PDA

View Full Version : Lugo For Dontrelle?

phlp_bj
11-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports on a trade that seems too obvious to actually happen: the Tigers are "contemplating a deal with Boston to send either Nate Robertson or Dontrelle Willis for Julio Lugo, but some money issues must be resolved.

In the same article, he mentions Lugo had the lowest average with runners in scoring position in the majors, .139, and wishes him a happy 33rd birthday.

Jon Paul Morosi of the Detroit Free Press had speculated on this in September.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/11/cafardos-late-1.html

Sportfan
11-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Maybe Farell could make D-train into the Marlin D-Train.

Run Gardner Run
11-16-2008, 04:43 PM
It would be a great trade for the Red Sox. They already have Lowrie, so they dont need Lugo. and Dontrelle COULD become a good pitcher again.

whitesoxfan83
11-16-2008, 04:51 PM
wow wtf are the tigers thinking....

bagwell368
11-16-2008, 05:00 PM
bad deal for Sox. Between Lowell and Ortiz there is a better then 50% chance of big problems at DH or 3B IMO. Move Lowrie to 3B for Lowell, or Lowell to DH for Ortiz, and who is the SS??? Lugo. The Sox would get stuck up having to pay 1.65 on the dollar for a crap SS for '09 after they deal Lugo for the unusable and untradable Willis? Why do that when they have a crap SS already? Stupid idea. Willis will never do anything again, nor will deal old Nate. Lugo and money and kids for Swisher made sense, but that's gone by he boards....

Lugo stays until Lowell and Ortiz prove they are healthy. Lowrie too - he had a pretty serious wrist issue last year. Then they deal him - if it makes sense.

HipSlappyJoe
11-16-2008, 05:10 PM
trash for trash

GiantYankKnicks
11-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Would be a good deal for the Sox if they can get D-Train turned around

BoSox47
11-16-2008, 05:41 PM
bad deal for Sox. Between Lowell and Ortiz there is a better then 50% chance of big problems at DH or 3B IMO. Move Lowrie to 3B for Lowell, or Lowell to DH for Ortiz, and who is the SS??? Lugo. The Sox would get stuck up having to pay 1.65 on the dollar for a crap SS for '09 after they deal Lugo for the unusable and untradable Willis? Why do that when they have a crap SS already? Stupid idea. Willis will never do anything again, nor will deal old Nate. Lugo and money and kids for Swisher made sense, but that's gone by he boards....

Lugo stays until Lowell and Ortiz prove they are healthy. Lowrie too - he had a pretty serious wrist issue last year. Then they deal him - if it makes sense.

The Red Sox are going to try to sign Texiera so Tex wil be at 1B Youk at 3B lowrie SS and pedroia 2B

username26
11-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Stupid, pointless trade.

jcphik
11-16-2008, 05:45 PM
could be a fantastic trade for the Sox, especially if Farrel can work his magic on D-Train

stop40
11-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Another man's trash is another man's trash.

Yankees213
11-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Good trade for the Sox in my opinion. Why not take a chance on Dontrelle, he's proven he can pitch, I'd say Boston coaching staff is capable of turning him around. Lugo's basically useless with Lowrie at Short. You're giving up nothing who will never be much for nothing who has a chance to be pretty good. If Lowell can't play third, Youk will move over. It's easier to get a good first baseman (or turn someone into a first baseman) than to get a third baseman. Good move if the Sox can do it.

Greenmonster24
11-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Migual Tejada is on the trade block so boston could take him if they need to or sign Funcal or Cabera. Cora won't be back either.

Dburch1102
11-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Please bring Dontrelle to Boston... I would love for our bats to face Dontrelle in Boston

bronxbombers427
11-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Good trade for the Sox Lugo is an aboslute money eating trash

yaowowrocket11
11-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Low risk - possible high reward deal here. Both players are trash, and both teams are hoping they can turn it around and be decent.

Epic89
11-16-2008, 06:21 PM
wow wtf are the tigers thinking....

I've been wondering that for some time. And people wonder why I temporarily auctioned off my fanhood

I do Robertson for Lugo in a heartbeat, but not Dontrelle. D-Train showed some promise at the end of last year and at least has done something in his career; Robertson's never done anything but be a #5 starter.

