PDA

View Full Version : Almond over Miles?

kurtismurray
11-17-2008, 07:29 PM
CJ Miles has been struggling to say the least the first month and a half or so of the season. CJ Miles has been given his chance to start at SF but I think shouldn't keep it. I believe the Jazz after a 1-4 pathetic, disgruntled, cluth-blowing road trip should start Morris Almond. Almond has shown improvement in his overall game according to Sloan and assistant coach Ty Corbin. Morris Almond can obviously shoot and give the Jazz a boost offensively, which is what I think the Jazz are struggling with. The Jazz' defense surprisingly isn't too bad but they seem to not be able to score against zones/tough defensive teams. Morris Almond can provide this. Thoughts?

futureman
11-17-2008, 07:36 PM
As long as AK doesn't have to come off the bench I don't care what they do. As for almond, he's gone as soon as the jazz find a taker for him.

Fans in Asia
11-17-2008, 09:09 PM
How about experimenting Korver in the starting line-up, and AK and Harpring will come out of the bench?

We have given enough time for CJ and he (so far) did not impress us, and Almond is already not in the Plan for the Jazz Blueprint.

The few mins played by Almond is simply because we are four men down...

Another Jazz Fans in Asia
http://jazzfansinasia.blogspot.com

AirJordanXVIII
11-17-2008, 10:38 PM
We'll give you guys Willie Green for Almond :D

THE_FLASH_21
11-18-2008, 03:02 AM
The jazz made a mistake... Almond > Miles

HotRodsHair
11-18-2008, 09:54 AM
It's so funny to read this thread after last nights game against Phoenix.

I am of the opinion that Sloan knows better than anyone who is good enough to play. He's held CJ back for the last couple of years for his defense, much more than for his offense. If he feels Almond is even worse, why on earth would we want Almond on the floor?

I think folks forget that the NBA game is a possession by possession beast. If the other team finds a weakness they will go after it again and again and again until the team fixes the weakness. Sloan has to take guys like Almond out quickly just to have a chance to win.

futureman
11-18-2008, 10:51 AM
I guess CJ must've read your thread last night. LOL! Only wish koufos would've played more.

sportsnutzz
11-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Neither one can play D and CJ has more experience Miles > Almond. CJ has proven that he can score in the NBA Almond has not proven anything at all. What he can score a lot in the developmental league? So :eyebrow:..... We don't need more people that can score when this team is healthy. The most important thing is D, and I think CJ wins that battle.

THE_FLASH_21
11-18-2008, 01:10 PM
It's so funny to read this thread after last nights game against Phoenix.

I am of the opinion that Sloan knows better than anyone who is good enough to play. He's held CJ back for the last couple of years for his defense, much more than for his offense. If he feels Almond is even worse, why on earth would we want Almond on the floor?

I think folks forget that the NBA game is a possession by possession beast. If the other team finds a weakness they will go after it again and again and again until the team fixes the weakness. Sloan has to take guys like Almond out quickly just to have a chance to win.

One game??????? :confused:

jimbobjarree
11-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Almond did look good in Cleveland on saturday, and I think we made the wrong call on his contract, but I have confidence in Sloan...and CJ was pretty good last night...how come he didnt really play second half, or at least i dont remember him playing that much.

and danggg, Koufos should have played some last night, as soon as his jumper falls and he gets more agrressive in the paint he will be an asset to us, he looks like he can become a better defender than Memo anyway.

sportsnutzz
11-18-2008, 03:15 PM
... agaist the cavs Almond was 2-5 FG, 3-4 FT, 4 RB, 1 Assist, 2 TO, 0 Steals, 5 fouls, 7 points in 21 min. If he was this prolific scorer like everyone thinks he is what happened? I think Jazz fans are seriously overrating this guy. Sure he could end up being really good down the road. But who do you want to take min away from? Miles? Korver? AK? even Harpring? Then he is going to go through the learning process game after game all season long. No thanks I don't want to waist playing time teaching a player like Almond how to play when we have a chance to make a serious run this year. It isn't anything against him he might turn out to be a really good player, but on this team right now, he doesn't have a chance.

THE_FLASH_21
11-19-2008, 06:06 PM
^^^ well what do u expect out of a guy who never plays??? he needs consistant playing time.. and Sloan has not done that.. Almond leaving is gonna hurt us bad... wait and see.

JAZZNC
11-19-2008, 08:41 PM
I think that either Miles or Almond can score just as well as the other one. However, Miles is much more athletic and is a better defender (kinda like choosing between a giant douche and a turd sandwich:D) so that's why he's getting the PT and never underestimate the influence of the contract he signed to get some PT.

HotRodsHair
11-20-2008, 08:58 AM
One game??????? :confused:

Against the Bucks CJ played 29 minutes, shot 2-4 from trey, 7-8 from the line, 8-16 from the field, had one offensive board, 2 assists, 3 fouls and 25 points. I'm not ready to annoint him the next great Jazz swing man, but he seems to be coming into his own nicely.

Almond played 6 minutes and had... um... one defensive board.

sportsnutzz
11-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Against the Bucks CJ played 29 minutes, shot 2-4 from trey, 7-8 from the field, had one offensive board, 2 assists, 3 fouls and 25 points. I'm not ready to annoint him the next great Jazz swing man, but he seems to be coming into his own nicely.

Yeah where did this come from? It's like he is possessed or something....

