PDA

View Full Version : Does CC Sabathia Even Want To Be a Yankee?

CarniifeX
11-17-2008, 07:49 PM
I was just thinking about this. Wouldn't CC have already accepted this offer if he wanted to be a Yankee? I mean, he has to know that nobody is going to top the Yankees offer. So does that mean he'll take a lot less to play on, perhaps a West Coast or NL team?

natepro
11-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Like the Angels maybe? :p

fightins89
11-17-2008, 07:51 PM
How would anybody here know? And just because he hasn't taken the money yet doesn't mean he doesn't want to be a Yankee. It's the first offer he's received. It's obvious that he wasn't going to accept it right away.

And he probably would take a little less to play on the West Coast, but not a lot less.

johnnylee722
11-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Kind of surprising that he doesn't want to stay in the NL

He just went nuts while he was there.

KiLLA RAiDER
11-17-2008, 08:00 PM
I think he waits till he has a couple offers on the table, they decide!

5+7=DYNASTY!!!
11-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Why would he accept so early when he can get so much more?

Run Gardner Run
11-17-2008, 08:01 PM
First off, him not taking the deal yet means absolutely nothing. He is waiting to hear from other teams first.

johnnylee722
11-17-2008, 08:02 PM
I think he waits till he has a couple offers on the table, they decide!

yeah... he is not going to sign right away.
That would just be crazy becuase he is top free agent pitcher.
He's going to wait a little bit...
maybe like next week.

thefens
11-17-2008, 08:06 PM

Actually, he would prefer staying in the NL and pitching closer to his West Coast home.

Everyone assumes that the Bombers will be the high bidders for the 28-year-old, with a seven- or eight-year proposal worth in excess of $20 million per year likely to come. Sabathia, however, is believed to prefer both the West Coast and the NL.

source: roto

Run Gardner Run
11-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Actually, he would prefer staying in the NL and pitching closer to his West Coast home.

source: roto

Sabathia also said he wants "Santana Money"

Towelie
11-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Wanna link to me that comment?

thefens
11-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Sabathia also said he wants "Santana Money"

well yeah i never said that he would turn down the yankees' offer, i think in the end it will be the highest offer by far, so it won't make a difference, in the end he'll take the money.

thefens
11-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Wanna link to me that comment?

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=MLB&columnid=2&&articleid=31545

Run Gardner Run
11-17-2008, 08:16 PM
well yeah i never said that he would turn down the yankees' offer, i think in the end it will be the highest offer by far, so it won't make a difference, in the end he'll take the money.

Not necessarily. I would say its 50/50 between the Yankees, and the West Coast

torontocubs
11-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Not at all 50/50. The man wants money, and no west coast or NL team will match what the Yankees will pay. Texeira would also like to play closer to home in Baltimore, but we all know he won't sign there.

The reason he hasn't signed there is that they are just going to try and push the Yanks to their limit. Him and his agent will try to force the Yankees to pay as much as possible by using the "west coast" idea as leverage. If 6 years 140 is what they are offering right now, than they will come back and say, you know we really want to be on the west coast, and the Yanks will up it the 150 range. Its a business boys, not a hobby.

lilboytwister99
11-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Ya know its funny yall mention this. I recall reading back before the end of the season that C.C. wanted to pitch for the SF Giants. I read it on here, in fact.

Being that the Giants totally threw away so much money on Barry Zito, I doubt they would be willing to offer C.C. the big bucks. Though I cant say for sure.

Sport
11-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Not at all 50/50. The man wants money, and no west coast or NL team will match what the Yankees will pay. Texeira would also like to play closer to home in Baltimore, but we all know he won't sign there.

The reason he hasn't signed there is that they are just going to try and push the Yanks to their limit. Him and his agent will try to force the Yankees to pay as much as possible by using the "west coast" idea as leverage. If 6 years 140 is what they are offering right now, than they will come back and say, you know we really want to be on the west coast, and the Yanks will up it the 150 range. Its a business boys, not a hobby.

