PDA

View Full Version : Giants sign LHP Jeremy Affeldt

METS4LIFE1988
11-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Itís a two-year deal. Checking on terms.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/extrabaggs/2008/11/17/giants-sign-lhp-jeremy-affeldt/

Tragedy
11-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Good old Giants. :laugh2:

whitesoxfan83
11-17-2008, 04:13 PM
this is a great move for them. hes coming off two very solid seasons in two of the best hitters parks in the NL. now hes going to san fran? i think he going to be a great set up man for wilson, or even a great closer with wilson setting up. either way its a nice 1-2 combo they got. actually a good signing by the giants

TheShock45
11-17-2008, 04:21 PM
and the free agency starts off with a bang

i like the signing im hoping phillies get a good left hander theres a few out there

GiantYankKnicks
11-17-2008, 04:24 PM
Good move

Method28
11-17-2008, 04:40 PM
damn!! Come on Cards!!! :mad:

TheOneandOnly
11-17-2008, 04:43 PM

and this is a bad move how?

Giants2009
11-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Great signing!!! Im happy!!!!

viktor06
11-17-2008, 04:57 PM
2years/8m total

viktor06
11-17-2008, 04:58 PM
He has a good LH/RH split. A solid setup man

gocubs2118
11-17-2008, 05:11 PM

You should probably look up stats before you start laughing at good moves.

thefens
11-17-2008, 05:53 PM
I like the signing, i think he'll fit in nicely with the Giants bullpen.

Kinsm
11-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Probably the best LHRP next to Marte, good signing for the Giants, a bit overpaid IMO...but not by much. It's the one Reds FA I wanted them to bring back...oh well. He was great on the road, but mediocre at GABP.

Tkais9009
11-17-2008, 05:59 PM
WOW.... what a steal. nice job giants to swoop down and grab him

Tragedy
11-17-2008, 06:05 PM
It's not a great deal because:

1) He's had two GOOD years. So? We're not far removed from a 1.6836893636836746 WHIP from this guy.

and

2) The Giants are not a good baseball team. It's laughable not because of the person they're signing, but because of the fact that they're bothering to sign him in the first place. They're so far from serious contention that bringing this guy in is simply wasting cash.

CAIN=FUTURE
11-17-2008, 06:06 PM

1) He's had two GOOD years. So? We're not far removed from a 1.6836893636836746 WHIP from this guy.

and

2) The Giants are not a good baseball team. It's laughable not because of the person they're signing, but because of the fact that they're bothering to sign him in the first place. They're so far from serious contention that bringing this guy in is simply wasting cash.

The Giants really are not that far from contention in the NL West. The Giants actully posted a winning record in the second half when they started playing the younger guys.

LBCgiantsfan
11-17-2008, 06:18 PM

and

I thought bad teams were allowed to make improvements, this is not gonna bring us the west but solidifying a bad bullpen can go a long in preserving a lot more wins for the giants.

giantspwn
11-17-2008, 06:21 PM

and

I'm not suggesting that the Giants are automatically in contention now but they would have been last year if the bullpen was decent. The only team worst than the Giants bullpen last year was the Mets. Affeldt at 8 mil for 2 years is a steal IMO.

UofA
11-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Damn... wish the Mets got him

giantspwn
11-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Damn... wish the Mets got him

I see the Mets going after Juan Cruz.

Freel for prez
11-17-2008, 06:46 PM
this is a great move for them. hes coming off two very solid seasons in two of the best hitters parks in the NL. now hes going to san fran? i think he going to be a great set up man for wilson, or even a great closer with wilson setting up. either way its a nice 1-2 combo they got. actually a good signing by the giants

I watched Affeldt all last season, hes not bad and hes definitely a good pickup for you guys....but to say he could be closer material is absurd.

papipapsmanny
11-17-2008, 06:51 PM
finally someone gets signed this has been the slowest offseason since i can remember

jsand3030
11-17-2008, 07:31 PM
I watched Affeldt all last season, hes not bad and hes definitely a good pickup for you guys....but to say he could be closer material is absurd.

theres no way hell be closing over Wilson.. Although i can see him being a starter for us

Tragedy
11-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Ever heard of rounding to the nearest hundredth? Or is this your way of emphasizing your point ("Wow! That number is so BIG!")? Come on now.
You can't be serious. :laugh2:

So you are allowed to dog the Giants, and I am not allowed to dog the Red Sox?

Ha! You are funny. Keep deleting posts that are legitimate, yet ruffle your feathers.
My point had to do with the thread (The Giants made a signing). Your point had to do with the team I root for, which has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Close, though.

