PDA

View Full Version : Is Tim Duncan being disrespected?

JordansBulls
11-17-2008, 04:54 PM
I see many lists of guys saying who the top 5 or 10 players in the league are and a lot of them don't even have Tim Duncan on it. I can understand if he was 35 or 36 years old and he was only getting like 16 and 9 or something like that, but the man still gets 20 and 10 along with 2+ bpg and shoots a high percentage as well as has impact on both ends of the court. How could this guy not be top 5 in the league especially when he still puts up the numbers and has 3 finals MVP's and 2 season mvp's?

With that in mind, do you think Tim Duncan is being disrespected by not being considered a top 3-5 player in the league? (This has been going on for the past 3 years as well.)

OY!
11-17-2008, 05:08 PM
I see many lists of guys saying who the top 5 or 10 players in the league are and a lot of them don't even have Tim Duncan on it. I can understand if he was 35 or 36 years old and he was only getting like 16 and 9 or something like that, but the man still gets 20 and 10 along with 2+ bpg and shoots a high percentage as well as has impact on both ends of the court. How could this guy not be top 5 in the league especially when he still puts up the numbers and has 3 finals MVP's and 2 season mvp's?

With that in mind, do you think Tim Duncan is being disrespected by not being considered a top 3-5 player in the league? (This has been going on for the past 3 years as well.)

if this has been going on for 3 years then yes, last and this year, no. 20 and 10 is still really good its just other players were doing better, plain and simple.

Lakersfan2483
11-17-2008, 05:11 PM

Definitely agree, he's only 32 and just won a championship 2 yrs. ago. He's still in the top 3. A lot of people don't understand the value of Duncan and just look at stats and highlights and base their ratings on those things. Duncan's team is always a title contender and he is the primary reason for that. He's still the top big man in the NBA.

cubulls
11-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Tim Duncan? Who the hell is that?

OY!
11-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Definitely agree, he's only 32 and just won a championship 2 yrs. ago. He's still in the top 3. A lot of people don't understand the value of Duncan and just look at stats. Duncan's team is always a title contender and he is the primary reason for that. He's still the top big man in the NBA.

you can say the same thing about kobe, wade, lebron, chris paul, garnett. not to mention not only they are as if not more important then duncan but also have better stats.

IndyRealist
11-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Every great player on the downturn of their career gets disrespected. People have short memories and shorter attention spans, they don't remember Duncan absolutely plowing his way through every team on a yearly basis.

These are the same people who say Kobe is better than Jordan, having only seen Jordan play on the Wizards, and have not watched him dominate an entire decade. People who say Wilt or Dr. J couldn't play in today's NBA, that Olojuwan and Bird wouldn't be athletic enough, that Steve Nash or Chris Paul is the best PG of all time...those people need a serious history lesson.

Lakersfan2483
11-17-2008, 05:18 PM
Every great player on the downturn of their career gets disrespected. People have short memories and shorter attention spans, they don't remember Duncan absolutely plowing his way through every team on a yearly basis.

These are the same people who say Kobe is better than Jordan, having only seen Jordan play on the Wizards, and have not watched him dominate an entire decade. People who say Wilt or Dr. J couldn't play in today's NBA, that Olojuwan and Bird wouldn't be athletic enough, that Steve Nash or Chris Paul is the best PG of all time...those people need a serious history lesson.

Good pts, I have to agree with you.

JordansBulls
11-17-2008, 05:18 PM
you can say the same thing about kobe, wade, lebron, chris paul, garnett. not to mention not only they are as if not more important then duncan but also have better stats.

None of the guys you mentioned have carried teams to the magnitude that Duncan has and won titles as the best player on the team multiple times.

Lakersfan2483
11-17-2008, 05:19 PM

Duncan is ahead of most of the guys you mentioned.

OY!
11-17-2008, 05:20 PM
These are the same people who say Kobe is better than Jordan, having only seen Jordan play on the Wizards

not true. i have been an NBA fan since MJ first came to the league. But i think Kobe is better. i might be a little bias but who cares :D

Lakersfan2483
11-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Shaq and Duncan have dominated the league for the past 10 or 11 yrs, 90 pct. of the time one guy or the other has his team in the finals.