That makes tons of sense to me.

If CC is not a Yankee or a Brewer, I will be shocked.

Sport
11-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Ya know its funny yall mention this. I recall reading back before the end of the season that C.C. wanted to pitch for the SF Giants. I read it on here, in fact.

Being that the Giants totally threw away so much money on Barry Zito, I doubt they would be willing to offer C.C. the big bucks. Though I cant say for sure.

The Giants arent even in the same ballpark as the other teams when it comes to signing CC.

Joe505
11-17-2008, 09:41 PM
He wants to be a Giant...I can feel it.

GiantYankKnicks
11-17-2008, 09:48 PM
He wants to be a Giant...I can feel it.

Maybe,But the Giants are unlikely to sign him because there locked into Zitos contract and have more pressing needs on offense

Joe505
11-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Maybe,But the Giants are unlikely to sign him because there locked into Zitos contract and have more pressing needs on offense

I have no life and went through the Giants contracts, they could actually pull it off while adding a bat and another reliever and have a payroll of 90-95mil. next year. That's about the payroll they had when Bonds was here.

N.Z's #1 Dodger
11-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Does he want to be a Yankee? Who knows, probably not.

Does it even matter anymore who a player WANTS to play for? I don't think so. Who recently has turned down a bigger contract elsewhere to play where they want to? Jake Peavy taking a discount to play in SD maybe.

GiantYankKnicks
11-17-2008, 10:02 PM
I have no life and went through the Giants contracts, they could actually pull it off while adding a bat and another reliever and have a payroll of 90-95mil. next year. That's about the payroll they had when Bonds was here.

I just dont see them adding another 100 million dollar pitcher,He will most likely take the money but if a team like LA comes close then he will go there.

steelSKINSNCUBS
11-17-2008, 10:37 PM
i did hear he said he wants to be in the NL where he can hit and either wants to be a Cub or on the west coast, NL preferably

asufan55
11-17-2008, 10:41 PM
well the yankees are going to offer him the most money, but CC wants to stay in the NL because he likes to hit

Joe505
11-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Leading me to believe that CC will be a Giant when the Season rolls around.

bagwell368
11-17-2008, 10:52 PM
I feel Hank thinking like George Costanza...

"I'm so turned on by someone who doesn't want to be with me.."

Har har, overpay...

"fat, dumb, and stupid is no way to go through life son" - Dean Wormer

ThisIsTheYear
11-17-2008, 10:52 PM

Sabathia-Lincecum-Cain

That is filthy.

asufan55
11-17-2008, 10:55 PM

ya i think he will eventually end up with the giants

steelSKINSNCUBS
11-17-2008, 11:02 PM
Sabathia-Lincecum-Cain

That is filthy.

imagine if zito found himself again??? hahaha

NYMNYRNYJNYK
11-17-2008, 11:13 PM
the giants!?! he has the chance to go to a big market team like New York or Los Angeles, but the giants!? give me a break!! i think he will go to the angels, on condition that he plays DH on his off days.

ritz
11-17-2008, 11:16 PM
I love all the speculation in this thread.

CarniifeX
11-18-2008, 12:50 AM

He can't get more. I highly doubt anyone will offer more.

First off, him not taking the deal yet means absolutely nothing. He is waiting to hear from other teams first.

Well if it was about the money, he'd take the Yankees deal.

nik.jd.aitken
11-18-2008, 01:03 AM
Like the Angels maybe? :p

In your dreams.

DodgerBlue2008
11-18-2008, 01:05 AM
I was just thinking about this. Wouldn't CC have already accepted this offer if he wanted to be a Yankee? I mean, he has to know that nobody is going to top the Yankees offer. So does that mean he'll take a lot less to play on, perhaps a West Coast or NL team?

I think it's going to come down to the Dodgers (west coast NL team) and Yankees (money). The Giants would be in it too, but I don't think they have enough resources to really try (especially with Zito). If the Dodgers come even somewhat close to that offer, I think the chances of him going to LA are pretty good.