OaklandsFinest
11-17-2008, 07:39 PM
The Giants aren't that far from contention. I bet in 2009 the Giants will have a better pitching staff then Boston, and depending on how FA turns out they may just beat the sox in a 7 game series.

dodgersuck
11-17-2008, 07:40 PM
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!sabean u piece of ****

dodgersuck
11-17-2008, 07:43 PM
oh wait nevermind its only for 2 years 8 million. i thought someone said, 2 years 28 million. whew, good signing lol

Tragedy
11-17-2008, 07:43 PM
The Giants aren't that far from contention. I bet in 2009 the Giants will have a better pitching staff then Boston, and depending on how FA turns out they may just beat the sox in a 7 game series.
Can someone explain what the Red Sox has to do with this? Now the second time they've been mentioned in this thread, yet the only link to the Giants and Red Sox in this thread is my being a fan of Boston.

:rolleyes:

CarniifeX
11-17-2008, 07:46 PM
1st signing of the season.

Tragedy
11-17-2008, 07:48 PM
1st signing of the season.
Lets be fair here.

Detroit Tigers
Signed LHP Macay McBride to a one-year deal.

jsand3030
11-17-2008, 07:49 PM
oh wait nevermind its only for 2 years 8 million. i thought someone said, 2 years 28 million. whew, good signing lol

lol, wow you just went through a whole range of emotions !

Gigantes4Life
11-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Very solid RP, I like :).

1-800-STFU
11-17-2008, 07:53 PM
To celebrate a new word.....

Meh.....

dodgersuck
11-17-2008, 07:56 PM
lol, wow you just went through a whole range of emotions !

your telling me, i almost punched my computer, then i was happy lol, instantly

xander
11-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Way to go Sabean. Great signing. Just what the Giants needed at a very affordable price.

ESaady
11-17-2008, 08:03 PM
hazaa, i like it!

sacgiants1213
11-17-2008, 08:14 PM
good move, team needed to address the bullpen and they got a definite upgrade for a good price. hopefully sabean isn't done wheelin and dealin.

Giants27
11-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Is Juan Cruz type B?

Sport
11-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Jeremy Affeldt gets his own thread?

Ehh decent signing.

Giants4Tniners
11-17-2008, 08:19 PM
You can't be serious. :laugh2:

My point had to do with the thread (The Giants made a signing). Your point had to do with the team I root for, which has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Close, though.

nice backtracking, No, you are trashing the Giants, If someone did that to your beloved Sox you would delete the post or give a warning. Try playing on an even field huh? Or keep the snide comments to yourself. Your title doesnt impress that many people

dodgersuck
11-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Jeremy Affeldt gets his own thread?

Ehh decent signing.

nuttin else to talk about

Sport
11-17-2008, 08:33 PM
nuttin else to talk about

True, Ill be honest though, I havent heard from this guy since his Kansas City Royals days.

Sport
11-17-2008, 08:33 PM
nice backtracking, No, you are trashing the Giants, If someone did that to your beloved Sox you would delete the post or give a warning. Try playing on an even field huh? Or keep the snide comments to yourself. Your title doesnt impress that many people

Actually, from my standpoint, Tragedy has been one of the cooler mods on here.:clap:

C1Bman88
11-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Is Juan Cruz type B?

Cruz is Type A.

Joe505
11-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Actually, I am serious. Why did you feel the need to use a ridiculously long number (1.6836893636836746) when referring to a common statistic? It didn't add to your point, and it sure didn't distract the reader from your asinine statement.

Your other "point" was baseless and had nothing to do with the thread either. I was merely pointing out my idea (angst over the non-repeat for the Sox?) of why you seem to have such strong feelings about the productive signing of a relief pitcher by a team on the other side of the country that isn't even in the same league. While you where stating that this Affeldt signing wasn't smart because the Giants are "so far out of contention", insinuating that a team that isn't a for sure playoff contender shouldn't be taking measures to improve their team.

Get him man, way to represent Giants fans! GO GIANTS 09!!!!

