affect his first shot at free agency, but Norton says, "I can't say he'll never be a Red Sox, but they would have to go pretty hard at him. It didn't sit well with him."

source (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/11/09/2008-11-09_meet_mark_teixeira_the_big_bat_on_the_fr.html)

maybe he doesn't want to play for boston unless they blow him away, which may be hard to do competing with the angels and yankees

papipapsmanny
11-21-2008, 05:11 PM
I almost feel like Theo has a longterm plan for the sox that doesn't include Teix, but includes some guy named Lars Anderson? Either way RS fans have a lot to be excited for. Tradegy I think I read somewhere he can play Corner OF. Am I totally off here?

Anderson Could play LF I think I heard that somewhere when he was 1st drafted

Towelie
11-21-2008, 05:39 PM
source (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/11/09/2008-11-09_meet_mark_teixeira_the_big_bat_on_the_fr.html)

maybe he doesn't want to play for boston unless they blow him away, which may be hard to do competing with the angels and yankees

That is so ridiculous I can't even tell how far it's reaching.

TheShowzOver
11-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Tex is coming to Boston and when he does you can bet the show is over. That title is on lock. I wasn't here for game 7 against the Rays due to an unfair ban but low and behold what happened in the World Series? Yea, the Rays got dismantled by the Phills. Why? Because like i said before they are still the Tampa Bay Devil Rays because they still suck, basically what i'm saying is if my Sox were healthy we would of swept right through the World Series and locked down another title. Make no mistake 2009 is our year, and that's just how it's going to be

bleedpinstripes
11-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Each fan base has these kind of fans, but add success and a bad fan goes to terrible in a hurry.

C-ross12
11-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Tex is coming to Boston and when he does you can bet the show is over. That title is on lock. I wasn't here for game 7 against the Rays due to an unfair ban but low and behold what happened in the World Series? Yea, the Rays got dismantled by the Phills. Why? Because like i said before they are still the Tampa Bay Devil Rays because they still suck, basically what i'm saying is if my Sox were healthy we would of swept right through the World Series and locked down another title. Make no mistake 2009 is our year, and that's just how it's going to be

What?

Tragedy
11-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Oh, great. You guaranteed a World Series title for us, so now I'm confident Tex is signing elsewhere.

CityofChamps924
11-21-2008, 10:46 PM

That was the previous Red Sox management. I've read before that he didn't hold that against the new Sox FO and I don't think that will be a factor at all.

Dburch1102
11-21-2008, 11:00 PM
imagine that TRAGEDY posts a link that BOSTON is one of the 2 favorites for Tex :p

natepro
11-22-2008, 06:35 AM

Given that this is coming from the guy who guaranteed the Sox would beat the Rays... I agree with everything you said! :cheers:

Sportfan
11-22-2008, 11:03 AM

Lars isn't going to play probably till September 2009 or 2010. Ortiz might be gone by then. Or they could trade Lars to get a superstar player (I hope not)

GrkGawdofWalkz
11-22-2008, 11:23 AM

It's good to be confident, but as a poster you should consider that nothing is a lock until it's a done deal. A multitude of things can go wrong during any season. Teixeria has stated he has no preference on which coast he plays on and he'd like to have this done by Dec. 25th. I would love to see him in Boston colors, and from what someone else brought up about Duquette, that has nothing to do with current management, the scope of the team build or any dynamic.

homie564
11-22-2008, 11:49 AM
Lars isn't going to play probably till September 2009 or 2010. Ortiz might be gone by then. Or they could trade Lars to get a superstar player (I hope not)

lars wont be here for a while.. id say around 2012

Uncle Funster
11-22-2008, 11:53 AM

With homer logic like that, who can argue?:rolleyes:

Tragedy
11-22-2008, 11:56 AM
imagine that TRAGEDY posts a link that BOSTON is one of the 2 favorites for Tex :p
Absolutely.:o

lars wont be here for a while.. id say around 2012
2011 at the latest.

homie564
11-22-2008, 12:02 PM
2011 at the latest.

well i wouldnt think were gonna let papi walk just to bring him up

Tragedy
11-22-2008, 12:13 PM
well i wouldnt think were gonna let papi walk just to bring him up
We don't have to. There are a number of factors that can effect now until then:

1) Ortiz never regaining form.
2) Lowell is a FA after 2010.
3) Potential move to the OF if Bay leaves.

etc, etc, etc.