Twinke Masta
11-18-2008, 01:31 AM
dolla dolla bill yall

SouljahPhil...
11-18-2008, 01:32 AM
He can't get more. I highly doubt anyone will offer more.

Well if it was about the money, he'd take the Yankees deal.

I think the reason why CC still didn't accept the yanks offer is he is waiting for the offer from an NL or west coast team if the offer is near the yanks offer he can threaten or say to the yanks he will not sign with them unless they add a year or more money...Because I think if the difference is so small he will choose the west coast team but knowing the Hank he will do all he can so that CC signs with us..(eventhough I think that will suck if we add more money or years..)

Rique
11-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Every1 has their preferences but $ is all that matters at the end of the day

CBON9
11-18-2008, 12:09 PM

So much more? How much more do you think someone is going to give him? I cannot see anyone topping the Yankees offer, and in the event that does happen, I can see us making a counter-offer.

If someone does come close to the offer and its a west coast team (ie: Angels), he could quite possibly go there.

My gut tells me that he will be wearing pinstripes next year.

JonnyBrav000
11-18-2008, 12:42 PM
More than likely he will sign with someone by the end of next week, I'm sure he would take a little less to sign with an NL or West Coast team that is a potential playoff team, but the money has to match up to the highest offer thrown at him, in the end money is the biggest deciding factor, does anyone else see an NL or West Coast team throwing Santanna Money at him?

littleknighty
11-18-2008, 12:45 PM
With Furcal and Lowe coming off the books and andrew next year. I see the dodgers getting cc. Cant blame a man for wanting to be close to home and if he enjoys hitting that much might as well have as much fun as possible at work.

#27in2007
11-18-2008, 01:21 PM
he may not have the yankees as his first choice, but the second that they give him the tour of the new stadium, and walk him through monument park and the history... then show him the biggest check of his life.... well, maybe that moment he realizes that man, i do want to be a yankee.... and for those saying that he wants to be a Giant... well maybe you are right, because CC has been so terrible in the playoffs that he knows if he goes to the Giants he won't have to worry about playing in any.....

Jdawg2372
11-18-2008, 01:56 PM
he may not have the yankees as his first choice, but the second that they give him the tour of the new stadium, and walk him through monument park and the history... then show him the biggest check of his life.... well, maybe that moment he realizes that man, i do want to be a yankee.... and for those saying that he wants to be a Giant... well maybe you are right, because CC has been so terrible in the playoffs that he knows if he goes to the Giants he won't have to worry about playing in any.....

good call about the giants and the playoffs lol...seriously though, everyones getting impatient with CC for no reason...he is just trying to play the field and see which teams offer him what...who knows maybe another team will match or beat the yankees offer (though HIGHLY unlikely) or maybe he will surprise us and go with the lesser offer...but in the end I believe he will sign with the yankees and be in a rotation with wang, burnett, joba and either andy or (gulp) hughes

zambo4president
11-18-2008, 02:12 PM
It doesn`t even matter if he wants to be a Yankee. Money talks.

Madtown343
11-18-2008, 02:41 PM
If the Brewers up their offer to 110 - 5 or even 115 - 5 does that make Milw a possible destination. I mean 5 years would make him still eligiable for another good contract then.

Dark Donnie
11-18-2008, 02:47 PM

I know people are gonna ***** about a source but didn't CC say he did want to stay in the NL because he loved to hit. I know I read/heard that somewhere.:eyebrow:

HOZ THE KNICK
11-18-2008, 02:49 PM
in a couple of weeks we will see

Gunzito22
11-18-2008, 03:00 PM
A possibility here is that maybe.... just maybe.... if the Dodgers or Giants offer him the sae money for 5 years (5/120) or even a 6/130 he might be inclined to sign there... a smaller market where he might be more comfortable...

but I think that if what they say is truei and the Union wants CC to take the highest bid, they might be waiting it out to see if a dark horse comes out and offers him another 3M or something...

all speculation, but someone should have A-Rod and Damon call CC and tell him how much NYY rocks as well...