TheShock45
11-17-2008, 10:59 PM

and

far from serious contention??? its the only division where on player makes a difference
now they have a solid back of the bullpen
3 young stud pitchers and a former ace who could snap outof it and win 22 games
all they need is a bat and they run away with the division

UnWantedTheory
11-17-2008, 11:48 PM
far from serious contention??? its the only division where on player makes a difference
now they have a solid back of the bullpen
3 young stud pitchers and a former ace who could snap outof it and win 22 games
all they need is a bat and they run away with the division

Um...No.......LoL....The Giants will not be serious contenders next year...Possibly make a spurt here and there...But nothing serious....One thing fans tend to do is give their team too much credit...and this is true with everyone. Although I believe this to be a decent signing for you guys it isnt going to get you to the playoffs. I believe there were other more serious needs you could have addressed instead of using that money on someone you could have replaced with cheaper options(even though the contract isnt terrible)...and 1 bat and they run away? hmmmm. Thats interesting. But I could be wrong...Just my opinion. At the end of the day he is a decent signing...So good luck this upcoming year. :)

UnWantedTheory
11-17-2008, 11:51 PM
;)

Tragedy
11-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Actually, I am serious. Why did you feel the need to use a ridiculously long number (1.6836893636836746) when referring to a common statistic? It didn't add to your point, and it sure didn't distract the reader from your asinine statement.
Why are you so worried about how I word things? I knew it was 1.6, and I just felt like throwing numbers on. I'm sorry that the way I write sometimes has a lasting effect on you; It wasn't meant to sadden you or anything.

Your other "point" was baseless and had nothing to do with the thread either.

I was merely pointing out my idea (angst over the non-repeat for the Sox?)
A Giants fan...Talking smack to a Red Sox fan? Come on. You're failing here, because if you actually knew me, you'd know I was fine with losing.

of why you seem to have such strong feelings about the productive signing of a relief pitcher by a team on the other side of the country that isn't even in the same league.

While you where stating that this Affeldt signing wasn't smart because the Giants are "so far out of contention", insinuating that a team that isn't a for sure playoff contender shouldn't be taking measures to improve their team.
Ah, finally, you get to baseball stuff and not insults.

Here's my take: Affeldt over the last two seasons has been GOOD. Not great, not bad, but GOOD. A two year deal for a two currently rebuilding, to me, only makes sense under a few reasons:

1) To trade them at the deadline and get more prospects.
2) As a stop gap to something better (not normally the case with relievers, though).

Signing Affeldt when the team is not competing, IN MY OPINION (deal with that), is a bit silly. What's the sense in signing a guy for two seasons if the chances of winning aren't at the greatest? It's as if the Giants are thinking "win now" - Where this signing would make sense for a team like the Yankees, it makes much less sense to a team like the Giants.

CaptainCool79
11-18-2008, 12:17 AM

Your other "point" was baseless and had nothing to do with the thread either. I was merely pointing out my idea (angst over the non-repeat for the Sox?) of why you seem to have such strong feelings about the productive signing of a relief pitcher by a team on the other side of the country that isn't even in the same league. While you where stating that this Affeldt signing wasn't smart because the Giants are "so far out of contention", insinuating that a team that isn't a for sure playoff contender shouldn't be taking measures to improve their team.

Great point, adding all those numbers probably amounts to a hit over the whole season.

jetsfan89
11-18-2008, 12:47 AM
really good signing by the giants. a two year deal in this type of market for a reliever of affeldt's ability is definitly the right deal.

yojoe792
11-18-2008, 01:54 AM

and

Good post. The Giants refuse to rebuild. Now they're going after Sabathia??? This is not what bad teams with money should do.

But that WHIP thing was kinda weird. What's with all the numbers???

CAIN=FUTURE
11-18-2008, 02:02 AM
Good post. The Giants refuse to rebuild. Now they're going after Sabathia??? This is not what bad teams with money should do.

This has nothing to do with the Giants not rebuilding. With guys like Pablo Sandoval, Lincecum, Cain, Wilson, Lewis, Schierholtz, Mekin Valdez, Alex Hinshaw, Manny Burriss, Kevin Frandsen, and Conor Gillispe in the bigs the rebuilding stage is very well on, and with our big guns like Madison Bumgarner, and Tim Alderson on the way are rotation will only get better, and also with are big hitters in Buster Posey, Angel Villalona, and Nick Noonan are lineup will not be terrible for long. Read a ****ing book or newspaper before you say something stupid.

PutMeInCoach
11-18-2008, 02:22 AM
this is a good signing by the giants, it gives them a young(ish) relief pitcher who can pitch in a variety of roles. Having a stable setup man next year IMO could add as many as 5 wins to their win total do to the simple fact that Walker and Taschner wont be there to mess it up. 2 years at 8m is a very good price... also sets it up for a trade if need be. The giants could very well surprise people this up coming year (not based just on this signing) and sneak into the playoffs in the west. The D backs and Dodgers will still be decent, but the Giants could easily out play them for the top spot. Lincecum pitching like he did + Cain pitching like everyone knows he has the abilty to can propel this team into first, and they have the youth in the minors coming up to help keep them there.