Lakersfan2483
11-17-2008, 05:23 PM
not true. i have been an NBA fan since MJ first came to the league. But i think Kobe is better. i might be a little bias but who cares :D

Kobe is a great player, but he's not better then Michael... Michael was on an entirely different level.

OY!
11-17-2008, 05:24 PM
None of the guys you mentioned have carried teams to the magnitude that Duncan has and won titles as the best player on the team multiple times.

but the thing is im not talking about the past. im talking right now and last year. In the past, Duncan was my top 3 of course. But like i said right now, i consider him top 10.

OY!
11-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Kobe is a great player, but he's not better then Michael... Michael was on an entirely different level.

well im gonna turn this thread into another mj vs kobe thread so ill just leave it at that.

superkegger
11-17-2008, 05:27 PM
there are only 3 players I would take ahead of TD. TD is the best big in the game, hands down. I need a championship and have 1 year to do it, I'm taking TD.

Giaps
11-17-2008, 05:29 PM
We're not talking all-time. This has to do with this season and TD is probably a top 10 player still, but top 5 is the same list you just commented on: Lebron, Kobe, Paul, Wade, Garnett. And that's not disrespect at all... there are just younger, better players out there right now.

THIS SEASON.

Macedonian
11-17-2008, 05:30 PM
its just other players were doing better, plain and simple.
I'll second that... Three years ago, on the list for rebounds per game, Duncan was 5th, and this year, he is 13th... On the list for blocks per game, 2 years ago, Duncan was 5th, and now he is 33th... I still respect him a lot, but there are some better guys playing around!

Lakersfan2483
11-17-2008, 05:31 PM
well im gonna turn this thread into another mj vs kobe thread so ill just leave it at that.

I understand your point, and by the way, Kobe is my favorite player.

G-Funk
11-17-2008, 05:33 PM
Jordan is the best player of all-time but Kobe is by far my favorite player.

G-Funk
11-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Look at Duncan and Pop now, can't win without help. but I still think that Duncan is top. 5.

Lakersfan2483
11-17-2008, 05:36 PM
For all of those stat guys, Tim Duncan is "currently" averaging 24ppg 10rpg and 3apg, without Manu and Tony and his team has been winning lately. It's no debate, Tim is still the best big man in the league. He took his team to the Western Conference Finals last season and won the title the year before that. He is still playing at a high level, there is no way he can not be considered amongst the top 3 or 4 guys in the NBA.

The key is that he is still playing at an extremely "high" level and he's only 32. His game has to show significant signs of dropping off before people can start taking him out of their top 3 or 4 players in the league.

alexander_37
11-17-2008, 05:42 PM
id say dwight is a better big man

but timmy D has been under the readar his whole career he doesnt get press like shaq or yao or now howard

but he is not in his prime anymore but still capable of putting up 20/10 numbers more often than not

WSU Tony
11-17-2008, 06:13 PM
This poll would be even more interesting with Al Jefferson....

JordansBulls
11-17-2008, 06:17 PM
:sigh:
This poll would be even more interesting with Al Jefferson....

:sigh::puke:

Spurred1
11-17-2008, 06:18 PM
He's usually overlooked by "experts." Nothing new. My guess is, he doesn't care what anyone thinks and plays as hard as he can.

DreamShaker
11-17-2008, 06:20 PM

You just named 5 guys with 2 less Finals MVP's combined than Duncan has....

barreleffact
11-17-2008, 06:21 PM
I say he's the best big man right now with dwight catching him. overall tho, id call him top 5. i consider perimeter positions to be the skill positions so my top 4 will have perimeter guys. thats no disrespect to mr duncan. its more of the fact that you cant teach height, and im a bit biased to players i could actually emulate. plus my top 4 has guys who can flat out embarrass an opponant by imposing their will. they can go on stretches where nobody can stop them and outscore entire teams for extended periods. i dont recall the last time tim duncan had 12 pt run by himself. and idk why people think timmy is old. age shouldnt be a factor with timmy. duncan has never(to my knowledge) been an athletic based player. he's the big fundamental. meaning he will always have his glass shot, make the simple play, and do textbook skills to get points and play defense. the only thing I see decreasing as he gets older are his minutes. but the way he scores, defends, and rebounds should remain fairly consistant IMO.

top 5 now
kobe
wade/paul
lebron
duncan

DreamShaker
11-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Look at Duncan and Pop now, can't win without help. but I still think that Duncan is top. 5.