Bo Sox Fan
11-18-2008, 03:21 PM
It is obvious he is just letting the Yankees set the price for now, he is just waiting for a team he would like to play for match the offer, such as the Dodgers, Mets, Giants or Angels. You won't see C.C. sign any deal until the Manny and Texeira deals are done. Which ever Los Angeles team or both that misses out on resigning there big hitters you can bet will take a big stab at aquiring the big man, and will more than likely land him. He will definately take a paycut of 3 - 5 million a year to play in L.A. cause after it's just pockett change when you look at the whole picture... Sorry Yankees fans

tomno00
11-18-2008, 03:23 PM
hmmm no wonder it costs over a $100 to see a yankees game these days...

tonercharmer
11-18-2008, 09:22 PM
all speculation, but someone should have A-Rod and Damon call CC and tell him how much NYY rocks as well...

i think he has gone on road trips to new york that is why he wants to be in L.A!

Sport
11-18-2008, 09:28 PM

i think he has gone on road trips to new york that is why he wants to be in L.A!

Like anyone is going to listen to that douchebag Johnny Damon.

Apophis
11-19-2008, 02:14 AM
well the yankees are going to offer him the most money, but CC wants to stay in the NL because he likes to hit

I dont know how true this is.. but one of my co-workers just told me the Yankees are willing to allow CC to hit if he wants to..

PhilPhranchise
11-19-2008, 09:38 AM

???? care to tell me from WHO?? no one is going to come close to the bid the Yankees made.

PhilPhranchise
11-19-2008, 09:39 AM
It is obvious he is just letting the Yankees set the price for now, he is just waiting for a team he would like to play for match the offer, such as the Dodgers, Mets, Giants or Angels. You won't see C.C. sign any deal until the Manny and Texeira deals are done. Which ever Los Angeles team or both that misses out on resigning there big hitters you can bet will take a big stab at aquiring the big man, and will more than likely land him. He will definately take a paycut of 3 - 5 million a year to play in L.A. cause after it's just pockett change when you look at the whole picture... Sorry Yankees fans

CC will sign before Teixiera or Manny or do you not realize who their agents are?

hotpotato1092
11-19-2008, 10:44 AM
If the Brewers are willing to up their offer to 6 x 120, I'm guessing he'd take it because he loves the brewers and wants to hit. I doubt they'll do it but I think that could get him. I think he'd also love being the guy who changed the game by going with passion instead of money, who didn't just take the cash and run. However if the brewers upped their offer to 6 x 120, I'm guessing the yankees would call and say 8 x 175. People say the union would pressure him, but do you really think it would have that big of an effect on him? I think he's gonna do what he wants no matter what others say. Do I think he takes the money in the end? Yes, but does him waiting mean he's at least considering a return to Milwaukee? Definately.

Tone091
11-19-2008, 10:45 AM
I love the fact of letting your 140,000,000 superstar pitcher to hit, that sounds like something my Orioles would do, I fully encourage it. All joking aside, why would he go to the Yankees with ARod still there, we all know as long as ARod's around the Bus stops at the first round of the playoffs, AND he's a west coast kid, I just don't see it happening.

bleedpinstripes
11-19-2008, 12:17 PM
I love the fact of letting your 140,000,000 superstar pitcher to hit, that sounds like something my Orioles would do, I fully encourage it. All joking aside, why would he go to the Yankees with ARod still there, we all know as long as ARod's around the Bus stops at the first round of the playoffs, AND he's a west coast kid, I just don't see it happening.

:rolleyes:

Uncle Funster
11-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Money talks. he can live where ever he wants, but his paycheck will have an NY logo on it. $140M is an initial offer and CC's people will get more before it is all done.

showtym24
11-19-2008, 04:42 PM
Please put on the dodger blue CC.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/11/grazianos-lates.html

Gibby23
11-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Please put on the dodger blue CC.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/11/grazianos-lates.html

All that is saying is he wants an offer from LA so he will get a bigger offer from the Yanks.