Gigantes4Life
11-18-2008, 02:28 AM

How are we refusing to rebuild? Because we had about 15 rookies start this year?

We have 3 SP around the age of 25. We'll have three sophomores starting next season at least (Burriss, Schierholtz, and Sandoval), and Lewis will only be in his second year starting.

Posey might be up next year, as well as Gillaspie.

Where is this refusal to rebuild **** coming from?

I didn't know signing a 29 year old RELIEF PITCHER to a 2-year deal meant you're going all out and going to sell off your farm.

zambo4president
11-18-2008, 03:08 AM
I like this signing for them. I don`t understand it, but i like it.

BarryIsInnocent
11-18-2008, 03:38 AM
what happens to alex hinshaw..guy was legit last year

S*Franchise*F
11-18-2008, 03:57 AM

and

first of all if the giants solidify their bullpen (which they have just done), sign a decent strating pitcher and trade for a bat they can be in serious contention. the giants have money to spend. stop being ignorant. the giants are trying to improve and they have improved their bullpen and more moves are waiting with the amount of money they got available

weebs
11-18-2008, 12:39 PM

and

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/free-agent-bargain-jeremy-affeldt/

He's seen significant development in his fastball and curve. His entire makeup has shifted from what it once was. And so has his control.

Excellent article on why you're wrong. It's not wasting cash. And nobody is that far from contention in the NL West.

northsider
11-18-2008, 04:50 PM
If he plays anything like the last 2 years that would be a great thing for the Giants. If he plays like his 04-05-06 years that could be a tragedy.

Tragedy
11-18-2008, 06:53 PM
You win. No teams other than the Red Sox and Yankees should try and improve through free agency. :)
So in other words, what you have to contribute to my responses are:

The Red Sox can't win the World Series in 2008 lolz. The Giants could beat the Red Sox in 2009 lolz.

Thank you.

Just felt like throwing numbers around? It's called nonsensical filler, and it just shows that you are trying to conceal the fact that you don't have anything intelligent to add to the conversation.
Sorry, so saying 1.6 WHIP would have made it better for you? Terribly sorry that your best chance for arguing is to get angry that I grouped words together that you weren't a fan of. I'll be sure to not let it happen again.:rolleyes:

Next time you want to "debate" bring baseball with you. This baiting is sad.

xander
11-18-2008, 06:57 PM
I like this signing for them. I don`t understand it, but i like it.

What don't you understand about it? They needed bullpen help, so they signed him.

weebs
11-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Tragedy, you care to respond to the fangraphs article posted?

UNETOWNBAYAREA
11-18-2008, 08:38 PM
good signing

Sport
11-18-2008, 08:59 PM
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/free-agent-bargain-jeremy-affeldt/

He's seen significant development in his fastball and curve. His entire makeup has shifted from what it once was. And so has his control.

Excellent article on why you're wrong. It's not wasting cash. And nobody is that far from contention in the NL West.

I completely agree with that.

The Giants, considering all goes well with their young talent, coul easily win the West next year, or at least compete until the final days of september.

Sport
11-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Other than the Padres you mean?

Sorry. That was a cheap shot, but that franchise is looking at some dark times ahead.

I stick up for you and this is what i get?:box:

haha its all good.

Call me Mr.Positive, but I really dont think its as bad as people make it seem.

Obviously were gonna be keeping the basement warm for the next couple years, but sometimes you have to do that to be successful.

We will see.

good spliff
11-19-2008, 12:22 AM
Excellent signing, this shores up the bullpen with a couple power arms:

SU Jeremy Affeldt LHP
CL Brian Wilson RHP

Tragedy
11-19-2008, 12:25 AM
Excellent signing, this shores up the bullpen with a couple power arms:

SU Jeremy Affeldt LHP
CL Brian Wilson RHP
Yes, now if only Brian Wilson can pitch well (2007 as opposed to 2008), it would be a good backend.

CaptainCool79
11-19-2008, 04:36 AM
If Walker/Wilson translated into 18 wins for Timmy, then Affeldt/Wilson should mean 23 or more. He's such an upgrade over walker as a setup guy, its ridiculous:clap:

Tragedy
11-19-2008, 07:38 AM
So, first it's a waste of money and now it's an excellent signing that shores up the back end of the bullpen?

What more can you expect out of Brian Wilson in his first full season in the big leagues? Many of his rough outings where in non-save situations, and even with those, he had a very respectable season that, coupled with his off-season workout regimen, should translate in to even greater success in 2009.