Yeah I'm sure Kobe or Lebron or anyone else would still have the same record if the two best players besides them went down with injuries!

JordansBulls
11-17-2008, 06:32 PM

Yes because being born in 1988 enables you to have seen MJ play? I mean you obviously were watching basketball the date you were born and saw MJ. Being 10 years old even in MJ's last title in 1998 enabled you to understand how to judge a player right?
:rolleyes:

BRADfromOZ
11-17-2008, 06:33 PM
I'm a No and Yes for this one. I don't think that Duncan is top 5 material at the moment but he definitely should be cemented somewhere in the top 6 to 10.

OY!
11-17-2008, 06:34 PM

wow for the love of cheese, im talking about this season! im not talking about all time :pity:

OY!
11-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Yes because being born in 1988 enables you to have seen MJ play? I mean you obviously were watching basketball the date you were born and saw MJ. Being 10 years old even in MJ's last title in 1998 enabled you to understand how to judge a player right?
:rolleyes:

wow. did i just say to drop the topic and focus on the thread? your a mod for god sake you should know better then that :pity:

JordansBulls
11-17-2008, 06:39 PM
wow. did i just say to drop the topic and focus on the thread? your a mod for god sake you should know better then that :pity:

You were the one who brought it up as if you saw him play or knew anything about him playing in his heyday. I am agreement with the issue here because we are speaking about Duncan and guys in the league now.

JAZZNC
11-17-2008, 06:39 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!!

I know what ya mean JordansBulls, but Duncan is probably only putting up numbers at the start of the year b/c that team simply doesn't have anyone else who can score and there's a bunch of missed shots in Spurs games these days. He's just simply not the guy that can get you 40/20 anymore, I don't think. He's doing everything he can right now and he still is probably the best big man in the NBA. There isn't anyone else that I'd take.

Believe me I LOVE Timmy, I'm a Wake Forest fan so I've been pulling for him ever since he was dominating Rasheed Wallace and Matt Harpring in the ACC but I just think he's lost a step. Does that mean he's not still a top 10 player in the league, I think that's just up to personal opinion. Even though they've started out poorly I think that to compete for an NBA title in the West you're still gonna have to go through SA. He may be a little older and a little slower and have a little less vertical than he used to but he's still one of the finest big men to ever play in the NBA and I think he hasn't lost respect from anyone who really knows about basketball.

JordansBulls
11-17-2008, 06:40 PM
wow for the love of cheese, im talking about this season! im not talking about all time :pity:

So if we are talking about this season then that means Duncan is still near the top along with Lebron and CP3 and Wade as they have the best numbers.

eugene
11-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Timmy for sure is one of the best big men ever played, looks like a silence killer with his tranquil face. But still he is not a beloved and promoted idol or an icon like those duds as LeBron, Kobe, T-Mac etc. Finally having in mind his 2 season and 3 finals MVP's you cannot disregard this guy. For sure he is one of the best!

OY!
11-17-2008, 06:42 PM
So if we are talking about this season then that means Duncan is still near the top along with Lebron and CP3 and Wade as they have the best numbers.

and Dwight and Bosh and even Joe Johnson.

JayW_1023
11-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Tim Duncan is still the greatest player in the league in my book...you need more than stats to disprove that.

He has lead a team practically dominated by D-leaguers to two straight wins...one over a supremely talented Rockets team.

He can still average big numbers if he chooses to, but he understands the importance of playing the team game.

Hawkeye15
11-17-2008, 08:42 PM
I am pretty sure Tim sleeps well at night, and doesn't care about getting respect. He is labeled the best PF ever, has 4 rings, millions of dollars, and he may be past his prime, but do you think he cares? There are new players now that are more exciting, and frankly, better. You can't stop father time. Him and KG were hands down the best PF's in the NBA 4 years ago. Not anymore. In 8 years, it will be some kid who is in 8th grade right now.

MiamiHeat
11-17-2008, 08:44 PM
I have him as a backup in my 2K8 lineup, a very good one I might add:p

But he is in my top 10 list

WSU Tony
11-17-2008, 10:24 PM
:sigh:

:sigh::puke:

Jefferson has just about equal stats in Pts, Blocks, Assits, rebounds..... and has never been in an all star game. Did I mention the age difference?

