PDA

View Full Version : Peavy list narrowed down to one team-The Cubs

Soto>Norris
11-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Towers on the Jake Peavy trade talks: “It's really come down to one club now – the Cubs,” he said. “It's going to take awhile. They have a couple of players to pick from that we are interested in but anything with them is going to potentially involve a third team or fourth team. We're focusing only on them.”

Towers said his conversations with the Yankees “were not substantial” and that he told Yankees GM Brian Cashman “until I get the go-ahead from Jake, I'm not going to” explore trade options with Cashman.

-Source
http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2008/nov/17/padres-kouz-surgery/?padres[/QUOTE]

Your thoughts?

Zaunnie
11-17-2008, 11:31 PM
what idiots, towers would end up getting a better package from the braves

Kinsm
11-17-2008, 11:33 PM
I think it's horsesh**, he's more than likely had ongoing talks with a number of teams. If he ever gets the offer he's looking for then he'll go back to Peavy. Or he has already decided he'll keep him untill a better offer comes along. MLB GM's are never open about the going ons of their business, it's just posturing.

phlp_bj
11-17-2008, 11:42 PM
whoooooooo peavy to cubs possibly

big z
peavy
harden
dempster(maybe)
lilly

pretty dam good

Soto>Norris
11-17-2008, 11:44 PM

big z
peavy
harden
dempster(maybe)
lilly

pretty dam good

Hey, worst comes to worst we might be able to replace Dempster with Randy Johnson, because they might not be able to afford his contract, but id take Randy either way.

Havoc Wreaker
11-17-2008, 11:47 PM
That is gonne be one SICK 1-2-3 Punch

CubbieSteve
11-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Have to find a third team or I'm afraid there will be no deal.

DewsSox79
11-17-2008, 11:50 PM
wont happen. write that down.

phlp_bj
11-17-2008, 11:50 PM
Hey, worst comes to worst we might be able to replace Dempster with Randy Johnson, because they might not be able to afford his contract, but id take Randy either way.

ill be happy with randy as well

DewsSox79
11-17-2008, 11:52 PM
it is just like the brian roberts talk all offseason with the cubs last year. They do not have enough talent to land peavy. The braves have better talent. Towers will not deal him just to deal him to get crap from the cubs. braves or yankees, and it will not happen until CC is signed by someone.

Soto>Norris
11-17-2008, 11:53 PM
We'll see what happens, I just keep thinking back to what almost happened to the Braves with Peavy, hopefully this ends different. Seems pretty likely to happen if CC signs with the Yanks.

DewsSox79
11-17-2008, 11:55 PM
We'll see what happens, I just keep thinking back to what almost happened to the Braves with Peavy, hopefully this ends different.

Im not trying to rip your talent just so you know, im just giving my opinion. it is what it is and im sure you as a cub fan know that. :)

CubbieSteve
11-17-2008, 11:55 PM
it is just like the brian roberts talk all offseason with the cubs last year. They do not have enough talent to land peavy. The braves have better talent. Towers will not deal him just to deal him to get crap from the cubs. braves or yankees, and it will not happen until CC is signed by someone.

Yeah but the Braves have dropped out of trade talks. Towers has said it'll take a 3 way trade for it to work. If the Cubs and Pads can find a 3rd team, I think it can work.

DewsSox79
11-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Yeah but the Braves have dropped out of trade talks. Towers has said it'll take a 3 way trade for it to work. If the Cubs and Pads can find a 3rd team, I think it can work.

Before all said and done you probably will wake up tomorrow and the braves are back as the lead dogs.

it is all a game with towers. he is trying to get another team and the braves to take the cubs talk very serious. im sure he wants the braves prospects more.

DewsSox79
11-18-2008, 12:00 AM

also cubbie steve your avatar might have to change because he isnt 100 percent gone yet....wood could end up back.

Soto>Norris
11-18-2008, 12:01 AM
Im not trying to rip your talent just so you know, im just giving my opinion. it is what it is and im sure you as a cub fan know that. :)

Ya tell me about it... I think its gonna take a little while to happen for two reason: CC needs to sign, and they need a third team willing to give up prospects to the Pads, and the Cubs need to give them something in return, might even need 4 teams for a deal...should be tough

CubbieSteve
11-18-2008, 12:01 AM
Before all said and done you probably will wake up tomorrow and the braves are back as the lead dogs.

it is all a game with towers. he is trying to get another team and the braves to take the cubs talk very serious. im sure he wants the braves prospects more.

Well I thought he was dumb for not taking the Braves offer. Clearly the Braves got frustrated and moved on to focus on free agent SP's.

I don't think they'll get back in on the trade unless it drags out long and they've already missed out on some guys like Lowe, Burnett, Dempster, etc.

redbird89
11-18-2008, 12:03 AM
I hope the Padres get everything of value from the Cubs that they can.

DewsSox79
11-18-2008, 12:05 AM
Well I thought he was dumb for not taking the Braves offer. Clearly the Braves got frustrated and moved on to focus on free agent SP's.

