PDA

View Full Version : When will Wrigley Field get an Upgrade or new park?

SportsWinner410
11-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Don't ya think it's time for Chicago Cubs to get a new ballpark or a new Wrigley Field I understand it has alot of history but you have to wonder sometime in the near future it can't last forever and diehard Cubs fans know that.:cry:

DewsSox79
11-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Don't ya think it's time for Chicago Cubs to get a new ballpark or a new Wrigley Field I understand it has alot of history but you have to wonder sometime in the near future it can't last forever and diehard Cubs fans know that.:cry:

I doubt they will get a new park. Not that they cannot afford it, the park generates so much revenue especially being in that gold mine of an area.

The inside of the park and what it offers sucks. The bathrooms suck, the food sucks....maybe upgrading that would be better.

redwhitenblue
11-18-2008, 05:08 PM
I doubt they will get a new park. Not that they cannot afford it, the park generates so much revenue especially being in that gold mine of an area.

The inside of the park and what it offers sucks. The bathrooms suck, the food sucks....maybe upgrading that would be better.
That's, sadly enough, part of Wrigley though. They still have the troughs from decades upon decades ago.

It's been expanded in the last 2-3 years, putting that much money into it wouldn't happen if they were planning on taking it down. Wrigley is going to be around for another decade easily before they even start considering full-scale renovations

theproof
11-18-2008, 05:10 PM
The cubs fans love for Wrigley is the same as the way they love there team. Wrigley Field Sucks to be in but they pretend to love it. The cubs team gets there fans hopes up and continues to destroy there dreams year after year and yet the fans still act like they are the the most succesful team in the world.

chicagofan71
11-18-2008, 05:15 PM
The cubs fans love for Wrigley is the same as the way they love there team. Wrigley Field Sucks to be in but they pretend to love it. The cubs team gets there fans hopes up and continues to destroy there dreams year after year and yet the fans still act like they are the the most succesful team in the world.

:laugh2: Coming from a Giants fan

theproof
11-18-2008, 05:17 PM
:laugh2: Coming from a Giants fan

A cubs fan can't even begin to talk ****. It's been over 100 Years. 100 years!!!

futureheisman
11-18-2008, 05:21 PM
I think it will get an upgrade

LeBrowns
11-18-2008, 05:27 PM
I was against New York getting taken out, Fenway and Wrigley are the only two classic stadiums left and I hope both are kept as long as possible.

DewsSox79
11-18-2008, 05:28 PM
That's, sadly enough, part of Wrigley though. They still have the troughs from decades upon decades ago.

It's been expanded in the last 2-3 years, putting that much money into it wouldn't happen if they were planning on taking it down. Wrigley is going to be around for another decade easily before they even start considering full-scale renovations

yep. as far as game experience it is a great place when you are in your seats. i only go to wrigley 3 times a year to watch the sox and it is always a good time. it seems like their are more real baseball fans that are knowledgeable about the game at those events. I did go to the comeback game that the cubs pulled off last year against the rockies for work and the cub fans were idiots. but all and all it is a great place to watch baseball. and the local establishments afterwards are actually pretty nice to sox fans. :):) It will be definetly a decade or more. It is a gravy train right now out there, it would be stupid to move to like arlington heights or something like that.

Yogi
11-18-2008, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't mind a huge, luxurious 65,000 seat ballpark. :pray:

DewsSox79
11-18-2008, 05:31 PM

stop...they have been excited latley because they are putting together contenders every year something that the cubs arent used to. they dont think they are the best they are just excited.

Hammer
11-18-2008, 05:35 PM
IMO

Eventually they will tear it down foul pole to foul pole. Leave the field/bleachers/scoreboard.

Revamp the whole concourse. There is space to expand on the NorthWest sign of the stadium at Clark and Waveland.

At least thats what I expect. I live down Kenmore and moving the ballpark would kill the value of my home.

N.Z's #1 Dodger
11-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Respect history. I hope it stands for as long as possible.

SportsWinner410
11-18-2008, 05:42 PM
Well it seems like the Cubs of Chicago have alot of pride and passion for their team and your saying we might see them here for the next 20-30 years at Wrigley? Is that what your saying?

DewsSox79
11-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Well it seems like the Cubs of Chicago have alot of pride and passion for their team and your saying we might see them here for the next 20-30 years at Wrigley? Is that what your saying?

i would not doubt that

No Fun League
11-19-2008, 01:32 PM
it should go, like yankee stadium bring the walls down!

1908_Cubs
11-19-2008, 01:42 PM
It wont be replaced, but the grandstand will have to be ripped down and re-done in the next 5-10 years, if you ask me.

They'll probably play that season in Miller or in the Cell, splitting games with the Sox and the Brewers.