Who's being disrespected more?

Hawkeye15
11-17-2008, 10:33 PM
Jefferson has just about equal stats in Pts, Blocks, Assits, rebounds..... and has never been in an all star game. Did I mention the age difference?

Who's being disrespected more?

I am a monster Wolves fan, but its all about winning. At the same age, Jefferson has just as good of stats as TD. But TD defended better, and fell into a winning situation. Big difference. I do think Al Jefferson deserves to make the all star team, but he is 1-8. Not happening.

Joshtd1
11-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Yes. TD is still putting up great #'s without a legit 2nd option right now. If he catches the ball, he is getting double teamed on a nightly basis and still averaging over 20 PPG.

Stats arent everything though. They dont measure his impact by drawing the double teams, and getting his teammates wide open shots. They also dont measure his impact on the defensive end.

People can say they think TD is slowing down, but personally this year he looks a bit more in shape, and a step quicker then he was last year. And this is from someone that sees TD every single night they play. People would always say he slowing because of his regular season stats..well alot of that has to do with the emergence of TP and Manu.

Its funny..once KG went to Boston, his stats decreased a bit, yet I dont recall anyone saying he declined.

WSU Tony
11-17-2008, 10:36 PM
I've forgotten it's more about the rest of your team and less about you.

I'd say Big Al and TD are both disrespected.

Joshtd1
11-17-2008, 10:38 PM
I am a monster Wolves fan, but its all about winning. At the same age, Jefferson has just as good of stats as TD. But TD defended better, and fell into a winning situation. Big difference. I do think Al Jefferson deserves to make the all star team, but he is 1-8. Not happening.

I agree. I am a big Al Jeff fan because he reminds me alot of TD, but the biggest difference between him and TD is their defense. Also, I havent seen Al Jeff enough to know if he is a good passer out of the double teams, but I have heard he has a problem with that.

However I do feel Al Jeff is extremely underrated.

rosesbulls
11-17-2008, 10:49 PM

Then you must have been watching with eyes shut and with ear plugs in because no1 who has watched Jordan play throughout his career can really say any1 is better then him. Maybe the other MJ, WC but impossible to know and Oscar Roberson during his 5 year stretch but thats a other impossible to know. A little Bias :rolleyes:

unwantedplayer
11-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Well, his team isnt doing that great.. So his numbers are obviously gonna be good since he will be the #1 scorer.

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Duncan is the man. I respect him more than any other player not wearing purple and gold. He just gets it done. He is unselfish and lets his teammates shine. He sacrifices stats for the betterment of the team. He will lock down a post player and shut down the paint from penetrators. Plays with a great attitude and never wants to show anyone up. He is a PROFESSIONAL basketball player.

But lets not forget, he can score 30 points and grab 13 boards for a season. He just knows it would not be better for the team as well as himself. You need to pace yourself in the NBA season. He wants to be fresh for the playoffs so only goes about 32 minutes a game.

A lot of people say, Kobe would not have won a title without Shaq. I say what if we took Kobe and put him on the Spurs, how many titles would Duncan have? Two lock down defenders who can score. I dont see Timmy having an ego war with Kobe.

rosesbulls
11-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Yeah I'm sure Kobe or Lebron or anyone else would still have the same record if the two best players besides them went down with injuries!

Lebrons two best lpayers are BIg Z and Mo so maybe :D

rosesbulls
11-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Well, his team isnt doing that great.. So his numbers are obviously gonna be good since he will be the #1 scorer.

have you ever watched TD play in your life because this comment says other wise.:crazy::pity:

Hawkeye15
11-17-2008, 11:11 PM

no, you are a lot biased. To even mention Kobe in the same sentence as Michael Jordan is an insult. Peace

Joshtd1
11-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Duncan is the man. I respect him more than any other player not wearing purple and gold. He just gets it done. He is unselfish and lets his teammates shine. He sacrifices stats for the betterment of the team. He will lock down a post player and shut down the paint from penetrators. Plays with a great attitude and never wants to show anyone up. He is a PROFESSIONAL basketball player.

