PDA

View Full Version : Best Rookies in Years?

phlp_bj
11-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Now that Greg Oden is finally back and has played rather well in his two most recent games with the Blazers, averaging 12 points, 9.5 boards, and 3.5 blocks over that time, it starts to split open a very curious conversation. Is this the best draft class in the past five years?

There's no arguing that the 2003 crop that yielded LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, Carmelo Athony, Chris Bosh, and David West is one of the best of all time. Beyond the superstars, that year also produced a ton of other NBA starters, including Chris Kaman, Kirk Hinrich, T.J. Ford, Josh Howard, Travis Outlaw, Kendrick Perkins, Luke Ridnour, Mo Williams (and the list just sort of goes on and on).

But seeing how the 2008 class has done in its first ten games, it seems like this could be a similar group with future All-Stars and significant rotation players. Chicago's Derrick Rose is a potential superstar, already averaging 18.9ppg, 5.6apg, and 5rpg. Memphis's O.J. Mayo is among the league's top 25 scorers already at 21ppg, and there are seven other rookies putting up double-figure scoring averages as well, including Miami's Michael Beasley and Portland's Rudy Fernandez. Golden State rookie Anthony Morrow recently dropped a 37-point outing—the best ever for a first-year player that wasn't drafted.

There are also a ton of burgeoning rebounders in this class. Outside of Oden, Memphis has got two blooming post studs in Marc Gasol and Darrell Arthur (both of whom, by the way, ended up in Memphis as a result of the Pau Gasol trade). Luc Mbah a Moute is second among rookies in rebounding for Milwaukee with 7.5 per game. Even the kids we didn't expect are having fantastic years.

Sure, it's early, but this draft class looks like a gem. Check out the last five at nbadraft.net and tell me if you think any group between 2004 and 2008 is better. I'm guessing you won't be able to.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10619

AirJordanXVIII
11-16-2008, 10:05 PM
This years rookie class has been prettty nasty... Darrell Arthur has been pretty inconsistent tho.

SAVAGE CLAW
11-17-2008, 12:58 AM
I dont think it will go like the 2003 but more like the 2001 class you know:

Beasley-Gasol(Pau)

Curry - Gasol(Marc)

Chandler - Arthur.

Joe Johnson - Rudy .

Rose - Tony Parker

Bayless - Arenas

Love - Kirilenko.

Kwame - Oden ..... Joke!!!!1

SteveNash
11-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Darrell Arthur has only had one good game.

And Greg Oden is still considered a rookie, but he's not part of the 2008 draft class.

JordansBulls
11-17-2008, 01:01 AM
I like what I am seeing from Rose, Mayo and Beasley thus far. They are much better than I thought they would be.

mzgrizz
11-17-2008, 01:06 AM
Mayo in top 25 already??? Damn........we got him and CHRIS WALLACE got the deal done! Guess he's not JUST the "Lakers' biggest fan" HA!
Kidding aside, Mayo is unbelievable to watch.....

superkegger
11-17-2008, 01:18 AM
its very early, its way too early to judge what this rookie class will turn out to be, so why try?

mariotubes
11-17-2008, 01:20 AM
its a good class but it wont compare to the 2003 class

sunsalltheway03
11-17-2008, 01:23 AM
Yeah, I think its still a bit early. And to compare anything to the 2003 class is just foolish. The 2003 class might even be the best ever. Just a phenomenal class.

SAVAGE CLAW
11-17-2008, 01:40 AM
Yeah Mayo is Unveliable, Shot shot shot shot, i dont care if all my mates are open, Shot shot shot shot.....AssistS ? whats that an african country? uh? shot shot shot

LakerzDQ
11-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Yeah Mayo is Unveliable, Shot shot shot shot, i dont care if all my mates are open, Shot shot shot shot.....AssistS ? whats that an african country? uh? shot shot shot

you hate on everything that isn't european/spanish.

Kobe sucks because he doesn't pass to Pau.
Mayo sucks because he doesn't pass to Marc.

come on?

JordansBulls
11-17-2008, 10:46 AM

:confused:

Hellcrooner
11-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Well Hoggers are Disgusting, and i agree Mayo is definetly one.
Still there are hoggers and hoggers, one thign is to be a KObe or A Jordan and another thing is to be a Carmelo or a Rudy Gay for that Matter.

and about the Class, it really looks like a good one. 96 stuff?

Hellcrooner
11-17-2008, 11:02 AM
and yeah, what was that african country thing ??????

nygiants242
11-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Rose is a monster.

NYstateofMinD
11-17-2008, 11:07 AM
I dont think it will go like the 2003 but more like the 2001 class you know:

Beasley-Gasol(Pau)

Curry - Gasol(Marc)

Chandler - Arthur.

Joe Johnson - Rudy .

Rose - Tony Parker

Bayless - Arenas

Love - Kirilenko.

Kwame - Oden ..... Joke!!!!1

How is Curry like Marc Gasol? How is Rudy Fernandez like Joe Johnson? How is Rose like Parker? Let them play a few years before you judge them.

NYstateofMinD
11-17-2008, 11:09 AM

Dude your ignorant...I hope you get banned and if you don't im gonna petition it. Just kidding I don't have that much extra time..but you are pretty ignorant.

Hellcrooner
11-17-2008, 11:15 AM
yeah Claw Marc Gasol and Curry? thats a bad comparison Marc Gasol is Already better than Curry will ever Be.

mrblisterdundee
11-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Why don't we wait a few years? 2003 is proven, and this year's rookies aren't. Sure Rose has done well, but look at Beasely. He's supposedly the second option on a team with no post players, and he's still marginal.

LakerzDQ
11-17-2008, 12:03 PM
I like Rose, Beasley, OJ, Fernandez, Gasol, and Jason Thompson.

obviously better than last season's rookies, but I dunno about the best bunch in years.