I was thinking during last nights game. When we are healthy fully we are better this year at almost every position than last year. Our bench is amazing we have the best bench in the league with out a doubt. Think about it SF, much improved, back up PG improved, back up Center improved. Everyone is general seems to be playing better. We are already playing better D than we where last year statistically. GO JAZZ :clap: Now lets get to full strength and start to put a serious win streak together.

futureman
11-20-2008, 10:55 AM
Heres the way I look at it:

1 Game: You got lucky
2 Games: You have improved
3 Games: You will be consistant

I think the real test for CJ will come tomorrow night against the spurs. If he can play a decent game, then we got a winner

JAZZNC
11-20-2008, 11:32 AM
I completely agree. If he can do it again against the Spurs then we'll be just fine. Its not looking good for us though with Booz, Memo, and Deron possibly out for this one and I guess Knight as well.

futureman
11-20-2008, 11:48 AM
I completely agree. If he can do it again against the Spurs then we'll be just fine. Its not looking good for us though with Booz, Memo, and Deron possibly out for this one and I guess Knight as well.

Gosh, I hope all of those guys aren't out. We need deron and okur badly. I was scared for a minute ,when it looked like AK may have been out as well.

THE_FLASH_21
11-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Still not a believer!!! good game doh..

Bucsfan
11-20-2008, 01:39 PM
I dont know about Okur, I think he needs to get with the program, even when he has played this season he hasnt done that great, he hasnt been that great in a while

I hope CJ miles is coming around, he is becoming a good scorer, but he just needs to stay consistent

HotRodsHair
11-20-2008, 01:50 PM
I haven't been able to watch the games so far, but from what I gathered Okur came in to camp in great shape and started the season solid. With his quick departure to Turkey, I'm sure that he lost some of that preparation physically and mentally. I think he will be fine. But right now his team really needs him, and if he gets his head on straight he could make a huge difference. Particularly with Boozer out.

Thank goodness we have Brewer and Millsap to get points in the paint.

Bucsfan
11-20-2008, 01:59 PM
well with all these players missing, they better hold on tight or its all going to fall apart

i mean how injured is deron? he has barely played, and when he did it wasnt quick or didnt move good at all...understandably but im worried they are hiding how hurt he really is

джаз
11-20-2008, 03:41 PM
When they initially said that Deron would be out 2-4 weeks, I didn't buy it. Did you see the footage of when he sprained his ankle? I actually was expecting to hear it was broken, it was a severe sprain. Don't be surprised if he isn't 100% after 6 weeks. I hope he can get back sooner than that, but won't be surprised if he isn't.

I just hope that Knight isn't out too long, I miss his play already. Same with Boozer, anyone heard any updates on how bad his Quad or whatever he tweaked is? I saw him test it on the side line by jumping a bit in the air and he about fell down. That didn't look good. Good thing the Jazz are deep, but even so, they are running out of players.

About Miles, he is looking great. But he needs to be able to do that on the road too. If he can, than he is going to be a really good player. I can now see why the Jazz are favoring Miles over Almond.

Has anyone else noticed that when Almond is in the game that the other Jazz players on the court sort of try not giving him the ball? Maybe I am just seeing things, but the Jazz players act differently when he is in the game. When Miles is in, they look for him and you can feel the confidence they have in him.

Edit: What the hell is wrong with Korver, his play has been Hart like lately. I think he is injured more than they Jazz are letting on as well.

HotRodsHair
11-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Again, I haven't been able to watch the games. But judging from the box score against Memphis it looks like Almond had a nice game. Fifteen minutes, 11 points. But the most impressive thing to me is the fact he went to the line for six free throws meaning he was aggressive while he was out there.

Man, we have some young talent on this team. Brewer also seems to be extending his range a bit.

jimbobjarree
11-23-2008, 10:49 AM
brewer was great last night, but Memo looked alot more aggressive which was very pleasing, he had two vicious throw downs and he looked back in buisiness from down town.

lets return to home sweet home and see the further increased numbers of our younger players

HotRodsHair
12-03-2008, 08:25 AM
I still haven't gotten to watch much of the Jazz on TV, but last night against Sacto Almond had a pretty good night. Obviously a box score doesn't tell me if he plays good D, if his shots come in the normal flow of the offense, or if he has great hustle. What I do know is he played more minutes than CJ, and had a better shooting night. I can also guess that since he played more than CJ the coach felt he had more to offer that night.

I love that we finally have a few guys who can play SG between CJ, Almond, Brewer and Korver. It seems like it's been ten years since our last good SG. Oh wait, it has been.

jimbobjarree
12-03-2008, 08:27 AM
now I watched the game and havn't seen the box score, and I thought he had a good game (I'v said that before though and the box score has said otherwise). He D'd up K Mart pretty well, got called for a few unfortunate fouls, and he didnt just shoot, he drove to the basket strong, this kid can play, its a shame we didnt pick up his option.

HotRodsHair
12-03-2008, 08:32 AM
You always have to wonder if the Jazz are trying to drive up a players value for potential trades when they suddenly start getting lots of minutes and freedom to shoot. I don't know if that is the case, but I'd love to have three really athletic SG's with the ability to both stretch the D and take it hard inside. (play above the rim as Sloan likes to call it) The more I watch CJ the more he looks like a pretty impressive talent to me. I can't wait to see Almond play as well.

jimbobjarree
12-03-2008, 08:43 AM
well Almonds future is surely away from Utah, his option was cheap, if we re-sign him now it'l probably be for more money, so we have to trade him now.

still, if he had another cheap year wouldnt he have more trade value than a 1mil expiring?