PDA

View Full Version : Anyone understand these Rule V parameters?

hoog
11-20-2008, 01:40 PM
What constitutes whether a minor leaguer qualifies or not? Also, anyone hear who made our 40 man roster? I want to see who they left available for the league Rule V draft. We lost Randor Bierd, who I thought was a pretty decent prospect, last year so I just want to see who might get drafted this year. Any help?

Yes, We Deliver
11-20-2008, 03:38 PM
I think every player who's not on the 40 man roster is qualified to be drafted in the Rule 5 draft. I'd be willing to bet that players who were drafted within the past season or two are not qualified, but somebody can correct me on that if they want.

Tragedy
11-20-2008, 03:51 PM
If signed at age 18, you're exempt from the draft for FOUR years. So, if in 4 years after age 18 you're not on the 40 man roster, you can be apart of the Rule 5 draft, and get drafted to another team.

If signed at age 19 and older, it's 3 years that you're exempt from the draft. After that, if you're not on the 40 man roster, you can be apart of the Rule 5 draft, and get drafted to another team.

The team that drafts you must give the original team a form of compensation. This comes in the form of $50,000.

Once drafted by the team, you must remain on the roster for the entire season (they will always hide you by placing you on the DL and having you go on minor league rehab stints to prepare you for MLB). If they choose not to keep the player on the roster all year, they must offer the player back to the former team for half the price that they paid (since they originally paid $50,000, they must offer him back for $25,000).

Hope that clears everything for you.

Bondomania
11-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Casper Wells
Guillermo Moscoso
Wilkin Ramirez
Alfredo Figaro

were the 4 that i have seen that were officially added to the 40 man roster

Bondomania
11-20-2008, 04:48 PM
oh and Zach Simons... was added forgot him

Skelton
Sborz
Marte

were all left off.. Marte has been injured a lot, he had an elbow scare this past season, but rest cured it.. but he has had some should stiffness in the AFL.. I am really surprised the tigers left Sborz unprotected.. he is a big guy with a pure power arm and he finally put it together this season and dominated after several seasons of not being able to command his pitches.. however, he never made it past lakeland.. i am just hoping that no one will pick him up, because i think he will be a key to our bullpen possible as soon as mid-season..

mark1125
11-20-2008, 06:54 PM
And remember that if a player is taken, they have to keep that player on their major league roster for the entire season or send him back to the original team. Might reduce the tempation for one of those guys to be taken. Remember the first season Chris Shelton was a Tiger. He got like 50 at bats the whole year when we took him from Pitt.