I don't think they'll get back in on it unless it drags on and they've already missed out on some guys like Lowe, Burnett, Dempster, etc.

well after the last 2 years of being swept......they should just give up the farm and get him. the best cub team i have seen in my lifetime last year and who i thought should win it all, if they get peavy and get a left handed bat they have to get to the WS.

DewsSox79
11-18-2008, 12:06 AM
I hope the Padres get everything of value from the Cubs that they can.

if the padres do....and the cubs dont win it all next year. the cubs are in some trouble with those backloaded contracts

gocubs2118
11-18-2008, 12:07 AM
well after the last 2 years of being swept......they should just give up the farm and get him. the best cub team i have seen in my lifetime last year and who i thought should win it all, if they get peavy and get a left handed bat they have to get to the WS.

Yes because the teams that have the best record in the regular season always win the world series...

Soto>Norris
11-18-2008, 12:15 AM

162 games of solid play dont mean **** when you get to the postseason. All it takes is 3 ****** games played to wipe out 162 games of solid ball, as proved by the Cubs last year.

CaptainCool79
11-18-2008, 12:21 AM
love it, cant wait for him to leave the NL West haha

ThisIsTheYear
11-18-2008, 12:23 AM
And the Cubs will still fail to win a WS.

DewsSox79
11-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Yes because the teams that have the best record in the regular season always win the world series...

im not saying that just from last year but if they are the best team in the NL year in and year out they should win a WS soon.

Soto>Norris
11-18-2008, 12:29 AM
^^This is the first year in recent memory that we were the best in the NL

jaycruz92
11-18-2008, 12:31 AM
someone get that sox fan out of this thread, you dont see any cubs fans going and raining on your parade.

PhilOfTheFuture
11-18-2008, 12:43 AM
And the Cubs will still fail to win a WS.

They should hope to win a playoff game or to at least get out of the first round... This will make them the favorites again and every ESPN analyst will pick them to win AGAIN and then they will be a big let down AGAIN. This team had the pitching and hitting last year but they screwed themselves over with really ****** defense in the post season. All the cubs need to do is play more focused when it matters the most and they will be fine... No reason to deplete your farm system when you already have a great 1-2 punch and a pretty good 1-2-3-4 Rotation.

Soto>Norris
11-18-2008, 12:50 AM
They should hope to win a playoff game or to at least get out of the first round... This will make them the favorites again and every ESPN analyst will pick them to win AGAIN and then they will be a big let down AGAIN. This team had the pitching and hitting last year but they screwed themselves over with really ****** defense in the post season. All the cubs need to do is play more focused when it matters the most and they will be fine... No reason to deplete your farm system when you already have a great 1-2 punch and a pretty good 1-2-3-4 Rotation.

Ya i guess Peavy Big Z Harden and Dempster/Randy J/ Lilly is Pretty good. R u kidding me they will easily be the best rotation in baseball.

PhilOfTheFuture
11-18-2008, 01:16 AM
Ya i guess Peavy Big Z Harden and Dempster/Randy J/ Lilly is Pretty good. R u kidding me they will easily be the best rotation in baseball.

DO YOU READ? Right now without Peavy they have a great 1-2 and a good 1-2-3-4... Its really hard to have good starters 1-4... thats why I say a great 1-2 and a good 1-2-3-4. They had arguably the best rotation last year after they picked up harden and got swept in the playoffs. They have pitching and they have all the intangibles to win so why mortgage future prospects so add to what already is a strength?

PhilOfTheFuture
11-18-2008, 01:23 AM
This is why the Cubs cant win... Your farm system is to help build your team and not to help build others. Watch both Oakland and the padres win championships before the cubs do. When your teams greatest strength is pitching you don't prostitute your farm system to go out and add to it.

CubbieSteve
11-18-2008, 01:24 AM
DO YOU READ? Right now without Peavy they have a great 1-2 and a good 1-2-3-4... Its really hard to have good starters 1-4... thats why I say a great 1-2 and a good 1-2-3-4. They had arguably the best rotation last year after they picked up harden and got swept in the playoffs. They have pitching and they have all the intangibles to win so why mortgage future prospects so add to what already is a strength?

I guess from the way the Cubs are looking at it, whenever you have a chance to get an ace like Jake Peavy and further bolster an already great rotation, you might as well go for it.

Your right we prolly don't need him, but a rotation of Peavy, Harden, Z, Dempster and Lilly would be 90s Brave-esque.

But I still don't think it's even close. Gotta find a third team and those three team trades are hard to put together.

CubbieSteve
11-18-2008, 01:26 AM
This is why the Cubs cant win... Your farm system is to help build your team and not to help build others. Watch both Oakland and the padres win championships before the cubs do. When your teams greatest strength is pitching you don't prostitute your farm system to go out and add to it.

The Cubs can make up for the players lost with possible compensation picks they will be getting.

