PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes it's better to let expiring contracts expire:

Kiss Ma Grits
11-18-2008, 04:31 PM
I know we tried to trade Wally to New Jersey for Vince (which I am so glad didn't happen) but the best thing Cleveland could do is let Wally's contract expire and wait for 2010. They're contenders already and they have everyone locked up except Anderson Verajao and the only person I'm concerned about replacing is Illguaskus and we have two drafts and tons of money in 2010 to do that. We're pretty young too. I rather have extra cap space in 2010 then Vince Carter, Zach Zandolph or some other washed up over hyped player. If we weren't winning that's one thing, but now that we are we should just let the contract expire and look to the future.

mrblisterdundee
11-18-2008, 04:38 PM
You let contracts expire for room to buy other players. If you can trade an expiring contract for a player you wanted in the first place, that is why you trade it. If you can buy the player on the free market for a lesser yearly price tag than their current salary, then you let the contract expire and then go after that other palyer as a free agent.
It's like paying off your car if you know that an economic downturn is going to lower the price of another car you will buy in the future. You keep driving what you have now, until the other car's prive has taken a hit.

NYKnickFanatic
11-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Uhm, Cavs Forum??

LeBrowns
11-18-2008, 05:29 PM
The cavs need a bigman bad. JJ Hickson will be a stud but he's not ready to take over the load downlow. We also have no pure offensive front court threat.

sp1derm00
11-18-2008, 05:48 PM
As good as the Cavs are right now, giving them VC would put them right into the mix with the Celtics and the Lakers... if they aren't right there with them right now... which means VC should put them over the top.

I don't think they should just let Wally's contract expire.

IndyRealist
11-18-2008, 06:34 PM
As good as the Cavs are right now, giving them VC would put them right into the mix with the Celtics and the Lakers... if they aren't right there with them right now... which means VC should put them over the top.

I don't think they should just let Wally's contract expire.

Have to agree, I honestly think the Cavs believe they have to win a championship in the next two years to retain Lebron. Why else would they have traded for Ben Wallace? That means that they can't just wait for 2010 to happen, they need to acquire assets NOW and make a push, get a championship, and then they can turn around and trade Carter's expiring contract (or whoever) for younger pieces or draft picks and make yet another push for a championship. That strategy could probably carry them through 2020 or so.

Lakers4ItAll
11-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Cavs are not on the same level as Lakers/Celtics IMO

LeBrowns
11-18-2008, 11:21 PM
Have to agree, I honestly think the Cavs believe they have to win a championship in the next two years to retain Lebron. Why else would they have traded for Ben Wallace? That means that they can't just wait for 2010 to happen, they need to acquire assets NOW and make a push, get a championship, and then they can turn around and trade Carter's expiring contract (or whoever) for younger pieces or draft picks and make yet another push for a championship. That strategy could probably carry them through 2020 or so.

Because Ben Wallace>Larry Hughes

Both come off the books at the same time.

LeBrowns
11-18-2008, 11:22 PM

shhhhocker

philab
11-18-2008, 11:31 PM
I'd pull the trigger if the deal is Wally+ for Kirilenko.

The Cavaliers sort of need to trade Wally if they think it will make them better. Of course, whoever they would pick up will have a multiyear contract with lots of money remaining. Still, the Cavaliers are in "win now" mode. I know they have LeBron for next year, too, but contract negotations/issues can affect a team's performance. Plus, there's always the option of trading LeBron if it looks like he won't come back.

Kiss Ma Grits
11-18-2008, 11:41 PM

I don't think the Lakers are on the same level as Cleveland and Boston but hey I actually watched the finals. EVERYONE would agree that Cleveland matches up better with Boston then the Lakers do. You guys keep talkin' about what could of happen and how this game could have gone this or that way but the truth is it didn't. Cleveland gave Boston it's biggest scare while the Lakers weren't even as tough against the Celtics as the Hawks. The Hawks competed better against the Celtics then the Lakers did.

Also, if you look at the last three years, Cleveland has had more playoff wins then the Lakers (with the exception of last year because we played the Celtics sooner then you guys did). So you tell me who's the real illusional one?:eyebrow:

cmstophe
11-18-2008, 11:52 PM
Why even bother arguing with a Lakers fan? They believe two things:

1) Kobe is the greatest player in any sport, ever
2) Lakers are the greatest team ever

Even after a buttwhooping by Boston, they're as arrogant as ever. I don't know why. I like the Lakers as a team. Their fanbase, however, is annoying.

BTW the Cavs are the only team in the East that could beat the Celtics in a 7 game series. Most people will agree. Even at 9-2 a lot of people underrate the Cavaliers. I'm not sure they are better than Detroit yet. Tomorrow, if they lose, won't tell us because they're on a road back to back. But it will certainly give us all a gauge.

Kiss Ma Grits
11-19-2008, 12:01 AM
Why even bother arguing with a Lakers fan? They believe two things:

1) Kobe is the greatest player in any sport, ever
2) Lakers are the greatest team ever

Even after a buttwhooping by Boston, they're as arrogant as ever. I don't know why. I like the Lakers as a team. Their fanbase, however, is annoying.

BTW the Cavs are the only team in the East that could beat the Celtics in a 7 game series. Most people will agree. Even at 9-2 a lot of people underrate the Cavaliers. I'm not sure they are better than Detroit yet. Tomorrow, if they lose, won't tell us because they're on a road back to back. But it will certainly give us all a gauge.

Yeah 2morrow is a key game for Cleveland but I think if the reserves can keep the game close allowing the starters to get rest in the first half that we can wear the Pistons down. That's kind of been our M.O. this season: Keep the game close, rest the starters then BANG! In the second half we turn it up a notch. That's esspecially been the case in the fourth quarter.

cmstophe
11-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Tomorrow is a very good team though...it will be a good test for you guys.

Kiss Ma Grits
11-19-2008, 12:13 AM
Yeah it's going to be a good game. All I ask is that we keep it close by the end of the third. Ben Wallace is the x factor. He's been a monster for us and he's part of the reason why we're on an 8 game winning streak. He's not worth his contract but he's more then serviceable.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
11-19-2008, 12:15 AM
I think the Cavaliers will continue to improve by trading Wally at some point. It's not really that key to let his contract expire. We would be better off trading him for a expiring contract in 2010 like LeBron.