PDA

View Full Version : Karl disses AI after he leaves

CrowninMe
11-18-2008, 03:28 PM
What a douche. Why do coaches always do this? How do you not consider AI a playmaker? Come on now.

http://hoopsoup.com/2008/11/18/george-karl-taking-shots-at-ai/

cubulls
11-18-2008, 03:47 PM
He's only saying that **** because they are winning.

sportsnutzz
11-18-2008, 03:53 PM
What a douche. Why do coaches always do this? How do you not consider AI a playmaker? Come on now.

He is an amazing playmaker! I have seen him set up thousands of plays for himself. :clap: He is completely a "me first" player.

If I was Karl I would have been tired of coaching him also.

S.J.Basketball
11-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Everyones being too sensitive. I think he's using the term in a way to describe a floor leader for the Nuggets that will provide stability. Iverson...on the Nuggets at least...was a guy who can remember to make great plays, but forget to lead his team to victory.

Nugget Tony
11-18-2008, 04:03 PM

Alot of us Nuggs fan have had our issues with Karl.....Come over to the forum sometime.....but in this case he is absolutely correct....

The AI experiment was great while it lasted.....AI is a great player.....A great ME 1st player.....and we grew tired of our Gym Ball experiment.....

It is like night and day watching the Nuggs since AI got shipped and CB came back to town.....So GK is correct.....We still make a few bone head shots at times......but those have def dwindled....and our D has been amazing......

AI is and always will be who he is......but after just 5 games as a Nuggs fan.....I can see why Detroit has been to and won the NBA finals.....

Billups is what AI was not.....a true TEAM 1st playmaking leader......

mrblisterdundee
11-18-2008, 04:27 PM
George Karl isn't that good of a coach, so his comments don't carry much weight.

Lakersfan2483
11-18-2008, 04:28 PM
I think George Karl should have kept his comments to himself, there is no need to blast his former players. Iverson deserves more respect and if anything, Karl's coaching over the last couple of yrs. should be the topic of discussion.

Duncan = Donkey
11-18-2008, 07:21 PM
George Karl isn't that good of a coach, so his comments don't carry much weight.

how would u know??? you have never had him as a coach

hyp21
11-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Isn't Karl Known for doing this though? I coulda sworn he done the same thing to the glove when he left town and a few others

SensandRaps
11-18-2008, 07:26 PM
karl honestly needs to be quite if they were losing right now he would be praising AI

Nighthawk
11-18-2008, 07:27 PM

Well if his words are anything like his waist, your comments are laughable :D

Hawkeye15
11-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Karl pulls this crap all the time. At least he waited until AI was out of town to do it. He used to call out Big Dog, Ray Allen, and Sam Cassell right after a game

BTownTeamsRKing
11-18-2008, 07:31 PM
not for this time this guy blames the losses on someone else.

sure AI isnt a great team player, but u dont go and publicly insult him. He did this to Pierce on team USA. and its only a matter of time before he blames Melo.

he will blame the whole organization before he blames himself.

cubulls
11-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Like father like son...crappy coach, crappy player.

barreleffact
11-18-2008, 07:45 PM
he didnt diss AI IMO. he stated fact. all he said was AI forced shots at times and Billups is an actual point guard. What is wrong with stateing the truth here? AI does play better off the ball, AI didnt trust his teammates(i guess. i wouldnt know, but hed know better than I), all in all he didnt say AI is bad. He just praised Billups for filling his need for an actual pass first player. AI has the 3rd highest scoring average ever....you dont get that by being pass 1st

dre1990
11-18-2008, 07:46 PM
stupid thing to say though its true

SUNDUNDIDIT
11-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Please....The blogger or whoever, is blowing it outta proportion.....Karl was talkin not only about Iverson, but the whole nuggets team as awhole in the past....Karl and Iverson got a long well when they were together....I'm pretty sure Karl didn't have the intention of throwing a diss to A.I., but he was being a realist on the difficulties are team faced...And it's to his and lots of Nuggets fans expectations, that we can be better or as good as any team in the N.B.A!!! On paper we are one of the most talented,elite teams, but haven't shown it to prove critics wrong... But it's slowly but surely trying to manifest itself in reality....Being 5-1 since Billups came, and one of them wins being against Boston in Boston is really bringing enthusiasm to someone like Karl, which in turn provokes him to speak such things as emphasized in that blog.

Sixerlover
11-18-2008, 07:59 PM
I'll have to read the full story before i make any judgement on it.

This could all be blown out of proportion.

Hawkeye15
11-18-2008, 08:00 PM
I have always thought Karl was kind of arrogant, but I didn't read what he said. I do think that Billups is more of a true point guard, and much better at facilitating the offense. Iverson can score in bunches, and is harder to keep away from the rim, but Billups is what they needed in their current situation. Iverson will help Detroit, but they got him for that $$$ coming off the books. I am actually surprised Denver didn't just let him expire. Iverson still has good basketball in him

Tony_Starks
11-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Karls is a *******, famous for throwing players under the bus when he loses. It was JR Smith's fault a couple years ago. Then he did it to KMart after that. Back in the day the same with GP. Same with the Big Dog in Milw.

I'm just glad he's still in the West so hopefully my Lakers will have the pleasure of again beating his smug, Kobehater a.s.s!

ARMIN12NBA
11-18-2008, 09:56 PM
I don't think he should have said those things to the media, but I sure do agree with many of his points.

