PDA

View Full Version : Overachievers

JayW_1023
11-19-2008, 06:03 AM
Who are some of your favorite overachieving players?

- Jameer Nelson is slow and limited as a playmaker, but he still puts up solid numbers.
- Kirilenko, the guy has limited talent but his court awareness allows him to fill the stat sheet in a hurry.

Those are two on the top of my head...anyone else?

Chronz
11-19-2008, 06:09 AM
Are you talking about players overcoming their diminutive stature to perform or players who are playing over their heads as of right now?

If its the former then yea Id have to agree with the Jameer selection, also Delonte he just reeks of hustle and plays well above his height.

If its the latter then Id have to say Duncan, I just dont think hes THIS GOOD offensively, its abit odd for a player to have a career year offensively at the age of 31 especially when all his best shooters and playmakers are missing,

Faneik
11-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Brian Scalabrine

astrosmaniac
11-19-2008, 08:42 AM
Are you talking about players overcoming their diminutive stature to perform or players who are playing over their heads as of right now?

If its the former then yea Id have to agree with the Jameer selection, also Delonte he just reeks of hustle and plays well above his height.

If its the latter then Id have to say Duncan, I just dont think hes THIS GOOD offensively, its abit odd for a player to have a career year offensively at the age of 31 especially when all his best shooters and playmakers are missing,

well when you take away 2 top 25 players who are scoring around 20 PPG, then all they can do is feed the ball to duncan

lakerboy
11-19-2008, 09:16 AM
I know Laker fans hate Walton, but really, I think Luke should be in this list. He can't shoot, he can't jump, he can't dunk, and he definitely can't defend. Athletically, he can't do ****.

He's still in the NBA, while we're in a sports forum talking about today's game.

DreamShaker
11-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Chuck Hayes being in the NBA is proof of what hard work can do...he is a 6'5 power forward with absolutely no offensive game who can barely dunk...but he battles constantly on D and on the boards so he gets minutes on a stacked Rockets team....

Hellcrooner
11-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Marc Gasol, Was fat like hell but he worked hard to slim fdown, was slow as hell but worked out his feet movement to make up for it, had to hear that he signed for barcelona bvecause of hsi brother developed his game, had to hear he reacehd spain team because of last name, became a starter on his own, had to hear he only was drafted because of his brother name, he is on memphis, had to hear he would be just a bnench filler, he is starting

and all of that when he was by no means given the phisic and playing smart that his brohter was given.

I wonder if he can ever overcome his brohter basing just on hard work

Kabowdos
11-19-2008, 11:41 AM
LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and Deron Williams.

kingjanjic
11-19-2008, 12:12 PM
I know Laker fans hate Walton, but really, I think Luke should be in this list. He can't shoot, he can't jump, he can't dunk, and he definitely can't defend. Athletically, he can't do ****.

He's still in the NBA, while we're in a sports forum talking about today's game.

hahahahha co sign

JayW_1023
11-19-2008, 12:30 PM

Well if you constantly face double teams on the block you must be doing something right. The modern big man can shoot off the dribble like Dirk, KG and Amare. Just because TD plays a more traditional big man game doesn't make him an overachiever in my opinion. I guess you could call Tim an overachiever in the sense that he started playing hoops relatively late.

I agree about Delonte...good pick there. The guy can play both guard positions, what he lacks in talent he compensates with competitiveness and heart. I'm a big Delonte fan and him starting at the two was a great move by coach Brown.

mrblisterdundee
11-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Maybe LeBron James is an overachiever. If he forced his team to do more, they might become more reliable.

Rockets Fanatic
11-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Chuck Hayes

Chronz
11-19-2008, 03:09 PM
well when you take away 2 top 25 players who are scoring around 20 PPG, then all they can do is feed the ball to duncan

Him getting the ball is expected (Career high in USG%), him scoring more efficiently with more defensive pressure and double teams galore on him isnt.

Lost Art
11-19-2008, 03:16 PM
An interesting thread would be "who is overachieving thus far this season and who will see their numbers drop as the season continues?"

Chronz
11-19-2008, 03:38 PM
Thats pretty easy Joe Johnson, Anthony Morrow, Shaq, Roy, Biedrins, Vince, Zydrunas, AK47, Randolph, Ariza, Prince, Ben Gordon, Pietrus, Camby, Ben Wallace, Duncan

PutMeInCoach
11-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Mikki Moore is over achieving right now... not when he is playing.. but right now, when he is hurt... this is the best hes done since he has been with the kings! Keep it up and he might get an extension!

DerekRE_3
11-19-2008, 06:44 PM
Thats pretty easy Joe Johnson, Anthony Morrow, Shaq, Roy, Biedrins, Vince, Zydrunas, AK47, Randolph, Ariza, Prince, Ben Gordon, Pietrus, Camby, Ben Wallace, Duncan

I would argue Pietrus has underachieved in his career. He has a ton of athleticism, is a good defender and a good rebounder for his size. But he never took that next step.

When he was just coming out they called him the French MJ.

JAZZNC
11-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Udonis Haslem. The guy isn't that athletic or "big" but he's just solid. He has worked on his jumper to the point where it's almost automatic and he's an excellent rebounder for his size. He's the kind of guy that anyone would love to have on their team and he'd get minutes no matter how stacked the front line is.

Kings Faithful
11-19-2008, 09:30 PM
bobby brown, john salmons, spencer hawes

Lakers4ItAll
11-19-2008, 10:08 PM
R u kidding?

Who are some of your favorite overachieving players?

- Jameer Nelson is slow and limited as a playmaker, but he still puts up solid numbers.
- Kirilenko, the guy has limited talent but his court awareness allows him to fill the stat sheet in a hurry.

Those are two on the top of my head...anyone else?

Chronz
11-20-2008, 04:12 PM
I would argue Pietrus has underachieved in his career. He has a ton of athleticism, is a good defender and a good rebounder for his size. But he never took that next step.

When he was just coming out they called him the French MJ.

I was actually responding to Lost Arts post about which players will most likely see their numbers drop, but yes I agree, Ive been waiting for Pietrus to break out for like 5 years now, we went to a few Warrior games in LA and my friends always chant stuff at him, he looked surprise to see people knew who he was.