Steve Kerr
11-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Wrigley's location is too prime to tear down and move out Wrigleyville as long as the Cubs keep raking in money there is no way that is gets torn down any day soon. GO CUBS!

hoggin88
11-19-2008, 02:52 PM
I would be sad to see Wrigley go. I don't care if it isn't as nice as new stadiums. I think it's great to have an old park that has seen a lot of history.

Sometimes I hear people complaining that Wrigley smells like piss. Sure, I guess the bathrooms do, but not the stadium. Believe it or not, it smells like a normal baseball field.

I honestly could care less about a stadium looking or "feeling" nicer at the expense of losing a historic place.

mlciganek
11-19-2008, 03:10 PM
IMO

Eventually they will tear it down foul pole to foul pole. Leave the field/bleachers/scoreboard.

Revamp the whole concourse. There is space to expand on the NorthWest sign of the stadium at Clark and Waveland.

At least thats what I expect. I live down Kenmore and moving the ballpark would kill the value of my home.

I agree with just leaving bleachers/field and scoreboard and tearing down the rest..but lets get rid of the damn baskets too!!!

DewsSox79
11-19-2008, 05:59 PM
I agree with just leaving bleachers/field and scoreboard and tearing down the rest..but lets get rid of the damn baskets too!!!

I say leave it alone! just maintain it so it remains safe.

Kinsm
11-19-2008, 06:38 PM
At some point the Cubs will have to build a new stadium (maybe not for another 20 years) but the fact that they could make so much more in ticket revenues if they had another 15,000 seats will force them to do it. Although, I don't think Wrigley will be torn down, it will become a historical site, maybe a minor league team will play there. I have no idea where they would build a new one, but they'll find a place.

DewsSox79
11-19-2008, 06:47 PM
At some point the Cubs will have to build a new stadium (maybe not for another 20 years) but the fact that they could make so much more in ticket revenues if they had another 15,000 seats will force them to do it. Although, I don't think Wrigley will be torn down, it will become a historical site, maybe a minor league team will play there. I have no idea where they would build a new one, but they'll find a place.

maybe they could modify the upperdeck..i dunno

mnrlgry
11-19-2008, 10:04 PM

It'll get torn down. Yankee stadium was baseball's only true mecca (even an architectural historical site) and even it got torn down. Bottom line is if Yankee Stadium can get torn down, Wrigley will as well.

Jimi032890
11-19-2008, 10:25 PM
It'll get torn down. Yankee stadium was baseball's only true mecca (even an architectural historical site) and even it got torn down. Bottom line is if Yankee Stadium can get torn down, Wrigley will as well.

well we all know it will eventually, no denying that. just a matter of time. i hope it stays for while tho. GO SOX! lol

Jimi032890
11-19-2008, 10:27 PM
It wont be replaced, but the grandstand will have to be ripped down and re-done in the next 5-10 years, if you ask me.

They'll probably play that season in Miller or in the Cell, splitting games with the Sox and the Brewers.

no way i see that happening. practically not playing 1 home game for an entire season? ya, the cell is just on the other side of town, and miller park always is filled with cubs fans when they go there but i just do not see that happening.

redwhitenblue
11-19-2008, 10:28 PM
no way i see that happening. practically not playing 1 home game for an entire season? ya, the cell is just on the other side of town, and miller park always is filled with cubs fans when they go there but i just do not see that happening.
To renovate the grandstand they'd have to, Cell games would still easily be home games for the Cubs and as you say Milwaukee always has Cubs fans dominating the crowd.

It's happened in other sports before, it can happen again.

mnrlgry
11-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Unless the Cub's gave the white sox/brewers 100% of ticket/concession/merchandise profits I really doubt they would let a cross-town rival or division rival use their stadium all season.

The Cubs will probably have to move out of Wrigleyville when they build a new stadium, there was an article a couple years back in USA today about it. The footing that Wrigley is in isn't big enough for modern stadium and a lot of new zoning laws would seriously prohibit them from doing it anyway.

Eminent domain and taking out Waveland or a couple other surrounding blocks would be the only solution if they wanted to build in the same spot, all modern baseball stadiums start construction right next to the old stadium and tear it down the minute the season ends.

I'm surprised Cub's fans don't want a new stadium. I get that Wrigley is part of the tradition, but they could make so much more money with a new stadium and increase payroll.

Cullksinikers
11-19-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm a Cubs fan, and I hate driving into Wrigleyville. I only go to day games because you can't park at night without paying a fortune.

hoggin88
11-19-2008, 11:16 PM
I'm a Cubs fan, and I hate driving into Wrigleyville. I only go to day games because you can't park at night without paying a fortune.

Parking is annoying, but you don't have to pay a fortune. You can either park a ways away and walk, or park somewhere that has a cheap shuttle. I parked at Devry University and it was 6 dollars per carload of people, with a free shuttle to the game. Just have to know where to go.

Therefore, Wrigley has no flaws and should stand forever. :D

Yogi
11-20-2008, 07:43 AM

Keep the baskets.