But lets not forget, he can score 30 points and grab 13 boards for a season. He just knows it would not be better for the team as well as himself. You need to pace yourself in the NBA season. He wants to be fresh for the playoffs so only goes about 32 minutes a game.

A lot of people say, Kobe would not have won a title without Shaq. I say what if we took Kobe and put him on the Spurs, how many titles would Duncan have? Two lock down defenders who can score. I dont see Timmy having an ego war with Kobe.

I've never been a Lakers fan, but I have always wondered how great those two players would be together. I think that they would have had their own dynasty..I think that they would have had atleast 3 like Kobe/Shaq had, and possibly more if they would have stayed together.

dre1990
11-17-2008, 11:16 PM
there are only 3 players i would take ahead of td. Td is the best big in the game, hands down. I need a championship and have 1 year to do it, i'm taking td.

aggreed

Lakersfan2483
11-17-2008, 11:36 PM

Good post and if Tim and Kobe had teamed up, they would have about 4 or 5 titles. (I have thought about those two playing together, and how great they would play together)

still1ballin
11-18-2008, 12:09 AM
He is boring to watch. It is almost like if he is emo with his head always down.

JordansBulls
11-18-2008, 12:51 AM

But who else is on the team? Does Drob stay or do they have Parker or Manu? Who is with Shaq at that point?

Raidaz4Life
11-18-2008, 01:16 AM
No people call him the greatest PF of all time which is a load of bull so as much respect I have for the guy I don't think he is being disrespected.

Fans in Asia
11-18-2008, 01:42 AM
Lots of respect to Tim Duncan.

He single-handedly brought two (close) wins for Spurs (vs Rockets, Kings) when he literally had not much help. He showed his quality.

But...we simply can't deny the fact that Spurs is no longer a serious contender (at least for this season) even Parker and Ginobili are back to the line-up one / two months later.

My prediction is that they will be 7th / 8th seed in the playoff (if they can make it), and they will play teams like Lakers / Jazz / Hornets, tough to overcome the homecourt advantage the opponents have.

And, their bench is not as deep as the past few years.

Another Jazz Fans in Asia
http://jazzfansinasia.blogspot.com

Joshtd1
11-18-2008, 01:56 AM
Lots of respect to Tim Duncan.

He single-handedly brought two (close) wins for Spurs (vs Rockets, Kings) when he literally had not much help. He showed his quality.

But...we simply can't deny the fact that Spurs is no longer a serious contender (at least for this season) even Parker and Ginobili are back to the line-up one / two months later.

My prediction is that they will be 7th / 8th seed in the playoff (if they can make it), and they will play teams like Lakers / Jazz / Hornets, tough to overcome the homecourt advantage the opponents have.

And, their bench is not as deep as the past few years.

Another Jazz Fans in Asia
http://jazzfansinasia.blogspot.com

This team is basically the same team as we had last year in which we went to the WCF. TP and Manu being more rested then usual doesnt hurt. Sorry, I jsut dont see how we wont be "serious contenders", specially now that we have a legit 4th option on offense now in Roger Mason Jr.

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-18-2008, 01:58 AM
But who else is on the team? Does Drob stay or do they have Parker or Manu? Who is with Shaq at that point?

That part I cant answer. They got Manu in the second round and Parker late in the first round so maybe they have both. D Rob was already on the team so yes he would stay.

But that really would not be fair. Lets just say Kobe and Duncan with role players around them like the Lakers had. Vets who knew their roles. They would compliment each other perfectly. Kobe and Duncan in a pick and pop or pick and roll scenario is unstoppable. Duncan does not clog up the paint stifling Kobe's driving abilities. He could hit a jump shot from 15 feet. They both were premiere defenders in the early 2000's.

I dont care who Shaq would have. Whenever they say "Take Shaq off the Lakers" they never care to put another star around Kobe to give him the benefit of the doubt. So Ill just say Shaq would not have won 3 titles in a row with a lineup of

Shaq
AC Green
Rick Fox
Brian Shaw
Derek Fisher

Kaptain Kanada
11-18-2008, 02:02 AM
TD gets no respect because the guy is boring as hell.

Shaq had it right when he gave Duncan the nickname: The Big Fundamental.