CarniifeX
11-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Fair trade I guess, being as they both suck now.

doyerfan59
11-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Red sox will get more out of it

Lugo will be pathetic for sure

and Willis at least has some hope of being a better player

marques724
11-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Potentially a very good trade for the sox if it happens.

bagwell368
11-16-2008, 07:23 PM
The Red Sox are going to try to sign Texiera so Tex wil be at 1B Youk at 3B lowrie SS and pedroia 2B

Try is the operative word. We'll see. But even if you are right, and they trade Lowell, what if Ortiz springs a leak?

bagwell368
11-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Good trade for the Sox in my opinion. Why not take a chance on Dontrelle, he's proven he can pitch, I'd say Boston coaching staff is capable of turning him around. Lugo's basically useless with Lowrie at Short. You're giving up nothing who will never be much for nothing who has a chance to be pretty good. If Lowell can't play third, Youk will move over. It's easier to get a good first baseman (or turn someone into a first baseman) than to get a third baseman. Good move if the Sox can do it.

When was that? In 2004?

I have to say, I just love hearing fans of other teams have opinions on teams they barely know anything about. Blah blah blah blah. Not you Yankees213, but a couple of others are really laughable.

GrkGawdofWalkz
11-16-2008, 08:33 PM
Take it for what it is, Lugo needs to go, and a SP can help us. Whether it's one or the other, I'm for this.

bartoron
11-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Julio Lugo is terrible, if the Red Sox can get even a bat rack in return for him, then they'll benefit from a trade.

DieHardColtsfan
11-16-2008, 09:09 PM
as a yankee fan, i wouldn't wanna see this go down... i don't think we've seen the end of the D-train worse case scenario he cant pitch anymore put him in the OF and make him your Manny lol.. why does anyone want lugo???

11-16-2008, 09:39 PM
I'd do it. Dontrelle is no gem but lugo is just plain awful.

SouljahPhil...
11-16-2008, 10:05 PM
nice trade for the sox if this happens.....

yahmez88
11-16-2008, 10:27 PM
red sox would be getting the better of this deal if it happens

mark1125
11-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Funny thing is that most of you are assuming it is going to be Wills. Did you miss the part where it mentioned Robertson? I have to believe there would be some salary paying for the Sox if it is Willis. As for Robertson, if you Sox folks want to go to bed dreaming of Nate making this a steal of a deal, you will change your tune after another 2 out/3 run homer.

I get the feeling if you traded Pedroia and Youk for Inge, it would be spun into a steal for the Sox.

earias
11-16-2008, 10:49 PM
i hope it gets done. Best case scenario lugo goes to the tigers and improves, and willis comes to boston and returns to his old self. Worst case scenario they stay the way they are right now. That wouldnt be too bad for boston. Considering that lugo is worthless right now and wont play next year anyways.

Priorities for the sox:

1.Sign Tex to play 1B
2. Trade Lugo for any thing---get him out of boston
3. Resign V-Tex one year base salary of 5 million with incentives that can reach up to 10m and team option for a second year
4. Trade Lowell for pen help
5. work on the bench
6. Trade Coco for top notch prospects

CBON9
11-16-2008, 10:55 PM
could be a fantastic trade for the Sox, especially if Farrel can work his magic on D-Train

Wow. I can't believe the Tigers may pull the trigger on this. Great deal for the Sox, especially considering that you don't even Lugo. It'll be a nice one for you guys!

bagwell368
11-16-2008, 11:24 PM
all the analytic power of a AAA battery in this thread.

Please..... Lugo can be made to shut up like Coco before him, and has utility until they can deal him for something usable. Those broken down bums are incapable of nothing but pitching BP ever again.

mark1125
11-16-2008, 11:40 PM
all the analytic power of a AAA battery in this thread.

Please..... Lugo can be made to shut up like Coco before him, and has utility until they can deal him for something usable. Those broken down bums are incapable of nothing but pitching BP ever again.

Thank you. I have watched Robertson and Willis all season. HORRIBLE.

Not to mention that everyone assumes it is Willis in the deal and not Nate.

People are talk,ing about Willis as if it is 2004.

Personally, I am not sure why the Sox do it. They have some health issues with Ortiz/Lowell and may end up needing Lugo's services. Yes.....Lugo is overpaid and not a great player, but he could prove to be more valuble than a 5th starter/mop up pitcher.

PS. If the Sox want to trade Lugo for Robertson, I am all for it.

CHRISDODGERS
11-16-2008, 11:44 PM
WTF?? This is garbage for garbage... :pity:

BTownTeamsRKing
11-16-2008, 11:45 PM
do it. lugo has no place on this team.

tomno00
11-17-2008, 12:22 AM
lugo can at least be a good bench player. I dont know WTF the sox will do with willis..... I think I could hit off ****ing willis.