IversonIsKrazy
11-18-2008, 10:40 PM
AI is better than Chauncey overall. AI is one of the greatest to play. The greatest player pound-from-pound all-time. AI's natural position is a SG not a PG, so u cant expect him to b as good as doing the jobs a point should. What George Karl said, i have a feeling, it will bite him back when nugz lose again in the first round and AI advances to ECF. Lets c wut AI Says abt this though.

DenButsu
11-20-2008, 01:34 PM

What a load of crap.

This is nothing but media hype, much ado about nothing.

Read AI's blog, people. There's no dis. (http://www.alleniverson.pro/#/blog/21)

JJ81
11-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Cancer.

gcoll
11-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Douche bag thing of Karl to do, however...he's right.

DreamShaker
11-20-2008, 06:44 PM
In the blog link Den posted it stated many times "AI was not brought to Denver to be a point guard" so of course when they have a real point guard they are gonna have more fluid plays...no fault or blame of Iverson....

DenButsu
11-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Karl never, EVER had anything but great praise for Iverson from the very moment he joined the Nuggets. I think everybody in Denver, including perhaps Karl and some others in the organization, were bracing themselves for the "thug/no practice" guy. In GK's first public comments that I can remember about AI, the first thing he had to say was something along the lines of, "All these stories you hear, I haven't seen any of that stuff. He's busting his ***, he's a great leader on the team, he gives it everything he's got at all times, he's supportive of his teammates and great in the locker room." And on and on and on.

And it only went uphill from there.

Let me make this real simple for all of you:

Anybody who thinks that Karl was dissing Iverson in these comments has no clue how badly they were taken out of context, and also has no clue how much Karl loved and adored AI and his game during the time he was in Denver. He had a total mancrush on him. So if you want to take one comment out of context for the entertainment value of the drama, well I guess you can, but you really don't know what you're talking about.

Again, read AI's blog. He doesn't have a bit of a problem with Karl, and he doesn't feel that Karl was dissing him in any way. So why should you?

IBleedPurple
11-20-2008, 11:00 PM
Alot of us Nuggs fan have had our issues with Karl.....Come over to the forum sometime.....but in this case he is absolutely correct....

The AI experiment was great while it lasted.....AI is a great player.....A great ME 1st player.....and we grew tired of our Gym Ball experiment.....

It is like night and day watching the Nuggs since AI got shipped and CB came back to town.....So GK is correct.....We still make a few bone head shots at times......but those have def dwindled....and our D has been amazing......

AI is and always will be who he is......but after just 5 games as a Nuggs fan.....I can see why Detroit has been to and won the NBA finals.....

Billups is what AI was not.....a true TEAM 1st playmaking leader......

:clap:

If anyone watched a lot of Nuggets games, they would agree that Karl is correct. He isn't dissing AI, he is dissing the old makeup of the team. We didn't use to have one offensive team-first player on the court. AI has a difficult time fitting in on any team. He is a shooting guard in a point guards body, a selfish offensive player, a bad defender, and changes the way a team plays offense. You need a tall PG who can play D, and we did not have that. AI is a HOF player, and the best small guy ever IMO, but he just doesn't fit the traditional setup of a basketball team.

Not like he said that AI is a bum and he is mad that he came to Denver in the first place. He worked hard while he was here, and had absolutely no issues with the team.

Writing articles with misleading headlines such as this is how you get hits on a website. If you are a writer, it is your job to have readers. Read between the lines.....

LD V2.0
11-21-2008, 12:00 AM

Maybe because he's averaging 22 shots per game for his career?

Kaptain Kanada
11-21-2008, 12:25 AM
I always get a laugh out of these kind of posts, people ripping on coaches, players, or even GM's for saying something off the cuff that not everyone is going to agree with. I for one actually love a person that isn't afraid to say what they think. I get so tired of everyone in sports giving the same old standard lines about how great of a contributor a player was, or how they need to give 100%....blah blah blah.

If people just want to hear the same old nicey nicey **** all the time, why bother putting a microphone in front of someones face and ask a question.

But on the flip side, how can you blame a player or coach for being as exciting as wet cardboard when anytime they speak freely they have the whole line up at PSD coming down on them for opening their mouths.

Let the people speak!!

Raidaz4Life
11-21-2008, 09:32 AM
I like it, he was just being honest and it was apparent to him AI really didn't help the team with his play.

DenButsu
11-21-2008, 09:38 AM
I like it, he was just being honest and it was apparent to him AI really didn't help the team with his play.

Agree with the first part, totally disagree with the bold. Karl loved AI's game for the Nuggets. But what he's saying is that that game wasn't the game of a true pass-first, playmaking point guard because AI's not a point guard.

It's not in any way a criticism of AI's game. It's just pointing out that AI's game, what he brought (scoring) was different than Chauncey's.

SATX_2K7
11-21-2008, 11:22 AM
I hope fat Karl chokes on a ham sandwich and croaks!

Big R
11-21-2008, 12:00 PM
you trade for a 4 time scoring champion and then your shocked when hes a shoot first player? if you wanted steve nash then you should of traded for steve nash and last time i checked AI wasnt the only one on that team with a shoot first mentality

MooseWithFleas
11-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Karl is still pissed after AI bounced him from the playoffs in 01

NYMetros
11-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Pretty stupid thing for Karl to say. AI is definitely a playmaker, to say he's not is just pure BS.

DenButsu
11-21-2008, 12:12 PM
I hope fat Karl chokes on a ham sandwich and croaks!

Karl is still pissed after AI bounced him from the playoffs in 01

Why don't you try reading more than the thread title and the top post? The so-called "story" is a non-story, just non-critical remarks taken COMPLETELY out of context.

Never thought I'd find myself defending Karl so much. He deserves a lot of criticism, but not for this one.