UnWantedTheory
11-18-2008, 02:24 AM
there are only 3 players I would take ahead of TD. TD is the best big in the game, hands down. I need a championship and have 1 year to do it, I'm taking TD.

Pretty much summed it up for me. He is also a Spur and the Spurs are not known to get much respect either. Duncan has taken his team to the promise land or close to it more times than any of the previously mentioned current players while maintaining his consistant 20ppg 10 rpg 2 bpg, as well as his dominant defense. Wade, LeBron, and Garnett have only been there the once. Wade had Shaq(when he was still semi-dominant)....Garnett had Allen and Pierce....Lebron led his team to the Finals once, but lost to Duncans Spurs and The 3 Kobe has were with Shaq. Now Kobe went last year(rightly so) with a very good team and came up short(not his fault). But yes Duncan is consistantly underappreciated and disrespected. But if you ask him, I doubt he cares. DUNCAN IS STILL MAINTAINING HIS AVERAGES THROUGH THESE 10 GAMES as before.

UnWantedTheory
11-18-2008, 02:27 AM

His numbers are always good...The Spurs are 5-5 now without 2 of there big three...When they return his numbers will still stay the same since he is always their #1 option. The offense is run through him.

UnWantedTheory
11-18-2008, 02:29 AM

With those two on the same team, I know who I would always bet on to go to and win the finals.

UnWantedTheory
11-18-2008, 02:33 AM
No people call him the greatest PF of all time which is a load of bull so as much respect I have for the guy I don't think he is being disrespected.

I happen to think he is the greatest PF, although everything regarding the "greatest" is up for debate. But to say its outright bull makes what you say bull.

UnWantedTheory
11-18-2008, 02:49 AM
I'll second that... Three years ago, on the list for rebounds per game, Duncan was 5th, and this year, he is 13th... On the list for blocks per game, 2 years ago, Duncan was 5th, and now he is 33th... I still respect him a lot, but there are some better guys playing around!

Lets not forget its very early...He has only played 10 games....geez. So isnt this pointless to debate how the season shall go for him...Lets play some more ball before we say he has lost what "he once was".

JayW_1023
11-18-2008, 05:57 AM
Another win over the Clippers, who have a frontline of Kaman and Camby. That he can have guys like Roger Mason and Finley be so productive is a result of him constantly demanding double teams down low.

I wonder if Roger Mason would shoot 45 percent from beyond the arc without Timmy. I wonder if the Spurs would be 4-1 if it wasn't for Tim Duncan.

Tim Duncan may not be the best player in the league, but he is in my opinion the greatest. He is a leader and always gets it done. The reason why he doesn't get headlines like Kobe is because unlike most NBA stars, he has nothing left to prove. He's already a proven Hall of Famer by just doing wat he always does.

Chronz
11-18-2008, 08:19 AM
HAHAHAHAHA!!

I know what ya mean JordansBulls, but Duncan is probably only putting up numbers at the start of the year b/c that team simply doesn't have anyone else who can score and there's a bunch of missed shots in Spurs games these days.
WRONG

Yes. TD is still putting up great #'s without a legit 2nd option right now. If he catches the ball, he is getting double teamed on a nightly basis and still averaging over 20 PPG.

Stats arent everything though. They dont measure his impact by drawing the double teams, and getting his teammates wide open shots. They also dont measure his impact on the defensive end.

People can say they think TD is slowing down, but personally this year he looks a bit more in shape, and a step quicker then he was last year. And this is from someone that sees TD every single night they play. People would always say he slowing because of his regular season stats..well alot of that has to do with the emergence of TP and Manu.

Its funny..once KG went to Boston, his stats decreased a bit, yet I dont recall anyone saying he declined.

KG's stats didnt decrease in Boston, he had a bounce back season actually and his defensive metrics were thru the roof. And your leaving a very vague definition of statistics because you assume they can be easily achieved. Dont you think Pop would want his team to rebound every missed shot? Its just not going to happen so you cant make excuses for the lack of any given statistic rather you must analyze the players role on his team and weight its impact on them. Or is Tim Duncan purposely costing his team possessions?

Facts are that RIGHT NOW Tim Duncan has REMARKABLE STATS.