Gunzito22
11-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Wow. I can't believe the Tigers may pull the trigger on this. Great deal for the Sox, especially considering that you don't even Lugo. It'll be a nice one for you guys!

the tigers are feeling the pressure from the White Sox who currently hold the offseason title for "worst possible off-season trade" in the AL Central after the Swisher Deal.

you would THINK that if you are trading an SP with promise for someone else's headache @ SS, you would AT LEAST try ad pry a prospect for him (or a middle reliever like Javy Lopez, etc)... remember, Detroit tried this with Renteria, and that went down the crap pipe...

VERY GOOD deal for Boston if they pay nothing more than Lugo, even if Dontrelle is "OK" we will be better then the back of the rotation they faced last season (byrd, Bartolo Colon, Bucholtz.... actually quite painful)

my only concern is does D-train have the testicular fortitude to handle floundering in Boston, on account of the hostile Boston Media...

MagicBucsSox
11-17-2008, 10:36 AM
i think being back around beckett,farrell and the nation could resurge the guy heck id be happy with 13 wins out the guy which would be more than we'd get outta lugo who got a free championship like gagne

bagwell368
11-17-2008, 10:39 AM
VERY GOOD deal for Boston if they pay nothing more than Lugo, even if Dontrelle is "OK" we will be better then the back of the rotation they faced last season (byrd, Bartolo Colon, Bucholtz.... actually quite painful)

har har

Colon ERA+ 118
Byrd w/ Boston ERA+ 97
Bucholz ERA+ 68 (but 298 year before, and at age 23 worth some growing pains)

Willis - ERA+ in '07 = 83
Willis - ERA+ in '08 = 47

AL East > AL Central

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head (the nail on your thumb)

nygiants242
11-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Great trade for the Sox. I hope this happens. Our pitching is INCREDIBLE and Lugo sucks. Im excited to possibly see Lowrie start at SS.

bagwell368
11-17-2008, 10:42 AM
i think being back around beckett,farrell and the nation could resurge the guy heck id be happy with 13 wins out the guy which would be more than we'd get outta lugo who got a free championship like gagne

Willis will never get 13 wins again - in the Majors - esp in the AL East. Come on!

Lugo may suck, but at a 78 OPS+, he is 78% as good offensively as the average AL player - pretty good for a SS actually. Plus Lugo stole 33 bases in '07 w/ only 6 CS. In Lugo's career his error percentage is worse then average, but his range is above average. After his hard landing in Boston, why do you assume he won't do his best to get the heck out of Boston if he hates it so much.

Meanwhile Willis was 47% as good as the average pitcher last year in a weaker division. Can Willis be a pinch runner? Plus Willis is a terrible fielding pitcher BTW.

What game R U watching?

EricU812
11-17-2008, 10:56 AM
I don't understand this from the Tigers organization. Aren't they a team who was STRUGGLING for starting pitching? So they are going to trade away a possible stud...who is in all likely hood past his prime, however its a chance worth taking if your them.

Is Lugo really an upgrade over Edgar Renteria? I know he's a free agent, but is Lugo your answer? I don't think so.

And the Red Sox want to trade Lugo for anything, they don't need starters...and they could probably put Paps in the starting rotation if they wanted. Its a win win for them. They win because Lugo is gone, and they win if D-Train gets back on track. Even if he's just filling seats in the minor league games.

MagicBucsSox
11-17-2008, 11:19 AM
hey he can still beat the jays and orioles plus i dont believe the rays are real ,they went back to being the devil rays in the WS so idk, why not

epgelinas
11-17-2008, 11:40 AM
It could be a win-win situation for both teams. If nothing changes these guys probably do nothing in the minors or on the bench the next 2-3 seasons. Personally I'd rather have Robertson tha D-Train but I think either would fill a bullpen/spot starter role. I think Robertson has less chance of having an ego that would allow his demotion. Of course I'm basing this on nothing but a guess!
As far as What the Tigers are thinking.... the BoSox are starting to build a track record of signing SS that can't hack Boston but do well when they move on... including Renteria.

If the Sox committ to Lowrie they definitely gotta bring back Cora or another solid backup because i'm not sure we have anyone in the minors we can bring up. Keeping in mind bringing up a prospect to sit on the bench 6 of 7 days doesn't develope talent.

I like the deal from a RedSox standpoint because we cant lose. Lugo was probably gonna be a utility player at best the season.