What's not to like about this signing?
1) Pretty sure that all year long, lost Giant fans *****ed and complained about Wilson. So, I think you're in the minority on your thoughts about him.

2) He was average to below average in 2008. I think people could have expected more out of the guy (and I'm sure going into 2008, people did).

3) Yes, if Wilson pitches well and Affeldt pitches well, it's a good backend BP. That doesn't make it a good move for the Giants.

weebs
11-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Damn, you're stubborn dude.

C1Bman88
11-19-2008, 12:52 PM
1) Pretty sure that all year long, lost Giant fans *****ed and complained about Wilson. So, I think you're in the minority on your thoughts about him.

2) He was average to below average in 2008. I think people could have expected more out of the guy (and I'm sure going into 2008, people did).

3) Yes, if Wilson pitches well and Affeldt pitches well, it's a good backend BP. That doesn't make it a good move for the Giants.

1) We *****ed and moaned when Wilson was put into non-save situations- that was when he was ridiculously erratic.

2) Yep, he was average. But he showed flashes of brilliance and dominance. If you compare his performance in high leverage situations to how he performed in low pressure situations, you'll see that he was downright nasty. The only closer more "Clutch" (WPA / LI - WPA/LI) was Brad Lidge.

Did we expect more out of the guy? Of course. But he still got the job done when we needed him to finish the game.

3) That statement just doesn't make any sense. Along with the offense, the bullpen was terrible last year. Especially setup relief. So I don't see how you can't consider this to be a good move.

weebs
11-19-2008, 12:57 PM
A team with tons of money that has the potential to contend in a terrible division adds a reliever for non-closer money who could be an outstanding closer, for only two years, and it's a guy who's seen his entire makeup change over the past few years, his fastball jump in velocity, his curveball bite even harder...yeah, real terrible move. There is no way, NO way this is a bad move. The Giants are already sunk into trying to be a contending team with the salaries they've got on the books. They're in a winnable division, so go with what you got. They addressed a serious need and got it for a reasonable price.

CAIN=FUTURE
11-19-2008, 09:25 PM

:laugh: I haven't met a Giants fan who was disappointed in Wilson. Wilson just likes to make Giants fans sweat a little bit, but there's nothing wrong with a little excitement. Plus, when the game was on the line Wilson was damn near unhittable. His velocity on his fast ball literally jumped up 3-5 mph in clutch moments. I remember one game against the Cubs. The Giants went into the 9th winning 2-0, Wilson loaded the bases and I believe a run came in. So bases loaded non out and all of a sudden his fastball goes from 95 mph to 100 mph. I dont even think a Cubs hitter even touched the ball. Wilson is an adrenaline junky.

Tragedy
11-19-2008, 11:05 PM
So making a signing that potentially turns a bullpen from terrible into respectable doesn't equal a good move? That makes a lot of sense.

I don't think you know Giants fans very well. Armando Benitez was their last full-time closer. There isn't a whole lot of room to ***** and moan about a cheap, young, All-Star closer who, more often than not, got the job done. Especially when your last "closer" was a heart attack waiting to happen every time they got the ball. I'd be willing to bet that I am not in the minority on this issue. Wilson was much better than below average, and could very possibly turn in to one of the elite closers in the game with the proposed addition of a changeup to his repertoire.

So stop hating. Anyone with a little bit of baseball smarts can clearly see that Affeldt was a solid addition. Are you just upset because the Red Sox didn't pick him up? Either way about it, looks like it is time for you to throw up the white flag.:smoking:

1) I already gave reasnoing as to why it wasn't a quality signing. Deal with it.
2) This has nothing to do with the Red sox. Why are you even bringng them up?
3) My team just pickd up Ramon Ramirez; So no, I'm not unhappy that we didn't spend more money on him.

Joe505
11-19-2008, 11:26 PM
Nothing to do with the Red Sox, but let me throw what the Red Sox just did today at you...:rolleyes:

Tragedy
11-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Nothing to do with the Red Sox, but let me throw what the Red Sox just did today at you...:rolleyes:
So someone else, for no apparent reason, brings up the Red Sox. It's completely pointless, because the only connection between this thread and the Red Sox would be. But, if he's going to continue bringing them up, I shouldn't be allowed to mention that we made a trade, right? Yes.

Tragedy
11-19-2008, 11:53 PM
3) Yay. This happened days after the topic we are speaking about. Irrelevant. Especially when one is a lefty and the other is a righty. Not to mention, that if the Sox move Masterson to the starting rotation (as is suspected) they are still going to be looking for more relief options.
Yeah, starting a Red Sox debate with me = fail. Might not want to even bother with it.