PDA

View Full Version : Teach Me About the Bruins!

Adalbjorg
11-17-2008, 11:14 PM
I'm trying to get into the NHL during the baseball offseason. My Dad's a Bruins fan and he's taking me to a few games this year. I just watched the Bruins win, but I don't live in New England so I don't get to see them play on a regular basis. For someone trying to get into the team, what are the basic things I should know about them?

Hockeyras
11-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Basic things you should know? Thats a good question lol. I would say try to familarize yourself with the players. Who they are, about how long they have been in the league, who they play with, what their strengths and weaknesses are.

Halladay
11-18-2008, 12:18 PM
I'll help ya but I'm not a B's fan. Zdeno Chara is the main man in Boston. Having the biggest player in the league on your blueline is huge not to mention he plays roughly 30 minutes a game. Tim Thomas (goaltender) is arguably the best goalie in the league right now but he's also on a hot streak to start this season so who really knows how long that'll last. He might be the most unusual goalie in the league, everything he does in the net looks akward and it appears he was shown absolutely no fundamentals growing up. Fun to watch, not how you'd teach your kid how to play net. Bergeron-a very gifted offensive forward who puts up points but because of a dirty hit last season, his career was put on hold. I don't know what he's doing this year because I simply haven't seen him enough. Phil Kessel is another gifted offensive forward who was drafted high 3 or 4 years ago and has had his struggles but this appears to be his breakout year. He always had elite speed but never had the hands, but this year the hands have appeared to catch up to his skating ability. Marc Savard is another gifted forward who's one of the best set-up men in the league. By far one of the best passers around, you ecpect a ton of assists from the guy year in year out. Milan Lucic is a young player who everyone loves. Kind of has that Cam Neely in him (if that name rings a bell). Lucic is becoming one of the most exciting players in the league to watch but not because he's fast or is gifted offensively, it's because he has a mean streak. Seems like everytime you see the guy he's crushing people with great hits or fighting someone. He also has some offensive upside. This guy is Captain material. That's the core of the Bruins unless I missed someone. The wild card on Boston is Michael Ryder. Ryder should be a 30 goals scorer every year but has struggled the last few seasons for no apparant reason. He has a great shot. That's the best assesment I can come up with but then again, I'm a Leafs fan not a Bruins fan.

abourne13
11-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Just a quick addition to the post above.

Ryder posted great stats in his first 2 years in the league with Montreal. His stats diminished in his 3rd year because he was in the dog house with the new Canadiens coach for no reason. The Bruins picked up Ryder because he has played for Claude Julien (Bruins coach) and they compliment each other. With Julien and Ryder back together, everyone is hoping for another 30+ goal season for Ryder. So far, Ryder has had only 2 goals, but it's still early in the season.

Hockeyras
11-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Just a quick addition to the post above.

Ryder posted great stats in his first 2 years in the league with Montreal. His stats diminished in his 3rd year because he was in the dog house with the new Canadiens coach for no reason. The Bruins picked up Ryder because he has played for Claude Julien (Bruins coach) and they compliment each other. With Julien and Ryder back together, everyone is hoping for another 30+ goal season for Ryder. So far, Ryder has had only 2 goals, but it's still early in the season.

I believe he has 3 now...but there is a bigger problem with Ryder's game...He doesn't go hard...He doesn't crash the net...there are not a lot of good things to Ryder's game. His goal against Toronto was a nice show of talent...but he only shows it in spurts...he needs to play harder more often and if he doesn't...I would consider him being a healthy scratch for a few games here coming up

abourne13
11-18-2008, 05:52 PM
I agree that he isn't crashing the net as hard as the other boys but I say we give it about 2 or 3 more weeks until we see the Ryder that we've been hoping for. He has to settle in with his team and linemates. Julien has to maybe challenge him on his physical game, but other then that I say we have to have a bit of patience with him. As long as we're still getting W's, he can take time to turn his game around.

captaintek33
11-18-2008, 08:54 PM
A few technical things to look for in the Bruins games. (Look out, Hockey 'Coach-speak' on the way!:))

The Bruins run a 'Box and 1' defense. That means that the wingers stay 'high', usually above the face off dots, and the defensemen stay 'low' (below the face off dots) in their defensive zone, in the shape of a square, or 'box'. As one player moves to 'challenge' the puck carrier on one side of the ice or the other, the other 3 members of the 'box' shift their positions, as well, maintaining the 'box' formation. The center is the '1', and he is free to roam, and support the defender who is challenging the puck carrier.

The beauty of the Bruins 'box and 1' defense is that is 'collapses', meaning that, as the puck gets closer to the net, the forwards drop down lower (or closer to the net) to help protect the area immediately in front of the net, called the 'slot'. The idea is that, if they can keep the other team from getting scoring opportunities from the 'slot' area, their goaltenders ought to be able to save a good percentage of shots from outside that area.

Another technical thing to look for in the Bruins' games is in the offensive zone. Julien's M.O. (and mine for the teams I coach) is to have the defenseman 'pinch in' along the boards while the other team is attempting to break the puck out of the zone. By doing this, you force the other team to do something with the puck that they don't want to do. If the winger gets the puck along the boards for a break out, and the closest defenseman to him backs off, he will have time to find an outlet pass to gain momentum into the neutral zone. By 'challenging' this forward, the defenseman often times will force that forward to just 'dump' the puck, and the B's will get it back. Sometimes, the D will even be able to take the puck away from the forward and keep it in the attacking zone.

This system is a bit risky, because it opens up the potential for break-aways for the other team, if the forward with the puck is able to make the pass to one of his teammates in the neutral zone. The way to combat that is for the 'weak side', or far, Bruins defenseman to slide over and back up his partner, and the weakside Bruins winger to backcheck through the neutral zone to get into position almost as a defenseman, and be there to back up that 'weak side' defenseman who moved over.

...Probably kind of hard to follow along just by reading it, but, if you're able to envision what I'm saying, look for it the next time you watch the Bruins. I guarantee you'll see these things going on.

Hawgs38
12-06-2008, 07:02 PM
I believe he has 3 now...but there is a bigger problem with Ryder's game...He doesn't go hard...He doesn't crash the net...there are not a lot of good things to Ryder's game. His goal against Toronto was a nice show of talent...but he only shows it in spurts...he needs to play harder more often and if he doesn't...I would consider him being a healthy scratch for a few games here coming up

Claude has found a niche for Ryder...He's now on one of the B's most exciting lines (Wheeler, Krejci, and Ryder)...The line has speed, a great forecheck and backcheck and it seems to have kick started Ryder's work ethic...His first game on the line was vs. the Isles the day after Thanksgiving he had 2G, 1A, had a GREAT brakup and send away pass on the 1st goal of the game vs. the Wings and has been going hard to the net...Krejci is the REAL DEAL as is Wheeler and I honestly think Ryder is buying into the B's blue collar style!!