Howry is a type A (idk how), Wood is an A, and Dempster is a type A (if he doesn't resign we can get his picks). We could be looking at a lot of compensation draft picks to help build our system which would make it more acceptable to trade away present prospects.

Soto>Norris
11-18-2008, 01:27 AM

The Cubs arent honestly sacrificing too much if this happens, and why not pick up a Cy young pitcher if they wanna make a move in the playoffs NOW. I assume Hendry knows what he is doing more than you do. On the other hand, it seems that Towers doesnt :laugh:

johnnylee722
11-18-2008, 01:35 AM
Cubs would = dirtyville

That would be the best rotation in baseball.

Peavy-Zambrano-Harden-Lilly- Doesn't really matter

...dirty

CubbieSteve
11-18-2008, 01:37 AM
also cubbie steve your avatar might have to change because he isnt 100 percent gone yet....wood could end up back.

I don't think there is any chance of him coming back at all. The Cubs front office has already said that they will move on without him.

It's sad and it was a pathetic handling of the situation by the Cubs brass but he's going to be somewhere else next year.

nik.jd.aitken
11-18-2008, 01:38 AM
It's a shame he's going to go to the Cubs, I didn't want to see Peavy fall apart in the playoffs.

D Blue987
11-18-2008, 01:51 AM
I just dont see this deal getting done. Towers is asking for too much and he needs to realize, he isnt gonna get great value from teams in return. I only say this not because of the team involved (Cubs) but that he is stating that another team is needed to make the trade work. Like someone else already stated those sorts of deals are hard to work out. I have a feeling pretty soon we are gonna see some big deals in regards to trades and free agent signings. Its been rather quiet this off season other than the Holliday trade, and thats about it.

NorthsideJohn
11-18-2008, 01:54 AM
IF the Cubs get Peavy (and I hope they do) I doubt they will also sign Dempster unless he gives them a break on the years... Frankly I think Dempster had a career year and thats as good as it gets with him.... I would let him walk and take the 2 draft picks

PEAVY> dempster

Would love it if Woodie came back on a one year deal...

johnnylee722
11-18-2008, 02:13 AM
IF the Cubs get Peavy (and I hope they do) I doubt they will also sign Dempster unless he gives them a break on the years... Frankly I think Dempster had a career year and thats as good as it gets with him.... I would let him walk and take the 2 draft picks

PEAVY> dempster

Would love it if Woodie came back on a one year deal...

Peavy's better than Dempster? Thanks for the update :p

He's better than any pitcher in that division (NL Central).

METS4LIFE1988
11-18-2008, 02:16 AM
It's a shame he's going to go to the Cubs, I didn't want to see Peavy fall apart in the playoffs.

:laugh2:

PhilOfTheFuture
11-18-2008, 02:17 AM
Peavy's better than Dempster? Thanks for the update :p

He's better than any pitcher in that division (NL Central).

He is very good... but I think Atlanta got a break when the talks ended... Because the Braves probably would have givin up alot.

CubbieSteve
11-18-2008, 02:19 AM

I don't really get it. What is he implying?

That because he'd be on the Cubs that his team will lose in the playoffs? As a Padre his team was beat down two years in a row by the Cardinals in the NLDS.

DewsSox79
11-18-2008, 02:55 AM
someone get that sox fan out of this thread, you dont see any cubs fans going and raining on your parade.

Stop. I gave my opinion on the Peavy deal and i also praised your team as well. Do not be ignorant. :smoking:

zambo4president
11-18-2008, 03:17 AM

Atleast we dont fall apart the last month of the season and blow our division 2 years in a row.

A-TrainDopeMan
11-18-2008, 03:33 AM

big z
peavy
harden
dempster(maybe)
lilly

pretty dam good

Pretty damn good? I'd say freakishly good is more like it.

HipSlappyJoe
11-18-2008, 09:58 AM
peavey is good.... in a pitchers park. lets see how he does in the confines of Wrigley field.

bbcmillionaire
11-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Atleast we dont fall apart the last month of the season and blow our division 2 years in a row.

yeah its good to make it to the playoffs on our talent, and not wish one team wins, another 4 lose just so we can make the playoffs HAHAHA

HOZ THE KNICK
11-18-2008, 02:51 PM
im preaty sure he don't want to play for a cursed franchise

Soto>Norris
11-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Now that the Cubs have Signed Demp to a 4/52 mil. contract, how will this affect the trade situation?

chicagofan71
11-18-2008, 06:15 PM

I'm pretty sure you don't no you suck with grammar

northsider
11-18-2008, 06:41 PM

Valid point I am sure he said that exact statement.
You sir are a winner I don't care what anyone else says.:smoking:

Soto>Norris
11-18-2008, 06:49 PM

Yes because im sure the first thing that everyone thinks about when they are traded is weather they need their rabbit feet, or 4 leaf clover or not. Sry buddy, but isnt it Ironic that you like to rip on ****** franchises, while at the same time you are a Knicks fan? Ill give you credit for being as original as a bowl of soup though...:bang: