PDA

View Full Version : Giants interested in Furcal

phlp_bj
11-16-2008, 09:50 PM
According to Rafael Furcal's agent Paul Kinzer, the Giants are showing serious interest in shortstop Rafael Furcal. Furcal believes the Giants can be "competitive quick," which really doesn't make much sense considering the Giants were last in the league in homeruns, RBIs, and second in the league for base on balls. Furcal is seeking a four year deal worth about 8-9 million dollars annually, and he will likely go to the highest bidder. The Cardinals, Orioles, and Tigers are showing varying degrees of interest in Furcal, among others, but the Giants may be willing to give Furcal the long term deal he wants.

The Giants need to build up their bullpen and structure a lineup around a power hitter, so it might be a better move to pursue Prince Fielder through trade or someone like Casey Blake on the open market.

http://elismlbrumors.blogspot.com/2008/11/giants-interested-in-furcal.html

yojoe792
11-16-2008, 09:59 PM
I think he goes to the Sox.

Sport
11-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Seems like a good fit in San Fran.

Not sure about the "competitive quick" part.

But it is possible considering how mediocre the division is.

dodgersuck
11-16-2008, 10:42 PM
the giants need power. furcals got none

LBCgiantsfan
11-16-2008, 10:48 PM

What sox? the red sox with jed lowrie or the white sox with alexei ramirez

Sport
11-16-2008, 10:58 PM
What sox? the red sox with jed lowrie or the white sox with alexei ramirez

Isnt Alexei staying at 2nd unless they sign Orlando Hudson?

bayareafan650
11-16-2008, 11:03 PM
no thanks

UNETOWNBAYAREA
11-16-2008, 11:06 PM
who isnt interested

LBCgiantsfan
11-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Isnt Alexei staying at 2nd unless they sign Orlando Hudson?

No ramirez is moving to ss

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-12-white-sox-alexie-ramirez-nov12,0,7236791.story

Here is one article that says he is moving to short

Joe505
11-16-2008, 11:22 PM
^Me.

Gigantes4Life
11-16-2008, 11:24 PM
This is the type of player the Giants have needed for a while.

Joe505
11-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Why a SS with little power, high OBP, Not an RBI guy...Not a guy the Giants need. We have Burriss, Lewis, and Velez to try and turn into that. We need a power hitting 1B. When was the last time the Giants have had someone like that?

tomno00
11-16-2008, 11:51 PM
that's pretty cheap for a potential MVP candidate (he was last year until he got hurt). The braves havent been to the playoffs since he left. If we trade esco, then we should take a look at him.

CHRISDODGERS
11-16-2008, 11:53 PM
If he wants to go to the Giants then **** him... :pity:

He has 15 HR's power BTW... that's decent... you giant fans act like he's friggen Juan Pierre...

CHRISDODGERS
11-16-2008, 11:53 PM
that's pretty cheap for a potential MVP candidate (he was last year until he got hurt). The braves havent been to the playoffs since he left. If we trade esco, then we should take a look at him.

Escobar for Pierre????

tomno00
11-16-2008, 11:56 PM
it will only cost escobar? I was thinking like escobar/hanson/heyward

CHRISDODGERS
11-16-2008, 11:58 PM
it will only cost escobar? I was thinking like escobar/hanson/heyward

:laugh2:

done... :D

Gigantes4Life
11-17-2008, 12:02 AM
Why a SS with little power, high OBP, Not an RBI guy...Not a guy the Giants need. We have Burriss, Lewis, and Velez to try and turn into that. We need a power hitting 1B. When was the last time the Giants have had someone like that?

A SS with great defense, good OBP and a good SLG% for his position.

The Giants problems are mainly OBP and defense, power will come with time.

Burriss, Lewis and Velez will never be as good as Furcal.

And of course he doesn't get a lot of RBI, he leads off.

Sport
11-17-2008, 12:02 AM
Escobar Hanson and Heyward for Juan Pierre?

God the Dodgers are getting raped in that deal.

tomno00
11-17-2008, 12:04 AM
haha... well how about we pay juan's salary too

Joe505
11-17-2008, 12:07 AM
A SS with great defense, good OBP and a good SLG% for his position.

The Giants problems are mainly OBP and defense, power will come with time.

Burriss, Lewis and Velez will never be as good as Furcal.

And of course he doesn't get a lot of RBI, he leads off.

That's not what I was saying Jack ***. I was saying he isn't an RBI guy. WE NEED SOMEONE WHO IS AN RBI GUY!

yojoe792
11-17-2008, 12:14 AM

red

CHRISDODGERS
11-17-2008, 12:17 AM
That's not what I was saying Jack ***. I was saying he isn't an RBI guy. WE NEED SOMEONE WHO IS AN RBI GUY!

dude.. your not gonna get anywhere calling people jackasses...

just sayin'...

C1Bman88
11-17-2008, 12:18 AM

You need players who can get on base first, though.

Furcal's decent at that, but he's pretty good at working the count. He has a much better chance of doing that consistently than Burriss does.

Joe505
11-17-2008, 12:41 AM
You need players who can get on base first, though.

Furcal's decent at that, but he's pretty good at working the count. He has a much better chance of doing that consistently than Burriss does.

I agree that Furcal can get on base, and this seems like another typical Sabean bone head move, but Furcal is far from the answer for the Giants. So what if he gets on base? Who is going to get him home? That's why the logic isn't there for the Giants signing Furcal. Unfortunately I see it happening. And the Giants still loosing.

N.Z's #1 Dodger
11-17-2008, 12:47 AM
Furcal, when healthy, is the man.

The problem is the healthy part.

giantspwn
11-17-2008, 12:49 AM
Furcal would be a godsend to this team offensively and defensively. Sabes needs to be very aggressive with signing him, even if it requires a 3, possibly 4 year deal...

I was always very envious of dodgers having him. Any Dodger fans care to comment on what kind of guy he is in the club house??

CHRISDODGERS
11-17-2008, 01:00 AM
Furcal would be a godsend to this team offensively and defensively. Sabes needs to be very aggressive with signing him, even if it requires a 3, possibly 4 year deal...

I was always very envious of dodgers having him. Any Dodger fans care to comment on what kind of guy he is in the club house??

He's a good guy.... he won't cause **** if that's what your asking..

mtt1er
11-17-2008, 01:07 AM
how old is he \???? thats my problem is he 27? 31? 30? does anyone really know for sure. im seriously asking becuase my understanding is that there was uncertaintys about his real age becuz of immigration legal issues. id feel more comfortable signing a 27 year old guy to a 4 year contract then if he is really 32 with a history of injurys.

C1Bman88
11-17-2008, 01:07 AM
I agree that Furcal can get on base, and this seems like another typical Sabean bone head move, but Furcal is far from the answer for the Giants. So what if he gets on base? Who is going to get him home? That's why the logic isn't there for the Giants signing Furcal. Unfortunately I see it happening. And the Giants still loosing.

There is no sole answer for the Giants, though. There is no one player that will instantly make the Giants a good team. He's a clear upgrade at a vital position on the diamond, and that's very important.

I think signing Furcal all depends on the price tag. A $10 million/year contract is reasonable. $12-13+ is too much.

Yes, a middle of the order impact bat is desperately needed. But so are quality position players, and the Giants lack that.

Cheezombie
11-17-2008, 01:08 AM
i don't understand why i giants fan wouldn't want this guy, he's a big improvement over vizquel.

xander
11-17-2008, 01:55 AM
hmmm...how about instead of signing Furcal or Sabathia, why don't the Giants sign someone who will provide power for them like Teixeira.

Gigantes4Life
11-17-2008, 02:02 AM
hmmm...how about instead of signing Furcal or Sabathia, why don't the Giants sign someone who will provide power for them like Teixeira.

And trade for Hanley while we're at it.

Remember, realistic here.

giantspwn
11-17-2008, 02:25 AM
i don't understand why i giants fan wouldn't want this guy, he's a big improvement over vizquel.

Most Giants fans do want him. The only problem is what kind of contract he's asking for.

CAIN=FUTURE
11-17-2008, 02:47 AM
Id love him on the Giants. Imagine him hitting in AT&T. AT&T is built for him with wide oped gaps, he could run for days.

CAIN=FUTURE
11-17-2008, 02:49 AM

The Giants ansewer is Pablo Sandoval! The Giants were a new team when he came up to the bigs.

nstachowski
11-17-2008, 02:59 AM
I think that it would be a great pickup for them.

giantspwn
11-17-2008, 03:02 AM
The Giants ansewer is Pablo Sandoval! The Giants were a new team when he came up to the bigs.

Pablo is a ****ing beast!!!

CarniifeX
11-17-2008, 07:55 PM
It appears the Giants and A's are battling for him.

Mychael Urban of MLB.com talked to Rafael Furcal's agent Paul Kinzer this morning. Kinzer says six teams have contacted him about Furcal since free agency opened Friday. The A's have yet to make an offer, but Kinzer's comments imply that the Giants might have. Both teams have very strong interest in the 31 year-old shortstop, who could sign before the winter meetings. When asked about the reported four-year, $40MM demand for Furcal, Kinzer said it was in the ballpark.

It's hard to peg the other four suitors, but the Cubs, Blue Jays, and Orioles are possibilities. The Cardinals and Dodgers may be out, while the Royals, Tigers, and Dodgers may balk at the salary or term. Presumably the Braves are backing off given the state of the Jake Peavy talks. Kinzer and Furcal will narrow it down to three teams soon.

-MLBTRADERUMORS.COM

It'd be interesting to see the Giants sign him. Looks like it will be an active off-season for them. Only if Barry Zito didn't suck, they'd be good.

dodgersuck
11-17-2008, 07:58 PM
i think this would only make sense because they wouldnt have to give up picks, if he sucks its only money they lose...could be worse, he would be an upgrade, thats for sure

CAIN=FUTURE
11-18-2008, 01:55 AM
If it comes down to the A's and Giants I dont see any way the A's get him; the Giants have more money to blow, better city, better stadium, and a lot more fans.

zambo4president
11-18-2008, 02:13 AM
It appears the Giants and A's are battling for him.

-MLBTRADERUMORS.COM

It'd be interesting to see the Giants sign him. Looks like it will be an active off-season for them. Only if Barry Zito didn't suck, they'd be good.

Wait the A`s want to spend money!?

Gigantes4Life
11-18-2008, 02:14 AM
This recent approach by the A's is really surprising.

cuttygiantsfan
11-18-2008, 02:20 AM

defensively???? have you heard of omar vizquel? the best of all time (ozzie played on turf, so every ball had true hops)

Gigantes4Life
11-18-2008, 02:46 AM
Yes but Furcal is almost as good as Omar at this stage in their careers, and five times the hitter.