Top Bigmen in the league
USG% Off.RTG RebRate PER
Dwight 24.8 119 20.8 30.6
Duncan 30.2 113 16.1 27.2
Bosh 27.1 115 14.9 22.8
Al Jefferson 27.6 109 16.8 23.7

Youll notice a trend that the lower amount of possession a player accounts for the higher his offensive RTG tends to be, this is what you would expect from any player, those who dont are deemed cancerous to a teams offense. If anyone is going to be taking shots from your best players then they better be making the bulk of their shots.

And this case is no different, both Bosh and Dwight account for less possessions, higher efficiencies but Duncan isnt that far off and the general rule of thumb is 1PT increase for every % gained and vice versa so hes still within their level of production. Interesting to note is how much better than Al Jefferson hes been doing, the raw stats may not support this but those arent very telling, never have been. Dwight is the only one you could say has been superior and thats because of his rebounding prowess.

Still Duncans enjoying abit of a career type year but only offensively he does seem significantly slower defensively but the Spurs may have turned the corner as a team in that regard with their recent wins. Plus hes been amazingly clutch so any intangible is indeed in his favor, the whole 2nd option, 3rd option stuff always rubs me the wrong way because its so inconclusive. Not every 2nd option is treated equally so treating them so doesnt give proper credit. The fact that Duncan is this good is because hes playing this damn good, and could possibly be playing better if he had Manu and TP alongside him.

codes238
11-18-2008, 09:55 AM
he won 4 titles as the best player on his team and noone else in the league can say that (shaq has won 4 too but he wasnt the best player with miami)... he's only lost half a step at most, the guy can still put up 25 points on over 50% shooting, 10 boards, 4 assists and 2 blocks easily and win surrounded by pretty much scrubs... oh yea and he does all this while playing the best and possibly most underrated d in the league, he locks down his man while still being a great help defender on any penetration... i dont like the guy or spurs too much personally but any list that deosnt have him in at least the top 3 is compltely ******** and i really dont think its a stretch at all to say he's still the best player in the league right now... if the spurs can somehow sign mcdyess, theyre winning the championship this year...

innovator
11-18-2008, 11:19 AM
NO, because i consider him a top 5 best player

Robbie7138
11-18-2008, 03:33 PM
hes bet pf of all time
and top 5 in nba today
hes a defensive beast, can score the basketball whenver he chooses and make everyone around him better

he still has alot of years left in the league because he doest rely on his atheltic ability

as long as the spurs have him, we will always be contenders

Joshtd1
11-18-2008, 03:46 PM
KG's stats didnt decrease in Boston, he had a bounce back season actually and his defensive metrics were thru the roof. And your leaving a very vague definition of statistics because you assume they can be easily achieved. Dont you think Pop would want his team to rebound every missed shot? Its just not going to happen so you cant make excuses for the lack of any given statistic rather you must analyze the players role on his team and weight its impact on them. Or is Tim Duncan purposely costing his team possessions?

When I said his stats went down, I was talking about his points and rebounds. They were down in Boston, compared to the year he had before in Minny. Yet whenever Duncan's points dropped, it was because people kept saying it was because he was declining, when in reality its because he had 2 other guys that could constantly put up 20+ ppg on a nightly basis.

mrblisterdundee
11-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Everybody knows his is top five at his position, no matter what any rankings say.

IversonIsKrazy
11-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Best PF or C in the league rite now, i'd rank him over dwight. only other ppl i rank over him r kobe, lebron, cp3 and d-wade.

1. Kobe
2. LeBron
3. CP3
4. D-Wade
5. TD

Chronz
11-19-2008, 05:40 AM
When I said his stats went down, I was talking about his points and rebounds. They were down in Boston, compared to the year he had before in Minny. Yet whenever Duncan's points dropped, it was because people kept saying it was because he was declining, when in reality its because he had 2 other guys that could constantly put up 20+ ppg on a nightly basis.

Thats a pretty empty definition of stats isnt it? KG's stats went up in Boston, his rebounding dipped but thats about it, and Duncan did decline abit last year and it had nothing to do with TP or Manu. His usage % was actually higher last year than the year before the difference was he wasnt converting at the same rate. Its one of the reason the Spurs werent as potent offensively as they were in their championship year. Hes off to a brilliant start right now but I highly doubt he can keep this up.