BoSoxGreen18
11-17-2008, 11:48 AM
I dont know why people dont like this deal for the sox... it makes sense for both side, each taking a chance on potential bounce-back for their respective pickups. who knows, maybe the sox will convert d-train to the pen and he can become a great end of the game guy or something, you never really know... different coaches, different atmosphere, all of it comes into play

CityofChamps924
11-17-2008, 01:30 PM
I like this trade especially if the Red Sox sign Teixeira. An infield of Teixeira, Pedroia, Lowrie, and Youkillis is young and healthy, so there is little need for a $9 million backup. There are any number of available utility players, even Cora for another year. Despite his struggles, Willis has had tremendous success in the past and seems to be a good clubhouse presence. If he doesn't pan out, its no big deal, there is fairly low risk compared to the possible reward.

I see no point to this trade for Detroit, however. Lugo has zero pop and is below average in the field (It has been a pain watching him these last two years as a Red Sox fan). They should just hang on to Willis and hope he turns it around, and if he doesn't just eat the contract. Thats all they'd be doing with Lugo anyway.

bagwell368
11-17-2008, 02:16 PM
I like this trade especially if the Red Sox sign Teixeira. An infield of Teixeira, Pedroia, Lowrie, and Youkillis is young and healthy, so there is little need for a $9 million backup. There are any number of available utility players, even Cora for another year. Despite his struggles, Willis has had tremendous success in the past and seems to be a good clubhouse presence. If he doesn't pan out, its no big deal, there is fairly low risk compared to the possible reward.

I see no point to this trade for Detroit, however. Lugo has zero pop and is below average in the field (It has been a pain watching him these last two years as a Red Sox fan). They should just hang on to Willis and hope he turns it around, and if he doesn't just eat the contract. Thats all they'd be doing with Lugo anyway.

So how much is it going to cost to rid yourself of Lugo and Lowell? Also a capable INF back-up since Cora sucks ash in the worst way. I'd rather keep Lugo and take a shot at stoking his trade value while he tries to do the Cora thing at a minimum or perhaps more if an injury should arise - which they often do.

At least Lugo can pinch run - 33 SB with 6 CS in '07, has about average range at SS along with an error prone arm true. But at about an 87 OPS+ he is pretty average for a SS offensively. Willis can't run, is an abysmal fielder - one of the worst in baseball, and will never cut in the AL East.

bagwell368
11-17-2008, 02:19 PM
I dont know why people dont like this deal for the sox... it makes sense for both side, each taking a chance on potential bounce-back for their respective pickups. who knows, maybe the sox will convert d-train to the pen and he can become a great end of the game guy or something, you never really know... different coaches, different atmosphere, all of it comes into play

How much of these two bums have you watched in the past couple of years? I would wager less then me. There is no way to reclaim them. They are junk. Detroit can keep their junk. We'll keep ours - at least our junk can pinch run, and play SS and 3B, and hold a bat, and for a SS hit about average, or a tad below. Utility is the name of the game, he brings something, perhaps more if needed. Those guys bring nothing - esp in the AL East unless you want the Sox to lose.

mark1125
11-17-2008, 03:12 PM
How much of these two bums have you watched in the past couple of years? I would wager less then me. There is no way to reclaim them. They are junk. Detroit can keep their junk. We'll keep ours - at least our junk can pinch run, and play SS and 3B, and hold a bat, and for a SS hit about average, or a tad below. Utility is the name of the game, he brings something, perhaps more if needed. Those guys bring nothing - esp in the AL East unless you want the Sox to lose.

I think you are speaking to brick walls that assume that anything the Sox crap out turns to gold. I think they cling to 04 and hope Willis will bounce back. As someone who watched him walk batter after batter after batter can attest........WILLIS AND ROBERTSONS SUCK BADLY!!!!

If Bostonians want to cling to 04', you can have Willis with my blessing. Keep Lugo.

nithanyo
11-17-2008, 03:42 PM

.....and hinske:mad:

bagwell368
11-17-2008, 10:50 PM
I think you are speaking to brick walls that assume that anything the Sox crap out turns to gold. I think they cling to 04 and hope Willis will bounce back. As someone who watched him walk batter after batter after batter can attest........WILLIS AND ROBERTSONS SUCK BADLY!!!!

If Bostonians want to cling to 04', you can have Willis with my blessing. Keep Lugo.

Yes quite, hence why I say U guys keep your trash, we'll keep ours.